Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    How about battery life... The G1 had worse battery life than the Pre.

2 things keeping me from switching (in the back of my mind) are the virtual keyboard and the battery life.

Hows the life doing on the battery. And which would you prefer to type on. Physical is way better but how easy is it on the Hero?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    i have been using it for 30 minutes and it already dropped so much
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
  3.    #143  
    Way less lag on the Hero for sure. The browser may be a little less smooth when pinching, but there is a lot less pinching required because the type is larger and repaginates - so its less work to view web sites. And less eye strain because of the larger type. Haven't used email much yet, but setup was easy and switching between 3 accounts is very easy.
    How are the apps? Lots to choose from? Useful ones?
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    More apps then you can ever want. I have been playing with it all day trying to get everything setup and this phone is not laggy at all. Typing is just a hair behind your touch but not noticable unless you looking for it. This is way better than the mytouch. I am typing this from the hero. The web browser is not as smooth as the pre though
  6.    #146  
    The one place I see lag is rotating the phone from vertical to horizontal takes -a sec. I too a writing this on the Hero from a bar watching the Yankees game :-)
    +1000 on the more apps than you know what to do with, also the HERO ships with a bootloader that supports Fastboot right from the door! I couldnt beleive it when i seen it as all my other Android phones have had the long tedious method to get the engineering bootloader to flash custom community builds to speed up and add features to the phone. thats another thing i disliked about the pre, if you want something specific to the OS fixed your stuck until they put out an update as almost all the stuff is closed source. I have NATIVE Ubuntu 9.04 on the Phone, no duel boot SSH method i'm talking the real Full ubuntu, i'm slowly working on porting the things i'd like to use often over to arm from the ubuntu repo. It is really nice to be able to reflash with litterally no worries about bricking so long as you know how to use the Jtag setup to reflash a SPL.

Ok too much babbling. Android/HTC phones are the best hands down.
  8.    #148  
    I can't say enough about the repagination on the Hero's browser so your words are never running off the page. It's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    Watching all the videos of the Hero on youtube, it seems much more snappier than the Pre. The lag on the Pre really annoys me. It shouldn't take 5-10 secs to load up the Text threads.
    thats all you man my pre is very fast
    I too picked up a Hero this morning. I have played with it all day. So far it has far less lag than my Pre does. The email for me running gmail and a Pop3 is much better. However the pinch and zoom stutters it seems like. So far I really like the Hero. It runs nice and smooth and feels great in the hand. Hardwear wise it is far better. However I do miss the universal search feature the Pre has and the cards. While the Hero does muti task its not the same as the Pre and better or worse just different.

The feature I like the most is the abiltiy to fully customize the 7 Home screens with whatever you want.
    I too grabbed one to try. I'm having trouble readjusting to the on screen keyboard.
    The apps are good and I love that LLAYER REALITY BROWSER. The web is a tad slower than the pre. The camera doesnt snap as fast as the Pre, but has zoom and video recording, BUT there are many camera apps that you can grab that improve on that. The compass works pretty good. And no lag at all on mine, and it basically has universal search built right in. Facebook integration is far better than on the PRE. Status' go right on the contact and you can respond directly to Facebook. And the APP memory is whatever size card you have in it.
    3D games are decent, and all the apps load very fast.
    Plus call blocker, screener, quick text from call, etc...
    I hope I find something not to like, because I love the PRE..
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I think it's great that we live in an age where there's more then ONE good phone
    -m
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I have the Pre and the Sprint Hero. I'll start by saying they are both great devices but it depends on your needs/requirements. If you have questions compairing the two devices please ask and ill answer the best I can.
    I love the call blocker. That's just cool. Visual voicemail is awesome too
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Jbcellular, which phone would be best for a first time smart phone buyer? I have never had a smart phone. I use my phone for texts and talking now, obviously. But I want to try a smartphone and see what I've been missing.

I honestly don't NEED one, I just want it for fun. But it still needs to be a communication device first and foremost. Also I am not super technical so I won't do much if any modding.

Thanks
    Played with it a little. Not laggy at all and performance is fine. I think it looks slick but the interface is clunky and inconsistent due to the whole widget/app dichotomy and multiple screens.

For me, I'd need a physical keyboard but for those that don't I think it's a legit iPhone alternative.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    I have the Pre and the Sprint Hero. I'll start by saying they are both great devices but it depends on your needs/requirements. If you have questions compairing the two devices please ask and ill answer the best I can.
    Hi, can you please pull up the same browser page on each phone and let me know which one is easier to read, I think the OP stated the fonts are a little larger on the Hero.

Also can you play around with the calendar and let me know if any lag, compared to the pre.

and finally , can you please check the apps if any good pim's and office suites. Thanks
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    So far there is nothing unresponsive about it. Indeed less lag than my Pre - no noticable lag at all.

The launching of apps is very, very fast: email and sms apps launch in maybe .3 seconds.

The Hero seems to shut down in about 1 second. Agian, very fast.
    Startup takes about 1:05, then another 30 sec to stabaliz after lock screen.
    After booting email takes under 2 sec to start. Anytine after that it's instantaneous to start it.
    Messaging takes around 1 sec the first time after boot, and it's instantaneous after that (until the next boot.)

Very refreshing to be able to use web sites with Flash! I work in the photography industry, and there are many, many sites I use every day which are flash-based.

Both browsers seem to be equally fast when loading pages via Wifi.
    Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated on any comparisons you find between one over the other. I'm looking for comparisons on the calendar and comparisons of multi-tasking on one vs the other.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macjazzy View Post
    Jbcellular, which phone would be best for a first time smart phone buyer? I have never had a smart phone. I use my phone for texts and talking now, obviously. But I want to try a smartphone and see what I've been missing.
    I would start by asking; what is it you need/want? Work from there and then find the device/tool that fits your needs. I think they both are great devices but it depends on what you need/want. One example is a keyboard. Do you need a keyboard or are you fine using an on screen keyboard? If you are coming from a "regular" (non pda/smart phone) then I would say either of these devices will offer some "cool" new features. If you have specific requirements let me know and I'll give you my opinion on the two devices.

I look at devices a little different. I use tools as an example. You need the right tool for the/your job. Once you know the job and expectations you can get the correct tool.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Is there Telenav for it? Does it use the compass? Seems like it could make it update a lot faster when you get off track.

Hows the media player? Is there a podcast downloader app?

I'm considering switching but damn I'd miss Telenav, Music Player Remix and DrPodder.
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast