Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    No keyboard on the Hero made me say no until it comes down in price and available under my demo, my pre is only used for my tether and thats about it. it needs to have a trackball for me to be able to use make use with my habits. I bought a almost new mytouch on Flexpay and am loving it, it was hard to give up my G1 with the keyboard and trackball but their still able to be used when i swap my sim so i'll live with it. Hero is nice but now that the source is available i dont need it as their interface is going on my mytouch.
    I work for sprint and there are no supporting documents ANYWHERE stating that we are even carrying the Hero. Its not in our upcoming playbook, no on the handset hot sheets, not on the new mail in rebates. NOWHERE I searched our internal sites at work and found release dates for all the new dumb phones and smart phones and the Hero was not listed anywhere
    Oh yes! You can bet if you drop it in just the right place - like I did with a plastic protector cover on it will be loose. I bought one a month ago and it was loose brand new. So I took it back before my 30days was up and got a rock solid one that was very tight. Until the drop on my hardwood floors. Right then I called Sprint and got the $7 Ins. - The phone needs to be beefed up for sure any time you have a moving part with the high potential of dropping - you had better make sure you engineer that puppy to withstand some drops. I had the Muziq Phone and dropped it so many times and submerged it in water twice and the thing still works.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Is the Pre not the flagship phone we thought it would be?

I find it interesting that there is no support for visual voicemail on the Pre still BUT the Hero does have VV according to

Sprint announces Android HTC Hero | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

It's not the end-all be all for a phone but there is going to be a serious loss of drive for the Palm unless they market hard to corporate users and lovers of the jelly keyboard
    This is probably more of an issue getting Palm to get the code working with VVM rather than Sprint just not doing it for the Pre. I wouldn't be surprised if we see VVM on the Pre at some point.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    i hope so
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Is the Pre not the flagship phone we thought it would be?

I find it interesting that there is no support for visual voicemail on the Pre still BUT the Hero does have VV according to

Sprint announces Android HTC Hero | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

It's not the end-all be all for a phone but there is going to be a serious loss of drive for the Palm unless they market hard to corporate users and lovers of the jelly keyboard
    Come January, Verizon will have the Pre which we knew back in June. So nope, its not the flagship phone you thought it would be.
    It'll hit the Pre at some undetermined point down the line. In the meantime, Sprint has a hotter phone to sell (the first of many, thank goodness), and they're doing for $20 less than the Pre and emphasizing the "thousands" of apps available in the press release.

Palm needs to start erasing these competitive advantages against other Sprint phones pronto. It's still a good 3-4 months before the Pre will be sold anywhere else in America.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Yeah I may be jumping ship... The hero looks more up my alley then the pre which i've had since launch. I like it a lot but this seems like it'll be able to do more for me in the end.
    ZNA03 what were you looking for when you bought the Pre? What does the Hero do that the Pre can't? Just interested not looking to pick a fight. I like to hear why people are going to jump ship so fast.
    I've used the Visual Voicemail on the G1 with T-Mobile... if it works the same way (which I assume it will since it is available in the android market) it's not the same as on the iPhone... it's a pretty cool feature, but doesnt require as much carrier support as on the iPhone or the BB Storm. It basically just downloads your voicemail from your voicemail inbox, and I assume it doesn't require as much support from the carrier. Plus, you can still access your voicemail from any other phone (which actually I guess is a bonus), they're just marked as read.

I think if Palm were to introduce a VVM that worked in a similar manner for the Pre, Sprint would be able to roll it out pretty quickly.
    so if Pre is not the flagship phone for Sprint, what is?

i could really use that visual voicemail

does the hero NOT have a keyboard? thats a deal breaker for me,main reason why i'd never consider an iphone
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    ZNA03 what were you looking for when you bought the Pre? What does the Hero do that the Pre can't? Just interested not looking to pick a fight. I like to hear why people are going to jump ship so fast.
    Honestly dude, I just like new electronics. The whole not knowing exactly how to operate a new device and learning tricks and stuff like that is fun for me. I'll probably jump off the hero ship when something better comes along. I don't stick to phones very long, my girlfriend usually upgrades to my old phones when I upgrade to a newer one so it usually isn't a total waste of $$.
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    Honestly dude, I just like new electronics. The whole not knowing exactly how to operate a new device and learning tricks and stuff like that is fun for me. I'll probably jump off the hero ship when something better comes along. I don't stick to phones very long, my girlfriend usually upgrades to my old phones when I upgrade to a newer one so it usually isn't a total waste of $$.
    I am actually the same way. I just think this time I'm going to stick with the Palm Pre. My girlfriend always complains I'm spending more money on my phones than her. ( which is so not true) I always tell her though "At least I'm exchanging phones and not girlfriends". haha
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Glad I'm not alone here. I usually go find a new phone every 6 months or so just... because. Technology: its addicting!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I am actually the same way. I just think this time I'm going to stick with the Palm Pre. My girlfriend always complains I'm spending more money on my phones than her. ( which is so not true) I always tell her though "At least I'm exchanging phones and not girlfriends". haha
    If your girlfriend complains you aren't spending enough money on her, dump her.

Now if she says you pay too much attention to your phones, and not enough to her, she may have a valid point
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    lol exactly, I mean I don't hate this phone one bit. In fact it's my favorite so far besides an old slider phone I had but that was a while ago and to todays standards wouldn't mean ****.

I just like new and exciting things, hence why I have all 3 of the major game consoles when I could literally just use my xbox and be happy.
    I like the 5mp camera, but wouldn't jump onboard with Android as I have invested too much in WebOs. I am in for the long haul.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    This is probably more of an issue getting Palm to get the code working with VVM rather than Sprint just not doing it for the Pre. I wouldn't be surprised if we see VVM on the Pre at some point.
    That is kind of the story of the Pre. It will be there one day. That is said for just about everything, except maybe 3D gaming though that is not totally ruled out yet either. It should be the new add campaign.... Get a Palm Pre, it will have all the features you want! One day, we think.
    I'm just in wait and see mode.

Thanks to Palm not getting the App Catalog up and functional, I have exactly ZERO invested in the Pre (aside from the device cost, which I can offset by selling it wholesale - although, embarrassingly enough, you can get a Pre on Craigslist for almost the same price you can on contract with Sprint).

I'm willing to give Palm time to address some of my concerns, but that time will be greatly reduced if I try out the Hero and it runs smoother all around than the Pre.

I mean:

- it's cheaper
    - has thousands of real apps
    - has a higher megapixel camera
    - has visual voicemail
    - has a higher-resourced company behind it
    - has a compass enabling Augmented Reality apps
    - has a slightly larger screen
    - has video recording
    - has Synergy-esque contacts and messaging integration

But Palm has me for now. Will they keep me? That's up to them.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast