Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrown1275 View Post
    I also am a Pre owner who bought that Hero on Sunday. Even though I love the way the Hero looks and feels; I could not handle the virtual keyboard. I really gave it try, but even with the predictive text feature, my hands are too big for the onscreen keyboard. I am taking it back today and keeping my Pre.
    Two things to try before taking it back.

1. Don't try to type with the tips of your thumbs. I started doing it that way because I was trying to be accurate. But the Hero's predictive keyboard does just fine, even if it feels like you're "mashing" 2 or 3 keys at the same time. My accuracy has increased by worrying less about being precise.

2. Run the calibration utility. This helps a lot.

I've had the Hero 4 days now, and I'm getting more comfortable with the virtual keyboard quickly. Those 2 tips helped a great deal.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Two things to try before taking it back.

1. Don't try to type with the tips of your thumbs. I started doing it that way because I was trying to be accurate. But the Hero's predictive keyboard does just fine, even if it feels like you're "mashing" 2 or 3 keys at the same time. My accuracy has increased by worrying less about being precise.

2. Run the calibration utility. This helps a lot.

I've had the Hero 4 days now, and I'm getting more comfortable with the virtual keyboard quickly. Those 2 tips helped a great deal.
    okay thanks for the advice I will try that out and see if I feel better about it
    Quote Originally Posted by vanityeverlastingbonet View Post
    I have found this one but it look ugly & cheap compared to this hot forum
    Sprint HTC Hero - Android Forums

I will make my decision soon bout if i will stay with pre by the 20th
    Oh, now that's a good reason to choose which phone to buy: which has the best looking online forum. Is this chick for real?

Windzilla, I'm not suggesting it makes sense for someone currently in contract on a Pre to jump to the Hero. In fact, I didn't suggest it makes sense for anyone to jump to the Hero. As I said, I'm not sure either is where it needs to be, yet, so I'm waiting.

But to address some of your comments directly:

1. Agree WinMo sucks, I have a P-OS Treo, and I'm already on Sprint, so no gain or loss there (for me).
    2. My Treo runs legacy P-OS apps better than the Pre, so no reason there for me to switch, although it might be a reason NOT to switch to a Hero. But as long as I can get equivalents to the apps I need, I'm not wedded to any specific P-OS app.
    3. I like the concept of WebOS better than I like WebOS. It still feels like a beta to me. Too many missing features compared to other phones (even my antique Treo), too little customization, too few apps, too many bugs (although that's getting better). And for me, the PIM apps, especially the calendar, don't make it. The calendar is the most important piece of software I run, and the Pre's is just too limited. I could run Datebk6 through Classic, but why bother? It runs fine on my Treo.

I too hope Palm gets WebOS and the apps to where they need to be, for me. But I'm less optimistic than you. I'm sure Palm's intentions are good, but I'm not sure their funding and resources will let them compete at the highest levels.

And I'm not at all convinced Palm sees any value in upgrading the PIM apps. Yes, that's Palm's legacy, but the old Palm is gone. I suspect most of the old P-OS knowledge went out the door when they sold the rights to the OS, and the new generation is more Apple than legacy Palm. And Apple's never treated the PIM apps as key. Maybe third party vendors will fill the void.

As you say, it's a personal choice. And I choose to wait and see what develops. I'd love to get rid of my antique, but the Pre doesn't do it yet, and I'm not quite ready to give up on a physical keyboard.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Is this chick for real?
    check the myspace page in her sig, she is a trip.

In fact, I didn't suggest it makes sense for anyone to jump to the Hero. As I said, I'm not sure either is where it needs to be, yet, so I'm waiting.
    Sorry to put words in your mouth, I agree that it doesn't feel mature in the way P-OS does or even WM.

And I'm not at all convinced Palm sees any value in upgrading the PIM apps. Yes, that's Palm's legacy, but the old Palm is gone. I suspect most of the old P-OS knowledge went out the door when they sold the rights to the OS, and the new generation is more Apple than legacy Palm. And Apple's never treated the PIM apps as key. Maybe third party vendors will fill the void.
    yea, I am most uneasy about the PIM features and updates. they have already done some major fixing, like the task app which was unusable, it almost has me bring back the pre, as i rely more on tasks than calandar. I still haven't found a solution anywhere that has the robust tree-based, branch sharing, fully calander and contact integrated tasking that I want in my ideal world, running on my phone. IE the hero, or whatever it is won't do it, so I stick to using desktop solutions as it is.

I haven't been as tied to palm as a legacy treo user, and I can understand the pessimism given palms lackluster history of updates in the past few years.

for the both of us I hope palm makes some PIM improvments soon and 3rd party solutions keep rolling in.
  5.    #325  
    This fix is not perfect yet, but it increased my battery life 3x! Especially while idle my phone went from 10% usage per hour to 3.5%, which would be 28 hours of idle time when this fix is finished.

Source of Hero's poor battery life

Basically the "Phone" app is preventing the phone from entering sleep/idle mode, even when it appears to be sleeping.

Some programmers are working on it:
    http://developer.android.com/referen...TIAL_WAKE_LOCK
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 10/14/2009 at 11:16 AM.
    this is pre-central. no one give a ***** about hero battery life. if i did i would be on the hero-central website.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    this is pre-central. no one give a ***** about hero battery life. if i did i would be on the hero-central website.
    He's posting correctly in the Cross-Platform area.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    Um seriously?
    I hope you got a warning like I did round here for that type of language..
  9.    #329  
    Stop all the hating guys. They are just phones. These are not life and death matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcode View Post
    He's posting correctly in the Cross-Platform area.
    Thanks for that.

Note to all:
    Please, no Flaming.
    Also watch the language. The filters are there as a secondary precaution.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...uncements.html

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    I have a rubber case on on and it feels super solid and very rigid.
    Is the rubber case from the Sprint store that comes in a two-pack? Does it fit tightly around the phone so the phone doesn't feel loose in the case?
  12.    #332  
    The Sprint store's rubber case is very snug on the Hero. Fits quite well. It's a little too thick though, IMO.
  13.    #333  
    Battery problem workaround: use a different texting app: (from the Sprint forum here:
    Source of Hero's poor battery life)

THIS IS THE FIX!!!!

Go download ChompSMS for free from Marketplace. Use that instead, it looks just like iPhone SMS and works great. I've tried sending/receiving a bunch of texts and Dialer is behaving!!! I LOVE ANDROID. No other mobile OS could you just download a different SMS client!

-----

More of a work around than a fix but you are 100% correct! Just tested and confirmed on my phone too. I don't really love the client heh. But My phone is sleeping properly after having sent a text through comp instead of through the original sms client. And I agree completely, no other phone would let you just do that.

-----
    When you start up the phone, make sure you are the one putting it to sleep and it's not auto sleep (screen dims). Then it sleeps.

Finally when sending/receiving texts use either ChompSMS or another SMS client other than the built-in Messages app and you will be flying high!!

Make sure you reboot (poweroff/on) your phone before you start using ChompSMS or another SMS app exclusively so any issue caused by the Messages app has been cleared.

Not only is the battery drain gone for me my phone is charging twice as fast!

-----

Go to Messages (The app) > Settings > Notifications. You can turn it off there. I had been using chompsms since I got the phone, knew about it before I got it, and it's a great app.
  14.    #334  
    1. Go to HTC's website and install the latest version of HTC Sync or install it off the memory card. (If your memory card isnt mounting properly make sure that you go into your notifications and select the USB symbol, and "Mount" your memory card.

2. Set your phone in Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Sharing.
    Make sure this is checked. (You may also need to set your Hero to Debugging mode, do this by going to Settings > Applications > Development > Check USB debugging.

3. When you do the above step, windows should find your device and ask you to install drivers for an "Android phone". Sprint or HTC doesn't tell you that these drivers were installed with the HTC sync software. They should be located by default in your C:\program files\htc\htc drivers directory. Point the driver to this directory and install them. Check your device manager, you should see a network adapter named Android NDIS adapter or something to that effect.

4. Unplug your existing network connection from your computer and/or disable its wireless connection and windows should establish a network connection on its own.

(originally posted on androidforums.com)
    I'm considering to switch to Hero from Pre. Pre is a really nice phone with the excellent webos system. But many small bugs, lag, freezing up just ****ed me off.

Before I make the switch, I want to make sure Hero is as good as what I heard:

1. Hero only has <300M ROM and RAM, how does this handle the future O/S updates and mult-running apps?

2. Does Hero have an app limit like Iphone or Pre? LIke how many apps you can get at most, or you can get apps up to ***Mb?

3. I heard Hero doesn't allow to store downloaded apps to the microSD card, which leads to another similar quesiton, with the <300M memory, there will be a small room for applications.

4. Can you use Hero as a USB drive to drag and drop files(mp3, video, pictures, documents) to Hero from the computer? When you send an email from Hero, can you attach the files that you copied to the Hero even though Hero can't read the file(say some strange format file)? I know Pre can do this.

5. Can you create as many pictures folders as you want on Hero when you copying pictures from your computer so you can see pictures in different folders on Hero to better browse? I heard you can't create different photo folders on Hero and all photo are stored in one folder which is very crowded and hard to browse. Same question for mp3 / video folders.

6. Is it true that you don't know which app is running at background or which app is closed by Hero? Is there a limit on how many apps you can open at the same time? Is it easy to switch between them, (like pre)?

7. Can the battery last more than a day with moderate to heavy use? I heard it's way better than Pre battery.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by bikini; 10/14/2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Wait for the "Samsung Moment". It's the first Samsung phone with Android coming to sprint November 1st.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    3. It doesnt give me an option where to download apps when downloading from the Market

4. yes you can use it as a USB drive

5. I havent been able to create new folders but still trying.

6. it doesnt run multiple apps per say, some of the processes are still running so when you open the app back up it opens to where you left off (not all apps) Pre def. has the advantage there. I use TasKiller, app similar to the HTC Task Manager.

7. Battery life is great on the Hero with heavy usage.
  18.    #338  
    There are two very good and free memory apps which list what is running - just click an app name to close it. It's as easy as it could possibly be.
    Many apps close themselves when you back out of them with the Back key.
    Anyway there is really no lag to speak of as far as I have seen - been using the Hero since Friday.
    Someone else can answer the rest of your questions, or ask them over here where they just solved the battery draining issue in a few hours!
  19.    #339  
    re #6: holding down the home key brings up a list of the 6 most recently used apps and makes switching apps a breeze. This was not shown in any of the Hero review videos I have seen.
    I currently own the Pre and got my wife the Hero, and i am thinking baout jumping to the Hero, I always wanted a Andriod phone, if Palm would not come out with the Pre i would have definetly got the Hero, and now i cant decide what to do, the Hero has awesome games and lot of apps and the ease of use it outstanding. But I do like the Pre for all of it cards and multi tasking. Any thoughts be great.