Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I agree.

the pre has more potential for speed fluidity graphics ect period. Even if all things were better on the hero today, I still wouldn't buy it. Assuming palm keeps updating and turning on features like they have, the pre MAY out perform the hero by its first birthday. I will have this phone for two years. I worry that if I switched to a hero, by christmas the pre will close whatever gap exists, and by next summer will have left it in the dust.
    Fixed it for ya.

The problem is that the Pre is, at this point, all potential. Great hardward potential, but the build quality issues give me pause, as does the teeny tiny keyboard. The OS provides a great interface, but needs lots of optimization for performance, and still lacks basic features, such as customization without hacking. Multi-tasking is great, but the apps available to multi-task are, to a large extent, still amateurish and lightweight. There are virtually no signifiant business class apps available. And this weeks Sidekick debacle points out the need to have a real local backup capability (even if the impact of a similar problem would be less on the Pre).

Assuming all these things will be fixed by next summer is a leap of faith. So far Palm's barely begun addressing the problems. And software updates won't address the fragile hardware.

I think I'm going to hold off, and keep my aging Treo, for a while longer. The Treo does everything I need it to do (though not everything I wished it would do) better than the Pre right now. Six months from now there may be a Hero 2 (or a major software update to the Hero), or a Pre 2 with better hardware and significant software updates. Of a newer, better phone from Microsoft or someone else.

I'm hesitant to buy potential. Six months from now, or at most a year from now, even if the Pre lives up to its potential, there will be even newer competitors. When I buy something I expect it to meet my needs today, not maybe meet my needs at some vague date in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't disagree. If Palm needs more manpower, then start hiring. WebOS needs updates. Stop launching after Verizon & others and focus.
    Unfortunately, staffing up takes money, which Palm isn't exactly swimming in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    yap I know and its a great phone probably better then the pre at the moment because it has a ton of options but I just like to keep things simple and for the most part I use my phone for e-mail/text/talk/music, and those things I feel are easier to do on the palm pre.
    I think dkotoric is on to something. The Pre is focused on different things than was the P-OS platform, or the Google platform. The P-OS was focused on being a phone + PIM. Multimedia, text and email were added later. Thanks to 3rd party apps, it did those things very well, in some cases better than anyone else, but they still weren't the primary focus.

The Pre, like the iPhone, is more an entertainment and communication device, not a PIM. Just look at how obviously little effort went into the PIM apps.

Android tries to straddle both, I think. It better addresses the business use of a smartphone, but still adds much better communication and web integration tool than the Treo. I'm not sure Palm has any intention, ever, of turning the Pre into a serious business device. And who can blame them? Look at the sales of the iPod. The consumer is where the money is.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 10/13/2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Anyone knows how the HTC hero deals with uploading picturres/mp3/videos from the computer? Is it like the Pre that can be used as a USB drive and just drag and drop the files into hero?

One thing I don't like about Iphone is you have to do everything through Itunes.
    Buddy of mine works at Sprint said the Sprint "Moment" is coming out soon. Android + physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Fixed it for ya.

I think I'm going to hold off, and keep my aging Treo, for a while longer. The Treo does everything I need it to do (though not everything I wished it would do) better than the Pre right now. Six months from now there may be a Hero 2 (or a major software update to the Hero), or a Pre 2 with better hardware and significant software updates. Of a newer, better phone from Microsoft or someone else.

I'm hesitant to buy potential. Six months from now, or at most a year from now, even if the Pre lives up to its potential, there will be even newer competitors. When I buy something I expect it to meet my needs today, not maybe meet my needs at some vague date in the future.

Unfortunately, staffing up takes money, which Palm isn't exactly swimming in right now.
    nah, Its not fixed, its broken, again, what are you Itunes?

I said assuming that palm does the optimizations the hardware is there already. I make no bones that it takes faith in palm.

from my perspective, a current pre owner who went from a zire 72 to a n810 with garnet running on maemo to an Omnia i910 WM phone now to a pre. the pre is the first device that i feel satiated with.

I left the WM phone, terminating my contract early and switching form verizon because
    1 Price, sprint is cheaper and has a better discount with my school, so that's not relevent to the hero, but it is the most important part for me.
    2 ability to run legacy palm OS apps, Epocrates is an absolute requirement for me
    3 really like webOS and, for me, all of the PIM functions "just" make it. they need improvement, no doubt about that, but for me, they are passable. strong in someways week in others. bottom line is, they work for me now, i would never have bought the phone if they didn't. and, now with the sync of classic, I have lots more options.

What you say about the treo, is how i feel about the moving from a pre to a hero. I know it is a gamble that palm will continue to grow and improve webOS, but thats a pretty good bet, seeing as they continue to release this phone to more and more markets. I don't see any indication that updates are about to stop and this is the end. Nobody knows what will happen in the future updates, but there are some good indications that camera and gpu functions will come, that PIM is the bread and butter of palm and will be improved.

I guess my question is, Why would I go out and spend more money on a phone (the hero) in order to replace a phone that currently functions well for me, and the potential to out-stripe the hero in many areas, within the year? what are the indications that palm is dropping support for the pre and won't be adding functionality to it? is it the recent updates, the announcement of things like flash, the opening of paid apps, the pixi or slew of international releases like todays that are giving people concern about palms intent to support webOS and the Pre going forward?

I know, tongue in cheek, but for my money, the pre works, and i'm not going to uproot to a device with an inferior processor, and no palm legacy compatibility just because the ui feels a little smoother, the app catalog/sdk isn't beta, and PIM is more refined?

that is of course a personal opinion and I am only defending it in regards to myself. I am not saying that the pre is better than the hero bar none*. I am saying that for me, I am sticking with my pre, and, were the two to be released at the same time, I would have done the same again.

*except that the pre has better processing power CPU and GPU, but what good is it if its not utilized, not much.

oh man thats a ramblin post
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I think the hero is cool, but I am looking forward to seeing where webos goes. I think ALOT is planned for it, and was missing from the beginning. I'll give it till the end of my contract in june 2011 and if it isn't what I expected, win mob 7 will be out there will be a million android phones and I'm sure there won't be a problem finding something that'll work for me. But I really think webos has a ton of potential
    the problem with WebOS is its stuck on the #3 carrier in the US and its buzz here is dead. they need to bring the platform to other carriers and end the Sprint exclusive agreement because Sprint is holding the platform back.

Android is on or will be on every US carrier by the end of the year. if WebOS is really going to take off it needs to be the same way.

i'm trying to keep my Palm Pre but if i can get close to $300 for it selling it online i'll probably dump it. i like WebOS but i don't know if i'm willing to wait for it to get the respect from developers that i'd like it to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    Anyone knows how the HTC hero deals with uploading picturres/mp3/videos from the computer? Is it like the Pre that can be used as a USB drive and just drag and drop the files into hero?

One thing I don't like about Iphone is you have to do everything through Itunes.
    No sync needed and it works like a usb drive.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    There are lots of podcast listeners in the Android Market. Here's three I'm looking at.

FeedR News Reader
    BeyondPod
    DoggCatcher

If you want to see what's in the Android Market, go to this site.

Cyrket - Android Market Browser
    thanks for the link, after browsing through the android catalog I realized I,m not missing as much as I thought.

I think that put an end to me thinking about giving up on webos. Maybe palm actually knows what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by winb83 View Post
    the problem with WebOS is its stuck on the #3 carrier in the US and its buzz here is dead. they need to bring the platform to other carriers and end the Sprint exclusive agreement because Sprint is holding the platform back.

Android is on or will be on every US carrier by the end of the year. if WebOS is really going to take off it needs to be the same way.

i'm trying to keep my Palm Pre but if i can get close to $300 for it selling it online i'll probably dump it. i like WebOS but i don't know if i'm willing to wait for it to get the respect from developers that i'd like it to have.
    they just released in germany, they will release this week in the UK, canada was not that long ago, pixi is forth coming and Verizon recently confirmed they will have it in q1.

I agree though, it isn't clear that WebOS will take off and be a major player 3 years from now, as android seems poised to do.

however, for the immediate future, its a good bet it will grow and improve.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Got a Hero today at a Sprint store here in NY. So far it feels pretty good. It's very responsive - definitely less lag than the Pre all around. Not used to the virtual keyboard yet at all. But the mail setup was no problem, tons of apps on the android store. Hero's browser is generally easier to read because the type is is larger. Also the browser's type automatically reflows according to where the browser edges are, so there is far less scrolling/resizing to do.

I am just getting the hang of it - but any questions about the Hero, just ask ;-)

I also still have my Pre (connected through WIFI.)
    How do you find the over all build quality?

And how about the rocker panel (the button panel)? That was the only thing about the Hero's build quality that gives me pause.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    How did you do this? I assume that you did not get a new plan because other wise you'd have your Pre active. Did you pay the unsubsidized price for the Hero?
    Yes. The Pre was frustrating me enough to take such a drastic and fiscally irresponsible step. If I keep the Hero, I'll put the Pre on eBay or craigslist. So far, I don't regret it. The Hero and Android make for a better business-oriented phone than the Pre does in its current form. Plus, HTC's improvements to the regular Android interface are great. The "Scenes" feature lets you build multiple "desktops" with exactly the shortcuts, widgets, and folders you need for different purposes. I wish webOS had something similar.
    Last edited by doublebullout; 10/13/2009 at 04:36 PM.