Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
    I don't know the technical details behind multitasking in Android, so I may be glossing over some distinctions that are important from a programming standpoint. Android doesn't seem to do "true" multitasking like the Pre. Multiple apps can be running and consuming CPU resources, similar to WinMo. But I haven't found any way to switch back-and-forth between two or more running apps without going back to the program list and re-launching the app. However, SenseUI's use of widgets and scenes makes this almost a moot point. My "Work" scene, for example, lets me switch seamlessly back and forth to view my calendar, e-mail, txt messages, and Home screen by swiping sideways. It's almost like having cards open in webOS, although you don't/can't close the widgets. Widgets are updated continuously in the background. Maybe this isn't real multitasking, but again for most users it's likely to be a meaningless distinction.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Got the last one from a local Sprint store at 5pm yesterday. I still have my Pre. The Hero gets 30 days to win me over. If it doesn't, I turn it back in and reactivate the Pre.
    Did you just buy it at the $479 non-contract price?
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Well, if the Hero's hardware is behind the times then give me more of it, please. The Hero feels far more substantial in the hand. It doesn't creak or flex at all. The materials feel and look first class. Apps launch faster than on the Pre. Swipes between calendar days are nearly instantaneous. The Hero's speaker is higher quality and much louder. There are notification LEDs that light up without having to hack the OS.

The Pre is a beautiful device, no doubt about it. But the Hero's hardware is not in any way inferior. In many respects, it's superior.
    The processor and GPU in the Pre are superior to the ones found in the Hero. Although, its up to Palm to USE the hardware in future updates. At this point, the Pre is a V8 running on 4 Cylinders.
    listen i just went to a sprint store to see the hero.that phones sucks.it really does.and,im a big htc fan.i have owned 3 of there phones.the pre kills that phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    The processor and GPU in the Pre are superior to the ones found in the Hero. Although, its up to Palm to USE the hardware in future updates. At this point, the Pre is a V8 running on 4 Cylinders.
    That doesnt make any sense. The Hero I used so far was faster and it has more RMA. It has the same processor right?
    The Hero uses the Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz.

The Pre and iPhone 3gs use the Texas Instruments OMAP3430 - 64nm ARM, PowerVR SGX 530 GPU, ~600MHz C64x + DSP + ISP

Like I said though, it all about optimization. Palm has a way to go in this department.
    Last edited by maven1975; 10/12/2009 at 07:14 PM.
    To move between apps just hold the home key for two seconds and you'll see 6 active programs.
    Wow so the Pre is pretty much the same internals as the 3GS? Thats pretty cool.
    Just got my Hero

love this thing... cant say anything bad about the Pre cuz i loved it too... too early to make a comparison, stay tuned
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I got to play with the Hero today too, and man it was a cool little phone.

I definitely thought it was a solid (if plain looking) phone, and the SenseUI was awesome. It's funny - I almost think that the SenseUI is more intuitive than the Pre's system of opening cards.

Rather than having to open the NFL Mobile app, you simply swiped left or right. Or to send a text. The screen switching also seemed to move more quickly and smoothly than the Pre.

Still, 16.7 million colors vs. 65k was definitely noticeable. The screen, while bigger, definitely seemed not as vibrant as the Pre's.

I dunno now. I really like the Pre, but the Hero was really, really awesome today. I keep thinking about how much I like the "hackability" of the Pre, and then something inside me asks why hacking a phone to get basic features like text forwarding, call duration, LED notifications, text and email landscaping, a virtual keyboard...all of these things your average user should not have to be doing.

I have 10 days left till I'm past my 30 day trial, so I'm going to have to spend some more time with it.
    Well the Pre is still new. It will get all of those updates with time. I had the first android phone the G1 back in january. It didnt have crap back then. Not even a video recorder then cupcake came out and it made the phone 10x more awesome.

And the Pre has more colors? Is that what I understand? The icons on the hero just look so old school still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Well the Pre is still new. It will get all of those updates with time. I had the first android phone the G1 back in january. It didnt have crap back then. Not even a video recorder then cupcake came out and it made the phone 10x more awesome.

And the Pre has more colors? Is that what I understand? The icons on the hero just look so old school still.
    I agree.

the pre has more potential for speed fluidity graphics ect period. Even if all things were better on the hero today, I still wouldn't buy it. Assuming palm keeps updating and turning on features like they have, the pre will out perform the hero by its first birthday. I will have this phone for two years. I worry that if I switched to a hero, by christmas the pre will close whatever gap exists, and by next summer will have left it in the dust.
    correct
  14.    #274  
    The hero forums are just starting to pick up now. The Sprint one is actually excellent, with engineers who are working on the phone chiming in.
  15.    #275  
    By fall next year the Pre II will be out. The current one will be yesterday's news.
    What could the Pre have done to it that would leave the Hero in the dust? I dont understand that part. Google is definitely bigger than Palm.
    Any podcast listeners in here? How is the Google Listen App? I wish that app was on the Pre but sadly, Android Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Any podcast listeners in here? How is the Google Listen App? I wish that app was on the Pre but sadly, Android Only.
    There are lots of podcast listeners in the Android Market. Here's three I'm looking at.

FeedR News Reader
    BeyondPod
    DoggCatcher

If you want to see what's in the Android Market, go to this site.

Cyrket - Android Market Browser
    That's the problem. If Palm magically achieves these unannounced unscheduled updates, they MIGHT catch up or surpass where the market was a year prior.
    Assuming palm keeps updating and turning on features like they have, the pre will out perform the hero by its first birthday.
    But this is what has me (and probably others) looking elsewhere. While we're all waiting... and waiting... and waiting... and hoping... that Palm will add essential features, improve the PIM apps, turn on the GPU, add native access to the SDK, get the app catalog out of beta, and improve the hardware, Sprint is adding new smartphones that fill most of these gaps very well. The Pre is a great phone with unmet potential. The Hero is a great phone that works better for me out of the box, right now. It's a tough situation for Palm to be in. Fair or not, Palm is running out of time.