Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    i'm on the verge of abandoning the webos platform. it has lots of potential, but hasn't met basic user needs in the months i've had it. at this point, htc hero is probably going to be the form i defect to.
    I purchased a Hero yesterday after reading and watching about 8-10 reviews. I called my local Sprint store and they said they got them in early and could start selling them.

This phone is awesome. I bought the Pre on launch day but without going over it all again, it just didn't work for my needs (desktop sync, streaming music and a few other things). My cell is my business phone - I average 1500-1800 minutes a month and it holds all my contacts, business info, etc.

From the first time I held the Hero it feels solid and looks professional. It is mostly a gray matte finish, good for hiding fingerprints and providing a little stickiness when you hold the phone. You guys can read the reviews for all the technical stuff, I'll just give some personal impressions.

The display is beautiful. The Sense UI is very customizable, almost to a fault. This phone's home screens (7) can hold widgets of all kinds: single or dual clocks, NFL Mobile Live update, scrolling stock prices, weather in multiple cities and on and on. On top of that you can create "scenes" as in travel, work, weekend, etc. Pretty cool because I can see why someone might want to have a work "scene" of just contacts, phone and nav during the week and then a weekend scene with music, youtube, camera, etc. I was worried about the onscreen keyboard but I have already gotten used to it. Pressing on the keys provides a "haptic response" (buzz). I find myself not really using the trackball all that much.

Initial setup linked my Facebook and Gmail accounts and contacts before I even left the store parking lot. Lots of apps to choose from in Android Market, already loaded up some. Most important to me is that there is cable sync to Outlook (Wake Up Palm!) The instruction book has 106 pages of material and it feels like I'll need to read the whole thing.

As a long time Palm user I was really disappointed by the Pre. If Palm had just taken a little more time to get their phone right, I would be there. It is very early but I can't see the Hero having many build problems just because of the design of the phone. If you hold one, you'll see what I mean. There will always be positive hype if you produce a good product. Just ask HTC and watch the sales of this phone.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Clevin, I see no lag on the Hero thus far. Just fyi.
    Have you loaded many widgets? I hear that the more widgets and connections from the main 7 pages the more lag.
    2 questions:
    1) Does the Hero have full html emails?
    2) Will the sports app (i.e. nfl) update when you're on a different page or will you have reload it?
    There is full html email and its better than the pre in my eyes. Everything sync well too. Hands down in my opinion better than the pre. The attachments come through in the email. So pics can be seen instead of having to download files or pics you can't see like the pre. I don't use the nfl app so I don't know about that.

Oh for some reason the Pandora app plays the music clearer too. Games are very close to iPhone like in quality. I am very happy with the phone.

Build quality is top notch. No dead pixels, wobbly screen, creaking, or crackling. All buttons are very responsive.
    Where can i find a real good review on the sprint version of the hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Try, HTC Hero for Sprint hands-on and impressions and Mobile Tech Minutes — Palm Pre vs. HTC Hero on Video
  8.    #188  
    I agree that the hardware feels good - the keys work the first time you press them, no dead pixels, very solid. I can definitely put it in my pocket without worries. So far the call quality has been loud and clear, and ringer volume is ear shattering at the highest setting ;-)
    Ya I'm pretty sure I'm picking one up tomorrow. I love the pre but palm is moving kind of slow so will probably revisit palm in a year. Webos is great but seriously the build quality is about as lame as it can get.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    I purchased a Hero yesterday after reading and watching about 8-10 reviews. I called my local Sprint store and they said they got them in early and could start selling them.

This phone is awesome. I bought the Pre on launch day but without going over it all again, it just didn't work for my needs (desktop sync, streaming music and a few other things). My cell is my business phone - I average 1500-1800 minutes a month and it holds all my contacts, business info, etc.

From the first time I held the Hero it feels solid and looks professional. It is mostly a gray matte finish, good for hiding fingerprints and providing a little stickiness when you hold the phone. You guys can read the reviews for all the technical stuff, I'll just give some personal impressions.

The display is beautiful. The Sense UI is very customizable, almost to a fault. This phone's home screens (7) can hold widgets of all kinds: single or dual clocks, NFL Mobile Live update, scrolling stock prices, weather in multiple cities and on and on. On top of that you can create "scenes" as in travel, work, weekend, etc. Pretty cool because I can see why someone might want to have a work "scene" of just contacts, phone and nav during the week and then a weekend scene with music, youtube, camera, etc. I was worried about the onscreen keyboard but I have already gotten used to it. Pressing on the keys provides a "haptic response" (buzz). I find myself not really using the trackball all that much.

Initial setup linked my Facebook and Gmail accounts and contacts before I even left the store parking lot. Lots of apps to choose from in Android Market, already loaded up some. Most important to me is that there is cable sync to Outlook (Wake Up Palm!) The instruction book has 106 pages of material and it feels like I'll need to read the whole thing.

As a long time Palm user I was really disappointed by the Pre. If Palm had just taken a little more time to get their phone right, I would be there. It is very early but I can't see the Hero having many build problems just because of the design of the phone. If you hold one, you'll see what I mean. There will always be positive hype if you produce a good product. Just ask HTC and watch the sales of this phone.
    So how much did it cost you?
    Here's three good video reviews of the Hero from MobileBurn.com.

Update: Here's a good written and video review from Mobile Tech Review.
    HTC Hero (Sprint)
    Here's another good written and 3 video reviews from Leakdroid.com

Leadroid Phone Review Series - Sprint HTC Hero
    Does the Hero's "Search" function search data on the phone? As we all know, the Pre's "universal" search is anything but universal. Is Android search comparable to PalmOS' search? Does it search calendar events, tasks, and memos/documents?