Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Visor Deluxe finally died. I put new batteries in it, and ever since it drains batteries quickly and takes no less than 20 resets to turn on!

(If anyone know's how to fix that... even better, saves me $$)

So now I need to get a new one. If I opt for the replacement plan it's $99 for a "refurbished" deluxe. In my opinion, that's throwing away money! Unfortunatly there is no upgrade plan.

Here is my main question. There are two handhelds I'm looking at...

1) The Visor Edge
    2) The Sony Clie T415

I like handspring thus far... but can anyone convince me which of the 2 is a better product?

I prefer the case of the Edge, but the extra memory and other features of the Clie make it very tempting. BTW, the price is the same for both (give or take a few $$)

Thanks for your help,
    DannoZ
    Well, after beating my head against the 8mb wall on my Edge for a month. It occurred to me that I couldn't continue much longer removing apps I use in favor of room for more e-mails, calendar entries, etc.

I looked at the T415...b/c I love the smaller form factor...but that screen is just awful (IHMO). I couldn't handle that for any amount of time.

I went and purchased a Handera 330...its not thin (Palm III form), but it has the built in SD & CF I/II slots, and real backlighting. So I've got a 32MB SD card in it permanently, which basically gives me a totally seamless 40MB of Ram + Handera added a bunch of drivers for CF modems, Ethernet cards, etc...so it natively supports a bunch of CF devices...which also work in my Jornada 567.

I still have the Edge b/c its cool, but I will be selling it soon...But I absolutely loved the Edge. (If you want to save even more $$, I'd probably part with it, 2 mos. old perfect cond. + 2 USB charging cradles.)

However, if I'd decided to keep the Edge, I probably would have upgraded it to 16MB Ram, and have been done with it. I'm just tired of the overpriced Springboard modules.
    I had a CLIE 320 and moved to the Prism. Accessory price and limitations were the main reason.

However, for each their own. A lot will depend on your needs for a PDA. I opted for color for the enhanced viewing (pictures of the kids, color maps, etc.) but if your use of a PDA is for information/data storage/retrieval (addresses, contacts, and the such) a monochrome screen would suffice.

I liked the Handspring for the expansion capabilities. If you have modules for your deluxe they will be compatible with the Edge. While accessories are available for the Sony, they are limited and expensive. Example, Handspring Modem $50 compared to $125 for Sony; GPS module for Handspring $149 compared to no such option for Sony.

There are tons of sources on the net to help give you advice on which is better. Bottom line, go to a store like Compusa or Best Buy and see which you like the best.
    At times I miss my VDx but I'm having so much fun with the Clie N760C that I rarely remember. The picture display on the Clie is great though it uses quite a bit of memory. Can't do that on an Edge.
    I warn you now and i will only warn you once....Dont i say dont get any PDA with a small form factor.....the main reason is cause once you do you cant go back even if you tried.

I started with a VDX went to the Platinum then to the EDGE, after the edge i was spoiled and the only thing i could do is get the now loved Palm M505.

The edge is a great little datebook and phone number holder.
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    It's very subjective, but I think it comes down to whether you have problems with the T-415's screen (some people do, some don't), versus having the MemoryStick & Palm OS 4 (which means that you can expand beyond the 8MB of memory in the Edge or the T-415.)

One quick question: I am assuming you are currently hotsyncing with a USB cradle? If not, and you need a serial cradle instead, you're out of luck with the new Clies. (At the very least, you'll have to hunt around for a T-series compatible serial hotsync cable -- and I haven't been able to find one yet.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  7.    #7  
    I thank you all for your information. I just went buy Best Buy to compare the two... here's what I found... ( almost what I expected)

The Visor Edge has a VERY nice case add that to the bifold metal case now offered and you get a very attractive and sturdy package.

Plus the screen is very clear and crisp.

For both the increase in Processor speed was immediatly noticable, However, with the Clie, the ghosting (with a full charge and various contrast settings) served to hid that fact.

The Clie had a good feel to it. I loved the jog wheel on the side and the positioning of the IR. However... and it's the ultimate however ----> the screen. It was horrible. Very limited viewing angle. The backlight was good but the rest was unusable for me.

So... here is my NEXT BIG QUESTION (tm)

I've heard there is to be a T415 but with the screen of the 610... ie the T615. Does anyone know when it may come out. Also, has anyone heard either good or bad for it.

All the features of the sony line make the clie a much better choice for me. I've had a Visor DLX for 3 years and never had the need to buy a springboard. I just wish the T415 had a better screen. I don't need or really want color. Just the slim size.

Thanks again for your help and any and all info concerning the forthcoming Clie.
    Originally posted by dannoz
    So... here is my NEXT BIG QUESTION (tm)

I've heard there is to be a T415 but with the screen of the 610... ie the T615. Does anyone know when it may come out. Also, has anyone heard either good or bad for it.
    I'm planning to buy a T615 when it makes it out (after a hands-on inspection); here's the gist of what I know:
    • The T600, already released in Japan, is a Japanese version of the T615
    • 16 MB memory
    • Color hi-res screen. Reds are not as bright as in the N760/N610C, white/blacks a bit sharper (it's a different screen). See the reports referenced in other VisorCentral articles on the T600.
    • Price sounds like it'll be around $400
    • Slightly thicker than the T415
    • Will probably be announced this week at CES; rumor has it out at the end of the month to stores
    • Other than that, just like a T415
    Jeff Meyer

Hey Dannoz,

Why didnt you consider the M500 or M505...Both are really slim and small.

Still if i had the choice of the M500 Clie 415 and the Edge

I would choose the Edge

I did have that choice but chose

The color M505.....
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    On other sites they are saying things are not looking good for the T600 (or T615). Sony seems to be giving conflicting signals :

The S320 and N610 are listed as "sold out" on their website

Some retailers are listing new Sony handhelds in their database but no release dates

According to some Clie forums, Sony has NOT shown any new handhelds at the 2002 CES show

Keep in mind, the reviews from Japan about the T600/T615 (whatever you want to call it) say the battery life is disappointing and the screen colors are not as brilliant as the N760C and N610.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    As far as the original battery problem went...

I had a similar experience that finally went away after I a.) cleaned the terminals with a pencil eraser, and b.) did a hard reset- complete (and I mean COMPLETE) back-up, turned the unit off, took out the batteries for over a half and hour, installed a new set, did a hard reset (just to be sure), and reloaded everything carefully.

Pain in the neck, but it not only cleared up the battery problem, it cleared up some other things that had been bugging me!

As for a new device, I would vote for the Prism, but only because of the lower prices, newer OS and faster speed (than the Deluxe), and the incredible color screen! I did not think it would matter that much to me, but it really has!

Slim form factor- personal choice. That is why they offer them! I can't imagine giving up color for a skinnier machine since skinniness does not give ME any added value.
    Originally posted by maddog
    On other sites they are saying things are not looking good for the T600 (or T615).
    Well, a bit of perspective: the uncertainty appears to be in the T615's release schedule, not it's existance. (The T600 being out there sort of implies pregnancy. ) Specifically:
    • Sony hasn't officially announced a release date (they don't leak info ahead of time).
    • A lot of people expected to see it announced at CES; it doesn't look like it will be. That's disappointing but not surprising -- Sony's mindshare at CES is A/V and entertainment equipment, not computers.
    • Various retailers (Best Buy is the most frequently sited) are showing the T615 in their inventory databases. They're showing an end-of-January date, though they're not specific.

Keep in mind, the reviews from Japan about the T600/T615 (whatever you want to call it) say the battery life is disappointing and the screen colors are not as brilliant as the N760C and N610.
    Specifically, the SPUG review of the Japanese T600 (which I found very informative) says:
    • The battery life of the T600 definitely isn't as long the T415 or the N710/760/610 Clie series. Combining the T600's color screen (a big power eater) with the extremely compact size, this isn't a surprise. There's a lot of debate as to how much worse it is... they're going back and forth about it over on Clie Source.

Whatever the battery life degree, I could see this definitely being a drawback if you're on the road a lot, or in the woods, or you're using it for multimedia. Mine would be in its cradle every night, or plugged in overnight in a hotel, so I don't think it will be an issue for me.
    • The T600 color display is qualitatively different than the N760C's. (SPUG's review has some great comparison shots.) The red quotient on the T600 is considerably dimmer than the N-color series; on the other hand, the blacks appear sharper and clearer (better contrast, and the screen is paper-white).
      Rob, one of the moderators over at Clie Source, described the NSeries as better for photo displays, while the T600 is better for reading text. That puts me firmly in the camp for a T615.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind waiting until February or even March to get a T615. Maybe Sony's waiting because they want to dilute Palm's proposed new color device by announcing the T615 at the same time. Or maybe they're making last-minute hardware adjustments for the US release.

However, it definitely sounds as if this is a question of when, not if.
    Last edited by bookrats; 01/09/2002 at 12:47 PM.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by bookrats

Specifically, the SPUG review of the Japanese T600 (which I found very informative) says:[list][*]The battery life of the T600 definitely isn't as long the T415 or the N710/760/610 Clie series. Combining the T600's color screen (a big power eater) with the extremely compact size, this isn't a surprise. There's a lot of debate as to how much worse it is... they're going back and forth about it over on Clie Source.

Whatever the battery life degree, I could see this definitely being a drawback if you're on the road a lot, or in the woods, or you're using it for multimedia. Mine would be in its cradle every night, or plugged in overnight in a hotel, so I don't think it will be an issue for me.
    Just curious, but has anyone said exactly how long the battery lasts? Specifically, how long compared to a Prism, which is old technology by now. If it's the same, and one upgrades from a Prism to a T615C, it wouldn't be noticeable. If it's less, well . . .

I'm tempted by the Sony if HS doesn't release a Prism replacement in the semi-near future. Mine's pretty close to dying, I can just "feel" it, and while I WANT to replace it with another color HS device (with Springboard slot), the Sony can offer me ALMOST everything I have now. I'm right now torn between going with a refurbed Prism ($250) or waiting for the newer, color, slimmer, more memory models.
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    Originally posted by raptor
    Just curious, but has anyone said exactly how long the battery lasts? Specifically, how long compared to a Prism, which is old technology by now. If it's the same, and one upgrades from a Prism to a T615C, it wouldn't be noticeable. If it's less, well . . .
    I'm pretty sure it would be less than the Prism. I basically remember them saying that it looks like, with the backlight on all the time (i.e., the highest power setting), that the T600 appears to have about 1/3 the battery life of the Clie N760C.

You can read the results of the test here , over on ClieSource.
    Jeff Meyer

The Visor Edge is great...it's nothing compared to my clie, but I do love the form factor of it. Feels a lot nicer in my pocket, many times I can't even feel it. The things I like over the clie is the casing, its pure awesome. The cover is great, I won't have to buy a case for it! I think the stylus is kool, but it's not as easy to get out as every other stylus. You have to unlock then pull but that's ok. The power button is harder to push than I thought, but I think i'll get used to pushing it harder. The thing I don't like is the sync speed. I guess I got spoiled by the clie with NATIVE USB support. It was very speedy in everything. Specially MP3s. Could transfer a 3 MB MP3 in about 10 seconds. I transerd a 1 MB PRC in about 15 seconds. The Clie IS fast.

As for decision, I think they're all great, depends on the money you got. If you have money, go for the clie. Even with the speculation reviews, the T615 IS going to be great no matter what I know. It may have some small problems, but I'm sure Sony has fixed them, or its hardly noticable in use. As long as the battery lasts...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    The Visor Edge is great... The thing I don't like is the sync speed. I guess I got spoiled by the clie with NATIVE USB support. It was very speedy in everything.
    Take a look at this thread and see what that does for your hotsync speed.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    ...just not in the U.S. and Canada. See this new thread for details.

Patience, patience.... sigh
    Jeff Meyer

18.    #18  
    Well... after seeing the retail price of the T615... looks like I'm going with the edge.
    Originally posted by dannoz
    Well... after seeing the retail price of the T615... looks like I'm going with the edge.
    You did note that the S$600 quoted in the article is Singapore $$? My understanding is that the T615C in the U.S. will go for $400.

However, the $150 difference between the Edge and the T615C ain't chicken feed -- I understand where you're coming from. I just feel like the features in the Clie are worth the $$ (for me).
    Jeff Meyer

20.    #20  
    I just found an edge for $200 from best buy. The features of the t615 are a nice bonus... but not worth the $200 extra for me... a student.

Peace.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast