1.    #1  
    I'm going to (almost certainly) buy a Clie T-615 when it makes it out in a month or two. And I'd like to make the move from my VDX as seamless as possible. (My greatest nightmare is having to re-install all the conduits I've currently gotten configured on my PC.)

There have been some excellent postings on VisorCentral from bradhaak, GSR13, narnia_77 and mikedemo on how to sync both a Visor and a Clie to the same PC. While I'm doing something simpler (I think) -- replacing a Visor with a Clie, so post-conversion Visor hotsyncs are not an issue -- I think I know what needs to be done... However, just to be sure...

I want to convert my current Palm/HandSpring/Whatever Desktop 4.01 configuration (it uses USB) over to the Clie. Do I:[list=1][*]Just leave my current HandSpring desktop 4.01 installation on the PC, skip installing the Clie Desktop software, and add various Clie software pieces (like the feature that allows you to mount your MemoryStick as a Windows drive) on piece-by-piece.[*]Install the Clie software (including the desktop) over the current configuration, which will preserve all the conduits and not cause me any stress whatsoever.[*]Either will work... but back up your hard drive and Visor both before proceeding.[*]It ain't that easy, dude. There are problems with both methods.[/list=1] (BTW, I realize that, since the T-615 ain't out yet, this is partially guesswork. Though I suspect that there wouldn't be any differences from the T-415 on this end.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    BR!

Where ya been?

I've heard some folks advise completely removing Palm or H'spring software before installing Sony's software (which I did), and others who say the two actually can co-exist.

I may be getting a 615 as well, but not until after CeBit in March. I want to find out if there really is such a thing as an m525.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    When I got my CLIE 760, I simply installed Sony's PalmDesktop. I then placed the CLIE in the cradle and it synced fine. All my software was loaded and everything. Once that was working I then installed the MSExport/MSImport software. This is the software/driver that allows mounting the MemoryStick as a Drive on a PC.

The only problems I had were trying to get my Deluxe working once I got the CLIE all setup. I did finally get it all resolved, but you should not have this problem since you only have the Sony.

The only other suggestion I have is make sure you go through the Backup Folder and remove the HandSpring Updates and any other software you do not want on the new CLIE before you HotSync for the first time.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    If you are looking for a Palm OS 4.0 device, go for a Sony Clie 610/760(including one of the T-series) or find a cheap 710c and uprade it to a 760. They are flat out the best overall Palm devices unless you have a very specific need like form factor for instance would go to the Palm M505 or the Visor Edge or if you want more screen spcae then a Handera 330.

As far as the future and where Palm OS 5.0 takes us in hardware. Nobody knows right now. But the best right now for 4.0 is the Clie.

BTW: Slot, you notice the price drops on Memorysticks? me thinks I'll get a second 128 Memstick.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 01/08/2002 at 10:56 AM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  5.    #5  
    GSR13 -- thanks, man! That was exactly what I wanted to know. I'll do it that way (but... I'll back the PC up first ) And a good reminder about the HandSpring Updates. I'd planned to go through the backup folder and pick out items that wouldn't be appropriate for the Clie, and that was at the top of the list.

Originally posted by slotmachine
    BR!

Where ya been?
    Hi Slot! Oh, I was in a Product Release Vortex for most of December, and then the holidays. And I've been spending the last couple of weeks building a new PC, and installing Windows XP on it. (Talk about your Frankenstein Monster analogies... particularly XP = Abnormal Brain )

But now I have USB -- woo-hoo! Do my VDX hotsyncs crank! In fact, I look at the new PC as nothing more than adding a USB port for the T-615.

I may be getting a 615 as well, but not until after CeBit in March. I want to find out if there really is such a thing as an m525.
    Well, I'll still be checking out the T-615 in person before buying it; but I think I'm ready to commit. The T-615 just has all the features I'm looking for. Besides, everything I've heard says the m525 will continue to be low-res -- i.e., 160x160, not 320x320. High res is the primary reason I'm moving.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about it when you see it, though!!
    Jeff Meyer

6.    #6  
    You'll get no argument from me, Mike -- you, bradhaak and Slot have been enthralling me with Clie details for months.

I did buy a 710c, but returned it after a day because the buttons didn't feel right. However, the buttons on the T415 are A-OK; and the T-615's color hi-res, combined with the T-415's form factor and the customizable alarm sounds (I'm a geek -- I know it, and there's nothing to be done about it) make it the Device I Want.

The only downside I can see is that there's no Stowaway keyboard for it yet. I might keep my VDX around until Think Outside gets around to making a T-series keyboard.

BTW -- did you originally mean to post this to the "Please I need your `informed' opinion!" thread?

Originally posted by mikedemo
    If you are looking for a Palm OS 4.0 device, go for a Sony Clie 610/760(including one of the T-series) or find a cheap 710c and uprade it to a 760. They are flat out the best overall Palm devices unless you have a very specific need like form factor for instance would go to the Palm M505 or the Visor Edge or if you want more screen spcae then a Handera 330.

As far as the future and where Palm OS 5.0 takes us in hardware. Nobody knows right now. But the best right now for 4.0 is the Clie.

BTW: Slot, you notice the price drops on Memorysticks? me thinks I'll get a second 128 Memstick.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by mikedemo
    Now you just ain't right for that....
    I was in a Product Release Vortex for most of December
    I can relate to that!

Originally posted by bookrats
    [B]Well, I'll still be checking out the T-615 in person before buying it; but I think I'm ready to commit. The T-615 just has all the features I'm looking for. Besides, everything I've heard says the m525 will continue to be low-res -- i.e., 160x160, not 320x320. High res is the primary reason I'm moving.
    Yep. Its a no-go for me if a brighter screen is the only improvement. And with PiDirect, 16MB of onboard memory is not a huge enticement either. It would need that plus hi-res, and a decent speaker.