Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I really like my Pre, but the app situation needs to improve asap! I didn't think having many apps would be that important until you see what's available on the android, windows mobile, and iPhone platforms. I really want to stick with the Pre, but if I don't have lots of app (other than homebrew) choices, I will part with my Pre on October 11th when Sprint releases the HTC Hero.

I looked at the My Touch 3G and wow, they have tons of apps and they were the blah platform. Now they have anywhere from 7000+ to 10000+ apps depending on the source of the information. I really think Palm needs to flood the app store before the Sprint HTC Hero is released, otherwise they will lose me. It's too bad, I really like the webos platform. Palm, come to the rescue on Thursday night, please!

What are your thoughts?

GP
    Nope. Already passed my day. BTW - it was Make.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    +1
    I don't have a make or break day, the Pre has already made it. Homebrew apps are what have kept me onboard, and I have no reason to switch now. If, next year, Android is a better platform than webOS, I may switch, but not until I qualify for an upgrade again.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre and WebOS haven't even been out 6 months yet!

Android has been out considerably longer and has had more time to build up apps. Jeezus people, give Palm and the devs a chance to get going, will ya?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yeah at this point I'm thinking of switching to the Hero. I just picked up a Pre today and was very excited to get it. However that excitement soon died down.

It started with the phone completely freezing on me right after doing the initial setup just before the instruction videos. I had to pull the battery. Now the phone seems to be working, I'm updating it to 1.2 right now. But overall the phone itself feels really cheap to me. I feel like I'm going to break it far before the two years is up. It also feels really slippery like it's going to fall out of my hand and it's difficult to open it up with one hand.

I'm having all kinds of problems with the touch screen itself. Notices popping up and gestures being set off left and right, doing things I don't want it to be doing. I never had these kinds of problems when I bought a 1st gen iPhone years ago.

My Palm Centro has been a tough and reliable little phone for the last 22 months. But this Pre feels like a cheap toy.

Well I've got 12 days to play with it and get used to it before the Hero comes out. Just to see if it makes me fall in love with it. But right now based off my initial thoughts, I'm going for the Hero.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Make for me break for you. Goodbye.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Same here, but I got a good deal on the Pre so I'm not sure I would be willing to pay the price difference. If they can give me a straight trade for the Hero I might think about it, but if not, the Pre is already firmly in Make territory.
    You do have to give the webOS some more time. The Android OS has a good 7 months over the webOS.

Thing is though - where are these apps that Palm have been flooded with in regards to the submissions? Tomorrow (Thursday) better be the day that SOME paid apps comes out. If it's another 80/20 rule on games versus actual apps, then I'm gonna cry a little more inside.
    IMO you will have a love / hate thing with the Pre.

There are a lot of things you can hate about it, but in the long run the love items far outweigh the hate!

Multi-tasking is great, that's just for starters when compared to an iPhone.

The WebOS just shows so much promise, and you can actually see what's possible with Homebrew stuff.

And what's wrong with Homebrew, guys, homebrew is where every new app will be tested before it ever hits Palm's App Catalog.

So don't think Homebrew is just for amatuers, it's for testing all the real stuff!

It won't be going away! It's going to give you a peak at what's possible and what will be coming down the road.

So stuff will probably remain in secret, I just read on the front page about streaming movies, although very cool, just too expensive.

And yeah, the hardware does at times feel cheap, but you learn how to use it and be careful with it, unless you are the clumsey type!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

People are so impatient. webOS has been out since June 6th. . .less than 4 months!!! Give some credit to Palm for releasing a few updates already. It's not like they are sitting on their a**es and not doing anything. They are working around the clock to provide us Pre users with a better OS. I personally couldn't ask for more. The phone is great, the OS is great and is only getting better (imagine what it will be able to do a year from now), and I have no beef with Sprint. Apps will come.

If you are really that impatient, I would prefer that you bail right now.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    The Palm Pre and WebOS haven't even been out 6 months yet!

Android has been out considerably longer and has had more time to build up apps. Jeezus people, give Palm and the devs a chance to get going, will ya?
    I agree to a certain point. I know it's new, but in order for the device to flourish it needs to have more apps. More apps equals happier customers. If you have lots of apps, all of us will find the 4 or 5 apps that will keep us from jumping ship.

On another point, Palm is a company trying to make a profit. I want them to succeed, but they need to please the customer. If customers want apps, give them apps.

Whenever I show off the Pre, I always have to explain the lack of apps other than the homebrew section. I talked a friend into getting the Pre, but the lack of apps has him wanting to sell. I keep telling him, hold on for a little longer, but he like all paying customers make choices with their wallets and Palm needs to be aggressive about the app situation.

We were both let down following the 1.2 update. Palm gives us the capabilty to buy apps, but they don't give us one new app? Who is in charge of customer relations?

Enough rambling, Palm, get off your and give us some apps!

GP
    What apps do you need that don't exist on the pre? 95% of the app store and Android app market is bloat, or they make up for functionality that doesn't exist in the stock OS. Wanting apps just to want them makes no sense.
    Welp, even if they're were 5000 apps, what kind of apps would they be? API's are limited, no mic access, no video recording, etc.

Furthermore, how confident are you that paid apps would be backed up or saved properly? Or wouldn't break after an OS update? If you have to exchange a device? No way to share them anyways if you own more than one Pre. Would you trust your app investments to the cloud? I know..gotta trust that palm profile.
    I agree, the app store really needs to fill up fast or HERO here I come.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    another +1

it it the os and phone base functions that I use daily. more apps will come, there's really only a handful of apps for me that are critical. I will never ever come close to utilizing even 1,000 apps. wouldn't know where to start with 10,000 apps.

Never owned an iphone, but how many of the 75,000 apps are good quality apps that you would use? just asking because idk
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    IMO you will have a love / hate thing with the Pre.

There are a lot of things you can hate about it, but in the long run the love items far outweigh the hate!

Multi-tasking is great, that's just for starters when compared to an iPhone.

The WebOS just shows so much promise, and you can actually see what's possible with Homebrew stuff.

And what's wrong with Homebrew, guys, homebrew is where every new app will be tested before it ever hits Palm's App Catalog.

So don't think Homebrew is just for amatuers, it's for testing all the real stuff!

It won't be going away! It's going to give you a peak at what's possible and what will be coming down the road.

So stuff will probably remain in secret, I just read on the front page about streaming movies, although very cool, just too expensive.

And yeah, the hardware does at times feel cheap, but you learn how to use it and be careful with it, unless you are the clumsey type!

Rob
    You're right, I do have a love / hate relationship with the Pre. For the most part, I really like the Pre. As a matter of fact, other than battery life and the phone sometimes not recognizing the palm charger in my car, I really like the phone.

BTW, if it wasn't for homebrew, the phone would of been sold months ago. Thanks to the homebrew folks out there!

The only hate I have is the lack of apps from the Palm store. I just think that in the electronics business, 6 monts is too long for customers to wait. Hopefully Palm with prove me wrong!
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    10bux says paid apps tomorrow.

:grin:
    we really are a "have to have it now society". 4 months after release, two updates, and almost 300 apps counting homebrews and people are ready to jump ship. At the current pace, there will be a couple of thousand apps when webos has been released as long as android.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    we really are a "have to have it now society". 4 months after release, two updates, and almost 300 apps counting homebrews and people are ready to jump ship. At the current pace, there will be a couple of thousand apps when webos has been released as long as android.

I think its more of a "if palm wants to sell this at same price of competition with similar premium plan then they should hurry the hell up and get it out of beta" society.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast