Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    The Hero has multitasking, it's just that you cannot easily switch between applications or it's hidden. There are free apps in the Market that will allow you to switch between applications from the notification window.

I maybe getting my Hero on the 9th since I'm a Best Buy Reward Zone member!!
    It does have multitasking. You hold down the home button to bring up the last 6 applications that were run(or are running).

The problem is, it's a lagger. There are free apps in the market that will allow you to switch, but the ability is there natively by holding down the home button.

As Google provides more optimzations I expect Android will get quicker. As of right now, it's not there on the current hardware. Multitasking is possible, but it's ungodly slow.

Secondly, Android's browser doesn't hold a candle to Apple's or Palm's. Another major sticking point with me.

It's a good OS, worth taking a look at. It just wasn't for me in its present condition.
    I am assuming your talking about a g1 or mytouch. I think the hero will be a little smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    True multi-tasking isn't just an easy way to switch from app to app. They all keep running/open/active.
    The Hero does that. Android will only close an app when it needs the ram for something else. Switching to another app does not close the previous app.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I am assuming your talking about a g1 or mytouch. I think the hero will be a little smoother.
    I doubt it.

It's guts are almost identical with the G1 and Magic. It just has more RAM. (As a matter of fact, I believe it's the same innards as the Magic/MyTouch3G).

Hero will probably be worse. The reason being is, Hero's strengths lie in SenseUI, and that depends on widgets. Widgets eat more ram than most of the applications, especially if you use them the way that phone intends you to.

It's a pretty UI, no doubt, but it does significantly hamper performance.

I'm not trying to "crap" on Android. I've used it since Google released the first dev phones, and I have quite a bit of experience with it.

All I'm doing is giving you my experiences across different hardware, different ROMS, etc.

Android will provide you a different experience than WebOS will. Its it better? That's for you to decide.

I'm just trying to bring some real "truths" to the discussion. Some of you have "the grass is greener" syndrome. ( I get it all of the time. :P) This just gives you some additional things to think about before making any jumps.

Best of luck...
    I found a relatively active one pertaining to the Sprint Hero:

Sprint Hero by HTC community

Anyone else find others where there is a reasonable amount of activity?
    For anything related to Android, I'd point you to www.xda-developers.com

All the ROM cookers hangout there. You can get alot of information on the Hero and Android in general. Also the site provides information on rooting and hacking should you be inclined to go that route. Good luck.
    thanks Crackbone.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I'm off to buy a Hero tomorrow. I know it's Thursday and we should see some new apps, but the small trickle of apps won't sway me right now. The Pre needs to have quality apps. Palm needs to work very hard to convince developers to write for the Pre. I'm sure things will get better, but for $179 (2 YR) and $329 (off contract if true) is worth a shot.

I tried an android device the other day and the amount of weather and news apps was vast and rich. Weather radar programs that display google maps with your current GPS position and overlay 5 minute old weather radar for free! There were so many quality programs that it will take some time to find the programs that will fit my needs. In either case, I will post my experience with the Sprint Hero versus the Pre in the next few days.

GP
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Well, I got the Sprint Hero today and guess what, it's fantastic!

Pros: Tons of quality apps, visual voicemail, haptic feedback, predictive text, rotate on almost every program, no lag (unless you have many apps open), sprint telenav, able to listen to music and and use Sprint Telenav at the same time, great screen, microSD slot, and more!

Cons: Keyboard will take some getting use to.

So in the end, I'm very happy I got the phone. Although the Pre's webos is great, the vast amount of apps, visual voicemail, and microSD slot has me sold. My Pre will be forsale soon. Sorry Palm, really liked the Pre.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    has anyone seen the advertisement for the new samsung phone to be released on 11-01?...is the hero still coming out on the 11th? just got off the phone with sprint and the rep didn't see anything in the system about the HERO
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    Well, I got the Sprint Hero today and guess what, it's fantastic!

Pros: Tons of quality apps, visual voicemail, haptic feedback, predictive text, rotate on almost every program, no lag (unless you have many apps open), sprint telenav, able to listen to music and and use Sprint Telenav at the same time, great screen, microSD slot, and more!

Cons: Keyboard will take some getting use to.

So in the end, I'm very happy I got the phone. Although the Pre's webos is great, the vast amount of apps, visual voicemail, and microSD slot has me sold. My Pre will be forsale soon. Sorry Palm, really liked the Pre.
    how did yo get the hero early?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I'm happy for you. Okay, now go to the Hero forum.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lxcusic View Post
    how did yo get the hero early?
    Bestbuy is selling the Hero to reward zone customers early.

GP
    Sprint stores in ny were selling Heros yesterday. Two days early - because Best Buy had started selling them.
    I would like to buy your Pre for a low price (lol)
    THere were three people in the store at open to get the hero when I went. This phone is gonna be a top seller for sure.

I had to use my reward zone coupon and pre order to get mine yesterday.
    That's what you get for buying a first generation phone. The phone hasnt been out for 6 months and for the time that its been around. There are enough apps.
    Every phone including the iphone didn't have a robust store when it first came out. I remember jailbreaking the iphone just to be able to theme it. Had no bluetooth stream to headphones. No MMS. It was lame. Now a potentially better OS and phone comes out and you cant give it the sufficient time it needs to grow? In that case, Palm is better off with you not being a customer. If you want all these different applications, learn to produce one and do the whole community a favor. I'm also a little upset about the fact that some particular apps arent there. Myspace, Facebook, sufficient Instant messaging programs.."other than the one plugin in the forum". I'm upset that alot of plugins thats are in homebrew should already be implemented into the OS. However, why threaten to buy another phone? Just go buy it. Its not like Palm is going to see it here in the forum and instantly throw in another 200 apps into the catalog real quick. Either be a loyal Palm user or dont.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Wow, what a ridiculous post.

Here's a clue for you. Most people in the world don't know how to program. Telling someone who buys a phone that doesn't have an app they want to program it themselves is stupid. If the phone doesn't have apps they need and other phones do, the other phones might be a better pick for them at the moment.

Why does anyone have to be a 'loyal' Palm user? I'm a Palm user at the moment. If another company produces another product that's better suited to my needs at the time, I'll buy it. Since when do we owe loyalty to the companies we buy phones, blenders, or pencils from?
    all I can say is pre owners will keep making excuses on why the pre doesn't live up to the hype. Both phones have the pluses. I like the pre but to tell you the truth I haven't picked it up once today. Going on ebay tomorrow to sell it.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456