Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The Pre has only been out 3 months, but they've had a chance. The iPhone had thousands of more apps in the first month than the Pre has had in the first three months (and most likely will have in the first year).
    I don't think this is correct:
    • June 29, 2007: iPhone 2G release (reference)
    • March 6, 2008: iPhone SDK Beta released (reference)
    • July 10, 2008: App Store opened w/500 apps (ibid)

We're at about 4 mos after the release of the Pre and about 2 months after the July 20, 2009 release of the Mojo SDK (reference). So:
    • From iPhone to App Store: 12.5 months
    • From iPhone SDK to App Store: 4 months
    • From Pre to App Catalog: 4 months (if tomorrow is correct)
    • From Mojo SDK to App Catalog: 2 months (if tomorrow is correct)

The App Store opened with 500 apps. The App Catalog currently has 97 apps with many more in the pipeline, including nearly 250 homebrew apps. But, I'm pretty certain that quantity of apps is not the right measure of success. Quality matters, too. For example, how many iPhone owners would trade the thousands of useless apps in the app store for the 2 google voice apps that are in the app catalog?

I think your worries are premature. From my perspective, the App Catalog is on track with where the App Store was when it was created and the Pre is WAAY ahead of where the iPhone was when it was released.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    Then stop logging in :| ...

Your whining isn't going to change anything, and it's just as annoying....
    and the cycle continues...everyone needs to stop whining about others whining about others whining
    Half of these people wont be able to switch due to financial constraints. Youre in a contract, and youre ready to jump ship after two months? Awesome! You have already padded Palm's back pocket by buying the Pre in the first place. So thanks for padding the numbers. THen, you will buy another device (most likely at full price, and helping Sprint out) and extend your contract again because you think the grass is always greener on the other side!

I feel sorry for your spouse.
    I came from an HTC Touch Pro. I still have it but it is used as a house phone. It crashes and burns from just text messaging! Well, it's not that bad but still....I love my Pre. My wife doesn't want one because she still loves her purple Lotus. I don't get it....

Look, this is a new phone, with a new OS. It takes time for things to pan out correctly and it will. Just have to have patience and all will work out for you.

Here's a little joke I like to play with Iphone users......Walk up to them and say hey! Let's play a game! Let's drain our batteries and see who can pop in thier spare the fastest!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    I really like my Pre, but the app situation needs to improve asap! I didn't think having many apps would be that important until you see what's available on the android, windows mobile, and iPhone platforms. I really want to stick with the Pre, but if I don't have lots of app (other than homebrew) choices, I will part with my Pre on October 11th when Sprint releases the HTC Hero.

I looked at the My Touch 3G and wow, they have tons of apps and they were the blah platform. Now they have anywhere from 7000+ to 10000+ apps depending on the source of the information. I really think Palm needs to flood the app store before the Sprint HTC Hero is released, otherwise they will lose me. It's too bad, I really like the webos platform. Palm, come to the rescue on Thursday night, please!

What are your thoughts?

GP

Enjoy the Hero with no background processing and really bad battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Nope. Already passed my day. BTW - it was Make.
    +1 It was "make" june 7th btw
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the relative number of apps out there between platforms. I primarily use the core PIM apps (which are horrid), the browser (which is outstanding), drPodder (an outstanding homebrew app), the phone (yep, it's a phone), and the music player (acceptable.) So my dissatisfaction with the Pre has nothing to do with app availability. I'll consider the Hero and the Touch Pro 2 in a few months. If Palm hasn't improved the core PIM apps by then, it's going to be very hard for me to not switch.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    My wife has an Iphone 3gs, and everyday she's getting cooler apps and I'm well getting fixes. Latest technologies like augmented reality with her camera is way cool. I understand the iphone has been 3 years in development, but I feel that by the time webos or pre is perfected we will be behind in technology. If the iphone wasn't locked in with AT&T I definitely would've got an iphone.

My make or break day is when the storm 2 is comes out....if I can get it to work on Sprint thats is.
    Quote Originally Posted by tribert73 View Post
    My wife has an Iphone 3gs, and everyday she's getting cooler apps and I'm well getting fixes. Latest technologies like augmented reality with her camera is way cool. I understand the iphone has been 3 years in development, but I feel that by the time webos or pre is perfected we will be behind in technology. If the iphone wasn't locked in with AT&T I definitely would've got an iphone.

My make or break day is when the storm 2 is comes out....if I can get it to work on Sprint thats is.
    If you can't see the new features Palm implemented with 1.2 then you are blind. They weren't just "bug fixes".

And for the last time, THE APP CATALOG GOES LIVE TOMORROW. Until then we need to just chill about the lack of apps.

Christ.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by tribert73 View Post

I think alot people would have an iphone if it was on sprints network.
    I know I would.remember,"it is the michael jordan of phones"
    I'm not wearing any pants.

And Michael Jordan is retired.
    yea I agree with the post from above.I think palm is going to be left in the dust.just wait until nokia buys out palm.then we will all meet in the apple forum
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    I really like my Pre, but the app situation needs to improve asap! I didn't think having many apps would be that important until you see what's available on the android, windows mobile, and iPhone platforms. I really want to stick with the Pre, but if I don't have lots of app (other than homebrew) choices, I will part with my Pre on October 11th when Sprint releases the HTC Hero.

I looked at the My Touch 3G and wow, they have tons of apps and they were the blah platform. Now they have anywhere from 7000+ to 10000+ apps depending on the source of the information. I really think Palm needs to flood the app store before the Sprint HTC Hero is released, otherwise they will lose me. It's too bad, I really like the webos platform. Palm, come to the rescue on Thursday night, please!

What are your thoughts?

GP
    I 100% agree. I was going to wait for the Hero but decided to buy my pre on the 23rd because I had head the 24th would bring all these new things. Well so far not impressed so on the 11th it would be still within my 30 days and I will return my Pre for the Hero.
    Homebrew folks rock! I hate being locked down without tweaks, WebOS for me for now.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    guys, the Pre is being compared to phones that have been out longer than it. They have had more time to develop. is it fair? No. Does it and will it continue to happen? Yes.

I love my Pre to death but the Hero has called to me once or twice, because it's OS has been around longer and has had time to do what I want it to. I could care less about what the phone is called or how long its been out as long as it does all the stuff I need it to do. You think WebOS will do better than Android, get a Pre. If not, go get the phone with the OS you think will make your day-to-day more productive.

@kbritt31: Low blow man, ouch.

tl:dr both side have points, choose what you think will be the best OS
    Exactley! The Pre is NOT for everyone just like the Iphoney isn't for everyone. You get the Phone that best suits you and your needs. I like having a smartphone (that does about 90% of the things the TP can do) and still be a phone. Has anyone here actually tried out the TP? If not, play with one for a day. You'll be glad you got the Pre. But still, people will prefer the TP because it's winmo. I like winmo. I would like it better if M$ got off thier *** and made a mobile OS that didn't act like Win 95. My point is, even tho I like my TP (winmo w/custom 6.5 rom), I like the Pre better because it suits me better.

I'm wearing pants. MY mother in law is here for a month. But I heard that MJ didn't wear pants at all when he had sleepovers.....

*EDIT*: I can feel the flaming already
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    Then stop logging in :| ...

Your whining isn't going to change anything, and it's just as annoying....
    My point is that the Pre has done more and is more than the iphone was at this stage in its development. I don't feel that I was whining about anything. I just feel that people have no patience and want everything given to them overnight. Case in point people are upset 1/2 day after the 1.2 upgrade came out. What is that?

Regardless if you don't like the Pre then leave. Grab yourself and apple, go google yourself or if your really desperate then get a rim job. Either way I am sure that we will all be glad to have people here that want to make the Pre better.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    If we're comparing pre to the first iphone its a fair comparison, but who would buy a three year old phone? Oops, I guess I did.

IMO, I don't believe with the latest technologies available on other phones today, like a compass to assist on augment reality apps and GPS coordinating, video recording capabilities, or a web browser that are able to see video without the "Iphone - Tweak" is too much to ask for a phone that came out this year. Apple didn't invent these techs they just utilize the latest tech out there and implement them this year.

I'm also very surprised that the latest webos update didn't come with a virtual keyboard, seeing the much development, and the fact ever since the pre was announced with a physical keyboard everyone wanted a virtual keyboard. Took android a year to figure it out that people wanted it, is it going to take a year for Palm to figure it out? A little late IMO.
    Its like were chasing updates everyday to make the phone do what we want.its really insane if you think about it.they start making tweaks to do what the iphone does.and the iphone is so far ahead of everyone why even compare.....pants on or pants off!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by briggsie; 09/30/2009 at 08:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If you can't see the new features Palm implemented with 1.2 then you are blind. They weren't just "bug fixes".

And for the last time, THE APP CATALOG GOES LIVE TOMORROW. Until then we need to just chill about the lack of apps.

Christ.
    Not sure but if you read what the Web OS 1.2 update actually does.

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Software update information for Palm Pre Sprint p100eww

But what I see is alot of...

Songs CAN NOW....

bookmarks ARE NOW backed up....

menu item is NOW called Event Location ....

Media sync NOW allows ....

New features? Or fixes?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast