Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    October 11th is National Coming Out day!
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Hero is Zero,
    I checked the latest videos of it.
    Its not polished. Period.
    My main gripe is with browsing.
    Browsing is slow on the Hero.
    I checked the G1 and watched the G2 videos.
    Android is neither here nor there.
    Sometimes it looks like a platform with true open source collaboration other times it looks like the HTC and the MOTOROLAs own their own UI flavor. And Google is in the business to say they "too" do mobile.

Long story short , a phone really shines if the hardware and software are put by one company.

For that reason I stick to iPhone, Pre and RIMM.

I have a line ready for new contract, I will check the HERO one more time in the store but might not buy it.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    I really like my Pre, but the app situation needs to improve asap! I didn't think having many apps would be that important until you see what's available on the android, windows mobile, and iPhone platforms. I really want to stick with the Pre, but if I don't have lots of app (other than homebrew) choices, I will part with my Pre on October 11th when Sprint releases the HTC Hero.

I looked at the My Touch 3G and wow, they have tons of apps and they were the blah platform. Now they have anywhere from 7000+ to 10000+ apps depending on the source of the information. I really think Palm needs to flood the app store before the Sprint HTC Hero is released, otherwise they will lose me. It's too bad, I really like the webos platform. Palm, come to the rescue on Thursday night, please!

What are your thoughts?

GP
    I think it would be more productive if you focus on what apps you need, than look at the overall numbers. Is there a must have app that you want that's on Andoid or iPhone? If yes, then I can fully understand it if you chose to leave Pre.

For Palm, it is definitely better if they have more apps, but I have not gotten the time to try all the Homebrew apps, so I don't think all of sudden flooding the apps store with thousands more apps make much difference to me. I certainly would want to get some new apps on my Pre, but nothing that I am dying for.

The reason I stick with Pre is Palm has shown again that it merged function and usability at the right level. The new Nokia phone with their new OS looks nice and definitely has more functions than Pre, but it is hard to argue it is easier to use. Similarly with HTC Hero, it is so configurable, I see it makes sense if a company have an IT person create a company standard interface. For individuals, I don't think people has that much time to spend on configuration. Pre has that simple feel and with a solid OS foundation, it is always possible to update and advance.

IPhone is also pretty good, but Apple's stubbornness of doing their way only is something I cannot stand. I convinced my wife to get an iPhone 3G after the price drop, so I am not an Apple hater. Personally, I just cannot stand there is only one way of doing the things I want to do.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    we really are a "have to have it now society". 4 months after release, two updates, and almost 300 apps counting homebrews and people are ready to jump ship. At the current pace, there will be a couple of thousand apps when webos has been released as long as android.
    Can't count homebrew. The casual cell phone user that owns a Pre has no idea about this community. I've come across several Pre owners that were all frusted about the app situation. I showed them filecoaster and they wanted it now, but once they learned what was required they wanted out. The casual user wants ease of use, not loading several programs on a PC, then pressing many keys to enter a developer mode, etc. I like that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't think most users would like to try this at home .

I agree with your comment on updates. I'm very pleased with Palm's update frequency and process. I've owned many windows mobile devices and hardly ever saw an update.

Palm claims that they can't keep up with app submissions, hiring people to streamline the process, but the customer sees very little progress. Either they have very few submissions or only have one person testing apps . I'm sure neither one is the case, but the more apps they release the more we will like the Pre.
    For every Iphone I have seen or know people that have one I can't put a finger on an app that I or they for that matter MUST HAVE. When you have a great browser its easy to go to an actual site. Do we really want the 10,000 fart apps cluttering up palms app store? If we had 100 useful apps I would take that over thousands of useless or clunky apps. Games are another story tho, we need webGL or video drivers!!
    I've been on Android since day 1. It's a solid OS.

Where it isn't solid :

The phone(s) including the hero are massively underpowered.
    The OS has stability issues throughout. It crashes more often than you'd believe.
    The multitasking is terrible and laggy beyond belief.
    The market, while full of apps, has about 30-40 that are useable. The rest are soundboards, flashlights, and other nonsense.

That's the truth. I experienced Android both with Stock ROMS and using the best of the best, fastest Cyno ROMS.

Lastly, and get ready for this, the browser sucks. It's terrible compared to the Pre and iPhone.

The only thing I miss from Android are widgets. However, truth be told, the Pre is so fast at multitasking, there's no need for the widget.

WebOS is a cleaner OS that's supported by more competent hardware. The market is lacking, but it'll get there. And remember, when you pick up that Hero, and you are lagging to hell and back from all of the widgets, and you can't find an application on the market other than a soundboard..

Just remember this post.
    I'm still getting the HTC Hero because I kinda like android since I had a flexpay G1 as my secondary phone and liked the platform, but I will always keep my Pre because I think it has more potential than Android to be a better platform and I would slap myself if I ever departed with my Pre and when it matures more in a few months I will be jumping back to my Pre.
    Yea Its Great That The iPhone Has Soooo Many Apps, But At The Same Time, It Has Sooo Many Useless Apps That Its Sad. They Have An App To Make Ninja Chop Sounds? Seriously???? Granted, They Also Have Great Productive Apps, But How Many Apps Repeat Themselves? Im Sure The iPhone Has 1,000 "Whats My iP" apps or 1000 "Instant MEssenger" Apps. Thats Great and All, But Are You Gunna Download All 1000 Cuz They Are Available? Probably Not. And With WebOS Having ALOT More Potential Than the iPhone or Android Will Ever Have, Why WOULDNT You Sit Back And Watch It Grow? I Can Almost Guarantee That In Another 6 Months, WebOS Will Have Better, More Productive And Functional Apps Than The Competition. But Hey, If You Want That Ninja Chop App That Bad, Then Enjoy The iPhone. I'll Stick Around With Palm. Without A Million Apps, It Still Hold Its Own Weight Against The Competition. And They Got No Other Place To Go But UP From Here.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I think it would be more productive if you focus on what apps you need, than look at the overall numbers. Is there a must have app that you want that's on Andoid or iPhone? If yes, then I can fully understand it if you chose to leave Pre.

For Palm, it is definitely better if they have more apps, but I have not gotten the time to try all the Homebrew apps, so I don't think all of sudden flooding the apps store with thousands more apps make much difference to me. I certainly would want to get some new apps on my Pre, but nothing that I am dying for.

The reason I stick with Pre is Palm has shown again that it merged function and usability at the right level. The new Nokia phone with their new OS looks nice and definitely has more functions than Pre, but it is hard to argue it is easier to use. Similarly with HTC Hero, it is so configurable, I see it makes sense if a company have an IT person create a company standard interface. For individuals, I don't think people has that much time to spend on configuration. Pre has that simple feel and with a solid OS foundation, it is always possible to update and advance.

IPhone is also pretty good, but Apple's stubbornness of doing their way only is something I cannot stand. I convinced my wife to get an iPhone 3G after the price drop, so I am not an Apple hater. Personally, I just cannot stand there is only one way of doing the things I want to do.
    That's my point, with many apps to choose from, all of us will find the 4 or 5 apps that will make us happy.

By the way, I also wouldn't buy and an iPhone. The lack of multi-tasking is a big minus in my book.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm going to stick it out with Palm and give them a chance to get up and running with the apps....
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I wish my day hadn't passed already now that I've seen the htc leo. Btw I love my pre but these specs are ancient compared to the leo.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Speaking as a former iPhone owner I can say the only apps I miss that are not available right now are a planetarium app, an online banking app, and a Sprint app to quickly ay my bills.

The iPhone may have 75K apps but the overwhealming majority seem to be either useless, duplicates of other apps, or games. I'll take quality over quantity any day. The App Catalog may not have it all yet but it still has more apps than the iPhone did after it had been out for 4 months
    Let's see... 10,000 fart apps or 15 apps I actually USE on a daily basis?

I have an iTouch. I haven't iTouched it in months. In fact...I haven't even plugged it in since I bought my Pre.

I agree with a previous poster: If there's some app on the iPhone or Android that you MUST have, by all means, don't let the door hit you on the way out. But most people who didn't get onboard with the iPhone when it was first released don't realize they had NOTHING in the way of an App Catalog when the phone first came out. I believe people waited three months (maybe more) for ANYTHING.

As for me? This little phone rocks. It would count as numbers 1 and 2 of the three things I'd require were I stranded on a deserted island. Number three would be a strong signal/wifi connection.

I bought my Pre on day one -- and I still reel a little when I see people demanding Palm flood the app store with what will likely be a bunch of craptacular applications no one will use, just to say "Well, Palm has a bajillion apps in their store!" I'd much rather say, "The app catalog is limited, but it's still in beta and Palm seems to prefer quality apps over the quantity of them."
    Let's see... 10,000 fart apps or 15 apps I actually USE on a daily basis?

I have an iTouch. I haven't iTouched it in months. In fact...I haven't even plugged it in since I bought my Pre.

I agree with a previous poster: If there's some app on the iPhone or Android that you MUST have, by all means, don't let the door hit you on the way out. But most people who didn't get onboard with the iPhone when it was first released don't realize they had NOTHING in the way of an App Catalog when the phone first came out. I believe people waited three months (maybe more) for ANYTHING.

As for me? This little phone rocks. It would count as numbers 1 and 2 of the three things I'd require were I stranded on a deserted island. Number three would be a strong signal/wifi connection.

I bought my Pre on day one -- and I still reel a little when I see people demanding Palm flood the app store with what will likely be a bunch of craptacular applications no one will use, just to say "Well, Palm has a bajillion apps in their store!" I'd much rather say, "The app catalog is limited, but it's still in beta and Palm seems to prefer quality apps over the quantity of them."
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Speaking as a former iPhone owner I can say the only apps I miss that are not available right now are a planetarium app, an online banking app, and a Sprint app to quickly ay my bills.

The iPhone may have 75K apps but the overwhealming majority seem to be either useless, duplicates of other apps, or games. I'll take quality over quantity any day. The App Catalog may not have it all yet but it still has more apps than the iPhone did after it had been out for 4 months
    Exactly!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    see ya, and get used to forced closures with Android. Nice OS but that ****es me off. Between forced closed and having to get an app killer app to close programs that run in the background that you dont even know about sucks. You will be back
    I also planned on giving up on WebOS but I'm sure android has it's problems also. Can you please explain to me how forced closures and kill apps relate to the android vs pre?

Also anything else that you like about the pre vs android?

I never owned an android device
    Did everybody all of a sudden forget this article?

Palm overwhelmed with app submissions

Palm's decision to open development to everyone has left it facing more webOS app submissions than it can take, the company's Developer Community Manager Chuq Von Rospach admitted this week. After developers complained that they weren't getting responses regarding their own apps, the official told those affected that more have arrived "than we could handle well" and that three extra people have been recruited just to streamline app testing.

Von Rospach didn't say how many apps had been submitted since the necessary Mojo SDK was made publicly available in July, nor did he provide an indication of the balance of paid versus free apps.

The news is regardless an important sign for Palm, whose App Catalog has regularly trailed virtually all the others in terms of sheer size. Only about 30 apps were available shortly after the Pre's launch as the California company launched the Catalog in beta and only allowed a handful of developers early access. These also regularly had to be free apps as Palm didn't have a full payment system. That isn't expected to appear until webOS 1.2 goes live in the near future.

By comparison, Apple's success with the iPhone's App Store has been attributed in part to a coordinated release that saw nearly all developers get access at the same time and a formal rollout that waited until a full commercial infrastructure was in place.
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...talog.backlog/

There will be plenty of apps. Palm has said many times they have THOUSANDS of developers on board. This is a platform with a userbase probably close to 1 million. A developer would be stupid not to tap that for money.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did everybody all of a sudden forget this article?
    Nope. That's why I'll sit down and wait patiently with a stupid grin on my face.
    I am so tired of all the sad babies on this site that expect everything to be awesome overnight. Iphone has been out many years now and they still can't release a phone that can multi-app. Most of their apps are crap and only a few are actually worth owning. I have an ipod touch and I used it a lot before I got my Pre.
    Now it collects dust like all the crap phones before my Pre.

Is my Pre meeting all my needs currently. No.
    Do I believe that it will in the future. YES!

For the love of god and all things sane, either leave Pre or work to make it better.
    Either way shut up and let those of us who do like it work to fix what needs to be fixed and make it a better phone for those of us that care.

I am sure AT&T would love to take your money and give you crap in return.
    Sprint and Palm have put out a decent product that has a very good chance of becoming something great. I LOVE MY PRE! I am not affraid to put it up against an iphone or android phone. I think it rocks and am glad I camped out for it.
    I agree,if it wasnt for homebrew,i would be outta here.it really doesnt matter how many apps are available,its what kind of apps (free or paid apps )that are available.I think if nothing good comes out soon im leaving you palm boys here and going where the grown ups are!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast