1. Vew
    Now, I'm a loyal user of the PalmOS and a fan of Handspring, but today, my friends were trying to convert me to PocketPC!! I hate to admit it, but it looked promising. Worst of all, the best one that I liked was a Compaq! How can Compaq make such a crappy desktop PC, yet make such a powerful mobile device?

I just wanted the opinions of others about the PalmOS vs PocketPC. Maybe someone can convert me back Anyways, I currently have a Visor Deluxe and my next PDA will probably be color, yay!

I mean... 32 megs... built in mp3 player... PC compatability... the quality of the graphics!! ahhh! noo! this can't be happening!
    ~Jonathan
    Originally posted by Vew
    I mean... 32 megs... built in mp3 player... PC compatability... the quality of the graphics!! ahhh! noo! this can't be happening!
    [Haunting mode]
    Clie N760C, CLIE N760C, CLIE N760C CLIE N760C. Get a 32 MB memory stick mailed to you. Built-in MP3 player. PC compatibility. Great graphics. Much cheaper. Palm OS.
    [/Haunting mode]

While I think you should still stay with Handspring, if what you really want is that above, go with this.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele

[Haunting mode]
    Clie N760C, CLIE N760C, CLIE N760C CLIE N760C. Get a 32 MB memory stick mailed to you. Built-in MP3 player. PC compatibility. Great graphics. Much cheaper. Palm OS.
    [/Haunting mode]

While I think you should still stay with Handspring, if what you really want is the above, go with this.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Well, the new Jornada's have sold me partially. I still have my Edge, and use it daily. But the 64MB's of RAM on the 567 is awesome! I just got a new replacement unit with a S/N higher than the 'new' clean manufacturing process, so this one should be dust free. That's been (IMHO) the PocketPC's biggest drawback...dust under those beautiful screens. But alas, there's just not the software for it yet....otherwise I'd probably be off the Edge completely...well, then again, I still like it a lot.

I just don't think that I should have to use VFS on a PDA to get over the 8 MB Ram...yes there's the Pro, but I'm a fan of the Edge...my point is that people have been upgrading to 16mb's for a couple years and I just wonder...how hard could it be for them to have just put a 16mb chip on the Edge (and other models) right from the get go? I dunno...I've been pretty disillusioned by the lack of innovation from HS & Palm...Sony's at least trying. We probably won't see anything great until OS5...(sadly.)
    Originally posted by dorelse
    But alas, there's just not the software for it yet....otherwise I'd probably be off the Edge completely...well, then again, I still like it a lot.
    I have been hearing this since I first began to research my PDA purchase. Everyone keeps saying there is no software for the PPC, and I disagree.

While I am completely happy with my CLIE, I still find myself wanting to know more about the PPC devices and the OS in general. In so doing, I have come across several websites devoted to FreeWare for the PPC. Not to mention all the websites for ShareWare apps.

Here are three such sites with loads of downloads. Not to mention the PalmOS developers that are now writing apps for both platforms.

FreewareOne

FreewareTwo

FreewareThree **This site is in French, but an English version is in the works**

While I absolutely love my CLIE and the PalmOS, one can no longer argue that software is not available for PPC.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Volcanopele makes some great points.

Guys don't forget that 32MB on a PPC is NOT the same as 32MB on a Palm OS device. 1) the programs are bigger, 2) A lot of that RAM is already calaimed by portions of the PPC 2002 OS that has to RESIDE IN RAM!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Well, my point is this...go out and search for software for the Palm vs PPC, say for example on Handango...search for Journal. Palm OS comes back with 77 hits, where as PPC has 12. The Palm side has running journals, fishing journals, work journals, prayer journals, headache journals, journals, journals. PPC has 12, and they're all pretty much the same...hooks into the Outlook Journal, except for JournalPro, which rocks. This is the point I'm trying to make, is there a ton of software for the PPC, yes, but it lacks the choices that the Palm side has.

Is the PPC side getting better, absolutely. I'm a big fan of the PPC, I Love my Jornada 567...I think they're pushing Palm to do things more quickly and better than before...competition is usually good for the consumer.

I just wish there was more software choices in each category...That's what I'm getting at.
    Part of this answer has to be "what do you want?"

PocketPC's are bigger, heavier, and more expensive than Palms generally, but they also provide an almost seamless way to carry your computer with you.

If this is what you want or need to do, go for it! It seems to be a lot more cost effective than a laptop with most of the functionality.

But, the 'penalty' is a different selection of software (Palm has a wider and more diverse selection, but a lot of it has no way to output or share it with printers or your main computer, which may or may not be important to you!) as well as the size and cost.

Palms are 'just' simple, small, lightweight, inexpensive devices that do a lot of really neat things. We can use them to replace a computer or laptop in many ways. They are not perfect replacements for a laptop, but they do well enough for most of us that we would not pay the extra for the difference.

MP3 capabilities, etc.? You know- I got an MP3 player (2 at one point, in fact), but I just cannot seem to get into it. If you need/want it, then it should form a major part of your decision, however, there is a weight/size/price/performance/memory penalty for this and most other features.

As for me, I love my new Prism, and will probably stick with it for at least a year before I worry too much about changing.

What really cracks me up are my friends that have PocketPC's and cannot use them to their full advantage because they never quite figured out Windows to begin with. They have a $400+ electronic organizer that my Deluxe could outperform because I know how to really USE it! One buddy uses his PocketPC as a GameBoy replacement more than anything else!
  9. Vew
    I have considered the Sonly Clie, but ever since Sony made their Memory Sticks a standard, I refuse to buy a mobile device that forces me to use it. Until they have an option to go with the usual standards such as Compact Flash, Smart Media Cards, or even MMC, I don't want it. I know... I'm stubborn. Augh... They make me so mad. This is why I didn't get a Sony CyberShot over the summer...

Anyways, I had an interesting revelation during class today. If PocketPCs let you watch .avi videos w/o any conversion, and if you got a large say 256 or 512 mb compact flash card... you could watch a divx movie during class!! How cool would that be?

... Grr. Memory Stick... =P
    ~Jonathan
    I thought this was a thread about religion
    the topic title confused me
    HELL~0
    give it time ... it'll happen ...
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    The bottom line of the Palm OS is it's simplicity. I started out with a Windows CE device (Philips Nino) and converted to Palm OS when the Visor deluxe came out. I went down from a color Nino to a Deluxe. I've found the Palm OS to be quicker, easier to use and more stable. I was tempted by Pocket PC, and even bought a cheap Ipaq on Amazon to see if I wanted to switch again, but ended up putting it on ebay. It frustrated me that I still would fill my memory and have to go back and close programs to free up memory. I never have to do that with a Palm. Now, I'm using a Clie, and love it. The multimedia and resolution benefits (for the most part) of a PocketPC, with the simplicity of a Palm. I think it's the best option out there right now (especially with my 128mb MS! sorry Vew!)
    Originally posted by Vew
    How can Compaq make such a crappy desktop PC, yet make such a powerful mobile device?
    Well, for starters, Compaq doesn't build PCs. They don't build the iPaq either. All of Compaq and HP's products are made by Asian "White box" OEMs.

In fact, no PC maker...including Dell, makes their own notebook PCs. They all come from overseas, which probably explains why the quality is so poor. Damn cheap labor!

I just wanted the opinions of others about the PalmOS vs PocketPC. Maybe someone can convert me back
    You should use what feels more comfortable to you. But the best way to determine which platform suits you best, is to decide what exactly you are using a PDA for. Do you listen to MP3 music throughout the day? Do you really want to watch 30 second movie trailers on your handheld? Or do you just use your handheld for basic PIM functionality? Is size important? Price?

My advice, as always, is to go to your nearest Circuit City or Staples and try each device out.
  14. Vew
    I use my Visor everyday. I use it from playing games, keeping track of my assignment, random notes, news, mp3 (sounds good), phone book, and much more. The only reason I don't have many pictures or videos on it is b/c of the monochrome screen.

The problem is that I don't know what I want out of a handheld. Really, when it comes down to it, if it can do it, I'll probably use it. I mean, how can I pass up new, fresh, technological features??

Size wise, if it can fit in my pocket, I'm good to go. Espically since I got Docker's Mobile pants for x-mas. Whoo hoo! Price - If it's under 400, I'll go for it, but the freeing RAM for applications sounds anoying.

As for the PC topic. This is why when I get my new computer this summer, I'm gonna be building it myself! Time to get Leo Laport and Pactick Norton's book on how to build a computer.. Muhaha!
    ~Jonathan
    Well, if you spend the $$ for a 64MB model, you'll never have to close any programs on the PPC's. I am especially fond of the Jornada 560 series, b/c of the onboard CF slot, with my 128MB flash, I store a ton of files (MP3's, Video's, etc) on it, and haven't even topped 20MB of Ram usage yet. Keep in mind too that the 'higher' quality brands (HP, iPaq), have 32MB of ROM, so the onboard apps, never touch the 64MB Ram.

However, I also use my Handera 330 quite a bit b/c of the onboard SD & CF slots, using it in conjunction with AutoCard & FileMan, I've basically got my 8mb of Ram, 2mb Flash ROM, & a 32MB SD card & a 32MB CF card in it, and that's over 74MB of Ram to use....which rocks!

I still need a Palm around b/c there are apps that I've purchased licenses' for that don't exist in PPC land yet.

My Edge I use...um, well, at least its PRETTY! (Sorry HS...you need to kick it in high gear and get a new PDA out.) Quick...I'm reluctantly exiting, stage left.

Its your choice really...go to Best Buy, whereever and play!
  16. Vew
    I just went to Best Buy today and played with all their stuff =)

Aww, the decision is sooo hard. Maybe I'll wait too see if one exceeds the others... The IPaq and the Clie's colors look so nice, but I have so many springboard modules for my visor. Ahhh, I need to sleep on it, hehe.
    ~Jonathan
    I found that the backup module, memplug and SoundsGood were the modules I most used on my Visor. When I realized a Clie with a memory stick would be able to perform the function of all three at once, I was sold.