Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    For android not the Pre. This would be able if Palm added the $1 part. How the hell could they have missed this!?!?!?!

Videos: Layar, the Android augmented reality application we all love, is going 3D this November
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I think the Pre is amazing, but if Palm doesn't announce that the next Pre will have a digital compass I think I'll have to switch to the Hero.

I hope it isn't too late for the Pixie. If they get it added to the Pixie the Devs can start on some sweet apps.
    Neat, major bragging rights with an app like this. However, I have to question the actual usefulness. It relies on a very good heading reading and GPS location fix. Neither of which seems to be reliable on most mobile gadgets.

However, assuming it worked perfect. Personally, I would rather see a cloud of choices on a map, rather than having to spin around looking for things. Of course.. I never have had trouble figuring out which way is which on a map, but I know people who can never figure out where they are, let alone which way theyre pointed/headed.
    Augmented reality application we all love
    I'd have to say your speaking for yourself here...I couldn't care less for a program that lays over the icons of buisness that I can easily find with google maps or tele-nav. I just don't feel a need or a want for this type app...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    OMG, does anyone in this forum have vision?

Think of traveling and site seeing. You carry your phone down a crowded street in Prague... no more site seeing maps.

In a old church, art galleries, museums!

Take the Di Vinci Code tour with your phone!

Virtual games, tag,

How about this, you on the streets in New York and you're looking for a taxi. You hold your phone up and there are bubbles above all the taxis telling you where they are going and if they will allow fare sharing. Find one, flag it down, split the cost.

Think what GPS did to maps, this is the next step. Not just where you are, but where you're looking. This is the ability to combine the data we need with what we see. Its going to be very big.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post

Think of traveling and site seeing. You carry your phone down a crowded street in Prague... no more site seeing maps.

In a old church, art galleries, museums!

Take the Di Vinci Code tour with your phone!

Virtual games, tag,

How about this, you on the streets in New York and you're looking for a taxi. You hold your phone up and there are bubbles above all the taxis telling you where they are going and if they will allow fare sharing. Find one, flag it down, split the cost.

Think what GPS did to maps, this is the next step. Not just where you are, but where you're looking. This is the ability to combine the data we need with what we see. Its going to be very big.
    Not to be a downer, but the tags (bubbles) are attached to non moving objects, each of the cabs would have to have some sort of transponder, etc, in order for that to work, and I dont see that happening any time soon.

Tours, sight-seeing, etc, I can see the usefulness. The thing is though, most tourist destinations have all the info youd ever want available anyway.

Unless you dont know where you are, where youre going, or how to get there, I dont (personally) have an application for this. I would rather use the tools available (google maps, street view, satellite images) to find where I want to head, then find a route there, and then go. Burying myself in a cumbersome heads-up display will just make folks (an even greater) menace on the road, and have people walking through crowds with their nose in their phone, not watching where they are going.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yawn. Augmented reality is a fad and hopefully will disappear soon.
    and the gaming aspect is nice, but by the time those apps are reliable and functional, I am sure a new Palm device will be available with a compass. Besides, with the amount of Pre's out there, would I find players to play tag with?
    I tend to get a new phone every year with my premier upgrade, so i really don't see it as palm dropping the ball or not adapting the latest and greatest. Simply because AR is still a few years away from being truly usefull...at least to me.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Corrected title to match content and moved to correct forum.
    I'm sure eventually (way down the road) this will be something useful and widespread. For now it's more of a toy though.

How many times are you actually going to call up your camera and stand there pointing your phone down the street to see the two restaurants in plain site, versus pulling up an overhead view and seeing a dozen of them a block over or around a corner?

The great thing about satellite mapping was that it gave you that ability to jump 25 or 50 or 500 feet in the air and get a huge perspective, as opposed to needing line of sight.

Quite frankly I think this is going to see use by urban mac hipsters giggling over it with their friends. As far as bringing real functionality to my life, it's much more limiting than a map I can manipulate, so for now it's not a better solution.
    Gps doesn't really work that well in new york city because of the buildings.. If it does you'll be missing a few satellites and it will show you one or two blocks away.
    I think the Pre is amazing, but if Palm doesn't announce that the next Pre will have a digital compass I think I'll have to switch to the Hero.
    Oh the drama. You might of well switch to the Hero now. The next Pre isn't going to be announced anytime soon, and by then there would be a new Hero anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Yep I do, and insight gleened from the past. Insight tells me that AR is unlikely to produce anything actually useful to me before my contract 22 months are up. It also tells me that when something practical and polished is fully developed, most current hardware, like the hero, won't be running it optimally.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    Yep I do, and insight gleened from the past. Insight tells me that AR is unlikely to produce anything actually useful to me before my contract 22 months are up. It also tells me that when something practical and polished is fully developed, most current hardware, like the hero, won't be running it optimally.
    But won't this put Palm in the exact same place they are now...

behind, catching up....
    But won't this put Palm in the exact same place they are now...

behind, catching up....
    they aren't catching up now, they were this time last year. right now they have one of the hottest devices, with an industry leading OS that has set a new bar for smartphones in the area of multitasking.

whatever is put in place, I would guess that it will be based in part on google maps and such, and will probably be open for developers, who, if we know anything, will rock hard to make it work for palm.

in other words, it is the infratructure that will be developed to make the tech useful, and that will probably be a more universal database type, which palm can plug into.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts