1.    #1  
    Alright, I have been trying to research and look up information regarding Verizon's Blackberry Data Plan and it confuses me more and more.

So here's the deal. I switched to Sprint from Verizon for the PRE!!! I'm very pleased with my decision BUT my parents are still with verizon. They were paying an arm and a leg for their shared plan. Not sure of the exact price. I just moved to NYC so my mother sends me a lot of texts and she was racking up costs doing that. So I figure, heck, why don't they just get data plans. That way my mother can hop online, text me all she wants and check her e-mail. Besides her plan ended a month or so ago so she was due for a new phone. So I told her, "hey, check out some blackberry phones. You can probably get a data plan for a little extra than what you are paying..."

Well, she looked into it and she told me the Verizon rep said it's 29.99 for unlimited data...? What the heck does this mean?

I thought it was $119 for unlimited data/unlimited email/unlimited texting and 700 minutes of talk time.

Is the Verizon rep saying she has to pay whatever amount of money for her phone bill PLUS an additional 29.99 for unlimited data?

I'm just confused.

All I know Is that I called her today and she was already in the verizon store working things out. She is getting the TOUR (Hope she likes it) and she is also getting a netbook for free with her purchase.

So, can someone who owns a BB please help me out and explain to me this whole data plan confusion. I'm just trying to look out for her and the $$$ she is spending because she isn't too tech savvy!!! haha.

At least she has 30 days to change her mind if something gets out of hand, right!?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    All Blackberry owners have to pay a little extra for their plans. Blackberrys have their own specifec Data plan.
    bb have a special web just for them is what i was told because of the way its all set up . dont know if this is true . so every bb has that charge(29.99) added to whatever plan they add to their service
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #5  
    No crap this is PREcentral. But this is also a "OTHER HANDHELDS" Forum. If you aren't going to post anything of value then why post anything at all?

Thanks to those people who did add some value to this post.

She ended up getting 2 Tours and a Netbook for 100 dollars total.
    Her plan on the other hand is going to be around 200 bucks. That's for unlimited data and the colling plans for the two BB Tours and for the Plan for the Netbook. 200 dollars isn't that bad for all of that. They were paying 130ish just for two basic, bare phones before. So an extra 70 bucks for all that stuff isn't bad...

Win Win in my book.
    On Sprint's BB service, if another phone is on a share plan, they all get the BB service at no extra charge. Meaning BB service is same as regular data service. Just wanted to throw that out there....relating to pre, I get that BB service...but i don't get the difference. I think its just extra sprinttv channels
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I have a friend with Verizon and she says you have to pay the extra $29. That's something I love about Sprint, if you have an "everything" plan you don't pay extra for your BB. I had a BB before the Pre
  7.    #8  
    Hey rangt, so wait... Ifmy mother is paying 29.99 for the BB service then my father shouldn't have to pay that? As of right now they are both paying the 29.99...

Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Hey rangt, so wait... Ifmy mother is paying 29.99 for the BB service then my father shouldn't have to pay that? As of right now they are both paying the 29.99...

Hmmm
    Is your father using some other data phone? The $29.99 is also for other data phones like the Motorola Q, Centro, etc. But somehow the BB adds something on top of that to. I should also mention that unlimited data doesn't mean that they have unlimited text. VZW changed that meaning a long time ago.

Hmmm
    I'm not sure as that is for VZW....i only brought in Sprint to make this Pre related. when my bro got his BB on sprint, sprint said they don't want BB customers have to pay more for the BB service than any other smartphone on an unlimited data plan. I guess VZW is making you guys do that. i'm not sure.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  10.    #11  
    bdhu2001 - No, my father is using the new BB Tour he just got.

Well, I guess this is how it all broke down...

They went into the verizon store. My mothers 2 year contract was up so she had store credit towards a new phone waiting for her. She is told they have a deal on BB's. Specifically the brand new Tours. You buy 1 tour you get 1 free...

So after all her discounts, her store credits the phone cost her 200 bucks. BUT, the phone had a mail in 100 dollar rebate. So she gets a hundred bucks back. So all in all. They got 2 brand new Tours and a Netbook for 100 bucks. That's a nice freaking deal!.

Their phone plan is like 119 for the minutes/etc. they each have to pay an additional 29 bucks for their data plans. and my mother got a 39 dollar plan for her netbook.

so 200 bucks a month. Still, not bad.

Now the difficult task. Trying to teach them how to use their devices. HA HA. *sighhh*
    bdhu2001 - No, my father is using the new BB Tour he just got.

Well, I guess this is how it all broke down...

They went into the verizon store. My mothers 2 year contract was up so she had store credit towards a new phone waiting for her. She is told they have a deal on BB's. Specifically the brand new Tours. You buy 1 tour you get 1 free...

So after all her discounts, her store credits the phone cost her 200 bucks. BUT, the phone had a mail in 100 dollar rebate. So she gets a hundred bucks back. So all in all. They got 2 brand new Tours and a Netbook for 100 bucks. That's a nice freaking deal!.

Their phone plan is like 119 for the minutes/etc. they each have to pay an additional 29 bucks for their data plans. and my mother got a 39 dollar plan for her netbook.

so 200 bucks a month. Still, not bad.

Now the difficult task. Trying to teach them how to use their devices. HA HA. *sighhh*
    why does she need the $39 plan for the netbook? Doesn't she have wifi at home? $39/month for two yrs is a lot for a netbook, even with a cell plan.

What will she use the netbook for? A smartphone like the Pre (or even iPhone) that allows tethering could have been a better value. But of course I don't know all the details...
  12.    #13  
    Really Mobile - Yes, she has wifi at home.

But the way they con you into getting the netbook for free is that you have to sign up for a 2 year agreement with a plan. So I mean, in the end of it, yes. She is paying a lot!

Then again, it might be of some use to her. She is a shop owner so she travels to events, sets up booths and sells her merchandise and stuff. So, that could come in handy because those places usually never have Wifi. She travels from time to time so she would be able to use the netbook for whatever. I dunno, personally I wouldn't have bit the bullet. Especially on a 2 year plan @ 39 bucks a month. But, she did. Oh well, I hope they enjoy the Smartphone world.

I think it's hilarious. My father doesn't even have an e-mail address let alone know what to do with a smartphone. While Verizon was setting up the phones, my mother told me she went shopping in the mall for a bit. When she went back to the store the Reps were giving my Father a demo/tour of how to work the phone and its features and he was all into it. Ha Ha.

Welcome to Technology Mom and Dad!