1.    #1  
    I do not understand the difference between pre cards and android widgets? Do they both allow multi-tasking? Thanks in advance
    yes they both multitask but widgets are like small applets in the homescreen unlike the pre which is the actual app in a minimized form
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the reply. Are the appelets "running" in the background like the cards? If not, how does it multitask?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    thanks for the reply. Are the appelets "running" in the background like the cards? If not, how does it multitask?
    Yes, and no. It's kind of like your clock running in the background. Nothing too complex. It cannot be truely called multitasking because it is not a true App, because if it were, then my watch multitasks with a minute hand and a second hand.

Now if my watch also sang street rap while darning socks, then we might have something.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 09/24/2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Yah I've been confused too about if the Hero multitasks or not. Some people say it does but I don't see how. I don't get the widget thing.
    Multitasking is multiple programs & windows open & running on a pc. Or the cards on the Pre. Anything short of that isn't multitasking to me. I don't see how there can be a grey area. How can you "kind of" multitask?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    Yah I've been confused too about if the Hero multitasks or not. Some people say it does but I don't see how. I don't get the widget thing.
    Multitasking is multiple programs & windows open & running on a pc. Or the cards on the Pre. Anything short of that isn't multitasking to me. I don't see how there can be a grey area. How can you "kind of" multitask?
    the hero does multitask because it can indeed run multiple apps in the background. the pre just brings it all to the homescreen where you can manage them from there

but just because you dont see the actual app in the homescreen dont mean it isnt running. if you hold the home button on the hero or any other android device for that matter, you get a window with the list of apps running where you can toggle between them

the widgets are more like the ones you get in a windows vista desktop
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The way I've seen it is, cards are full apps, while widgets are more like very active icons on the desktop, not a full app but has a single function. A twitter card lets you search tweets, view the people you follow, fallow new people etc. a twitter widget only shows your twitter feed.
    I guess the main question for some is whether you can run more than one full-sized app at a time in Android?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrythe View Post
    A twitter card lets you search tweets, view the people you follow, fallow new people etc. a twitter widget only shows your twitter feed.
    So are you saying a twitter app for webos will be more "robust" than a twitter app made for android?

Can you give me a real life scenario where the cards on webos have an advantage over other operating systems?

Trying to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    So are you saying a twitter app for webos will be more "robust" than a twitter app made for android?

Can you give me a real life scenario where the cards on webos have an advantage over other operating systems?

Trying to understand.
    This is not a comparison of Apps, but Widgets and Apps. Widgets provide data pulled from an Application/source, whereas the Application actually generates the data.

My cellphone clock is like unto a widget, whereas the clock App is the source where my cellphone clock widget pulls data.

Twitter on Android/Pre/Iphone is only as good as the developer of the App. So could the Pre app be more robust? Sure, but it could also be much much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    the hero does multitask because it can indeed run multiple apps in the background. the pre just brings it all to the homescreen where you can manage them from there

but just because you dont see the actual app in the homescreen dont mean it isnt running. if you hold the home button on the hero or any other android device for that matter, you get a window with the list of apps running where you can toggle between them

the widgets are more like the ones you get in a windows vista desktop
    Well that would be like my old mogul then.It would drop down a list of running apps also,hence,somewhat multitasking.Which i used on it all the time.Although,I found the cards cool,it seemed somewhat gimmicky at first.But i have to say,after finding real use for them at times,like having a text open,while contacts is open,to pull a number or 2 to send through text,while pandora or net2streams is still playing while my dopewars game is shrunk,is pretty cool.I fault the pre for it's short comings,but i dont think I could go cardless now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post

The same way many IPhone users have been bragging they have been able to do for months now...with the impression of running multiple apps without actually having full ability to run and switch between then in windows/cards.

I have a person at work who has an IPhone 3G and tried ot show me their multitask when I ripped out my Pre (mainly stating that IPHone is better and can do that forever ago), now thats a sad excuse of being called multitasking.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/24/2009 at 03:47 PM.