Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Can someone convince me to switch from the iPhone to the Pre. I have debated and just can't seem to pull the trigger. I have read various comparisons already, but just need that extra push. Any compelling arguments?
    It depends on you. The only compelling arguement for or against the Pre for you is if you like it or not, and does it do what you want it to.

Go over to Sprint and sign up. Use it for a bit and make a decision. You have 30 days to try it out wherever you want. If you like it, then jump ship. If you don't, no harm done other than you have to pay for the service you used with Sprint.

Give it a shot. We're rooting for you.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    you have no idea how glorious it is to run 7 or 8 apps at the same time, you can run pandora in the background, you can run anything in the background, plus it sounds like the app catalog is about to start having more an more apps, palm is so open that the developers are busy fixing bugs and even added a virtual keyboard to go along with the physical keyboard. its a spectacular phone, someone else post now?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    If you play alot of games on your iphone then you will want to stick with the iphone. If you like doing everything else plus save money then get the Pre. It's really that simple...

Just hold off on porting your number until you are sure it works for you and you get service all the places you need. 30 day is enough time to figure that out.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    You know, as easy as it sounds, I never thought of taking advantage of the 30 day trial. I am going to give it a shot. I love the idea of running multiple apps at once. I am tired of the novelty which became my iPhone. I've come to the realization I only use about 4-5 apps a day which I could live without.

Can anyone comment on the native email app in comparison to the iPhone's? Gmail in particular.

Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by bvilly View Post
    Can someone convince me to switch from the iPhone to the Pre. I have debated and just can't seem to pull the trigger. I have read various comparisons already, but just need that extra push. Any compelling arguments?
    Wow...
    So many variables without knowing what's most important to you...? Here's a few questions I can think of to help.

1. What's your AT&T bill like?
    2. Is there any iPhone apps you can't live without?
    3. Is Turn-by-Turn Nav important?
    4. Are you an NFL and/or NASCAR fanatic?
    5. Is Google Voice a must have?
    6. do you need 12 Fart and 9 Flashlight apps?
    7. How's Sprint Coverage in your area?
    8. Do you have friends/family on other mobile carriers you call allot?
    9. Is important that you want to change/upgrade to a new device every 12 months?
    10. Do you want to tether your device or use as a wifi 3G router?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    One thing about the Palm community, is that apps will continue to be created. The apps that you use on the iPhone will probably be created for the Palm within the year. Palm is the original app community. There are over 80,000 apps for PalmOS and in time I believe that will happpen for the Palm Pre. So, you won't be missing much, except the 3D games, as someone mentioned before.

Also, Sprint is much cheaper than AT&T (over $600 savings over 2 years), and they just started anymobile, anytime. You can call any mobile number, 24/7 for free.
    Palm for life
    IIIx...TE...TX...Pre

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Wow...
    So many variables without knowing what's most important to you...? Here's a few questions I can think of to help.

1. What's your AT&T bill like?
    2. Is there any iPhone apps you can't live without?
    3. Is Turn-by-Turn Nav important?
    4. Are you an NFL and/or NASCAR fanatic?
    5. Is Google Voice a must have?
    6. do you need 12 Fart and 9 Flashlight apps?
    7. How's Sprint Coverage in your area?
    8. Do you have friends/family on other mobile carriers you call allot?
    9. Is important that you want to change/upgrade to a new device every 12 months?
    10. Do you want to tether your device or use as a wifi 3G router?
    1. I pay $80 a month(on a family plan). Would pay less for sprint because my gf's company gets a discount - advantage Pre
    2. Apps I use daily = stocks, sportacular(sports app), weather, RSA SecurID, CBS Sports. - advantage iPhone(to some extent)
    3. I have a tom-tom. - however, advantage Pre because this is standard.
    4. NFL fanatic - advantage Pre
    5. Never use google voice - advantage Pre
    6. Yes the more fart apps the better (kidding) - advantage Pre
    7. I live in NY(Bronx) and work in the city, travel doesn't exceed that on daily basis - but I will use 30 day trial to test - advantage pending.
    8. General Plan better on Pre.
    9. Yes very important. I need a new toy at least every year. Sprint allows upgrades every year?
    10. I don't tether right now, but the option to have it is nice - advantage Pre.

So I guess I just made up my mind huh?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Welcome aboard!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Sprint does allow upgrades every year but its only $75. If you wait your 2 years its $150. I hope you like the phone, you can customize so much on it. I just added a theme and updated my on-screen keyboard. its a great phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobeo6253 View Post
    Sprint does allow upgrades every year but its only $75. If you wait your 2 years its $150. I hope you like the phone, you can customize so much on it. I just added a theme and updated my on-screen keyboard. its a great phone!
    not if you have sprint premier, then you get the full upgrade every year. I believe all the plans that the pre requires qualifies for premier. Not sure how discounts play into it though.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    not if you have sprint premier, then you get the full upgrade every year. I believe all the plans that the pre requires qualifies for premier. Not sure how discounts play into it though.

i just checked and im not a sprint premier customer.
    Sprint Premiere allows you full upgrade after 12 months vs. 24 months with lower tier plans...just as other carriers do.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    The discount you get on new equipment on S|P works out to be the same as if it were new contract pricing.
    i just checked and im not a sprint premier customer.
    If you have a Pre, Instinct or Touch Diamond/Pro, you are S|P. If you just recently got your Pre, you will get S|P status after 3 months.

Only exception I know is if you are on an ESRP plan or you somehow bought an off-contract device and you "slipped through the cracks" without Sprint noticing.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    If you have a Pre, Instinct or Touch Diamond/Pro, you are S|P. If you just recently got your Pre, you will get S|P status after 3 months.

Only exception I know is if you are on an ESRP plan or you somehow bought an off-contract device and you "slipped through the cracks" without Sprint noticing.
    Only if your plan is $99 or more then your a SP. i was having an issue with my billing so i was chatting with a sprint rep and that what she told me. im on an everything data plan 69.99.
    1. I pay $80 a month(on a family plan). Would pay less for sprint because my gf's company gets a discount - advantage Pre
    If you get an individual plan, you'll be at $80 (less any discount though your GF). Plus, recommend adding TEP (Sprint's insurance). I don't see much advantage...about equal. If you are going to still share a family plan, but now though Sprint, then it's $130/2, assuming your sharing the cost too.
    2. Apps I use daily = stocks, sportacular(sports app), weather, RSA SecurID, CBS Sports. - advantage iPhone(to some extent)
    Yup, there's a basic stock app..not to exciting. iPhone does have itself quite an app catalog to choose from
    3. I have a tom-tom. - however, advantage Pre because this is standard.
    SprintNAV is great. Not as full featured as a real PND but most major features are there. One bummer is no integration from your contacts to SprintNAV. Rumor has it that 1.2 may add some functionality/integration.
    4. NFL fanatic - advantage Pre
    Not saying that Sprint's NFL is a "killer app" but the Pre version is about the best one in the Sprint line-up...smokes the BB version IMO.
    5. Never use google voice - advantage Pre
    6. Yes the more fart apps the better (kidding) - advantage Pre
    7. I live in NY(Bronx) and work in the city, travel doesn't exceed that on daily basis - but I will use 30 day trial to test - advantage pending.
    30-day trial...is a must
    8. General Plan better on Pre.
    remember that on Sprint, Mobile-2-Mobile is Sprint-2-ANYBODY'S mobile, no matter what carrier they're on. This can be a big money saver on the 450min plan. Also, Night/weekends start at 7a-7p on Sprint.
    9. Yes very important. I need a new toy at least every year. Sprint allows upgrades every year?
    Sprint|Premiere has got you covered..kind of. You get new contract pricing on devices every 12 months. At least you're not paying full off-contract pricing on devices.
    10. I don't tether right now, but the option to have it is nice - advantage Pre.
    Here's a nice hack...enable wifi router mode with the MyTether app, use your old iPhone as an iPod Touch gaming device and skype phone. Provided Palm/Sprint doesn't block this in the future.

A few other caveats: the iPhone (as w/ all other apple products) is about the best quality-built device. This is where the iPhone spoils you.
    Also, Apple has infinite engineering resources compared to Palm. You will "feel" that in the way the UI executes. The iPhone is far smoother and graceful. However, Palm has done a great job with the navigation concepts of webOS and the 'Cards' metaphor with application. After a short while you'll forget about the iPhone's smoothness once you get used to swiping and switching between active apps/cards.
    Only if your plan is $99 or more then your a SP. i was having an issue with my billing so i was chatting with a sprint rep and that what she told me. im on an everything data plan 69.99.
    You're Premiere 'brother....

Read the bottom for the qualifications:
    Sprint|Premiere
    Before you drop your iphone jailbreak it. It takes it up to another level.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    Before you drop your iphone jailbreak it. It takes it up to another level.
    Been there before, not too impressed. Winterboard slows it down drastically and I have found all the apps to be very buggy.
    Been there before, not too impressed. Winterboard slows it down drastically and I have found all the apps to be very buggy.
    Winterboard? never heard of that one...maybe thats why it was rubbish! lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast