1.    #1  
    I'm up at 3 am hosting a lively variation of the common rhinovirus, so I thought I'd post a few thoughts on how the runored "m525" could be justified with the OS 5/ARM units coming out in the "second half" (November) of 2002.

Looking at my 505, I am pleased with the overall package. I do have a list of improvements though:

brighter - no comments needed
    faster - with dozens of apps loaded thanks to PiDirect, things are getting a bit sluggish. The new 66mhz Dragonball would be nice.
    hi res - keep the thicker, readable fonts for text-based apps, but give me 320x320 (thank you Sony) for games and pics
    same dimensions or smaller
    same battery life or better

Add to that the rumored features of the "525" posted on PalmInfocenter here and here and you get a unit that Palm could debut at $450, which is the most I am willing to spend.

I believe that price and/or size and/or battery life will be sacrificed with the new ARM-based palm devices, unless Palm has access to technology unavailible Compaq, Toshiba, and the rest of the PPC hardware makers.

For this reason, I sincerely hope that Palm maintains the high-end dragonball line with the "525", along with the new ARM line. The hihg-end dragonball devices would continue to be popular with executives and uber-geeks on the high end; students, PIM consumers on the low end. The new larger, $500+ ARM machines would silence naysayers that claim Palm OS is now powerful enough for demanding enterprise-wide solutions.

Does this make sense? Or has the lack of oxygen finally pushed me into delerium?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Uh thats debatable bud.

*wearing oxygen mask

All of your improvements make sense. If Palm were smart they'd threaten to put m80's in their R&D groups @$$ to get them off their butts and make some compeling devices. Lets be honest. If Palm OS 5.0 is as much of a leap as from going from 3.0 to 4.0 (we should include hardware as well) its gonna be a rough ride for them. I mean really rough. I hate to say it but this time they really need to match PPC in features because they are in price.

*happily plays with his 710C+
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  3.    #3  
    On the issue of price pressure, Palminfocenter just posted a rumor that the new Sony T615 is already in Best Buy's system with hi-res and 16 MB for $415. If this guy is truly .49" thick (like the 505), I may be putting a couple of Best Buy gift cards to good use....
    MikeDemo
    *happily plays with his 710C+
    Yo MD, have you palyed with this thick font hack yet?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Yo MD, have you palyed with this thick font hack yet?

good lookin' out bro!!! Thick font looks like a great fix for those who have a hard time reading the thin fonts. I am quite fine with it, but the thick font is very appealing.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.