Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Wow and Ouch. I feel like I have been kicked in the Groin, but liked it. If that sounds weird, here is one for ya. My neighbor, John, just came back from a stop to the far east, China to be specific. He brought back with him a jailbroken Hero. I was tingling all over when I played with it. Guys this is fresh. I was ready with money in hand to get the Pre on Oct. 16th when my contract ran out, but NOW? I have to say I want to play with it a bit more, but first impression was niiiiice. The coolest thing for me was the ability to personalize it with pages for your own work needs. It reminded me of Spaces on Apple Leopard. You can create multiple work environments with grouped programs that work well or are needed together. Example, he set up a widget that linked his photos, onto the same page as his browser and mail widget to make fast attachments with copy/paste. He is an engineer, so most of his pictures were of compressors and such. Don't get me started on how he tells me about the Chinese taking pictures of everything, copying it, then producing it without any respect for patents.

Anyway, I wait patiently until the 11th to play with it some more and compare it head to head with the Pre for my needs.

Not trying to start anything here, but I was literally amazed like I was when I first played with the Pre. Cool huh!
    Yah I like the Hero as well. I'll be playing with it when it comes to Sprint and probably picking one up now that their one software update pretty much fixed most of the issues people had with it.

The home screens for me are just as good if not better in some ways than the Pre's cards. I'll have to get one in hand though and play with it before I decide if I want to jump ship.

Looks promissing though.
    Loving the widgets on it.
    There are quite a few things I really like about Android (especially the Hero). I just can't go back to anything after using the Pre's card system.

I'll definitely take a look at the Hero when it comes to Sprint, though.
    I probably will be wanting the Hero when it comes out, but my 30 days ends tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get it when it comes out on the 11th? That's the day after my birthday. U think I could find it on ebay next month for under $200?
    "The Pre is nice..."
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I can say this without much hesitation - the future is looking good, and my iphone (3g) is looking like an archaic cup and string right now.

I have been a life long Apple user, and it amazes me that a company known mainly for software has dropped the ball and fallen this far behind in just a couple of years. I open mail on my 3g, and the app I had up closes. Open browser, and the mail closes. Wow, it really seems weak after playing with the Pre and Hero.

I haven't called it one way or another. I have to play some more with the Hero, because I have been licking my chops for the Pre the last 3 weeks. It really is like Christmas in October!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    There are quite a few things I really like about Android (especially the Hero). I just can't go back to anything after using the Pre's card system.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    I can say this without much hesitation - the future is looking good, and my iphone (3g) is looking like an archaic cup and string right now.

I have been a life long Apple user, and it amazes me that a company known mainly for software has dropped the ball and fallen this far behind in just a couple of years. I open mail on my 3g, and the app I had up closes. Open browser, and the mail closes. Wow, it really seems weak after playing with the Pre and Hero.

I haven't called it one way or another. I have to play some more with the Hero, because I have been licking my chops for the Pre the last 3 weeks. It really is like Christmas in October!
    As of 3.0 the key programs like Browser, phone, ipod and email remain open. They may close to the backround but are still running. The 3g lacks ram but when I had a GS for a brief period of time it worked perfectly. The 3g is also over a year old.

if you start a reply here, don't finish it, home and open up a text, send text, home open up the browser your post will still be waiting. Even the Pre will sometimes force the browser card to reload if you switch and do to much so its not perfect either.

The visual system to multi task isn't as nice on the Iphone but its there for all the primary applications. Not much difference in swiping up or hitting the home key, selecting another card vs tapping an icon. The Pre's system is prettier for sure though.

I just don't like having to give up so much on the Pre for those cards.
    This is going to be an awesome phone. I can't wait. I will have it and the pre side by side. Best of both worlds. I have a strong feeling I will end up with the hero though. Sprint is really becoming a power house. Looking back at their phone options 2 years ago. I didn't think this day would come. Go sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    As of 3.0 the key programs like Browser, phone, ipod and email remain open. They may close to the backround but are still running. The 3g lacks ram but when I had a GS for a brief period of time it worked perfectly. The 3g is also over a year old.

if you start a reply here, don't finish it, home and open up a text, send text, home open up the browser your post will still be waiting. Even the Pre will sometimes force the browser card to reload if you switch and do to much so its not perfect either.

The visual system to multi task isn't as nice on the Iphone but its there for all the primary applications. Not much difference in swiping up or hitting the home key, selecting another card vs tapping an icon. The Pre's system is prettier for sure though.

Although the iphone does have minor multitasking capabilities, the ability to do things concurrently on the pre extends to everything. For example, try being able to switch on your wifi on an iphone and then attempt the same feat on a pre. The pre was designed to do multiple things at once even when it comes to the way menus are handled.

Imo, its a matter of approach in both systems. There's always a balance between simplicity and function. It's up to us to decide what fits our needs best. I suggest you follow suit as well. Cheers!
    hero looks nice...but I type alot...and I'm getting super comfy with the pre keyboard I can almost touch type on this thing now...
    one review of the Hero said it was slower than the iphone 3gs and if that's true I'll keep my pre and wait on the Hero 2 with faster hardware. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Not trying to start anything here, but I was literally amazed like I was when I first played with the Pre. Cool huh!
    I could care less about debates about one phone over another, because I' quite happy with my pre.

However, I think your comment here speaks volumes about the entire smartphone industry. It wasn't all that long ago that smartphones were an insignificant niche market, lacking in both aesthetics AND functionality.

Now, instead of trying to pick the one that is the "least crappy" we are trying to figure out which incredibly awesome unit is slightly more awesome than the competition.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything but besides playing music and downloading/installing apps, the iPhone does not multitask. There is a big difference between restoring the previous state in an application when opening it and multitasking. iPhone OS = DOS whereas WebOS, Android, WinMo = Windows/OSX/Linux when it comes to multitasking. I rarely open or close apps because I don't have to, but if I had an iPhone I would be opening and closing apps hundreds of times a day which may not take a ton of time but is annoying to say the least.

As soon as you don't have to quit Pandora/Navigation/playing a game/etc.. on an iPhone to do anything else I will change my tune.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Wow, really have you checked this. I agree with Strudel. I have opened the browser, and started to load a page, then home keyed to go to mail and selected to update incoming mail, then home key to go back to browser, and the browser is at the last point of loading when I left the app. Same for mail. This to me is not multi-tasking. The Pre and Hero will continue to load or update your mail or browser while on another app. The iPhone pauses the closed application.

Weak. Apple is a software company first. The linux based OS X is the cream of the crop, and the iPhone OS sucks in comparison. The WebOS by Palm is Linux based, and rocks! I can't defend Apple on this one.

Watch the first Engadget show as they rip Jobs for not making the necessary improvements to the Touch so that it forces you to keep an iphone for its camera. Weak Apple! The next iPhone best step up to the game. I don't mean its look, I want the OS upgraded. Cut and paste in the last year is not innovation.

Sorry for rambling all - I have issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Now, instead of trying to pick the one that is the "least crappy" we are trying to figure out which incredibly awesome unit is slightly more awesome than the competition.
    Well said. I went from a *Treo 650* to the Pre, and I'm glad I waited because all the advances are that much more amazing. As I drove to a remote area last night with my Pre in the car mount, I had simultaneous streaming music, email and Twitter (just notifications, don't worry!), GPS/navigation, and the ability to receive phone calls using my car's sound system, all while being able to use a very simple gesture system that's ideal for use while driving. Incredible.
    Android still lacks an easy way to switch between open apps (cardview on pre). So it may multi-task you still have to exit back to the home screen and find your next app to open. Pre is much more organic and natural to use.