1.    #1  
    Need some advice from you guys as most will probably have a wife with the same type of phone etc.

I have a Pre but I don't feel the wife can handle the power (too complicated, not rugged enough etc) not to sound sexist or anything but this is just not the phone for her use.

She currently has a Samsung Rant which she loves (she is a big text message person, so big keyboard is great), but we are having static sounds that cut her voice out when she calls me from our house. The same happened with her LG Rumor, but does not happen with my Pre.

So I talked to Sprint CS which was excellent btw, and they want me to go to the store to have them check it out. If bad they will replace, if not I can ask to geta replace sent from CS etc. So either way a new phone (Rant or not I might be able to change if it is just reception with that particular phone in my area proabably as long as its in the same price range)

So in short, is there another phone for this type of user (like the Rant) that is just as good, I looked and couldn't decide or should I wait for the Palm Pixi (which I think she will enjoy and I know about WebOS and backup is better etc) and get her that?

Here are a few must haves:
    -QWERTY keyboard
    -3G (Wifi would be nice, but cant find in these types of phones)
    -Camera
    -Text/MMS
    -GPS
    -Somewhat durable as she is rough on phones and kids get ahold of it...Rumor and Rant are durable enough so something in those lines.
    -Cheaper then a $700 smartphone

They didnt offer an ariave like most got here, but not sure if it will work with the Rant or not. Don't you have to have Wifi access, which the Rant does not have?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
  2.    #2  
    bump
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My advice would be to suck it up until the Pixie ships. Sounds like would be perfect for her.

My wife's in a similar boat...offered her a Pre, she said "OK" then I showed here the Pixie and she definitely wants to tough it out til the Pixie comes out. SO she'll be hanging in there with her 755p til then.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    My wife had the the LG Rumor2 and moved to the Samsung Exclaim.

Has the features you want (Don't think 3G/no WIFI) but has video.

It has the slider keypad and seperate slider for the (larger) keyboard and a bigger screen than her Rumor.

She is digging this phone. I showed her the Pixi and she's not sure if that is what she wants.

For me, I hate that in comes in pink and blue (my wife picked blue), but the phone itself has been great.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I plan to get my wife the Pixi too. My only disappointment with the Pixi for her is the camera (2MP instead of 3MP). The Pre takes great pics and it would be nice if the Pixi could equal what the Pre does in that one area. Not as powerful and no wifi is no big deal.
  6.    #6  
    I thought about geting the Pixi for her too...but she has never had a smartphone so we will see hwo that goes.

She really likes the Rant she has but the reception thing is getting on our nerves...so in comparing just the Rant with the Exclaim which is better or benefits over the other...

I cant judge much as I think they both suck cause i went from a Treo 650 to the Palm Pre and will NEVER go back to a dumbphone again. She does like mine but again she is also still quite happy with hers too.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    She really likes the Rant she has but the reception thing is getting on our nerves...so in comparing just the Rant with the Exclaim which is better or benefits over the other...
    Here is a pretty good review of the Exclaim.

Samsung Exclaim review on cnet