Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    BG is an old school Blackberry fan who is starting to warm up to the iPhone. You have to view the site with that bias in mind. I think BGR is pretty open with the fact that they report the news they care about and with their own spin.

    If you dont like that spin, read engadget.

    As was mentioned above, the Pre got off to a bad start on BGR. They dont shy away from reporting on problems and missing features there, that is why they are a valuable site. The Pre is not polished enough in their opinion. If it is in yours, why should their opinion effect you?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    BG is an old school Blackberry fan who is starting to warm up to the iPhone. You have to view the site with that bias in mind. I think BGR is pretty open with the fact that they report the news they care about and with their own spin.

    If you dont like that spin, read engadget.

    As was mentioned above, the Pre got off to a bad start on BGR. They dont shy away from reporting on problems and missing features there, that is why they are a valuable site. The Pre is not polished enough in their opinion. If it is in yours, why should their opinion effect you?
    the opinion potentially affects pre sale which affect the product in which affect my potential experience
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    BG is an old school Blackberry fan who is starting to warm up to the iPhone. You have to view the site with that bias in mind. I think BGR is pretty open with the fact that they report the news they care about and with their own spin.

    If you dont like that spin, read engadget.

    As was mentioned above, the Pre got off to a bad start on BGR. They dont shy away from reporting on problems and missing features there, that is why they are a valuable site. The Pre is not polished enough in their opinion. If it is in yours, why should their opinion effect you?
    I was going to write some long argument regarding how BGR is so biased.... However, at the end of the day:

    1) I am probably making too much of a big deal out of nothing
    2) BGR can say whatever they want, I'm not their editor
    3) Tomorrow I will probably not care too much about their statements anyway
  4. #24  
    Firstly, anyone who says "I'd take phone A over phone B ONE-HUNDRED-PERCENT hands down!" and in the same article says "Gee, phone A is so slow it's almost not worth it, I wish it was more like phone B" is obviously a person basing their buying decision on glitz and hype over usability and practicality. I honestly think most people have forgotten that these are portable phones we are speaking about here. Portable, reliable, and consistent is what a phone should be primarily. Slow, bloated (2 clocks, 2 weather displays??), and image focused handsets are the make of ambition overwhelming practicality.

    I have looked at my recent purchase of a Palm Pre and the recent announcement of an HTC Hero on Sprint and asked myself if I had made the wrong decision. This article cleanly staples and tacks my answer of 'no way in hell'.

    The Hero is a hype phone, just look at that damn name.
    The Pre is a practical phone, and a snappy, consistent one at that.
  5. #25  
    ^^ what? seriouslly are you kidding me? the pre is (im sorry... was) the biggest hype phone since the first iphone. it caused so many stirups and anxiousness since it was announced that it was mentioned everywhere throughout the net and more on how it will crush the iphone yadda yadda yadda so it will get enough momentum to really take off. unfortunatly with the horrid build quality, neutered sdk, and missing key features that fell flat on its face. Palm relied on hype to kick start the new era but did not have enough horsepower to keep the ball rolling. imo the hero is hype BUT it is less hype than the pre was and more delivery which is what matters most
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  6. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    The reviewer in the BGR article seems a bit confused and conflicted.

    As for his comments about the Pre, he says the Pre is faster but still prefers the Hero. I don't get it.
    I liked Porsches better than Corvettes and Ferraris but the Porsche isn't the fastest....

    The same thing applies here: it isn't just speed it is the form.

    What the Pre truely lacks is compelling hardware to show off WebOS with. Palm will never pull that off now.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  7. #27  
    The fact of the matter is, no one phone is going to work for everyone.

    If it wasn't for one line, I'd say it was a valid comparison of the Pre. I mean, I don't know what his reasons are... don't really care, but he didn't like the Pre, that's fine. He mentions the Pre a total of three times. He thinks that the SenseUI interface does the same thing as the cards interface of the Pre. I disagree entirely, but that's his opinion to have. He says that in his opinion he'd buy it over the Pre in the conclusion. Again, a valid opinion, just not one I share.

    What makes me completely throw out his opinion as objective though is the line "The Pre is cool but borderline useless." As I mentioned, everyone has different needs in a smartphone, and to call it "borderline useless" because it didn't work for him means to me that he's not a good reviewer.

    I feel like a broken record saying this, because I know I've said it a million times, but the Pre and the Hero are both great phones, and you should use whichever one fits your needs best. A reviewer that can't acknowledge that maybe people might have different needs from him, well that's what's borderline useless to me.

    Edit: One thing to keep in mind with the speed comparisons is that the article is a month and a half old and the Hero has apparently received an update that improves speed throughout. Again, something I've said in another thread, technically the Pre has more raw speed than the Hero, but it does seem the Hero with this new update is better optimized for speed than the Pre.
  8. #28  
    When something is innovative, hype comes hand in hand. When something is essentially a dolled up version of something pre-existing, slower, yet still craved more than the faster more reliable phone, it's hype. I'm calling them HypeTC from now on.
  9. #29  
    I'll wait for user reviews in October, and any changes Palm makes up until the Hero's release date.
  10. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The fact of the matter is, no one phone is going to work for everyone.

    If it wasn't for one line, I'd say it was a valid comparison of the Pre. .
    Unfortunately, the valid comparison for the Pre is how it holds up over 2 years. And the prediction is, it won't.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Unfortunately, the valid comparison for the Pre is how it holds up over 2 years. And the prediction is, it won't.
    Does he mention a comparison of build quality versus the Pre at all? No, you're projecting your issues into what his words are.

    Many of us are still on our first Pre with absolutely no issues from day 1. And unfortunately, the lifespan of a phone isn't really 2 years these days anyway. With how fast the refreshes come out, they really become dated after a year. But I have no concerns that my Pre will last as long as I plan on using it.

    I realize that some people have had much worse luck and had multiple defective ones though, as I've mentioned before on other threads. Unfortunately, all devices these days have a number of bad units out of the factory, and while it does suck, Palm's quality control has only been improving.
  12. #32  
    Dudes.. Palm and the Pre has some serious catching up to do. It just where things are at the moment.

    HTC has taken care of the UI lag and has increased the battery life. IMHO, these should be Palms top priorities.
  13. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #33  
    Regardless of what the websites stance is on technology, I simply stopped talking any stock in BGR after they refused to call their "review" of the Pre a "preview", as they didn't review an actual production model phone.

    He claimed "Oh, but this is the *exact* phone that's going to go into production, I super, duper, duper, swear!", and wasn't willing to redact the original article.

    Liking the phone or not is their prerogative.

    But so is not being a ****ty tech journalist.

    Quote Originally Posted by BGR

    So what’s the wrap-up with everything that’s been said? It’s a really tough one. This for me personally was harder than just reviewing another Android handset to cross the desk because I really, really wanted this damn thing. Would I take it over the Palm Pre? One hundred percent yes. The HTC Hero effectively crushed any hopes Palm had at keeping any sort of momentum (at least in my view).
    Oh, and if I were his editor (if he has one) I would encourage him to expand on this rather fragmented thought.
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/08/2009 at 03:38 AM.
  14. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #34  
    Oh, and LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by BGR

    The 3.2-inch 480×320 capacitive multi-touch display used on the Hero (we believe it’s the exact same panel as used on the Magic as well) is fantastic. The touch input is second to only Apple’s capacitive touch screens and as far as the display itself goes, it’s wonderfully bright, vivid, clear, and crisp. One of the reasons I had an issue with the original G1 was the lack of multi-touch. Android’s default browser (to me personally) is a joke. Navigation is more than clunky, it’s the opposite of intuitive, and I’d rather use my BlackBerry browser. Word, son. Thankfully multi-touch is incorporated into other areas of the OS besides just the browser, and this extends the fluidity of HTC’s improvements but as you’ll soon see here, it’s a two-faced coin because as much as it adds, it subtracts.
  15. #35  
    I found a pic of the Hero that really shows off the button area at the bottom of the phone...



  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    I found a pic of the Hero that really shows off the button area at the bottom of the phone...

    The Sprint version doesn't have the chin.
  17. #37  
    The phone has no style. Looks like a PDA. Why haven't we seen more people with other HTC devices? I'm sure it will have it's good points and bad, just like the Pre, but it will never win on design in my book.
  18. wodin's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #38  
    Isn't this the same guy who was whining about the edge of the slider on the Pre being sharp enough to cut cheese, and by extension you fingers? And actually showed a video of him cutting a piece of soft white cheese with it!

    Nuff said!
  19. #39  
    So...we have a review that basically makes me never want to buy a Hero from a guy that doesn't like the Pre..... whatever.

    I'd love to see an Android phone that does everything right.... it would be hard to beat.
  20. #40  
    "What happens then, is you’re forced to stretch your thumb all the way down below the screen itself — below the row of four navigational buttons, in order to hit the back key which is used incredibly frequently since there is no touchscreen equivalent."

    Gesture Area FTW
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions