Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Why not make the flagship phone which they are betting their future on out of metal and glass instead of hollow-feeling plastic?
    For one, cost. Before the price was announced, people were already saying they wouldn't pay more than $200-250 for the phone so they didn't exactly have too much wiggle room. Secondly, the Pre screen is curved, it would've been pricy to get a piece of curved glass for that. Third, metal casing is bad for phone reception.

I realize that you've had some bad luck with it, but unfortunately, it's not more than just bad luck. I'm sure that Palm would love to get the failure rate even lower, but they have made a bunch of improvements from launch day, and unfortunately, it's not possible for every device off the line to be perfect.
    Um Sprint is pretty good so far. 3G spotty where Im from, orange county, reception in my home isnt great but its better than tmobile. Hell, for $70 for everything data while other companies charges $90, i'll take it. As for Hero being a flagship phone for Sprint? I dont think so. Im glad they have great phones to attract customers, great for them. I rather have two great phones than no great phone like verizon. some say bb are nice, but the storm isnt even in the same league as pre/iphone.
    If I had good T-Mobile reception in North Phoenix, I would get the new Nokia N900.

Now THATS a step up from the Pre/Hero/iPhone!
    Quote Originally Posted by psvillars View Post
    True but it seems that palm is trying to follow apple's footsteps remember the iphone had it's complaints also(no video, no copy/paste, no stereo bluetooth)...
    i get your point but i'm of the opinion that in the big picture what iphone did when it debuted is interesting but irrelevant now. Here's why. When the iphone was released it immediately became the number one phone on the market. It was better then anything out there basically. It could afford to lack features because nobody else delivered the total package that they did in terms of music, phone, slick interface etc. etc.

Palm is in a different position. It's entering a market where it's not coming in and being the immediate leader. There are several competing products now with similar features like, copy and paste, video, etc so it can't do like the ipod and say, "we're top dog now so we have a grace period cause there is nothing better." When most consumers make a purchasing decision they are sizing up the two current phones. They don't care what iphones where like two years ago. I don't care about recording video but if that's your thing you're not exactly going to three years for Palm to develop a video recorder cause it took iphones that long. I'm guessing i don't actually know the number of years.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shea0101 View Post
    Is this true??!! I went into Sprint (palm pre's launch day) expecting to buy a corner stone phone( the palm pre) but now i hear the Hero will Sprints franchise phone.!. WtF!!!.. thats the problem with Sprint. They can never stand by a product. Look at At&t they stood by the iphone. Well i wont be giving up on my beautiful Pre.
    Well, the Pre doesn't stand up hardware wise... can you blame them? They took Palms money, smiled, ran with it and then moved on!

Mr. Hesse was never good at picking the winners.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Even if HTC upgrades to the 628mHz Qualcomm CPU from the 528mHz in the GSM Hero, it's still less powerful than the 500mHz Cortex A8. I'm not going to comment on laggyness or optimization or anything like that, but in terms of pure raw speed, the Pre is faster.
    How many instructions a second does the 528->628mHz speed translate to? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Web browsing on the hero still sucks because the CPU is slow. That has always been the deal breaker for me.
    Really? You mean using hardware that is equivalent to year 2000 consumer hardware to browse the internet is inferior? I am just floored that a hand held device isn't any better than computers made in 2000... seriously? It is a deal breaker for you that not 1 hand held smartphone is more powerful than a computer in 2000?
    sprint has the touch pro 2 also =[
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    How many instructions a second does the 528->628mHz speed translate to? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    You're being purposely ignorant here. The Cortex A8 is miles ahead of any ARM chip right now, and the only thing that even comes close to it is the 1GHz Snapdragon. I'm not saying anything about the actual optimization and speed on the Hero because it appears to be much better optimized at the time being than the Pre after the (Hero's) new update, but to make any sort of claim about the Qualcomm chip, even with a clock speed boost, even coming close to the A8 is just ignorant.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're being purposely ignorant here. The Cortex A8 is miles ahead of any ARM chip right now, and the only thing that even comes close to it is the 1GHz Snapdragon. I'm not saying anything about the actual optimization and speed on the Hero because it appears to be much better optimized at the time being than the Pre after the (Hero's) new update, but to make any sort of claim about the Qualcomm chip, even with a clock speed boost, even coming close to the A8 is just ignorant.
    But being ignorant is what Clack is all about. He haunts the forums with some sort of strange pro-Android/anti-Palm agenda which is mostly based on bad information and conjecture, all wrapped up in sloppy logic.
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/08/2009 at 03:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    The hero will have multi touch.
    The Hero HAS multitouch. Thank god the better build quility and teflon coating wearing white one with the chin is already out here in europe. Im done waiting for the pre and even though it has better unified messaging it's not used to the full potential since it has no fb or msn chat in it. Also the multitasking is cool, but **** it im done waiting for this Pre phone. Hero is having an update in the next coming weeks that will fix the issues all the bad reviews were about and thats official

Goodbye Pre, stay in States.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebernal718 View Post
    this link has probably been posted somewhere else in this forum but here it goes:

Palm Pre Edges Android as Developers' Darling - PC World
    That's a very strange article it's actually about the iphone and android and the logic behind it is nonsensical.

How many Pres are there currently in the market? 750,000? 1 million (maybe). Even if the developers prefer the Web OS for developing, there are at least 5 more android phones coming out in the next three months (and I see LG are getting into the party as well), the numbers and scale are completely different, as is the size of the potential market. Android is the 4th mobile OS by default, Web Os is an also-ran as it current stands (which doesn't mean that it's not good but in terms of market share).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a very strange article it's actually about the iphone and android and the logic behind it is nonsensical.

How many Pres are there currently in the market? 750,000? 1 million (maybe). Even if the developers prefer the Web OS for developing, there are at least 5 more android phones coming out in the next three months (and I see LG are getting into the party as well), the numbers and scale are completely different, as is the size of the potential market. Android is the 4th mobile OS by default, Web Os is an also-ran as it current stands (which doesn't mean that it's not good but in terms of market share).
    You're not being patient. Let Palm get on the other carriers first. It's happening relatively quick for a new device/new OS.

I've picked on Palm as well for not having more big name apps (just the free ones) but it'll explode soon enough. It's too easy to develop for as homebrew has shown.

As others point out, Palm's biggest problem is fleshing out the OS (includes core apps) that is tied so well to its hardware which needs upgrading next version. These are short term gripes for most part. But they are relevant to those who just want the best phone now.

If it was all about features and specs, we'd all buy Touch Pro 2's. But those little things get in the way such as usability.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'm not too worried. I think choice is a good thing, Pre works just fine for me and I know it's a new product so I can wait a bit for apps to show up on it. I really do miss voice dial and video recording, but I can live without it for now.

I had an HTC Touch pro before the Pre so I'm already 1,000x better off than I was before (I hate M$) in terms of performance.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You're not being patient. Let Palm get on the other carriers first. It's happening relatively quick for a new device/new OS.

I've picked on Palm as well for not having more big name apps (just the free ones) but it'll explode soon enough. It's too easy to develop for as homebrew has shown.

As others point out, Palm's biggest problem is fleshing out the OS (includes core apps) that is tied so well to its hardware which needs upgrading next version. These are short term gripes for most part. But they are relevant to those who just want the best phone now.

If it was all about features and specs, we'd all buy Touch Pro 2's. But those little things get in the way such as usability.
    I understand that - but that's not really the point I was making. Most developers are small-time so there is an opportunity cost in developing for one platform or the other. So while a developer might *prefer* Web OS, the marketplace has a much lower cap on it - so more money can be made on reaching 1% of the Android marketplace rather than 5% of the Palm Pre marketplace.

On the other hand, because Pre owners are so starved of apps, anyone getting in at the start with paid apps might make more money than someone trying to move into the Android space with its thousands of apps.

We'd both agree that the growth of the app marketplace and the introduction of quality apps (which require more development money) are tied together in some way?

Now you are right that the introduction on other carriers might change this situation but the Pre would still be playing catch-up and the 5th OS (Iphone, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Android*)

* and now of course the new Nokia linux based one - how that will pan out...
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I think if Palm can make the Pre work properly it would destroy hte Hero. Problem is that they have underdelivered.

Give us:

Real SDK
    CPU Scaling(upto 600mhz)
    Video
    Flash
    App Catalog

and the Pre would be awesome. Right now it seems a little half baked.
    A short, quick, and concise summary.

With the hardware that the Pre has, they should blow the hero away.

This is blatantly obvious in two core functions: 1. Calendar 2. Phone.

Arguably some of the absolute, core functions of a mobile device. Both are laggy, and take WAY too much time. Search these forums, hundreds of posts on each. Great, the Pre has better hardware. That is nothing without the software to back it up.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345