Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    OK, so this is the last youtube HERO video I am going to post, but this OS looks killer:
    (apparently some of the OS lags have since been fixed.)
    Web browsing on the hero still sucks because the CPU is slow. That has always been the deal breaker for me.
    I just took a look at a side by side comparison of the HTC and Pre. For one thing, the HTC Hero is **** ugly.. looks like a big rectangle which I wouldn't even attempt to fit in my pocket. Second, it's slow.. makes the Pre looks like a Quad core in comparison. Third it does not have 9000 more apps.. add palm classic apps and palm will have about 20,000 more apps.. which do pretty much everything. Aside from that the HTC has video which won't be an advantage for long, and a better camera. I for one don't care about cameras since no one would take serious photographs with a camera phone. I guess everyone has their own opinion.. but coming from an ipod touch and palm treo and now pre.. I don't think Pre has much to worry about in comparison to this phone.. don't think any woman would like the looks of it.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I think if Palm can make the Pre work properly it would destroy hte Hero. Problem is that they have underdelivered.

Give us:

Real SDK
    CPU Scaling(upto 600mhz)
    Video
    Flash
    App Catalog

and the Pre would be awesome. Right now it seems a little half baked.
    The whole thing looks faster than the Pre to me. My Pre has delays right and left. Anyway my Pre is on ebay right now, so I am back to my blackberry until this HERO comes out, or until PALM produces a more solid phone. Maybe that new 16gig Pre or whatever other handsets they come out with will have better build quality.

Anyway the Sprint Hero is newer hardware and updated SenseUI so it should work fine.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    In order for me to remain with Sprint, I need a device that provides features the Pre does not currently provide and I am sure there are many people in the same position. The Pre does not support Excel and Word documents at this time except through the "Classic" application. Blaming a company attempting to support its users just does not make sense.
    Are you sure you're using the Pre? Because MY phone certainly supports word and excel documents...
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    The whole thing looks faster than the Pre to me. My Pre has delays right and left. Anyway my Pre is on ebay right now, so I am back to my blackberry until this HERO comes out, or until PALM produces a more solid phone. Maybe that new 16gig Pre or whatever other handsets they come out with will have better build quality.

Anyway the Sprint Hero is newer hardware and updated SenseUI so it should work fine.
    The Hero isn't newer hardware. It actually came out before hte Pre. It just took a long time to get to the US. The internal hardware on it is obsolete.
    I have to agree if the pre had everything the hero had I would choose the pre. This phone is ver intuative and the card system is great. Multi tasking can't be touched. It will take time but it can be great. 1000 people working at a company might make things move a little slow though. I like the hero for what it can do and I like the pre for being different.
    Are you telling me that you Pre is more responsive than this? This is the latest ROM on the Hero:

Mine is laggy as hell. Sounds like this 1.2 which was leaked fixes some of these lag issues though...
    I generally do not post in these kind of threads but hers my 2 cents. I am on pre number 7 yes not a typo seven most of my friends ask why because although it has some build isues I love my pre. I can do a lot with it but its a phone it works I hate wm and have played with a couple of crackberry phones. This new os is nothin to worry bout fingers crossed. New phones come out all the time my pre does what I need and now has a real and touch keyboard. Sorry all just me 2 cent oh and posted this from my pre on a back road on a road trip.
    Are you telling me that you Pre is more responsive than this? This is the latest ROM on the Hero:

Mine is laggy as hell. Sounds like this 1.2 which was leaked fixes some of these lag issues though...
    No, he's saying the Pre has more raw power than the Hero, which it does.
    *How do you know what processor/RAM/etc are inside the SPRINT Hero? I haven't seen specs. Point me to a web site?*

(anyway what good is raw power if it does not come through on the other side - via the user experience?) Don't get me wrong, I really like the Pre, but too many issues for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, he's saying the Pre has more raw power than the Hero, which it does.
    power and potential
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    DEAD!.................There is always going to be better and bigger hardware on the horizon. Get what you like the way you guys talk why even buy a new phone if 2 months down the line a new phone comes and yall complain what one does over the other..

Let it go lol..buy the phone you want cause YOU like it. stop being so negative its not the serious just mobile devices..

The hero looks great but if asked personally Im not for an all touch screen device, for me the Pre works and as soon as something else comes out and I like it Ill be upgrading If I want something ill buy it regardless to the 2yr upgrade price.....next
    *How do you know what processor/RAM/etc are inside the SPRINT Hero? I haven't seen specs. Point me to a web site?*

(anyway what good is raw power if it does not come through on the other side - via the user experience?) Don't get me wrong, I really like the Pre, but too many issues for me...
    Even if HTC upgrades to the 628mHz Qualcomm CPU from the 528mHz in the GSM Hero, it's still less powerful than the 500mHz Cortex A8. I'm not going to comment on laggyness or optimization or anything like that, but in terms of pure raw speed, the Pre is faster.
    What?! How dare they have more than one hot smartphone, I hate having choices!
    Saying that the Pre has more "raw" power than the Hero doesn't mean a lot, unfortunately.

The Pre is underclocked, has no CPU scaling, can't use the GPU, and has multiple apps - both official and unofficial - with memory leaks. Couple that with the excessive checkerboarding in the browser (which the Hero/Android browser doesn't have), slow app launch time and the system struggling to render even popups and dropdowns smoothly, and the Pre definitely comes off as slower than the latest Hero ROM.

But the good news is that these are all fixable by Palm. It's just a question of when. But right now...not so much.
    Thing is this.

We can all sit here and list the features. Multitouch, full web with flash, video, audio, apps, voice control, gps, notifications, widgets, synergy, social networking integration, etc.

Iphone has some. Added some missing ones and video the last go around but still has work to do with notifications, multitasking, synergy, etc.

Pre has some nailed such as notifications & multitasking and needs their missing ones.

Same with android..same with WM, same with RIM. Each is on a different path to the same place IMO.

It's a limited set of features. Those crying about apps & video recording won't have that to cry about next year. You'll pick an OS or phone based on what you like best and how the OS handles those features.

Bottom line, Palm (like apple & RIM) designs both the phones and OS. All 3 of these have something over Android in that they can pump out updates and make things more seamless. Yep, the Hero is coming, but its just a consumer version of WM at this point. Even HTC has to doctor it up to make it usable. Other android devices are coming too from other makers..and that's the dealbreaker. Hard to support so many different kinds of hardware and updates are slow. This is important to keep in mind when thinking of jumping ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Bottom line, Palm (like apple & RIM) designs both the phones and OS. All 3 of these have something over Android in that they can pump out updates and make things more seamless. Yep, the Hero is coming, but its just a consumer version of WM at this point. Even HTC has to doctor it up to make it usable. Other android devices are coming too from other makers..and that's the dealbreaker. Hard to support so many different kinds of hardware and updates are slow. This is important to keep in mind when thinking of jumping ship.
    An excellent point, but I think even this is a wash.

Palm's released lots of updates thus far, but they have yet to address many core concerns and requests (e.g. better phone app, video recording, faster calendar, photo app that doesn't process each picture). Meanwhile, homebrewers are hacking functionality far ahead of Palm into the devices for those unwilling to wait.

Android releases far fewer updates (every 6 months), but they seem to be major ones addressing several core concerns at once. Additionally, homebrewers and XDA guys are creating ROMs hacking this functionality into unofficial ROMs far ahead of Google.

Six in one hand, a half dozen in the other. It's best to go with whatever suits you at the moment, since we're geeks who want to switch devices every 12 months anyway.

The only real glue to keep you committed is to build an ecosystem of thousands of apps and unique functionality. The Pre - merely for the moment - doesn't have anything to keep you committed beyond promises of potential. Palm may or may not continue to exist in its current form. It may not take off on other carriers well. Developers may never come onboard in great numbers. These fixes may never come.

But if you're willing to believe, you have no reason to jump ship. My belief has wavered, so I'm considering it. But I am not there yet. Not by a long shot.
    I am personally ok going with the potential, but not ok with the rickety hardware. Not to beat a dead horse but that is really issue #1 for me. On Pre #4 and it feels like its falling apart - squeaky, starting to twist, etc. I am writing this on my BB Tour - and while I am not in love with the BB OS - this phone feels like a brick (in a good way) compared to my Pre. Just saying. Why not make the flagship phone which they are betting their future on out of metal and glass instead of hollow-feeling plastic?
    I live in Germany, here the Hero is already out, and u know what? I NEVER saw that phone, lol, and I study informatics, my friends buy all the new stuff. Here in Germany it's just another phone. I don't understand how that moderate phone could ever compete of what I see from the Pre! U are so lucky to have the Pre and want THAT? aaaarh
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast