Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ... Again? Listen, they're both great phones. Try both out. Get the one that works for you. If one doesn't work for you that doesn't mean it's better or worse, just that it didn't meet your needs.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    From my experience Sprint doesn't have a "flagship" phone they tend to move toward having a lot of variety with great features and you pick the one that's right for you. That being said I don't think the pre is going to be thrown to the side and forgotten, Palm has put too much on WebOS and from what I understand the Pre is just the beginning of the platform and is really the guinea pig for WebOS so as more devices more features will come and the better it will get. Android from what I've read did basically the same thing with the G1 and it seems to have worked so I say give it 6 months and we will really see a boom on both platforms in terms of features and devices. Apple did a good thing with the iphone and that is it got people thinking what can we do to top this and this is beginning of those ideas coming to fruition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    ...I'd say it would be a good idea for Palm to get a move on! Seriously.
    This has been true since January.
    Quote Originally Posted by psvillars View Post
    From my experience Sprint doesn't have a "flagship" phone they tend to move toward having a lot of variety with great features and you pick the one that's right for you. That being said I don't think the pre is going to be thrown to the side and forgotten
    Sprint as i know is only exclusive through December so i could easily see them bailing in terms of commitment right after Xmas. I hope they do not though but i suspect that Sprint will look and say is Palm doing enough to give us confidence that the next two or three quarters will be profitable for Sprint. Yes they keep pushing Pre, No they move on and wait for the next big thing.

Palm has put too much on WebOS and from what I understand the Pre is just the beginning of the platform
    Palm is surely not going to stop with WebOS nor should they. I just think they are slow to act and naive about some important features and aspects of branding and marketing their product. Like those horrible commercials. Also i think Palm in some ways is still selling electronic PDA's with a phone and Apple is selling a total media solution/communication/gaming platform.

Android from what I've read did basically the same thing with the G1 and it seems to have worked so I say give it 6 months
    One difference to consider though is Android is a platform basically given to Motorola, Samsung (i think the worlds largest phone seller in terms of total number), HTC to make phones for. So though they bungled launch they have several other companies making phones. Palm has given webos to nobody and Palm is trying to be like Apple, the only maker of their phone. 6 months from now i'd be pleasantly surprised if there is a WebOS phone in the works made by someone other then Palm. But i'm doubt it will happen. Personally i'd do it just to gain market share. After two years you don't have to renew the contract and you can produce all the phones yourself if you want too.

Apple did a good thing with the iphone and that is it got people thinking what can we do to top this and this is beginning of those ideas coming to fruition.
    The best thing apple did is in my not remotely humble (lol) opinion is a bunch of things.
    1. Focus on simple user friendly interfaces for everything from itunes, ipods, to the store. They make products for the masses. And i don't get the impression that their culture would tolerate releasing anything that is as my dad puts it "half assed."
    2. Slick, relatively hip, if now kinda dorky, marketing. It's quick and to the point.
    3. Desktop management: itunes makes it easy to manager your files and get them to the ipod/iphone.
    4. Ipod: They focused on music, added a great podcast, and audiobook interface, and just put it into a phone w/o ruining it. Nobody has matched their delivery yet. I got three ipods and it won't be my last since non are touch.
    5. The itunes store. Just an slick and easy way to buy apps. And they had the benefit of basically being first and having a massive head start. But that's what leaders do.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'm of the opinion this is a good thing.
    I look forward to a saturated US market, where there is a myriad of smartphone options available on the span of carriers.

I think Sprint's making the right move, and adding to their lineup two of the foremost heavy-hitters in the arena right now.

Have you guys seen HTC's sense UI for android? It looks rad. Have you seen the WebOS functionality? Also rad! Both phones....rad!

Ok, I digress.
    Clearly, no one phone is going to emerge the winner here.
    However through competition comes innovation.

Giddyup.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Sprint as i know is only exclusive through December so i could easily see them bailing in terms of commitment right after Xmas. I hope they do not though but i suspect that Sprint will look and say is Palm doing enough to give us confidence that the next two or three quarters will be profitable for Sprint. Yes they keep pushing Pre, No they move on and wait for the next big thing.

Palm is surely not going to stop with WebOS nor should they. I just think they are slow to act and naive about some important features and aspects of branding and marketing their product. Like those horrible commercials. Also i think Palm in some ways is still selling electronic PDA's with a phone and Apple is selling a total media solution/communication/gaming platform.

One difference to consider though is Android is a platform basically given to Motorola, Samsung (i think the worlds largest phone seller in terms of total number), HTC to make phones for. So though they bungled launch they have several other companies making phones. Palm has given webos to nobody and Palm is trying to be like Apple, the only maker of their phone. 6 months from now i'd be pleasantly surprised if there is a WebOS phone in the works made by someone other then Palm. But i'm doubt it will happen. Personally i'd do it just to gain market share. After two years you don't have to renew the contract and you can produce all the phones yourself if you want too.

The best thing apple did is in my not remotely humble (lol) opinion is a bunch of things.
    1. Focus on simple user friendly interfaces for everything from itunes, ipods, to the store. They make products for the masses. And i don't get the impression that their culture would tolerate releasing anything that is as my dad puts it "half assed."
    2. Slick, relatively hip, if now kinda dorky, marketing. It's quick and to the point.
    3. Desktop management: itunes makes it easy to manager your files and get them to the ipod/iphone.
    4. Ipod: They focused on music, added a great podcast, and audiobook interface, and just put it into a phone w/o ruining it. Nobody has matched their delivery yet. I got three ipods and it won't be my last since non are touch.
    5. The itunes store. Just an slick and easy way to buy apps. And they had the benefit of basically being first and having a massive head start. But that's what leaders do.
    Nicely put.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post

True but it seems that palm is trying to follow apple's footsteps remember the iphone had it's complaints also(no video, no copy/paste, no stereo bluetooth) and then as the suggestions and complaints rolled in they updated it accordingly I believe that Palm did a survey of what people wanted in a phone and being that things like video and copy/paste aren't things that just pop into mind when discussing a phone probably weren't mentioned so therefore didn't make it in to the initial release and now that's it's out we're all wondering why it wasn't implemented in the first place lol. I may be getting off topic a bit here but I'm just trying to point out the similarites between the different phone OS's and that all have had stumbling blocks out of the gate but have since started showing their true potential. And yes the palm commercials suck out loud with amplification lol is that liquid paper white girl the only person they could get to sell this phone? lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Y ru mad there are many things that hero does that pre can't do (yet) but w.e hu cares I love my pre and I think our pre's are the ***** no matter wut sprint says....they just say that so ppl can buy it

wait what can the hero do that palm pre cant?
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Apple was far from being first. Palm essentially created teh PIM device that fits in your hand and your pocket. Microsoft and RIM invented the smartphone(MS with the touchscreen, RIM without). From a technical point of view, there is nothing the iphone does that a MS pocketPC OS 2002 couldn't do. They had PIM, the ability to install apps, wifi, play msuic and so on. Of course, 7 years later, the iPhone now has far superior hardware but the basic functionality was already there a long time ago.

The modern internet/multimedia device was invented by Nokia with the N770 and later the N800/810. It had multimedia capabilities, a full web browser, social networking, camera, and yes, an "App Store". Of course, the concept of an app store was invented two decades ago for Linux, and Nokia, Apple and Palm have just created different implementations of it(with Nokia just doing a direct port of apt, the same software that jailbreakers use to run Cydia on iphones).

Apple did not innovate very much. It just polished what was already there and added some nice marketing to it. Nokia missed the boat by a mile by not adding phone capabilities to their tablets in the first place.
    In order for me to remain with Sprint, I need a device that provides features the Pre does not currently provide and I am sure there are many people in the same position. The Pre does not support Excel and Word documents at this time except through the "Classic" application. Blaming a company attempting to support its users just does not make sense.

As for as build, I purchased on 9-3 the Touch Pro 2 and received it on the 4th here in Honolulu, Hi. The device is solid and well built. No slow ups and no resets. It handles the work environment and the need to have multiple applications open at the same time. The device has a much more solid feel than the Pre.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    For one thing, it has 9804 more apps available for it than the Pre.

It also gives devs access to the accelerometer and video card. The CPU, while slow, can scale and runs at the native clock speed. The battery can last for several days. It has superior Google Apps such as GMail and Maps. It can record video and 5mp pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    Anything involving a compass (e.g. augmented reality)
    Shazam
    Video recording
    Widgets
    Flash
    Visual VoiceMail
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    The battery can last for several days.
    Almost forgot...1500 MaH battery, too.
    If the Pre couldn't bring the large amount of new suscribers that Sprint wanted then the Hero never will. I have been Sprint user since 201 and love it, but it seems apparent Sprint seems to be the weak link for Palm lately.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Why are you people so afraid of a new phone?

I mean really, do you also get mad when GM comes out with a new model car??
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If the Pre couldn't bring the large amount of new suscribers that Sprint wanted then the Hero never will. I have bee Sprint user since 201 and love it, but it seems apparent Sprint seems to be the weak link for Palm lately.
    I'm not exactly a Sprint fanboy, and I can name a number of smaller things Sprint should've done differently at launch (e.g. Announcing the release date and price in a low-key press release after months of buildup, keeping the mail-in rebate, Sprint rep giving out misinformation about how and when you could purchase it, Premier program/parties debacle), but Palm made way more errors than Sprint did.

In fact, Sprint got their stuff together belatedly. Palm is still making major mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    In order for me to remain with Sprint, I need a device that provides features the Pre does not currently provide and I am sure there are many people in the same position. The Pre does not support Excel and Word documents at this time except through the "Classic" application. Blaming a company attempting to support its users just does not make sense.

As for as build, I purchased on 9-3 the Touch Pro 2 and received it on the 4th here in Honolulu, Hi. The device is solid and well built. No slow ups and no resets. It handles the work environment and the need to have multiple applications open at the same time. The device has a much more solid feel than the Pre.
    TP2 running 6.1 is garbage who are you trna fool.

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    So it seems Sprint is unhappy with Palms ability to get an SDK out on time.

It is nice to hear someone at a wireless provider call "openness" a good thing. I think the reason why Nokia never built a phone into their Maemo devices was because they were always afraid of the providers crippling it.
    OK, so this is the last youtube HERO video I am going to post, but this OS looks killer:
    (apparently some of the OS lags have since been fixed.)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast