Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Android: 10,000 apps!
    Android Market Now Over 10,000 Applications Strong

Does anyone here know approx how many apps are being developed for the Pre? And when we can expect them to be released?

With the Hero hitting Sprint in a few weeks, I'd say it would be a good idea for Palm to get a move on! Seriously.
    I'll ask you this, how old is the Android as compared to the Pre. I think once the app store gets out of beta, and developers can get paid for their work, the app store will take off. All in good time...it's coming.
    awrnsmn, I know it's coming - but when the Pre is sitting next to the hero next month and it's got 10,000 apps, larger screen, etc., I think the Pre is going to become a hard sell. It seems to already be struggling in terms of sales, no? Sitting next to the Hero on the Sprint shelf is going to do the Pre no good, IMO.
    The only actual cornerstone phone Sprint has right now is the Instinct brand if you think about it.

The Pre will go to other carriers and so will the Hero, but you never hear of the Instinct exclusive deal ending or anything like that.

I hate the instinct by the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    the best sprint phone is the palm pre. Now the device is not foe everyone but is damn good. The hero is a nice device as well with tons of apps however, not multi touch and I will not go to it at all.

By the way as a Sprint advanced tech employee I'm just putting my 2 cents and this is completely my opinion.
    The hero will have multi touch, visual voicemail, and pandora and a 5mp camera with video. I like the pre too, but I am sorry to say but I think the hero is going to crush it. People are comparing the mytouch to the hero and that is not a good comparison.

Palm better step it up because HTC makes good phones and are the leaders in the industry. Sprint has to support them because a lot of their higher end phones are made by them. Even the treo pro was made by them.

***I am not hating guys***. I like webos and how fluid it works. I returned the pre's I bought but I got one with a bad esn from a friend that I play with. I will have both the pre and the hero when it comes out and will tinker with both. Who knows Webos might blow up and turn out to be terrific once the app catalog comes out of Beta.
    I"ll probably have both the Pre and the Hero for a while too. I just hope the new Palm hand sets coming out are SOLID. (not flimsy) One thing that's very nice about that other smart phone (AHEM) is that it feels like an expensive phone (metal, glass...) The new Palm stuff coming out should FEEL expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Here's what I'm afraid of;

The loss of developers. Palm has put some major roadblocks with the pre that have really upset a lot of hardcore dev's. No low level access, no access to the GPU and Accelerometer... list goes on.. Now that being said, I'm not worried about developers in General, I'm more worried about the core group that is with Sprint. Which is a lot! Yes there will be a lot more on other carriers, but I hope that developers that have Sprint Devices don't jump ship to the Hero due to the set backs Palm has implemented.

Android is really growing and they are starting to consolidate a lot of its core OS. Its starting to become a really well rounded OS. I hope that Palm can really drop a good, solid, update.

They really need to hit this out of the ball park by October.
    this guy does not keep up with the news does he?????
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    AT&T didn't exactly "stick by" the iPhone. They clung to it for dear life, and got lucky enough that it bolstered their fortunes considerably. If the Pre did the same for Sprint, you might see a similar response. But as things stand, they've gotta keep pulling down all-stars for their smartphone lineup. The Pre is nowhere near enough to sustain Sprint's higher end smartphone stable.
    +1
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Android: 10,000 apps!
    Android Market Now Over 10,000 Applications Strong

Does anyone here know approx how many apps are being developed for the Pre? And when we can expect them to be released?

With the Hero hitting Sprint in a few weeks, I'd say it would be a good idea for Palm to get a move on! Seriously.
    I would feel confident in saying, once the app store is taken out of beta, and developers can get paid for their work, it will take off like you know what!!
    HTC is known for their poor build quality and you don't have to take my word for it, just head on over to PPC Geeks to read all about it. The Hero has had poor reviews in it's GSM version. I think it will be a good phone, but no better than the Pre. Sprint needs the variety to keep their customers from jumping ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I would feel confident in saying, once the app store is taken out of beta, and developers can get paid for their work, it will take off like you know what!!
    Well, the SDK really needs to get out of beta before that's going to happen. As long as Android and iPhone can tout stuff like Shazam, augmented reality apps, and fun, disposable crap like the T-Pain autotune app, and Pre is incapable of it...Palm's app store is going to be a cut below the competition.

Actually, they really need to add a compass into the next generation of WebOS hardware, too. It was a bad design decision to leave it out of the devices of the hundreds of thousands who currently make up the WebOS base. But nonetheless, Palm should really play catchup in this area ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    HTC is known for their poor build quality and you don't have to take my word for it...
    Surely you jest.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    HTC is known for their poor build quality and you don't have to take my word for it, just head on over to PPC Geeks to read all about it. The Hero has had poor reviews in it's GSM version. I think it will be a good phone, but no better than the Pre. Sprint needs the variety to keep their customers from jumping ship.
    Compared to what? The "stellar" build quality of the Pre? With dead pixels, light leak, Oreo slider effect, loose batteries, over-heating, easy to crack screens, easy to break USB port etc, etc, etc.
    All I have heard about HTC is that the hardware is solid. (and that Hero has gotten RAVE reviews as far as I have seen.) I used to own a HTC phone and it had none of the QC issues the Pre has.

To give you some idea of a review of the hero, watch these videos:
    http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...12&Page=2#p2s2
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 09/07/2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Seriously tho...I work for Sprint and I had the Touch Pro for a 10 months, as well as my husband did too, and I went thru 10 touch pros and he went thru 5. My point is that HTC did clearly not work out the problems with their phones and thats why the Pro was finally taken off the shelf in the store. Sure its available online but thats it. My keyboards kept coming disconnected, my screens would glitch and not just once or twice 15 phones between my hubby and I. And working in the store people came in all the time with the same issues. I supported the phone and still said it was one of the best, and I was holding out for the Touch Pro 2 but finally last month said forget the Pro Im getting the Pre. I love my Pre =] and and Pro 2 has already had alot of issues as well as the Hero and it hasnt even "truly" been released yet.
    Regarding build quality I would say the touch pro was the best example of poor build but all the other phones I have had from htc have been solid.

now regarding the gsm model of the hero, we can't compare that to the sprint model because it's a whole different design. Who knows it might be that teflon coating on the gsm hero causing bad signal or maybe the jay leno chin. maybe sprint saw the problems and thought a redesign was at hand... who knows. Lets all wait and see what happens.

I don't want to talk up the hero because I haven't used it but I based my thoughts on the specs and the specs alone. Who knows it might not be that great. I have high hopes for it though. I have used android and it is a great platform in my eyes. The pre does things a lot nicer and smooth though
    Lets just hope the "hero" turns out to be a true hero and not a whimp.
    1+^ I want sprint to suceed because i don't care for all the other providers especially at&T
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how many Pres Sprint has sold so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrypars View Post
    Does anyone know how many Pres Sprint has sold so far?
    they haven't released that information yet but experts say around half a million if not more
    This video shows how universal the search is on in the Andriod OS: HTC Hero / T-Mobile G2 Touch smartphone review (page 3)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast