Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyeatworld View Post
    okaaaaaaay let's not get too crazy. I'm not looking to talk down apple users--keep in mind I am one!

I was really trying to target the people who heavily criticize the pre, especially when compared to the iphone. The weird thing is the animosity behind them all, so let's not sink to their level. I think the iPhone and AT&T are heavily over-priced, especially in the economy; but they couldn't give a ****. They are greedy. If you haven't realized by now, they invest a ton of money into marketing. IMO, some iPhone users have bought into it to the point where they have acquired some sort of entitlement. I think Sprint is just a little more in tune with people in general. I have a pre in my palm, a smile on my face, but no nose in the air
    Yeah I'm sure Palm and Sprint don't care about taking your money, they are all for the good of the consumer, some of you are so deluded it ain't even funny.
  2.    #22  
    My point exactly.

I thanked you for that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Yeah I'm sure Palm and Sprint don't care about taking your money, they are all for the good of the consumer, some of you are so deluded it ain't even funny.
    Lol. I love how every Sprint v ATT discussion devolves into a "but they're both evil greedy corporate giants!" shouting match. The reality is: yes, they are corporations in a more or less oligopolistic market. Yes, they charge more than marginal cost for their output and make money.

However, Sprint is a better value proposition for the customer than ATT. CNet's test suggested that 3G upload/download speeds are about equivalent between the networks but that Sprint had much better reliability. Yet Sprint plans are far less expensive ($69.99 Everything Data is about equivalent to a $100 iPhone plan when you factor in the texting). Plus Sprint Navigation and NFL Mobile Live add a good deal of value (yes, not for everyone. But for many)

In my case, I put $25 into a credit union, got a 25% discount on Sprint, called for Pick 3, and now get service for $52.99 which would have cost me over $100 on ATT. So from a consumer's point of view, they're actually not identical. Clearly their objective function is to maximize profit, yes. No, we're not talking about morality (I leave followers of the JesusPhone to do that). But for the customer, it's just a better value.
  4.    #24  
    No, this isn't a shouting match. And yes, I understand how a business makes money. I am not knocking anyone for making money, but they still should be held accountable and at some point, lines should be drawn. But at the end of the day, a business is a business is a business, as a jerkoff is a jerkoff is a jerkoff (cough, adjei, cough). However, I certainly do appreciate your objective breakdown as to why you believe the pre is more valuable!

This was just an iPhone user giving his two cents why he switched to the palm pre, in case there were any others out there who were thinking about switching and whether they'd be getting a better deal and all of that; the reviews out there are **** and will face-**** you into thinking that paying $60/month more is WORTH IT WITH THE IPHONE.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I have a 3GS and Pre for work purposes, and the battery life on both is terrible compared to my personal 1st-gen iPhone (and it only costs me $60/month with a fairly good plan, which is the 2nd reason I like it).

I don't think my use of the 3GS/Pre is typical (development and testing, with a lot of tethered use and extended bouts of untethered test time) but my informal observation is that the 3GS does last a few hours longer than the Pre in similar untethered usage. But what bothers me is that I have had several cases where the Pre was drained down for no apparent reason and was unusable.

BTW, give the Pre some time and report back your observations. My initial good impressions of the Pre faded quite a bit after some time.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I agree that people complain too much, but at least wit hteh way I type, it was really bad. I literally had red marks on my wrists after typing for a few minutes. This was with the 13" white plastic model, but I believe the new aluminum pros have the same design.

Here is the quote recommending wrist bands:

Macbook Sharp edges - MacNN Forums
    Yeah, it's the old plastic MacBooks that had this issue. I actually took a file to the edges of my wife's MacBook to round the edges over (the sharp edges didn't bother her, but annoyed the heck out of me). The new "unibody" aluminum models have a smooth edge.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post
    Lol. I love how every Sprint v ATT discussion devolves into a "but they're both evil greedy corporate giants!" shouting match. The reality is: yes, they are corporations in a more or less oligopolistic market. Yes, they charge more than marginal cost for their output and make money.

However, Sprint is a better value proposition for the customer than ATT. CNet's test suggested that 3G upload/download speeds are about equivalent between the networks but that Sprint had much better reliability. Yet Sprint plans are far less expensive ($69.99 Everything Data is about equivalent to a $100 iPhone plan when you factor in the texting). Plus Sprint Navigation and NFL Mobile Live add a good deal of value (yes, not for everyone. But for many)

In my case, I put $25 into a credit union, got a 25% discount on Sprint, called for Pick 3, and now get service for $52.99 which would have cost me over $100 on ATT. So from a consumer's point of view, they're actually not identical. Clearly their objective function is to maximize profit, yes. No, we're not talking about morality (I leave followers of the JesusPhone to do that). But for the customer, it's just a better value.
    Again this is not always the case. If Sprint is such a better value like everyone makes them out to be, why are customers leaving them in droves and they are losing millions each quarter.
    Agreed! Valid points galore in your post!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Again this is not always the case. If Sprint is such a better value like everyone makes them out to be, why are customers leaving them in droves and they are losing millions each quarter.
    Maybe they don't realize that AT&T and Verizon ads about network quality are all bull****?
    Ive NEVER seen better all around plans then Sprint!! I have 4LINES with EVERYTHING, we share 1500 minutes a month (which we never come close in the age of texting and everything else), unlimited nights and weekends(nights start at 7), unlimited text and pic mail, unlimited internet, Basically ALL 4 phones have EVERYTHING (but share 1500 minutes) and I pay about $150 a month!! Id like to see any other company match that!! I highly doubt it. My ex gf has verizon with 2 phones and pays about the same as me and has unlimited text and pic mail but no internet or anything else!
    Switched from iphone to pre as well. Like the you i am an avid mac user. And i think the pre is is just awesome. After using the pre and using the iphone you get the feeling of outdated on the iphone. I am so used to gestures to navigate around on the iphone is buttons. And people forget that the iphone did not get any native apps till a year after. A YEAR AFTER!! at least the pre have 40 apps within a month of being released.

The only going for the iphone is the brand & the app store.
    Other then that the pre tops it hands down.

What I like the most about my switch to sprint. Is the bill drop.
    I am paying 63.15 for unlimited texts web navigation etc.

ATT i was paying 110.67. Unfortunately I still pay my wife's bill and that one laone is 150.56. ATT IS A RIP OFF. And I don't think the iphone is really worth that much capital out of anybody's personal economy.
    Because their selection of phone suck ***. Also their customer service (although better now) has always sucked *** as well!

There is no way in hell any att user is getting a better deal than a Sprint customer as far as billing goes.

Yeah but I have rollover! Thats just you overpaying for mins not used. I have a friend who has 10,000 rollover mins and hes bragging about it! If you have 10,000 unused mins then you've over payed!

That is like saying I got back 2,500.00 dollars on my taxes. No! you overpayed 200.00 per month in taxes because the government needs your money more than you.

Its all perception and Att is better at convincing people they are smarter than their customers than Sprint is.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    dont you go bad mouthing sprint phones. They have the Pre, the Hero, the InstincQ(rumored), the TouchPro2 and the Tour.

They have the best phones of every major smartphone platform, as well as cool featurephones like the Reclaim.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Because their selection of phone suck ***. Also their customer service (although better now) has always sucked *** as well!

There is no way in hell any att user is getting a better deal than a Sprint customer as far as billing goes.

Yeah but I have rollover! Thats just you overpaying for mins not used. I have a friend who has 10,000 rollover mins and hes bragging about it! If you have 10,000 unused mins then you've over payed!

That is like saying I got back 2,500.00 dollars on my taxes. No! you overpayed 200.00 per month in taxes because the government needs your money more than you.

Its all perception and Att is better at convincing people they are smarter than their customers than Sprint is.
    Right and I guess AT&T has as abudance of quality phones, apart from iphone what else do they have. Stop making excuses for people leaving Sprint by the millions, there must a reason for this and their phones sucking is not one of them.
    Right and I guess AT&T has as abudance of quality phones, apart from iphone what else do they have. Stop making excuses for people leaving Sprint by the millions, there must a reason for this and their phones sucking is not one of them.
    Ok know it all! I still have'nt seen you post why!
    I don't know what everyone else thinks but I have a friend that has the iphone and then he saw the pre and he was impressed but not willing to trade his iphone for it. I got one and you know "modify" a few things like free phone as modem, a new theme, on screen keyboard, ad more pages to launcher, etc. and now he will be canceling ATT and going to Sprint.

The PRE is just not for just anyone.

I remember that was on a sprint flier.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    And people forget that the iphone did not get any native apps till a year after. A YEAR AFTER!! at least the pre have 40 apps within a month of being released.
    I hate it when people make this comparison, because you're essentially saying that the Pre is better than the 2007 iPhone. Big-whup -- that's not putting Palm in an entirely favorable light. Furthermore, if you want to compare to outdated Apple technology, Apple had a few thousand apps available a month after the 2008 iPhone was released, which is like saying the Pre is lagging behind the 2008 iPhone. So it's better than the 2007 iPhone but behind the 2008 iPhone with regards to apps.

Let's stop comparing Palm to Apple-past and judge the platform against its market and peers in 2009. For Palm to succeed, they have to do it on their own merits here in 2009.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I hate it when people make this comparison, because you're essentially saying that the Pre is better than the 2007 iPhone. Big-whup -- that's not putting Palm in an entirely favorable light. Furthermore, if you want to compare to outdated Apple technology, Apple had a few thousand apps available a month after the 2008 iPhone was released, which is like saying the Pre is lagging behind the 2008 iPhone. So it's better than the 2007 iPhone but behind the 2008 iPhone with regards to apps.

Let's stop comparing Palm to Apple-past and judge the platform against its market and peers in 2009. For Palm to succeed, they have to do it on their own merits here in 2009.
    Don't mind them, people forgot that Apple had web apps for months while they were busy preparing the iphone SDK for release in March of 08. People rejected the web apps and said they want the native apps. To this day those web apps are still available for the iphone. People should stop with this tired arguement.
    I guess it really depends where you live, but in the SF Bay Area, you can't beat Sprint. I pay 94/month for 2 lines with 1500 minutes, unlimited texting and data and GPS and TV and Radio. The fact that I have yet to drop a single call in my 3 months of having Sprint, is quite impressive.

About why Sprint is losing customers by the millions, I would have to think is because they have a non-optimal plan. I'll give you an example. I work for a 3rd-Party dealer of Sprint and I had a lady walk in that looked quite irate. She said she wanted to cancel her Sprint service. I went and asked her why and she handed me the bill and it was 196 bucks for 3 lines! She said he could get a better deal from our competitors until I tweaked her plan. She just needed some minutes and unlimited texting for all of them and Direct Connect on one line. So, okay, I gave her a 99.99 Everything Messaging Plan with the 10 dollar Direct Connect Add-on and her complany qualified her for a 20% discount and I dropped her bill from 196 to about 95 bucks a month! She decided to upgrade all of her phones and she stayed with Sprint.

I personally switched from ATT to Sprint because as the OP said, "There is no app for huge ATT bills.", which to be honest, wouldn't of bothered me so much if I got the quality of service I expected but ATT was slow for me, unreliable(dropped a call at least once a day) and I just felt ripped off at the end of the day. Now this is just my experience, many people have their own opinions and I totally respect that(it's a free market economy, and we people as consumers have the right to choose which company we want based on personal preferences and etc.) but in the end, Sprint is hard to beat with its value in wireless plans along with fast data speeds and consistent reliability.
  20.    #40  
    Thank you for those who have agreed with me. And You as well Adjei, for continually proving my point that people who hate on the pre tend to be ASSHOLES for NO good reason. I do understand you feel threatened And please, next time you post, use references to back up your statistics because I think you're pulling them out of your poo hole. Your arguments are whiny at best. I speak from actual experience, and have tried both ends of the spectrum.

I felt cheated with AT&T, and now that I own a pre, I realize that I was being cheated. I am simply attacking some of the "cons" I have read about when being compared to the iPhone that I feel are unfair judgements, and am calling out the elitists (or rather, those who think they are) who hate on it because they need to have the coolest and best and flashiest electronic. They're just crybabies, jealous of the new kid in school.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast