1.    #1  
    Having just bought my Clie I have some questions, some trivial, that I was hoping some more knowledgable Clie owners could answer.

1) In another thread someone mentioned a site which details the steps someone took to dust-proof their Clie. Is this a real/major problem? If so would using a case help? This leads into my next question.

2) Cases and styli. What cases and styli are available for the 760? The only ones I have seen either use velcro, which I want to avoid, or are from Vaja, which at this time is just to costly. Any ideas on other non-velcro cases out there. With styli I have gotten used to using a thin stylus, I have a PDA Panache for the Deluxe, but I think that the extra weight of the Panache really makes a difference. So what are my options with styli?

3) Websites. I looked at the other thread that mentioned the two Yahoo! groups, but I was wondering if there there were any sites out there like VisorCentral. A site that has Clie specific reviews, product listings, etc.

Thanks for helping a new Clie user get some answers.

Visigoth
    Congratulations on your new CLIE. I absolutely love mine.

1. I have had no problem with dust under the screen. I use a Brando Screen Protector and keep it in an Alpina Case almost all the time. I certainly would not go through the process of sealing the display because it voids your warranty.

2. I use the included stylus as it is fine with me. I am sure there are several options available. As for cases, I use the Alpina. It is the kind that clips on your belt, but that is the kind I like. You might also take a look at EBCases and the DSI hard case. I am considering ordering it because I like the metal case for times when a belt case is not appropriate.

Alpina Case

DS International

3. To my knowledge, there is not another site like this one. The two YahooGroups are the best for CLIE Specific discussion. In addition, they have a FILES Section for available downloads. You can also visit PalmBlvd as they have several discussion boards for CLIE's.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by visigoth
    Having just bought my Clie I have some questions, some trivial, that I was hoping some more knowledgable Clie owners could answer.

1) In another thread someone mentioned a site which details the steps someone took to dust-proof their Clie. Is this a real/major problem? If so would using a case help? This leads into my next question.
    The dust problem in the Clies are not bad at all, I had a single spec of dust on my clie that you couldn't even notice unless you looked for it. I imagine on the new 760's it would be even a less of a problem. You could go through that procedure, but it's tricky and voids your warranty, I wouldn't.
    2) Cases and styli. What cases and styli are available for the 760? The only ones I have seen either use velcro, which I want to avoid, or are from Vaja, which at this time is just to costly. Any ideas on other non-velcro cases out there. With styli I have gotten used to using a thin stylus, I have a PDA Panache for the Deluxe, but I think that the extra weight of the Panache really makes a difference. So what are my options with styli?
    There are a number of cases for the clie now. E&B makes a very nice case for the Clie, cost about $40, which is not bad. As for styli, there aren't too many out there, though the Pentopia Chalemeon ones are nice. You'll have to look, I can't help you too much.

3) Websites. I looked at the other thread that mentioned the two Yahoo! groups, but I was wondering if there there were any sites out there like VisorCentral. A site that has Clie specific reviews, product listings, etc.
    Yea, the Yahoo! ones are the best for clie users. There is no "VisorCentral" type site for the clie. Join the Yahoo groups, and talk to us here and you'll be fine!

I hope this helps!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Just got my EB case (www.ebcases.com) and I love it - I was able to peel off the velcro from the Clie case without damaging the back of my device
    I have found some very good information re: the CLIE on www.pdabuzz.com inside the CLIE section.

I really like my 760c. I actually had a 320 for a few days but really wanted color. I could not be happier except for the rumors of the 600...

http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/CLIE/index_pc.html

I have found a few accessories on Japanese sites that look really cool.

GPS
    Camera
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the information.

That Alpina case looks to be a good match for what I want and it's reasonably priced, though I may have to take a look at that hard case as well. Amazing that I never found it with all the Google searches I did.

Soon to be lurking on Yahoo! Anyone know a easy way to set up AvantGo to pull the messages from those groups? It would be nice to read them at work since they restrict web access to Yahoo!

Visigoth
    waynorth wrote:
    What is this?
    Using Altavista's translation, this adapter is for a "Communication Card." From what I can tell from the poor translation (computerized translation always has bad grammer this is an adapter for a card that works with a portable phone or as a modem??? Looks like you can use it as a modem with speeds up to 64kbps. Also, it seems it might work with CF cards, microdrive, and a LAN card.

That's about all I could devine out of the poor translation. Man! I felt like I was looking for hanging or indented chads

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  9.    #9  
    Have a couple of other questions; this time concerning the OS. The first, with the default launcher some of the icons have this symbol (o in their graphic. Is this put there by the OS or is it actually part of the icon? If it is the OS what does it mean??

Second, when setting the time/date there is the Daylight Savings field. I could not find any documentation from Sony as to how this works. Logically it would be that when it is "Yes" it would automatically switch the time for daylight savings. But with computers logic and common sense sometimes isn't right...

Thanks again,

Visigoth
    The little dot on the icons basically means it is CLIE software on the ROM. Meaning, you can't delete it because it's essential software and stored on ROM. I've never found a way to explore the ROM to delete worthless stuff like the calculator, expense, etc. I dunno about the time...always seems fine for me...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    The O on some of the icons indicates that they have jogdial support.

The adjust for DST box basically just adjusts the time by an hour. It does not do this automatically at the appropriate date. IOW, when DST begins, you have to go in there and check that box and when it ends you need to manually uncheck that box. That is pitiful DST support IMO.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    This is the adaptor for data communication between a Clie and a PHS phone. Basically, you plug this in, and you can use the Clie to surf the web. Too bad it's only for PHS phones.