Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62
  1.    #1  
    I just exchanged my new Palm Pre for a good ol' Palm Treo, which is what I had before. I'm probably not as technically literate as most of you other users, which explains why I didn't like being the beta site for a product that needs to catch up to its hype. It's missing too many useful options available on the old Treo. To wit: no ability to sync with Windows Outlook on my computer, except through a complicated third-party option; no ability to beam contact and calendar info between phones (and I don't mean email); no "find" feature to sort among all the data I keep in my phone/database; no world clock which this frequent traveler likes; and a mess of a transfer from my computer Outlooks contacts list. In short, the original Palm concept of a personal data assistant (PDA) seems to have completely disappeared. I hope the Palm Pre people are reading these posts, because I just offered some suggestions that would help those of us in the business world who need to maintain our database more than we need game apps. I had looked forward to getting the Pre. I was greatly disappointed!
  2. #2  
    Thats too bad. I just had my gmail receive my outlook emails and let my palm sync with gmail. I don't even use outlook anymore. I did a one time transfer of my outlook contacts and imported them into gmail, same with calender. Now outlook is no longer necessary. My pre just gets gmail and my main emails and notifies me everytime one comes in. I love it. I came from a treo 700p. I hated web browsing on the treo.. sucked big time... plus the emails looked bad on it. I'm patient when it comes to missing features though.. as far as i'm concerned, the missing features are merely inconvenient and will be addressed shortly anyways. It's too bad you didn't like the Pre but everyone has their opinions. Did you try the classic app?
  3. #3  
    Nice first post. Thanks for stopping by.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4. #4  
    I never understood why someone would bother making their first post be their "good bye" post. It just does not compute.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  5. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Nice first post. Thanks for stopping by.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I never understood why someone would bother making their first post be their "good bye" post. It just does not compute.
    +1, a pure waste of resources. I call it ignorance. You go through all the efforts to register an account just to say that Pre is no good, LOL.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I never understood why someone would bother making their first post be their "good bye" post. It just does not compute.
    Agreed. If you want attention for dropping the Pre, that's fine, I guess. Just be willing to have some actual conversation instead of hitting and running with nonsense like this.
  7. #7  
    Either just another company ***** and their odd attempts at consumer espionage or perhaps he hasn't heard of the Classic app?
  8. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Nice first post. Thanks for stopping by.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I never understood why someone would bother making their first post be their "good bye" post. It just does not compute.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    +1


    +1, a pure waste of resources. I call it ignorance. You go through all the efforts to register an account just to say that Pre is no good, LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Agreed. If you want attention for dropping the Pre, that's fine, I guess. Just be willing to have some actual conversation instead of hitting and running with nonsense like this.
    Indeed. To the OP: Thanks so much for your ample contributions to this forum.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  9. #9  
    And then he was gone, just as we were all starting to grow dependent upon his sage counsel and readiness to aid his fellow users.
  10. Faculak99's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #10  
    You guys are dead wrong about that post. He didn't bash the Pre, he simply pointed out the expectations that were missing from a marketed Palm product. When you buy or are loyal to a certain product you begin to expect certain things. I have yet to purchase my Pre as I am tinkering with one every day after work. I want to know what I can and cannot live with. I am very interested in the Pre despite these productive comments. If you don't voice your opinion, you will fail to have the connection necessary to communicate and promote change.

    Don't bash someone who makes a very valid point. Palm has left part of the PDA history behind to become more of a multi media device. I hope he is as happy with his Treo as we will be with the Pre.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Agreed. If you want attention for dropping the Pre, that's fine, I guess. Just be willing to have some actual conversation instead of hitting and running with nonsense like this.
    I agree that joining just to say you are going back to the Treo is a bit fishy. I wouldn't call the complaints nonsense though. They were valid objections.
  12. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #12  
    "I traded my brand new acura for an 89 corolla"

    Good job!
  13. geodosch's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #13  
    I went through a bit of culture shock when I first got my Pre. I'd started with a Handspring Visor Edge back in 2001, and had a Treo 650, and most recently a 755p, so the Palm PIM apps were practically in my DNA.

    My first surprise was when I tried to upload my contacts to the BT in my car. Then I found out that there were no repeating tasks, and I ran into some of the glitches in the calendar. I picked it up on a Thursday, and by Friday night I was sure it was going back to the store.

    But after spending the weekend with it, I came to love all the things the Pre does well, and came up with workarounds for the most serious issues (even if that meant manually entering my most important contacts into my car's hands-free system.)

    It sounds like the OP has already given-up, though I don't know if they're still reading this thread. Give it some time, and give it a chance. Your points are valid, but Palm is at work fixing/improving things. In fact, when I did an update a few days after I got it, I was happy to see they had fixed a bug in the Task list-- that it would always revert to 'All' tasks each time you opened a list, showing all the completed tasks. And I'm confident that many of the other issues will be addressed in the coming weeks and months.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mooney View Post
    I just exchanged my new Palm Pre for a good ol' Palm Treo, which is what I had before. I'm probably not as technically literate as most of you other users, which explains why I didn't like being the beta site for a product that needs to catch up to its hype. It's missing too many useful options available on the old Treo. To wit: no ability to sync with Windows Outlook on my computer, except through a complicated third-party option; no ability to beam contact and calendar info between phones (and I don't mean email); no "find" feature to sort among all the data I keep in my phone/database; no world clock which this frequent traveler likes; and a mess of a transfer from my computer Outlooks contacts list. In short, the original Palm concept of a personal data assistant (PDA) seems to have completely disappeared. I hope the Palm Pre people are reading these posts, because I just offered some suggestions that would help those of us in the business world who need to maintain our database more than we need game apps. I had looked forward to getting the Pre. I was greatly disappointed!
    have fun living in 1997...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by geodosch View Post
    I went through a bit of culture shock when I first got my Pre. I'd started with a Handspring Visor Edge back in 2001, and had a Treo 650, and most recently a 755p, so the Palm PIM apps were practically in my DNA.

    My first surprise was when I tried to upload my contacts to the BT in my car. Then I found out that there were no repeating tasks, and I ran into some of the glitches in the calendar. I picked it up on a Thursday, and by Friday night I was sure it was going back to the store.

    But after spending the weekend with it, I came to love all the things the Pre does well, and came up with workarounds for the most serious issues (even if that meant manually entering my most important contacts into my car's hands-free system.)

    It sounds like the OP has already given-up, though I don't know if they're still reading this thread. Give it some time, and give it a chance. Your points are valid, but Palm is at work fixing/improving things. In fact, when I did an update a few days after I got it, I was happy to see they had fixed a bug in the Task list-- that it would always revert to 'All' tasks each time you opened a list, showing all the completed tasks. And I'm confident that many of the other issues will be addressed in the coming weeks and months.
    I dont know what this says about my life, but half the fun of owning the PRE is watching these forums and getting the updates and "new phone" smell everyother day. I can do more with my Pre each and every day, and although it does mean that I have lost some functionality over my Centro or the Pro i had for the time being, I dont think I could ever go back!! And I know that they will be working dilligently (homebrew and Palm) to restore those lost functions and to put more in!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mooney View Post
    I just exchanged my new Palm Pre...
    Take care!

    - Craig
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I agree that joining just to say you are going back to the Treo is a bit fishy. I wouldn't call the complaints nonsense though. They were valid objections.
    It could help someone else from going through the hassle of getting a Pre, trying to convert all the data, finding it doesn't work as a PIM, then returning the Pre. And that is the point of these forums - to give tips to others.

    Read the post on the front page about using the Pre as a business tool and you'll see why the Pre is awful for business users who use their phone as a business tool rather than just mobile e-mail and web.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    although it does mean that I have lost some functionality over my Centro or the Pro i had for the time being, I dont think I could ever go back!! And I know that they will be working dilligently (homebrew and Palm) to restore those lost functions and to put more in!
    Waiting is not an option when those features are needed NOW and are already available on PalmOS, Blackberry, or other phones, even if it isn't as pretty. IF those features do manifest themselves on the phone, THEN one could consider purchasing it.
    Last edited by RenardRouge; 09/04/2009 at 09:43 PM.
  18. #18  
    If that is what works best for the OP...then so be it. I hope he/she sold it, because trading it in for an old Treo is far from an equal trade! Sprint owes you $175!!
  19. #19  
    wow another one post wonder!!
  20. Gompers's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mooney View Post
    I just exchanged my new Palm Pre for a good ol' Palm Treo, which is what I had before. I'm probably not as technically literate as most of you other users, which explains why I didn't like being the beta site for a product that needs to catch up to its hype. It's missing too many useful options available on the old Treo. To wit: no ability to sync with Windows Outlook on my computer, except through a complicated third-party option; no ability to beam contact and calendar info between phones (and I don't mean email); no "find" feature to sort among all the data I keep in my phone/database; no world clock which this frequent traveler likes; and a mess of a transfer from my computer Outlooks contacts list. In short, the original Palm concept of a personal data assistant (PDA) seems to have completely disappeared. I hope the Palm Pre people are reading these posts, because I just offered some suggestions that would help those of us in the business world who need to maintain our database more than we need game apps. I had looked forward to getting the Pre. I was greatly disappointed!
    This isn't a PDA. It's a smart phone/cloud device.

    It also happens to do some of the same functions of a PDA.

    The concept of the Pre is that the database lives in the cloud, not on your computer, and the Pre just accesses it. It works great once you adapt to that concept.

    I hope that Palm never makes the concessions it would have to to enable the phone to again become a canonical version of an offline database.

    If you want to do what you have always done better than you did with a Treo, get a Treo Pro, or another WinMo or BBerry device. Maybe the Pre will get to what you want it to do. Maybe not. I don't think it's a big deal anyway.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions