Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. geodosch's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why give the Pre a chance if it doesn't do what you want it to do. If/When Palm does fix the issues that you have with it, you can buy it then. Thanks for bringing to my attention the Pre's inability to sync with my car's BT system. That's a "they must fix this before I buy a Pre" issue for me.
    Your statement makes it sound as if the Pre has one single function, and it either does that or does not do it. There are many, many things the Pre does, and the vast majority of those things it does as well or better than my Treo did. There are some significant gaps, but I'm betting that Palm will fix them soon, so I'm willing to deal with those issues in the meanwhile, so that I can take advantage of the good features.

    There seems to be a perception from many that you must either love the Pre_ without even a hint of the thought that there's anything to improve upon, or else you're a heretic that should be chastized for sharing your views. No middle ground. Though what's amusing is that the most popular threads seem to be the ones about how to hack the Pre to enable hidden features, or endless chatter about the next release. So I guess everyone wants more features, fixes and improvements... your just forbidden from mentioning that they're needed.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The upload to the car's system is part of 1.2
    FWIW, my Pre syncs beautifully with my Garmin Nuvi 760. In general, I believe the BT functionality in most cars is a bit behind other BT-enabled devices like GPS receiver, due to the fact that the features of those devices are updated more frequently.
    Last edited by sethpcs; 09/06/2009 at 01:09 AM.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by sethpcs View Post
    FWIW, I my Pre syncs beautifully with my Garmin Nuvi 760. In general, I believe the BT functionality in most cars is a bit behind other BT-enabled devices like GPS receiver, due to the fact that the features of those devices are updated more frequently.
    The issue involved isn't syncing, but uploading the contacts. Some of the new car systems allow your phone to upload its contact list to the car.
  4. geodosch's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by sethpcs View Post
    FWIW, I my Pre syncs beautifully with my Garmin Nuvi 760. In general, I believe the BT functionality in most cars is a bit behind other BT-enabled devices like GPS receiver, due to the fact that the features of those devices are updated more frequently.
    My Pre syncs great with my car's BT. my Treo did too, though not without trouble. What the Pre won't do (yet) is upload contacts to my car, because it lacks OBEX capability. I'm very happy to hear that will work in v1.2
  5. #45  
    OP don't worry about what people say on these forums. Especially the ones that say they "love" such and such device. I had the same concerns you did when I first bought my pre which is why I tried the classic app. After a few days I realized what is the point of running classic when the pre should already have those functions. Having a pre is a change in the way a smartphone should be used. Pre is all about syncing info via cloud instead of the tried and true formula desktop app sync. I am still on the fence about trading my pre for a treo pro. However with details of a new update fast approaching the pre is getting a bit more interesting. Especially sending contacts via sms, true cut/paste, and a vast improvement to the web browser. Camcorder and Flash should be arriving soon as well as docs2go.

    It still makes me scratch my head that those basic features werent included at launch. Palm should have released the pre this month instead of trying to beat the iphone to the punch. Now its like their playing catchup and are rushing to get things out.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Purchasing a device without first determining that it has all of the important deal breaking features is impulsive. If you rely on any device, you need to know before making a switch. The Pre is not for everyone, and it is missing some things some will find impossible to live without...but most would spend a bit of time on these very same forums asking questions before purchasing....
    This person is posting to the forum for that exact reason - so that someone else can read about her experience and learn from it.

    Also, how many people saw "Oh, Palm has a new phone? I love my Palm because it is a great calendar" and bought it based only on their experience with Palm products.

    Also, what if the iPhone was a LOUSY iPod. People who bought it were counting on having an iPod with a phone built in. If Apple loused up the iPod part of it, then you certainly would have a bunch of customers upset that Apple made a mess of things.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    This person is posting to the forum for that exact reason - so that someone else can read about her experience and learn from it.

    Also, how many people saw "Oh, Palm has a new phone? I love my Palm because it is a great calendar" and bought it based only on their experience with Palm products.

    Also, what if the iPhone was a LOUSY iPod. People who bought it were counting on having an iPod with a phone built in. If Apple loused up the iPod part of it, then you certainly would have a bunch of customers upset that Apple made a mess of things.
    While forums may serve as a guide, the majority of people complaining here came here after they had a problem. And many of these same people are impulsive buyers who assume the 'next best thing' will magically have everything they need. They also assume because it's a Palm product, it will automatically have all the features their current product has. IMO, there is little excuse for that flawed line of reasoning. And besides, reading someone's opinion on a forum, while helpful, is not a substitute for having the product in hand. Especially a product you'll be living with and depending on for most of the day.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  8. geodosch's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    While forums may serve as a guide, the majority of people complaining here came here after they had a problem. And many of these same people are impulsive buyers who assume the 'next best thing' will magically have everything they need. They also assume because it's a Palm product, it will automatically have all the features their current product has. IMO, there is little excuse for that flawed line of reasoning. And besides, reading someone's opinion on a forum, while helpful, is not a substitute for having the product in hand. Especially a product you'll be living with and depending on for most of the day.
    So you're complaining that people only come to the forum after their purchase, and you call that 'impulsive'. But then you go on to say that reading the forum is no substitute for having the product in hand. So I'm really confused as to what you think the proper course of action should be.

    I did a lot of online research on the Pre. Then I went to a store to see one first-hand. I did not intend to make a purchase then, and I was already aware of some (though certainly not all) of its shortcomings. But when I was told I had 30 days to return it and switch back to my Treo, I decided to go for it, so I could spend time seeing exactly what it was like. It wasn't until I ran into specific issues and googled them that I found the specific posts regarding them (What? You bought a product without reading the whole Internet first?!)

    As far as expectations, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to buy the latest and greatest product from a compay, and expect it to be at least as good as their previous model. In fact, it's exactly that expectation that results in brand loyalty.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by geodosch View Post
    So you're complaining that people only come to the forum after their purchase, and you call that 'impulsive'. But then you go on to say that reading the forum is no substitute for having the product in hand. So I'm really confused as to what you think the proper course of action should be.
    ?? Read my post again. Maybe slower this time.

    I did a lot of online research on the Pre. Then I went to a store to see one first-hand. I did not intend to make a purchase then, and I was already aware of some (though certainly not all) of its shortcomings. But when I was told I had 30 days to return it and switch back to my Treo, I decided to go for it, so I could spend time seeing exactly what it was like. It wasn't until I ran into specific issues and googled them that I found the specific posts regarding them (What? You bought a product without reading the whole Internet first?!)
    Ok so you ran into some issues, presumably during the 30 days, and you still stuck with the Pre? So now I'm totally confused. What's your beef again?


    As far as expectations, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to buy the latest and greatest product from a compay, and expect it to be at least as good as their previous model. In fact, it's exactly that expectation that results in brand loyalty.
    Um, for many the Pre is just fine for their needs. And the Pre is aimed at a different market than the Treo. It's not sold as an upgrade from the Treo. The Treo Pro is. Why would Palm continue to make the Treo and Centro lines if the Pre did everything they did and in the same manner? What business would want one product line cannibalizing the other? It would make little sense. If I wanted the features found in a Treo on my Pre, I'd opt for the Treo Pro.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  10. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #50  
    Will a Moderator close this thread?
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Why would Palm continue to make the Treo and Centro lines if the Pre did everything they did and in the same manner?
    The Treo Pro is a successor in the Windows Mobile line of Treos (700w -> 800w -> Treo Pro), not the PalmOS line. It was assumed by many that the Pre would be the successor to PalmOS (650 -> 700p -> 755p/Centro -> Pre)
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    The Treo Pro is a successor in the Windows Mobile line of Treos (700w -> 800w -> Treo Pro), not the PalmOS line. It was assumed by many that the Pre would be the successor to PalmOS (650 -> 700p -> 755p/Centro -> Pre)
    Well the Pre is certainly a new direction for Palm. While the Treo (both flavors) aimed for the business user more than anything else, the Pre is aimed at a broader market, like the iphone. They have to if they want to survive. Blackberry has the business market and Iphone has almost everyone else (and is slowly getting into the corporate world). This leaves Palm in a weird position, they have to evolve. I don't see WebOS as a successor to PalmOS. To me, they wiped the slate clean and started over. It's a new way of thinking, doing things.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    The Treo Pro is a successor in the Windows Mobile line of Treos (700w -> 800w -> Treo Pro), not the PalmOS line. It was assumed by many that the Pre would be the successor to PalmOS (650 -> 700p -> 755p/Centro -> Pre)
    I don't understand why anyone would have assumed that. The product announcement clearly said it would be a new OS from the ground up, and just about everything having to do with the phone since then centered around that.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The issue involved isn't syncing, but uploading the contacts. Some of the new car systems allow your phone to upload its contact list to the car.
    Uploading contacts is what I meant when I used the term "syncing", versus "pairing", which is the process of establishing a BT connection between two devices. The first time I paired my Garmin Nuvi 760 with my Pre, I received a message on my Pre, asking me if I would like to allow my Nuvi 760 to have access to the Pre Contacts database. Once I allowed that access, ALL of my contacts were uploaded to my Nuvi. From that point on, the upload of contacts happens automagically every time.

    What's even better, each contact's name is shown as a single entry, versus showing each of that contact's numbers separately. This was the case with my Centro, and it was annoying. Once you select a contact's name, you are then able to see a full list of all available numbers for that contact. You even see little icons for home, work, mobile, etc.)

    This has been the case since I got my Pre on launch day. So, it would appear that the contact upload functionality is indeed in place (at least for certain devices), and has been since Web OS v1.0.1.
    Last edited by sethpcs; 09/06/2009 at 01:55 AM.
  15. FlameOut's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I never understood why someone would bother making their first post be their "good bye" post. It just does not compute.
    I was wondering the same thing. Become a member to leave 1 post, and most likely not return. It's been a couple days since that post and still showing as only 1 post

    You would think anyone buying a 'new' product would be expecting some bugs. I know I was
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Wow are you folks insecure!
    You choose to be deliberately closed minded whenever a critic posts their views. Pretty poor showing.

    The poster made very valid points. It doesn't matter if he or she has 1 post or 85,000 damned posts to their name... if their points are valid, they are VALID. period. It would be wise of the company to sit up and take notice or else YOU and the rest of the fanboys will once again sit around
    your circle jerk sessions wondering why the pre was never as successful as the blackberry or the iphone or a competing windows device.

    If you folks were SO SECURE that this toy of yours was impervious to faults, shortcomings and criticism of any kind, you wouldn't feel the need to go attacking or labeling an opposing viewpoint in any derogatory way as you're doing. Why would you have to bother with them?

    By the way, your type of attitude is EXACTLY how palm fell by the wayside in the smartphone space. Palm was smug and closeminded in that they had done all they needed, no further innovation was necessary and all critics were simply dismissed as "POWER USERS" who don't represent the "average user" and how they use the device. So what happened?

    They stubbornly defended those views and subsequently watched their "perfect smartphone" become virtually irrelevant compared to competing devices.
    Monumentally stupid.

    In YOUR case, you simply dismiss someone with valid critiques as either "PLANTS, TROLLS" or the like.

    Some of you clearly don't know how to deal with constructive criticism and as a result respond with this immature retaliation and name calling.
    troll.
  17. #57  
    Your ALL Beta testers!!

    DEAL WITH IT!!!!

    (Just so it all works properly when they release the GSM version! LOL)

    From the UK
  18. geodosch's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    So you're complaining that people only come to the forum after their purchase, and you call that 'impulsive'. But then you go on to say that reading the forum is no substitute for having the product in hand. So I'm really confused as to what you think the proper course of action should be.
    ?? Read my post again. Maybe slower this time.
    I said I didn't understand your point, and asked for a clarification. If you can't explain your own post, just say so.

    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    Will a Moderator close this thread?
    There are a thousand other threads you could br reading, but for some reasoan you're reading this one. Do you feel that threatened by even the existence of this thread? You want to call the Stasi and put a stop to it!

    Maybe this should be prefanboys.net. Sheesh!
  19. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #59  
    Can understand what topic starter says. As a long time Treo user you expect a new flashy device to handle the little boring tasks as well.

    Im still waiting for the GSM-version and I must say that even though the wait seems long and painful its not all bad. It probably gives Palm a chance to develop the software a bit further so that feels even more like a finished product.

    Shall be interesting to see if the Pixie/Eos really exists, I suspect its aimed more towards business than the Pre.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  20. #60  
    If the objective of the post was to warn the treo users what to expect, it would have been more useful posted at a treo forum as oppose to a pre forum. Good to know the phone did not work out for you.
    Last edited by iamfrontosa; 09/06/2009 at 09:14 AM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions