Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Isn't this an open forum for the Pre. If just said that she was going back to the treo because she hated the Pre ...that would be useless but still entitled to be posted. She made some valid points that someone might find useful if the were in the market for the Pre....if you don't like what someone posts stop thread bashing and ignore it ...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    This isn't a PDA. It's a smart phone/cloud device.

It also happens to do some of the same functions of a PDA.
    I'm not sure just what you think a PDA is, but the Pre is one, among other things.

The concept of the Pre is that the database lives in the cloud, not on your computer, and the Pre just accesses it. It works great once you adapt to that concept.
    Uh, sorry, but wrong. The Pre's data resides on the device. If you don't believe me, switch on 'Airplane mode', which disables all the radios, and see if you can still access your information. It backs itself up to the cloud, so your data also resides there, and it allows mail services such as GMail to push updates to it, but it is still a self-contained Db.

I hope that Palm never makes the concessions it would have to to enable the phone to again become a canonical version of an offline database.
    What concessions would be required to beef-up the existing functionality? Would fixing the calendar so that appointments always appear on the correct day somehow take away from this new concept? Does adding recurring tasks to the existing task application in some way diminish the over product?

If you want to do what you have always done better than you did with a Treo, get a Treo Pro, or another WinMo or BBerry device. Maybe the Pre will get to what you want it to do. Maybe not. I don't think it's a big deal anyway.
    It will be a big deal to Palm. Do you think Apple, Blackberry, et al, are going to just go "shucks, too bad we didn't think of that!" They're going to incorporate the Pre's concepts into their future devices. So if Palm just says "There's the Pre. It's pretty cool. Don't expect it to do everything you want", then the Pre may become a footnote in history, as the device that never really took-off, but did spur better products by its competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    It could help someone else from going through the hassle of getting a Pre, trying to convert all the data, finding it doesn't work as a PIM, then returning the Pre. And that is the point of these forums - to give tips to others.

Read the post on the front page about using the Pre as a business tool and you'll see why the Pre is awful for business users who use their phone as a business tool rather than just mobile e-mail and web.

Waiting is not an option when those features are needed NOW and are already available on PalmOS, Blackberry, or other phones, even if it isn't as pretty. IF those features do manifest themselves on the phone, THEN one could consider purchasing it.
    Purchasing a device without first determining that it has all of the important deal breaking features is impulsive. If you rely on any device, you need to know before making a switch. The Pre is not for everyone, and it is missing some things some will find impossible to live without...but most would spend a bit of time on these very same forums asking questions before purchasing....

Purchasing and then complaining about what you've got is kinda lame IMHO. As a salesman i understand the whole buyers remorse thing... However, No attack on Miss Mooney, simply stating that her only "contribution" was to complain.

Oh look, there are more replies to her "Goodbye" than her asking questions about the pres capabilities....also just as an exciting note, looks like they have found LED Notifications in 1.2. YAY!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mooney View Post
    I just exchanged my new Palm Pre for a good ol' Palm Treo, which is what I had before. I'm probably not as technically literate as most of you other users, which explains why I didn't like being the beta site for a product that needs to catch up to its hype. It's missing too many useful options available on the old Treo. To wit: no ability to sync with Windows Outlook on my computer, except through a complicated third-party option; no ability to beam contact and calendar info between phones (and I don't mean email); no "find" feature to sort among all the data I keep in my phone/database; no world clock which this frequent traveler likes; and a mess of a transfer from my computer Outlooks contacts list. In short, the original Palm concept of a personal data assistant (PDA) seems to have completely disappeared. I hope the Palm Pre people are reading these posts, because I just offered some suggestions that would help those of us in the business world who need to maintain our database more than we need game apps. I had looked forward to getting the Pre. I was greatly disappointed!
    Neither the lack of those features, nor the lack of your ability to research the features of a device before you buy, makes it a "beta product".

Thanks for your contribution (no plural), I'm sure it will be recived with all the value and care with which it was given...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I never understood why someone would bother making their first post be their "good bye" post. It just does not compute.
    Just noticed you changed your avitar. I take it that's a stab at the otherPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Don't bash someone who makes a very valid point. Palm has left part of the PDA history behind to become more of a multi media device. I hope he is as happy with his Treo as we will be with the Pre.
    Sorry, it wasn't a "valid point". The point of the OP (as he/she stated) was that it was a beta product, thus was going back for the real product that it should have been.
    That's a false presumption. The Pre is not a beta product. The Pre is the device. WebOS is the OS that runs on it. The Pre itself has remained virtually unchanged. The OS is going through revisions, and that's to be expected. But calling it a beta product is erroneous, and reflects either that person's lack of understanding of the terminology, or their desire to bash the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I agree that joining just to say you are going back to the Treo is a bit fishy. I wouldn't call the complaints nonsense though. They were valid objections.
    I don't think the person was calling the complaints nonsense, but rather the post. To state that the product is beta, then listing a series of personal complaints to back up the assertion, some of which were disappoinment in the way it was designed to work, and others which were disappoinment over features he/she wanted, does make the post "nonsense". They don't support the argument that the Pre is a beta product.
    The OP is the typical type that hates to adapt and embrace new concepts. Assuming any of that post was sincere, at least she moved on rather than stay and whine.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    This isn't a PDA. It's a smart phone/cloud device.
    I hope that Palm never makes the concessions it would have to to enable the phone to again become a canonical version of an offline database.
    Very well put.
    What some people seem not to realize is that if Palm puts those features into the the Pre, they are obligated to support them. Even if it's at the cost of future plans they have for the device. If they let third parties support the old features, then when new are introduced, they don't have to worry about the folks that cry "Hey, that neatnew doesn't work with xyz that I got for my Pre!!"

The new paradigm should not be constrained by the old.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Purchasing a device without first determining that it has all of the important deal breaking features is impulsive. If you rely on any device, you need to know before making a switch. The Pre is not for everyone, and it is missing some things some will find impossible to live without...but most would spend a bit of time on these very same forums asking questions before purchasing....

Purchasing and then complaining about what you've got is kinda lame IMHO. As a salesman i understand the whole buyers remorse thing... However, No attack on Miss Mooney, simply stating that her only "contribution" was to complain.

Oh look, there are more replies to her "Goodbye" than her asking questions about the pres capabilities....also just as an exciting note, looks like they have found LED Notifications in 1.2. YAY!

Are you serious? How many users that have been into smartphones/Treo’s do you think were NOT at least going to have to (as in, this is a must try) give the Pre a test run? Maybe 2? To test run a brand new hot device is not compulsive to me. I cannot imagine how many people tested the Pre and returned it with the idea of waiting until it was completely ready for prime time.

If Palm gets it done in time and developers get behind it, the Pre is going to be the best device in my opinion. MUST HAVE DEVELOPER SUPPORT THOUGH. A device with limited apps is going to suffer real badly.

Just my 2 cents…..

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    You guys are dead wrong about that post. He didn't bash the Pre, he simply pointed out the expectations that were missing from a marketed Palm product. When you buy or are loyal to a certain product you begin to expect certain things.
    This is a very good point. It's a bit like going into a Starbucks and finding they only serve dunkin doughnuts cappuccinos with the whipped cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Just noticed you changed your avitar. I take it that's a stab at the otherPhone?
    oh you noticed No not really, I've got me a kinda Zombie Fetish thing, that is the Head Explosion from the original Dawn of the Dead...Done with a real shotgun off camera and a fake head full of gore! I wanted it to match my messaging avatar and my Word Ace avatar However, that's how I felt using the Treo Pro while on vacation this past spring....

Quote Originally Posted by geodosch View Post
    My first surprise was when I tried to upload my contacts to the BT in my car. Then I found out that there were no repeating tasks, and I ran into some of the glitches in the calendar. I picked it up on a Thursday, and by Friday night I was sure it was going back to the store.

But after spending the weekend with it, I came to love all the things the Pre does well, and came up with workarounds for the most serious issues (even if that meant manually entering my most important contacts into my car's hands-free system.)

It sounds like the OP has already given-up, though I don't know if they're still reading this thread. Give it some time, and give it a chance. Your points are valid, but Palm is at work fixing/improving things.
    Why give the Pre a chance if it doesn't do what you want it to do. If/When Palm does fix the issues that you have with it, you can buy it then. Thanks for bringing to my attention the Pre's inability to sync with my car's BT system. That's a "they must fix this before I buy a Pre" issue for me.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    It's hard to let go of the Pre huh. I feel your pain buddy. On second thought I really don't because I still have my Pre and am lovin it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Nice first post. Thanks for stopping by.
    Wow are you folks insecure!
    You choose to be deliberately closed minded whenever a critic posts their views. Pretty poor showing.

The poster made very valid points. It doesn't matter if he or she has 1 post or 85,000 damned posts to their name... if their points are valid, they are VALID. period. It would be wise of the company to sit up and take notice or else YOU and the rest of the fanboys will once again sit around
    your circle jerk sessions wondering why the pre was never as successful as the blackberry or the iphone or a competing windows device.

If you folks were SO SECURE that this toy of yours was impervious to faults, shortcomings and criticism of any kind, you wouldn't feel the need to go attacking or labeling an opposing viewpoint in any derogatory way as you're doing. Why would you have to bother with them?

By the way, your type of attitude is EXACTLY how palm fell by the wayside in the smartphone space. Palm was smug and closeminded in that they had done all they needed, no further innovation was necessary and all critics were simply dismissed as "POWER USERS" who don't represent the "average user" and how they use the device. So what happened?

They stubbornly defended those views and subsequently watched their "perfect smartphone" become virtually irrelevant compared to competing devices.
    Monumentally stupid.

In YOUR case, you simply dismiss someone with valid critiques as either "PLANTS, TROLLS" or the like.

Some of you clearly don't know how to deal with constructive criticism and as a result respond with this immature retaliation and name calling.
    oh you noticed No not really, I've got me a kinda Zombie Fetish thing, that is the Head Explosion from the original Dawn of the Dead...Done with a real shotgun off camera and a fake head full of gore! I wanted it to match my messaging avatar and my Word Ace avatar However, that's how I felt using the Treo Pro while on vacation this past spring....
    Actually, I thought the guy was holding a phone to his head, and thought it was in reference to a certain otherPhone that had recent problems with exploding.

Might be a fun photoshop thing to do ...
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    In YOUR case, you simply dismiss someone with valid critiques as either "PLANTS, TROLLS" or the like.

Some of you clearly don't know how to deal with constructive criticism and as a result respond with this immature retaliation and name calling.
    I thought the OP started off with an immature comment that he/she was a "beta site" for testing the Pre. That pretty much invalidated the rest of the post for me - the "single post" was just icing on the cake.

If the OP had stated that he/she bought the phone, and these were things they found lacking, that would be different. The "beta" nonsense just makes it another rant, especially when associated with the single post, and the fact that most of the things mentioned were pretty well known before the Pre came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, I thought the guy was holding a phone to his head, and thought it was in reference to a certain otherPhone that had recent problems with exploding.

Might be a fun photoshop thing to do ...
    Ah HA! Didn't even think about that But if there was a picture of it exploding, be sure apple has bought the rights and buried the photographer!

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    bye...don't let the door hit you on the va9ina on your way out. (lol, not really pertinent to this thread but I wanted to post it anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why give the Pre a chance if it doesn't do what you want it to do. If/When Palm does fix the issues that you have with it, you can buy it then. Thanks for bringing to my attention the Pre's inability to sync with my car's BT system. That's a "they must fix this before I buy a Pre" issue for me.
    The upload to the car's system is part of 1.2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast