Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maemo 5 or Webos?
    Life is all about choice, its just that sometimes I get to much choice and I get confused!
    Two new Os's which appear similar.
    Two new devices.
    I would like to ask all you Palm Pre users and others just looking how you think these devices compare because I can't decide which one to go for. G
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I haven't seen any reviews yet of the N900. I just made a post about them here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/ot...nux-phone.html It would be hard to judge at this point. They look nice.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm not going to lie... just looked up the n900 after reading your post... it looks f'n amazing

HOw can you tell it's amazing from just that???? They could make the Razor look amazing too, dude.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    HOw can you tell it's amazing from just that???? They could make the Razor look amazing too, dude.
    Hey, it's all sparkly and sh...stuff, well worth $750!!!!

Ya think they'll find any phone company willing to subsidize THAT?

They didn't even bother trying to find an American company for the N97. They're blowing their positioning in the U.S. and from what I've read about their latest smart phones review-wise ...not so good.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    seems that maemo 5 does quite a bit more with same processor and is much more mature OS(since 2005, they just finally tacked on phone) than WebOS. It is not as revolutionary in its interface as WebOS is, but to me, at least, it seems quite a bit more powerful. There are things INTEGRATED on this phone that Pre/Iphone are trying to break their necks for, namely VOIP. Sprint folks might also want to check out this vid that nokia has recently produced touting the possibilities of using a gsm based service

I know americans like to be enslaved to a phone for 2 years though
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Hey, it's all sparkly and sh...stuff, well worth $750!!!!

Ya think they'll find any phone company willing to subsidize THAT?
    Isn't the pre like $599 unsubsidized? not really a huge difference, or can you even have a Pre without a two year enslavement?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    n900 superlatives

32gb (plus microsd slot)
    5 MP camera
    battery life
    screen 800x480!
    multi-desktop
    integrated voip
    video recording
    mature OS with apps already(usually easy port from OS2008)
    unlocked default purchase option(although slaves tend not to see it that way)
    flash 9.4(10 is an update away)

Pre superlatives

revolutionary OS platform
    synergy?
    multitouch
    ???
    Last edited by quipper8; 09/01/2009 at 08:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    and for you linux folks out there, on the n900, just open xterm and type sudo gainroot and then do whatever you want to. No ROM hacking or plug-unplug or flashing or other hoops to jump through
    Although I obviously don't have experience with the n900... it's worth noting that Nokia has failed to create any touch screen device that hasn't hugely disappointed and sucked to the point of being unusable.

Having said that, most of the usability problems were due to symbian, which this apparently doesn't use. But it's worth noting Nokia's track record in regards to touch screen devices.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    here are several videos straight from nokia

Nokia N900 first videos and hands-on | Nokia Conversations
    The one problem with the n900, is if it follows in the footsteps of its predecessors, it might be a little more oriented towards the hardcore user.

Maybe they fixed that with the newest software version though.
    I see this comparison thread in the way of mobile portability.

I can have Pre in my pocket. Nokia doesnīt fit in it.

Nokia is too big it is an Internet tablet smartphone 800x480

It is a good device , but I will have to get an special jacket or an special case.
    It is almost like a mini mini netbook.
    After watching a couple of the Youtube videos I too have to admit that the N900 does look awfully sweet. Quite a bit better than the Pre (Better memory, better camera, video, bigger key keyboard, VOIP, bigger screen, flash, full web browsing with a cursor arrow, probably better battery life, volume and the ability to modify notifications!) But I paid $200 for my Pre. I know I wouldn't pay $750 for the Nokia. I'd seriously consider it and be a 2 year slave if a US provider subsidized the cost of it to $200-$300. Palm's WebOS revolutionized the US Smartphone, but they've been exxxxtrremely slow with worth while updates. I don't think they really plan on too many, given what all they'd have to do. We'll have to rely more on 3rd parties like Homebrew for apps that can "correct" the Pre's deficiencies. But for what I use my Pre for (phone, music, schedule, web browsing and email), I'm happy with it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I see this comparison thread in the way of mobile portability.

I can have Pre in my pocket. Nokia doesnīt fit in it.

Nokia is too big it is an Internet tablet smartphone 800x480

It is a good device , but I will have to get an special jacket or an special case.
    It is almost like a mini mini netbook.
    110.9 x 59.8 x 18 mm n900
    100.5 x 59.5 x 16.95 mm Pre

You should stop wearing such tight pants if you pocket only has 10mm of tolerance for a larger device
    Quote Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
    110.9 x 59.8 x 18 mm n900
    100.5 x 59.5 x 16.95 mm Pre

You should stop wearing such tight pants if you pocket only has 10mm of tolerance for a larger device
    Right, a little ticker 2,95 m.m and 10,4 m.m larger, Uhm , to think about it But the price ???
    Last edited by akitayo; 09/02/2009 at 06:58 PM.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Looks neat, but the "spin your finger around on the screen to zoom in/out" gesture would drive me ****ing insane.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
    Isn't the pre like $599 unsubsidized? not really a huge difference, or can you even have a Pre without a two year enslavement?
    No, actually you can buy it now on Amazon for $499. And apparently I was wrong about the price on the Nokia N900...IT'S MORE! Plus carriers are learning a costly mistake from AT&T as AT&T has found that their massive subsidies for the iPhone have drastically eaten away at their profit margins.

From an article I posted in another thread after this one what consumers will pay:

How much do consumers care about monthly data fees versus the cost of a device in general, considering that the initial price doesnít take into consideration the total cost of ownership over two years?

MG: It seems that itís not that big an issue to consumers. Itís almost as if they expect the 2-year contract and monthly plan as table stakes. Itís fairly difficult to compare plans apples to apples, so consumers usually either pick their carrier or pick their device and then pick the plan that they can afford best to go with that. But itís a message that some companies like Palm are trying to underscore. If you buy the Pre, over the cost of 2 years youíre going to save quite a bit of money if you go with a different device. That message isnít resonating to consumers, at least not yet.

...Having said that, even at $170, thereís no way that the phone like the iPhone, or the Pre, or the G1, or the Touch Pro 2, could be sold unless thereís carrier subsidies involved. So anyone who says that carrier subsidies are going by the wayside any time in the near future is just wrong. Weíre at the upper limits of what consumers are willing to pay for these devices.

To that point, what are your thoughts on Sprint pricing the Touch Pro 2 at $349? Is anyone going to pay that?

MG: Thatís a niche enthusiast phone; $199 is really the sweet spot. If consumers are willing to spend $170, theyíll probably spring to spend the extra $30 to get the phone that they want, but will they spend an extra $150 or $200? That remains to be seen; weíre seeing $199 as an upper limit right now.

Nokia is talking about the N900, which is an unsubsidized phone coming in at about $870. That just says thereís absolutely no mass market for that device at that price point period.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...est-value.html
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    As a long time user and developer of maemo and the NITs I don't see the N900 being a phone as everyone puts it. It only works on one band of t-mobile which isnt available everywhere. It's an internet tablet first and foremost, I have a feeling the gsm radio will get used more for data than calls.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast