Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I think the Pre's interface will be easier to navigate with and more user friendly. Multitouch is always nice as well. The problem with Pre is the advertisement. It is still maturing, but could you pit , everyone would want one? It is just what the Pre needs. Something that catches your attention and make people want to know more. The current commercials just........... don't.

The N900 will sell just as well if not better than the n97 just because it is nokia and Nokia is the number 1 phone company in the world ( producing and selling handsets) Palm has 1000 workers and is trying to rebuild. They are getting there.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    Some interesting comments!
    I agree that the zoom action is a little rough, it's a shame that the Nokia does not have a resistive screen with multi touch like the Pre and Iphone.
    I will be interested to see if one of the UK networks picks this up.
    I know the Pre is coming to o2 in October! G.
    Actually, I haven't heard of any resistive touch screens with a multi-touch capability. Also, I just wanted to point out that the Palm Pre and the Apple iPhone are both capacitive touch screens, which also has enabled multi-touch as you can see with pinch zoom in and out feature.

I respect Nokia N900's zooming in and out style. The circular motion is something new and something I find rather interesting.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    A compnay just demonstrated a multitouch resistive screen a couple weeks ago.

Another company demonstrated a capacitive screen thatworks with gloves, fingernails and stylii.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    Actually, I haven't heard of any resistive touch screens with a multi-touch capability. Also, I just wanted to point out that the Palm Pre and the Apple iPhone are both capacitive touch screens, which also has enabled multi-touch as you can see with pinch zoom in and out feature.

I respect Nokia N900's zooming in and out style. The circular motion is something new and something I find rather interesting.
    Yeah I ment to say capacitive lol
    As for the zoom I am not convinced, because everything displayed on the screen moves when you zoom in and I think it would do my eyes in after a while!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    the circular motion is not totally new btw. It has been used in linux touchpad drivers for scrolling for a few years.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well I have given up waiting for the GSM Pre to arrive and have pre-ordered a Nokia N900 from Amazon.

I must say, the 800x480 screen resolution is a big plus for the N900 compared to the Pre.

Whilst I love the Pre's Cards approach to multitasking (especially swipe up to close), the N900 also offers an efficient way to switch between multiple running apps with its Dashboard.

Here is a pic of the N900 Dashboard with 16 apps running, all ready to be easily switched to.

N900 Dashboard showing 16 running apps

The apps on the Dashboard are all Live, like the Pre Cards, and whilst they may be hard to read when you have 16 open as per the above pic, they look pretty good when you have about 9 or less open.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
    Well I have given up waiting for the GSM Pre to arrive and have pre-ordered a Nokia N900 from Amazon.

I must say, the 800x480 screen resolution is a big plus for the N900 compared to the Pre.

Whilst I love the Pre's Cards approach to multitasking (especially swipe up to close), the N900 also offers an efficient way to switch between multiple running apps with its Dashboard.

Here is a pic of the N900 Dashboard with 16 apps running, all ready to be easily switched to.

N900 Dashboard showing 16 running apps

The apps on the Dashboard are all Live, like the Pre Cards, and whilst they may be hard to read when you have 16 open as per the above pic, they look pretty good when you have about 9 or less open.
    Yeah. The way they do multitasking is pretty similar. They both use the exact same processor. One reason the N900 has a slight edge on number of task is that it uses virtual memory when the RAM is full, giving you the ability to open up more windows. Not really a CPU restriction. Congrats

Actually heard that GSM coming next month
  8.    #48  
    The n900 is free on both vodafone and t mobile as a pre order in the UK.
    I have the same problem.. I have de make a choice between the beautiful Palm Pre and the Nokia N900... In France we do not have the Pre yet, and we have no idea about when it will be available... but the N900 is coming this month.. and one of the operators (SFR) will sell the Nokia N900 at 79 euros (approx. 120 US dollars), with 12 month contract...

If i put these informations away of my mind and when I compare "again" these two products, I agree that the Nokia is more performant, better screen resolution, flash 9.4, etc. but the thing cruly missing is GOOGLE MAPS and MSN messenger...

I have read that it is possible to log in to msn emssenger with jabber... But these two point are realy crucial missings...
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The N900 seems to be on par with the Pre for multitasking...

Plus some of the apps loaded on it include a terminal, a file manager, and a voice recorder. Ok, I've got a little envy going on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
    seems that maemo 5 does quite a bit more with same processor and is much more mature OS(since 2005, they just finally tacked on phone) than WebOS. It is not as revolutionary in its interface as WebOS is, but to me, at least, it seems quite a bit more powerful. There are things INTEGRATED on this phone that Pre/Iphone are trying to break their necks for, namely VOIP. Sprint folks might also want to check out this vid that nokia has recently produced touting the possibilities of using a gsm based service

[url= - Video: What is unlocked?[/url]

I know americans like to be enslaved to a phone for 2 years though
    haven't played with the new maemo, but am very familiar with 4. for pim and many other smatphine functions a classic palm emulator was a much celebrated edition. This is because the previous builds of maemo were not smartphone os's and generally sucked as a pda. I won't be jumping to maemo any time soon. Pim will be included in maemo for the first time with the n900 and I have heard it disapoints.

again like anything that runs software that could change

imho our user community is much friendlier to the smartphone or linux novice as well.

just because its been around a while dosnt make maemo mature.
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/20/2009 at 08:16 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123