Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #21  
    Nokia smart phones never feel very attractive to me. It feels a little too advanced and complicated. The focus was how much features can be jammed together than how to make it easy for people to use.

    For example the use of circular motion to zoom looks pretty cool, but it really the best can be done without multi-touch. Pinch is very intuitive. You show the same motion to people without the phone, I bet a lot people would be able to know what it means, because it is like openning your arms. But circular motion is not an universal way to show enlarge.

    Pre still has some issues, but I can feel at the core of Pre's design was ease of use. Look at the card concept, it is not about just giving multi tasking, but how to simplify all the programming concepts into simple visible actions.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Hey, it's all sparkly and sh...stuff, well worth $750!!!!



    Ya think they'll find any phone company willing to subsidize THAT?

    They didn't even bother trying to find an American company for the N97. They're blowing their positioning in the U.S. and from what I've read about their latest smart phones review-wise ...not so good.
    Best Buy had the pre for $850 unsubsidized.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  3.    #23  
    Some interesting comments!
    I agree that the zoom action is a little rough, it's a shame that the Nokia does not have a resistive screen with multi touch like the Pre and Iphone.
    I will be interested to see if one of the UK networks picks this up.
    I know the Pre is coming to o2 in October! G.
  4. #24  
    N900 not a phone gsm..
  5. #25  
    I'd try this in a second it it was compatible with Sprint. T-mobile and AT&T can eat my anus!
  6. #26  
    To be honest, i would get NEITHER. Having been through Nokia's N800 and N810, i'll stay away from Maemo. Sure the N900 has good-looking hardware but my apprehension is the Maemo O.S. Many a time i was gnashing my teeth over the years dealing with my N800/N810, devices with pokey hardware trying to run a pokey O.S that wasn't user friendly, more hacker friendly. basically, the Terminal is your best friend.

    The folks at InternetTabletTalk over the years made Maemo at least halfway useful but there's only so much ordinary folks can do when even Nokia loses interest in a release after a year.

    From the glitzy promos i've seen of the N900 it sure looks mighty fine but i've been fooled before by Nokia and their previous internet tablets that never perform as they are advertised. N810 gps was near useless, mine could never get a fix, and it would lock up and freeze all the time. Anyway we'll see when they hit people's hands.

    My personal experience.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post

    LOL!!
  8. #28  
    the 3 row keyboard is what kills the device.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosxeng View Post
    N900 not a phone gsm..
    Yes it is.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
    )

    Pre superlatives

    revolutionary OS platform
    synergy?
    multitouch
    ???
    I agree with you on the multi-touch. synergy is a mixed blessing (it doesn't always seem to work that well) and the OS platform is certainly not revolutionary.

    The major technical difference between the two OS plattforms is Maemo is much more open than WebOS and the SDK is much more powerful. Maemo applications are developed in C++ and run at native speed on the processor. These means the Maemo apps should run much faster amd it also means that almost any open source linux software could be ported to N900. WebOS apps are jsut a collection of javascripts and HTML pages.

    However the Pre could still work better as a phone and it will definitely sell better. $700+ is a lot for a Phone that can only reach 3G speeds on T-Mobile. I suspect though that T-Mobile will be offering this phone with a subsidy (if they weren't, its unlikely that Nokia would be supporting those 3G bands)
  11. #31  
    Shouldn't this be in the cross platform forum or am I missing the point of the forum?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the cross platform forum or am I missing the point of the forum?

    Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

    I wanted to get a Pre when they come to the UK but then saw this new Nokia thing! LOL

    I wanted to ask Pre users how they thought the two devices and Os compared thats all.

    So I can make a better informed choice, nothing wrong with that is there?
  13. #33  
    Sorry I love my pre but the n900 looks like its a beast to bad its way out of my price range. Plus I love the pre's os its great to me and has a real future in my eyes
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Yes it is.
    very interising!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

    I wanted to get a Pre when they come to the UK but then saw this new Nokia thing! LOL

    I wanted to ask Pre users how they thought the two devices and Os compared thats all.

    So I can make a better informed choice, nothing wrong with that is there?
    It's okay. I was just curious. If I am wrong about this then it's fine. It just seemed a little odd that a moderator made a comment on it and did not move it. It made me start to think I actually didn't know what that forum was for. It's cool though.
  16. SharonW's Avatar
    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #36  
    It seems apparent that Nokia just doesn't get pricing. In addition to announcing new phones and the N900 tablet they also showed off their new netbook today completely MISSING the reason people buy netbooks. Articles like the ones below are appearing all over:

    Netbook Fail: Nokia Booklet Sports a Big-Laptop Price

    Nokia has announced pricing for its upcoming Booklet 3G netbook. At a hefty list price of $820, the Booklet 3G is sure to cause sticker shock among netbook shoppers. Apparently Nokia did not get the memo that the point of a netbook is to provide a smaller AND lower-cost alternative to the laptop.

    Netbook sales have grown contrary to economic trends or any news of recession. In fact, it could be argued that the economic woes have contributed to the success of the netbook market, forcing users to scale down and look for more affordable options to meet their computing needs.

    Financial considerations are one factor. The other chief driver of netbook popularity is the Web. An increased reliance on the Web and availability of web-based apps makes netbooks viable. Users simply need a device with a screen, a keyboard, and an ability to connect to the Internet, eliminating the need for expensive components like DVD recorders and large hard drives.

    Netbook pricing starts around $250 and even high-end netbooks sporting larger hard drives and faster processors in an effort to straddle the line between netbook and laptop still typically come in below $600. By contrast, low-end laptops can be found under $400 with 3Gb of RAM, 250Gb hard drives, and DVD recorders. Clearly there is some overlap of both pricing and functionality between the two categories of mobile computers.

    That makes the Nokia Booklet 3G price all the more shocking. Nokia is offering a device lacking in features found in other high-end netbooks at a price comparable to medium-end laptops. The Atom Z350 processor is slower than CPU’s found in other netbooks, and the 4,200 RPM 120Gb driver is both slower and smaller than drives found in competing products. Lucky Booklet 3G buyers get all of that for only 40 percent more than comparable high-end netbooks.

    More:
    Netbook Fail: Nokia Booklet Sports a Big-Laptop Price - Business Center - PC World
  17. quipper8's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #37  
    n900 up for preorder on nokiausa for $649
  18. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    To be honest, i would get NEITHER. Having been through Nokia's N800 and N810, i'll stay away from Maemo. Sure the N900 has good-looking hardware but my apprehension is the Maemo O.S. Many a time i was gnashing my teeth over the years dealing with my N800/N810, devices with pokey hardware trying to run a pokey O.S that wasn't user friendly, more hacker friendly. basically, the Terminal is your best friend.

    The folks at InternetTabletTalk over the years made Maemo at least halfway useful but there's only so much ordinary folks can do when even Nokia loses interest in a release after a year.

    From the glitzy promos i've seen of the N900 it sure looks mighty fine but i've been fooled before by Nokia and their previous internet tablets that never perform as they are advertised. N810 gps was near useless, mine could never get a fix, and it would lock up and freeze all the time. Anyway we'll see when they hit people's hands.

    My personal experience.
    I'm with you on that one. I don't like my n800 anymore. It is chock full of features but none are really properly implemented. It was nice when I first got it, but now that I have seen the alternatives the deficiencies are glaring. It is too big, too heavy, too slow and the software UI just plain sucks. The iPhone 3G has basically the same CPU yet it is able to accomplish so much more because Apple wrote software that is just plain better.

    I think the Motorola Sholes is much more compelling than the N900. It has mostly the same hardware, but with a better keyboard layout, a slightly larger display and is much thinner. It runs Android, but it is coming to Verizon instead of Sprint or TMO, which means I won't even consider it.

    The other problme with the N900 is that it isn't even out yet.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I'm with you on that one. I don't like my n800 anymore. It is chock full of features but none are really properly implemented. It was nice when I first got it, but now that I have seen the alternatives the deficiencies are glaring. It is too big, too heavy, too slow and the software UI just plain sucks. The iPhone 3G has basically the same CPU yet it is able to accomplish so much more because Apple wrote software that is just plain better.
    Yeah, I haven't used my n800 in ages (and most recently it was used for eBook only usage). That being said, Maemo 5 looks MUCH better than anything I've ever used on my n800.
  20. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #40  
    One of the most annoying things was how Nokia would pour salt on peoples wounds. They did one demo where they had it hooked up to a TV displaying HD video, and VMware showed it running both Android and WinMo side by side with no lag. Nokia does not support the device though, so they never even bothered to try to improve upon it. They released the last update to it in 2008 and then nothing. The same was true wit hthe 770, and it was up to the community to port back the n800 software. I believe it will be the case again with the N900, since Maemo 6 is just around the corner.

    Funny about ebooks though, I just recently read about 500 pages on it and it was good for that, but if it had a proper touch screen it would have been much nicerP. ushing the zoom in button to advance to the next page hurt my finger after a while.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions