1.    #1  
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Nokia N900 a BIG smartphone contender for Pre & iphone

Journalist wondered about the wisdom of Nokia’s decision to emphasize both Symbian and Linux. “What I think I want to see is Nokia licensing Palm’s webOS, used on the Pre,” wrote PC World’s David Coursey. “

For me it is too BIG size for a mobile device and it costS 500EUR= US$713.- without taxes, though the specifications are not bad.

Digits - WSJ

VIDEO
    I have an 810, and the 800 px screen width and Flash make it nice to browse the web tethered to my Treo 755p. That being said, I haven't so much as turned it on since I bought my Pre. Just too much like a computer than a smart phone.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    there has been a version for a long time the n810 that had wimax and was available on sprint. it uses maemo as well, though not the build to be released here.

what i think is interesting, and what i hope to see discussed more, is that the processor is the same as the one in the pre, and that the n900 has support for openGL with appropriate drivers. given it is open source, I was wondering if the driver might work for the pre, allowing the homebrew community to start playing with the GPU on rooted pre's with deeper access (I am assuming there is no javascript interpreter or whatever to allow a new layer talking from driver through to the webOS shell).
    I believe the screen is still resistive, so it would feel weird compared to the capacitive on the Pre.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Journalist wondered about the wisdom of Nokia’s decision to emphasize both Symbian and Linux. “What I think I want to see is Nokia licensing Palm’s webOS, used on the Pre,” wrote PC World’s David Coursey. “
    That journalist is an *****. Why would Palm license WebOS and if Nokia wanted to use someone else's Linux based OS, why not just go with Android.
    What I have observed on the video, not a zoom in zoom out gesture. Is it only a touch device not multiTouch?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    here are some more videos of this new device.

Nokia N900 first videos and hands-on | Nokia Conversations

And what in the world is this analyst smoking, why would Nokia license WebOS when it has been working on maemo since like 2005.
    I have been looking at this too. At first glance it looks great but after reading up I found a few issues....
    No its not multi touch, it's a resistive screen.
    Apart from the phone app it only works in landscape so cannot really be used with just one hand.
    Also the Os (Maemo 5) is being replaced next year by a QT version, not too sure what this means but maybe someone could step in. (Nokia stated that they will be releasing a Maemo 6 version next year)
    When double tapping on text in the browser it zooms in but DOES NOT position the text like the Pre and Iphone does.
    And Nokia are being alittle coy regarding battery life.......
    G.
    The n900 is smaller than the n800 and n810 which means it's not that much bigger than the Pre or iPhone (maybe even the same size as iPhone?)

QT is a UI on top of Linux. Basically that just means it'll be updated with a new UI in a year. Nokia has been great about updates on the Internet Tablets, so I'd suspect you'll get that for free (the years-old Nokia 770, the first NIT, runs a slightly modified version of the newest pre-Maemo 5 OS, Diablo, for example).

And in fact, Maemo is even more open than the Pre, so you can run pretty much any Linux package on it (when I used my n800 heavily, I had Pidgin on it, Abiword (Doc editor), Gnumeric (Spreadsheets), and even a full debian setup on there).
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I believe the screen is still resistive, so it would feel weird compared to the capacitive on the Pre.
    That's the big point! I will never buy again a phone with resistive touchscreen. It's really not made 4 using it with ur fingers, but with a stylus. When I first saw a N900 video on youtube I wondered what Nokia made this time wrong and then I saw this with the touchscreen. They do every time something, that smashes the good ideas, what they have
    But if somebody can live withous a capacitive screen, the phone is really nice, I love the open Linux idea