Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi, I do not usually post anything on here, but I need some advice. I have replied to some posts and usually just do alot of reading, but I really need to get some answers before I do anything. I was first in line for my pre on June 6th and love it. I have my email and facebook and everything set up the way I like it. I have been doing alot of research and am thinking about going with a blackberry. My only hesitation with the pre is the touch. I just don't know if its for me!!! Is the blackberry easy to get on the web and surf? Is it easy to see your facebook and make comments and posts? How about the battery life? Like I said, I do love my Pre, but sometimes I get so flustered just to make a phone call, and I hit the wrong buttons easily with the touch. Maybe I am just one of those people who are never happy?? LOL. Well, I would love to hear from anyone who will take the time to post. Thanks very much.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    well, so much for posting. I guess no one has anything to say.
    I guess there are not too many BB fans here. The blackberry web browser is not as good as the Pre's. Battery life is much better than the Pre's or just about any other smartphone. There is a facebook app available which integrates with the contacts etc. There are also google applications available for "cloud" syncing.
    Since it has a physical kybd it gives you the best of both worlds. Plus you get used to the touchscreen.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I have a blackberry Pearl, which I've used the past 4 or so years. It's a great machine for what it does. It's now on a prepay, voice-only plan, sitting in my house as a backup.

Blackberry wins on batt life and Enterprise software integration, though the latter is not quite as fair a comparison due to the youth of webos. Blackberry's keyboard has a physical bump on keys to let you know where you are without looking, another relatively minor plus over the Pre.

Blackberry's integrated browser is complete, utter, ****. It's horrible. There are other browsers you can download that render pages better, but still nowhere near Palm's (and Apple, for that matter).

To do facebook on blackberry you need their app. It's not too much better than the integrated browser, though you can do your updates and such.

I switched to the Pre and haven't looked back to be honest. Don't miss the pearl a bit.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post
    I have a blackberry Pearl, which I've used the past 4 or so years. It's a great machine for what it does. It's now on a prepay, voice-only plan, sitting in my house as a backup.

Blackberry's integrated browser is complete, utter, ****. It's horrible. There are other browsers you can download that render pages better, but still nowhere near Palm's (and Apple, for that matter).

To do facebook on blackberry you need their app. It's not too much better than the integrated browser, though you can do your updates and such.

I switched to the Pre and haven't looked back to be honest. Don't miss the pearl a bit.

Hope that helps.
    To be fair to RIM, the Perl is not a good reflection of the capabilities of the Tour (or Bold). The screen on the tour is much better. They probably still have some way to go on the browser but RIM will be switching to a Webkit based browser in future. BTW Facebook has a mobile web site that works fine with the RIM browser (or Blazer on PalmOS). The Perl also lacks a Qwerty keyboard of course.

I would recomend that anyone considering switching to a BB on Sprint only consider the Tour at this point. The other RIM devices on Sprint are fairly outdated.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Perl also lacks a Qwerty keyboard of course.
    This is not an issue I ever ran into on the Pearl. The predictive text was more than adequate for fast, querty typing. In fact I'd prefer a pearl-style keyboard to the one on the Pre, simply because it has the "reference bumps" that the Pre lacks.

It's a difference on paper, but in practice the Pearl's keyboard & the predictive text wins out by a few hairs.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, I have read all of your replies and it is very helpful!!
    I appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    i had a blackberry and i loved it
    I had a Blackberry Bold (basically a slightly larger GSM Tour). I actually thought it was a great phone. Anyway here are a few of the pros and cons :

Pros:
    -amazing keyboard
    -gorgeous screen (same resolution as the Pre but much smaller)
    -fast and responsive
    -lots of great software
    -by far the BEST way to stay in touch as everything arrives basically instantly into your inbox ... plus BBM is awesome!
    -decent multitasking (though not up to par with the Pre)
    -solid as a phone

Cons :
    -Battery life was bad unless you turned off 3g (which wasn't an option until you unbranded your ATT phone)
    -the OS and the whole experience just feels dated, there are a lot of apps, most of them tend to feel dated as well
    -no touchscreen, and the trackball seemed to run into issues with dust getting trapped underneath causing scrolling problems
    -the screen was small