Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From the link HTC - Products - HTC Hero - Overview HTC Android phone has some really neat features that Palm Pre does not. It is showing that this phone will be coming to sprint this year. Are you mad that you didnt wait for the Android phone for sprint or are you still happy with the WebOS? http://phandroid.com/2009/08/20/htc-...-hello-sprint/

To me it is kinda neck and neck I do like Android phones just as much as the WebOS. But I am disappointed as in many pre fans are with some basic features it should have like this new HTC Hero phone has. This phone can do just as much or even more than the Pre. Post comments below.
    I have to admit that this phone looks fierce. I liked what I saw in the clips.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblake1030 View Post
    From the link HTC - Products - HTC Hero - Overview HTC Android phone has some really neat features that Palm Pre does not. It is showing that this phone will be coming to sprint this year. Are you mad that you didnt wait for the Android phone for sprint or are you still happy with the WebOS? HTC Hero Passes FCC with CDMA, Hello Sprint! | Android Phone Fans

To me it is kinda neck and neck I do like Android phones just as much as the WebOS. But I am disappointed as in many pre fans are with some basic features it should have like this new HTC Hero phone has. This phone can do just as much or even more than the Pre. Post comments below.
    what is that the HERO can do that the Pre can't , please don't write about the lack of SD card and the supposedly "FLASH" support.
    Unless the Hero can multitask, what's the point? Android hasn't been that impressive. Also, next to Winmo, DOS looks impressive. lol

Flash support comes to the Pre in October.

no physical keyboard = Fail
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    From what I've read the hero just doesn't have the horse power necessary to make all those features enjoyable. It's a great visual make over and all the widgets and stuff are cool but it's got a much slower cpu than the ipone 3Gs and Pre. Either way I'm very happy with webos so far. Now if they announce a new Hero with the same cpu that's int he Pre I might care a bit more but at the moment I'm quite happy.

@gdp: one of the key things is widgets. Sort of like an active desktop you can take certain apps and embed them into the pages of the screen. It also has a very nice UI. It's much more customizable than the Pre.

Engadget has a nice review: HTC Hero review
    Well....

Pros for Hero:
    1) Interface looks sharp and is customizable - HTC has a nice FLO3D style I like.
    2) Bigger Battery...WOOT
    3) Advanced features in text messaging etc that are not in Pre at the moment
    4) 5 Mpixel Camera!!!!! and ZOOM

Cons about Hero:
    1) Curved - makes bulk, breakage, odd to hold
    2) No keyboard!?! ARE YOU CRAZY!
    3) Less advanced then the WebOS idea with apps coming and updates etc even for the 1.1 OS
    4) Multitasking???...umm...MISSING!!!
    5) I almost bought a HTC Touch Pro before the Pre...until I held it...felt more cheaply made then the Pre, and the touchscreen SUCKED...WinMob icons were small on it and it was not sensitive enough. Plus resolution/brightness/glare was aweful in the store, image it outside.
    6) 528MHz processor...ARE YOU SERIOUS...so last year...Pre is faster then that. With the advancement lately in processors someone should be able to put an Intel Netbook Atom processor in a phone soon with a 150mAh battery and make it last all day.

BOTTOM LINE:
    Pre has some minor flaws (most will get updated very soon from the pace things are going) that are more of a preference per user basis or convienence, BUT overall can offer much more in terms of power, later customization, and just apps and awesomeness.
    Love Google to death, dont get me wrong, but Palm is way more experienced in this market type and kicked Android (which as been out for quite a bit) to hell with WebOS 1.0.0, and people just aren't developing much for that platform even today.

GO PALM!!!

I will be upgrading to Palm WebOS again when they create a new phone and my contract is upgradeable again.

Palm - 1
    Google/Android - 0
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 08/26/2009 at 02:39 PM.
  7. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    From what I've read the hero just doesn't have the horse power necessary to make all those features enjoyable. It's a great visual make over and all the widgets and stuff are cool but it's got a much slower cpu than the ipone 3Gs and Pre. Either way I'm very happy with webos so far. Now if they announce a new Hero with the same cpu that's int he Pre I might care a bit more but at the moment I'm quite happy.

@gdp: one of the key things is widgets. Sort of like an active desktop you can take certain apps and embed them into the pages of the screen. It also has a very nice UI. It's much more customizable than the Pre.

Engadget has a nice review: HTC Hero review
    Honestly, most GSM phones that didn't have enough horsepower with their initial release, Sprint ends up solving (with their requests from the OEM's for faster processor & more RAM). There are numerous examples such as a variety of Blackberry & WinMo models that were ported over to Sprint from GSM.
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
    Until the Hero is actually released, I think its all speculation. I'll decide when I can play with one.

At this point, there are far too many "if's" to say definitively which device is better.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    From the reviews I've read (engadget, etc.), The Hero has a fantastic UI, but lacks the speed to make it work well. The Pre is a bit choppy with animations and stuff frequently, but it's not unbearable. We'll have to see actual comparisons when the Hero comes out.
  10. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    From the reviews I've read (engadget, etc.), The Hero has a fantastic UI, but lacks the speed to make it work well. The Pre is a bit choppy with animations and stuff frequently, but it's not unbearable. We'll have to see actual comparisons when the Hero comes out.
    Speed issue solved: Software Update Fixes the HTC Hero's Only Real Problem - HTC Hero - Gizmodo

HTC Hero Coming To Sprint - HTC Hero - Gizmodo
    Palm PRE is and will remain better than the HTC Hero.

The operating system is better in my opinion
    no keyboard, no sale
    not to mention is an mess, unorganized and cluttered.
    and hardware buttons galore..too much not to like
    From what I've read thus far a lot of the speed issues occur when certain widgets are running on the Hero. Namely facebook and twitter. I didn't see either of these running in this video, nor did I see the user loading the full version of any of the apps.

I for one was dead set on the Hero until I realized that it's hardware was really going to hold it back, and I got to play with a Pre with 1.1 update on it.

The Hero looks really nice, but it's execution of multitasking is flawed (very similar to WinMO, open one app, then hide app when going to home screen or opening another app, you can only list open apps in a taskmanager fasion by holding down a hardware key, ick!) and the slower processor just kills it.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    From the reviews I've read, the Hero's on screen keyboard is terrible. That alone is enough to make me get the Pre instead.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Forget the "Hero" that form factor is different from Pre,...but the InstinctQ with android and keyboard seems like a worthy advisary than the hero..the InsticntQ is the Peoples Champ and the Hero is just that...the "Hero"......Who is there to save the Hero?...LMAO
  16. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    From the reviews I've read, the Hero's on screen keyboard is terrible. That alone is enough to make me get the Pre instead.
    I have to agree with the lack of KB being an issue but hopefully the software update will allow apps to run smoother. Either that or my initial prediction which is that the Sprint Hero will come with increased RAM/Processing. I'm not saying the Hero will be better than the Pre, I like BOTH phones & have high hopes for Palm.
    Shouldn't this be in cross platform discussion....???
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Pre has great Exchange support - Last I heard Android only supported Exchange e-mail on some phones and not Exchange calendars... That's such a core phone experience I want it in the OS, not some afterthought by a 3rd party like HTC or T-Mobile. Until that happens, I'm not interested in any Android phones...
    Android multi tasks btw, for all of you saying it does not. In a single patch HTC fixed most of the major issues with their device hopefully before it launches palm will do the same or this place will have to resort to the most commonly typed phrase: "That should get fixed in an update"
    Honestly, I think the people who would have bought the Hero on Sprint have already bought the Pre. I can't see the Hero being a huge seller.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast