Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i dont like the looks of it. the pre has a nice feel to it. i never thought that was important until i had one.
    The interface looks nice, reminds me of my Linux home PC, Widgets and customizable desktop views, NICE

The build even seems as though it would be more solid. ( G1 phone is solid and feels sturdy, this one must be as well)
    Camera specs are nice video compatible ( pre is video capable just not able to

I like the Track Ball wish the pre had this enabled..

Memory is a deal breaker for me, even with Micro SD lots of times not everything would run off of Expansion card such as apps.

I am happy with Webos but had this been available to trial when i first got my Pre I may have been inclined to go with whichever one was faster OS, and had the better build quality out of the box...

Competition is Good it forces Palm to stay on top of their game!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    no keyboard, no sale
    not to mention is an mess, unorganized and cluttered.
    and hardware buttons galore..too much not to like
    I agree with you on the keyboard, but strongly disagree about the buttons. In most situations, tapping a button is simply easier and faster than swiping and scrolling to find what you want. It may not be cool, but it works.

As for being a disorganized mess, I guess time will tell. But it seems to do a bunch of things people have been clamoring for on the Pre. Here's just a few:

- notification light
    - SD card (which implies local backups)
    - auto focus camera
    - auto reflow of web pages, so you do less scrolling left and right
    - track ball
    - native (low level) programming - probably better games
    - customization, customization, customization
    - a facebook app
    - Video recording

But, as others have said, its all speculation until the device is available. I the potential of a lot to like, except for no hard keyboard.

I also noticed they didn't demo anything in landscape. I find that a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Well....

BOTTOM LINE:
    Pre has some minor flaws (most will get updated very soon from the pace things are going) that are more of a preference per user basis or convienence, BUT overall can offer much more in terms of power, later customization, and just apps and awesomeness.
    Palm - 1
    Google/Android - 0
    This is too, too funny. Many of us find the Pre has major flaws. the OS is still hugely buggy and lacking in features, and the PIM apps are weak, to say the least. Your faith that these issues will be fixed "very soon" is touching, but there's nothing to suggest it's valid. So far Palm's issued a couple of very minor updates that have done nothing to address the real issues with the device. I'm also amused that the "later customization" is "much more" than the current customization capability of the Hero. The truth is we don't know how much customization Palm will allow, but currently you can't even change alert tones.

Apps? As limited is the Android is in that regard, it still offers more that the Pre App Catalog does today. Once again, your faith that things will get better is touching, but faith belongs with religion, and I want facts. And the fact is none of us know how much the Pre will be improved, or how many quality apps will eventually be available.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 08/26/2009 at 10:28 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Honestly, I think the people who would have bought the Hero on Sprint have already bought the Pre. I can't see the Hero being a huge seller.
    There are many, many thousands of people coming off contract every day. Lots of people who will be shopping for a new phone who haven't yet bought a Pre. At least Palm better hope so, because if everyone who wants a Smartphone on Sprint has already bought one, Palm is dead.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    If it had a physical keyboard, it'd be a more viable contender for me, but after having the iPhone, a physical keyboard is a must.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Cons about Hero:
    1) Curved - makes bulk, breakage, odd to hold. My friend imported the hero (via clove), and I can tell you that the chin is fine. The phone doesn't feel bulky, its solidly built, and is perfectly comfortable to hold.
    2) No keyboard!?! ARE YOU CRAZY!
    3) Less advanced then the WebOS idea with apps coming and updates etc even for the 1.1 OS. Matter of opinion, I love the way they integrate their "people" system.
    4) Multitasking???...umm...MISSING!!! NOT. There IS multitasking on all android phones, I don't know where you got the idea that there isn't.
    5) I almost bought a HTC Touch Pro before the Pre...until I held it...felt more cheaply made then the Pre, and the touchscreen SUCKED...WinMob icons were small on it and it was not sensitive enough. Plus resolution/brightness/glare was aweful in the store, image it outside. Windows mobile uses resistive touchscreens, which are less sensitive/responsive than Android phones, which use capacitive screens, like iphone,storm, and pre.
    6) 528MHz processor...ARE YOU SERIOUS...so last year...Pre is faster then that. With the advancement lately in processors someone should be able to put an Intel Netbook Atom processor in a phone soon with a 150mAh battery and make it last all day.
  7.    #27  
    There are a lot more specs but here are a few..

Palm Pre

Operating system
    Palm® webOS™
    Network specs|

3G EVDO Rev A
    Display

3.1-inch touch screen
    24-bit color
    320×480 resolution
    HVGA display
    Keyboard

Physical QWERTY keyboard
    Email

Microsoft Outlook® email with Microsoft® Direct Push Technology
    POP3/IMAP (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc)
    Messaging

Integrated IM, SMS, and MMS
    GPS

Built-in GPS
    Digital camera

3 megapixel camera
    LED flash
    extended depth of field
    Sensors

Ambient light
    accelerometer
    proximity
    Media formats supported

Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, Animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP
    Wireless connectivity

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, 801.1x authentication
    Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support
    Memory

8GB of user storage (~7.4GB user available)
    USB mass storage support
    Phone as laptop modem

Bluetooth tethering
    Connector

MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
    Headphone jack

3.5mm stereo
    Palm® Touchstone™
    charging dock

Compatible
    Dimensions

Width: 59.5mm (2.3 inches)
    Height: 100.5mm (3.9 inches)
    Thickness: 16.95mm (0.67 inches)
    Weight: 135 grams (4.76 ounces)

HTC HERO

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
    Operating System Android™
    Memory ROM: 512 MB
    RAM: 288 MB
    Dimensions (LxWxT) 112 x 56.2 x 14.35 mm ( 4.41 x 2.21 x 0.57 inches)
    Weight 135 grams ( 4.76 ounces) with battery
    Display 3.2-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with 320x480 HVGA resolution
    Network HSPA/WCDMA:

900/2100 MHz
    Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    (Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)

Device Control Trackball with Enter button
    GPS Internal GPS antenna
    Connectivity Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets
    Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)
    3.5 mm audio jack
    Camera 5.0 megapixel color camera with auto focus
    Audio supported formats MP3, AAC(AAC, AAC+, AAC-LC), AMR-NB, WAV, MIDI and Windows Media® Audio 9
    Video supported formats MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 and Windows Media® Video 9
    Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
    Capacity: 1350 mAh
    Talk time:
    Up to 420 minutes for WCDMA
    Up to 470 minutes for GSM
    Standby time:
    Up to 750 hours for WCDMA
    Up to 440 hours for GSM
    (The above are subject to network and phone usage.)

Expansion Slot microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
    AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
    DC output: 5V and 1A
    Special Features G-sensor
    Digital Compass
    I currently own both the Palm Pre and HTC MyTouch and I do have to say that there are pros and cons. The thing that strikes a thumbs up about the Android is the amount of quality apps that it does have. Sure, the iPhone has 60X more but for the Android, being at the 5000 to 7000 range is more than enough.

I do know that the Hero uses a process similar to that of the MyTouch except in the US, the Hero has about 100 mb of ram more than the U.S. MyTouch so it should be faster. Also, a recent update to the rom was released not too long ago and bloggers have been raving about the improved speed.

I may end up getting the Hero, drop the MyTouch and still keep my Pre. The build quality of the MyTouch is spectacular, rivaling that of the iPhone, IMO. The build quality of the Pre...urgh. Not even going to get into that one. The build date on my Pre is August 5th and the screen is moving left to right (while closed) more than I'd like at this point. I'm on my 4th Pre (1st had hairline cracks, 2nd unit reset, 3rd reset and screen was wobbly, now 4th is okay but screen just turned wobbly 2 days ago)

Edit - I do still prefer WebOS over Android. The Android OS is still "choppy". It's not fluid when compared to the WebOS. And this is probably a hardware issue but the screen on the Pre is VERY responsive compared to the MyTouch. Going from the Pre to the MyTouch is almost a disaster waiting to happen. Thank goodness I have both to one can compensate for what the other is lacking.
    Last edited by chiliu78; 08/27/2009 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb_nyj101 View Post

I echo the above. The "chin" does not make a difference. I've put my MyTouch in my pocket or whatever with no problems
    My 30 day return window ends on Sep. 13 so I'm going to wait and see if Palm releases an update prior to then that fixes my reception problem (wild variation of signal strength, frequent dropped calls, etc.) and if not, then I'll likely return the Pre and wait for the October lineup to hit the shelves.

If all else fails, maybe the build quality of the quarter 4 Pre shipments will be better and I'll just get another one at that time, but I'm really hoping the Hero is everything it's supposed to be. I'll def be keeping my eye on this and the InstinctQ.
    I was once a pre lover too..however the hero is a much better phone. The virtual keyboard on the hero is amazing! Much better then the pre's. The hero does multi task. Just hold down the home button and a list of all your running programs pop up. No it doesn't do it like the pre, but it does do it. The only thing I miss from my pre is the flash..
  12. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    When I was in the store checking out the Hero, holding doen the home button did not list all the running apps... It put up a grid of your six most recently USED apps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12