Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Pleased to see the Pre represented...

Prizefight: T-Mobile MyTouch 3G vs. Palm Pre - CNET Reviews
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
    Nice review, and I agree for the most part (except in the sexyness area - I think the Pre looks sexier). I had the opportunity to play with a MT g3 a couple days ago and while it has its pluses, Android just doesn't seem as polished an interface as WEBOS. It had more features: it did video recording, played more sound formats, had the same drag-n-drop functionality and the biggest plus imo was the expansion slot. But the interface seemed plain and drab, and it was slower (in some areas) and more convoluted. The onscreen keyboard was surprisingly good though although it did take a little getting used. It was certainly better than the Iphone's(imo).

The email app was good but I preferred the look and arrangement of the Pre's. The web browser wasn't bad but the interface and lack of pinching crippled it IMO. The Pre's camera and screen was definitely superior, no question. Videos looked good but the volume at max was lower than the Pre's. Overall it's not a bad phone at all (I'd probably choose it over an Iphone) but I'd still choose the Pre over it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I have compared the two extensively.

If the software weren't running on what is essentially the G1 hardware, maybe It'd be up to snuff. My biggest concern, however, is HTC's virtual keyboard. Gross.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Having done both, and reading the review, it is clear that Kent was paid off.

The one thing the prize fight didn't really touch on was build quality: The HTC beats the Pre, hands down. Given the robust Apps store and things like video support out of the box, at best the myTouch gets a 4.3 and the pre a 3.5.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    wow thats great good review
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Though not as close as some of our past cell phone Prizefights, this was still a good fight. The MyTouch narrowly captured the design and call quality rounds, but the Pre's substantial wins in the remaining three rounds were enough for it to capture the title. Perhaps as Android matures, and the number of supported devices grows, it will put up a better fight. But for now, the Pre rules.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6454_7-...ntent;y_button
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    posted already, and no need to make another thread about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    new to me thanks mrloserpunk
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Yeah just noticed.....Any-hoots it only had 2 replies....it got kinda buried down there.....But Mods feel free to explode this in 5 4 3 2 1 *BLAM*
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    What a name. Mytouch 3G?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Yeah just noticed.....Any-hoots it only had 2 replies....it got kinda buried down there.....But Mods feel free to explode this in 5 4 3 2 1 *BLAM*
    It was posted here the day the article was released, and then the mod's moved it to exactly where something like this should be, the Cross-Platform Chat section

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-platform-chat/
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It was posted here the day the article was released, and then the mod's moved it to exactly where something like this should be, the Cross-Platform Chat section

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-platform-chat/
    Where things die..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Where things die..lol
    Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    What a name. Mytouch 3G?
    So true. Makes me feel kind of dirty...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I have compared the two extensively.

If the software weren't running on what is essentially the G1 hardware, maybe It'd be up to snuff. My biggest concern, however, is HTC's virtual keyboard. Gross.
    Yes, I look forward to the day that Android is available on better hardware and on a better cellphone network here in the US. At least the G1 had a keyboard.
    Yes if i say so myself i'd rather take the G1 just with a few upgrades such as the ones made to the mytouch 3G . And Palm Pre is sexier hands down!
    sexiness - black is beautiful and always wins out to me. the os is sexy while android is utilitarian and not sexy

pre's media player is nice looking but it sucks *** and it's horrible with video formats that should work just fine. don't know who wins cause i've never delved into the android player

but no keyboard and no flash on the camera and the ugliness are big losses to me. and bottom line if i was going to get a keyboardless phone i would get an iphone.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 08/29/2009 at 12:03 AM.
    Pre wins hands down in my opinion due to:

1) Web browsing
    2) Messaging
    3) Physical keyboard that works great!
    4) Feel in your hand when closed
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Just saw the video and was wondering what facebook notification is that?
    Some of these ratings seem strange. Take controls and user interface for example. Two of the three have significant complaints about the Pre, but still give it a 5? If 5 is the top score, then there should be no, or only very minor, concerns to get that rating. Giving it a 5 because one part of the interface (pinching and zooming) is great makes no sense.

Again, on features, the same two reviewers cite things the Pre lacks, but give it a "5." And the middle reviewer downgrades the MT to a 3 because it's "still a work in progress." Well so is the Pre. Absurd. Both are incomplete, but I'd argure the Pre is missing more features than is the MyTouch. (And I'm no fan of the MT, btw.)

And how can they give the Pre a '5' on multimedia with no video recording capability. I'll agree it rates higher than the MT in this case, but not a 5.

The reviewers' (especially Kent and Brian) biases invalidate the entire thing, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 09/09/2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast