Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got an Ipaq 3835, one sweet handheld to say the least. Solves all the problems that made the earlier 3635 a not-so-perfect handheld. Nice 16 bit screen, no dust, lots of memory, I'm one happy fellow.
    It's nice to see that Compaq has added the much needed improvements that we've all been screaming for, but I think $600 for a PDA is pure insanity! I don't understand why PocketPC hardware has suddenly gotten more expensive? I thought competitive products were supposed to become cheaper over time? :P

PPC 2002 is a nice refinement, but it's still a very sloppy architecture. ActiveSync still sucks, overall performance is sporatic and unpredictable, and the "close" button doesn't actually close an application. And the user is still forced to use Outlook as their desktop PIM.....no thanks!

The new Themes feature is quite nice. I've been making a bunch of them for my friends. Too bad we don't have anything like this for PalmOS.
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    Just got an Ipaq 3835, one sweet handheld to say the least. Solves all the problems that made the earlier 3635 a not-so-perfect handheld. Nice 16 bit screen, no dust, lots of memory, I'm one happy fellow.
    Hmmm...well, it's still kinda "bricky" ain't it? Haha, sorrie, just had to say that. Well, that's kool. How does it handle basic tasks though, at least for you? My friend upgraded to PPC 2002 with his 3600 iPAQ. Those themes were nice, he had a BMW theme, but the OS itself was just useless. He never tracked appointments, contacts, to-dos, memos. It was just too hard on the iPAQ. It was more like a $500 entertainment device. You could do the same with a $200 Palm IIIc, LOL. Oh, and the battery would last a lot longer.

How's the new iPAQs battery performance? I heard they had to step-up the mAh level, AGAIN. LOL...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Those themes were nice, he had a BMW theme, but the OS itself was just useless.
    Hmm...I wonder if that was one of my themes. I made two different BMW themes and posted them on Pocketthemes.com

As for the PPC OS...in spite of the improvements, it's still rather braindead compared to the PalmOS. When you overlook the exotic multimedia functions, there really isn't anything PPC can do that a standard PalmOS device can't.
    Originally posted by foo fighter

Hmm...I wonder if that was one of my themes. I made two different BMW themes and posted them on Pocketthemes.com

As for the PPC OS...in spite of the improvements, it's still rather braindead compared to the PalmOS. When you overlook the exotic multimedia functions, there really isn't anything PPC can do that a standard PalmOS device can't.
    It was a niiiiice theme, with black background, BMW logo, and a black Z3 I believe. That's the only thing I want from PPC, ahhhh...

Well...PalmOS is catching up, with the help of electronics giant Sony! MP3 is in my opinion better, the battery lasts so freaking long! On a road trip that took 6 hours to Las Vegas, I played on my Clie AND listened to MP3s the whole way. The battery was somewhere around the 40% mark. I think only Microsoft and Sony will be around in the end, and some small companies sneaking in and getting thrown out, hehe. They're the only ones with huge money reserves. They can afford to mess up, as we've seen with the Clie S300, and PPC. Microsoft it still messing up, haha...
    nelson.hsieh
    It was a niiiiice theme, with black background, BMW logo, and a black Z3 I believe.
    Nope, that wasn't mine. I've seen it too though.

That's the only thing I want from PPC, ahhhh...
    ME TOO!!!!!! The PalmOS really sucks at UI customization. There is no equal to PPC's "Theme" feature.

I think only Microsoft and Sony will be around in the end, and some small companies sneaking in and getting thrown out, hehe. They're the only ones with huge money reserves.
    I really don't beleive PocketPC has a future at all in consumer electronics. The hardware is far too expensive and impractical for mainstream users. PocketPC will most likely rule the corporate market, but it will never be anything more than a niche item for geeks, among consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if retail stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City actually stopped carrying them, as more (popular) PalmOS devices hit the market. PPC marketshare will continue to shrink in retail. Sorry Microsoft!
    Last edited by foo fighter; 11/30/2001 at 12:32 AM.
    ME TOO!!!!!! The PalmOS really sucks at UI customization. There is no equal to PPC's "Theme" feature.

I really don't beleive PocketPC has a future at all in consumer electronics. The hardware is far too expensive and impractical for mainstream users. PocketPC will most likely rule the corporate market, but it will never be anything more than a niche item for geeks, among consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if retail stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City actually stopped carrying them, as more (popular) PalmOS devices hit the market. PPC marketshare will continue to shrink in retail. Sorry Microsoft!
    Yea, PalmOS has tons of launcher, but none of them can come close to themes on PPC. You can't even make your own. I think the best launcher is SilverScreen, but they don't have a high-res version yet, argh, so I stick with Crs-Launcher, I love high-res in a launcher. Hopefully someone will find a cool way to utilize those 65,000 colours and 320 x 320 resolution...

I agree, though eventually Microsoft might start getting somethings right, but hmm, I dont know. Haha, they're still not getting things right and they been around for almost 25 years! I figure this, Apple comes out with some killer software, (i.e. MacOS). Microsoft sends its people over to check it out, and a year later, Microsoft comes out with the same stuff. (i.e. Windows OS). LOL, and they're still doing it today...for example: Mac OS X came out almost a year ago, and it has the same and better feature set than WinXP. However, WinXP has just now come out. LOL.

Microsoft will be around for quite some time, they have too much money. Maybe one day they'll realize they're not making any money from handhelds, and pull out. We know Sony will be in the game though...
    If Palm and Handspring merge, and they get some good leadership, we could see some good competition among them and Sony. We'll see...
    nelson.hsieh
    Take a look at http://www.twilightedge.com/
    I haven't used it, but it looks promising if that's what you want.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Originally posted by icthus
    Backdrop GC is garbage! It converts the entire GUI to 2-bit colors, just like a grayscale Palm.

Sorry icthus, but there is NO comparable feature for PalmOS. This is entirely Palm's fault, as they feel that the OS should not be customized in this way. This is yet another example of Microsoft listening to Palm's customers better than Palm!

Themes are awesome! It's been a blast making themes for my friends, but it makes me sick that I don't get to use what I create:

http://www.pocketthemes.com/download...=Foo%20Fighter

http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/forum...php?forumid=90
    You guys seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on UI chrome. I don't think a majority of the market really cares a whole lot about that.

As for Microsoft, they are good emulators. That's how they've succeeded. To be fair, however, that can innovate when forced too...they just rarely have to innovate much.

And while the 'Microsoft stole windows from Apple' diatribe is true, it was not Apple that invented the GUI, either.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Hey FooFighter, those StarTrek backdrops are just the coolest!!

I wonder what palms would look like if Microsoft made Palms.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by icthus
    LOL, yea I've seen that stuff...it's plainly but, sucks. I mean, it's okai for some stuff, but those are cheapy images. No BMWs, and even if I made my own, it wouldn't look very good at 160 x 160, and they don't even support 320 x 320. Maybe they'll make it better? I don't knoe...
    nelson.hsieh

Backdrop GC is garbage! It converts the entire GUI to 2-bit colors, just like a grayscale Palm.

Sorry icthus, but there is NO comparable feature for PalmOS. This is entirely Palm's fault, as they feel that the OS should not be customized in this way. This is yet another example of Microsoft listening to Palm's customers better than Palm!

Themes are awesome! It's been a blast making themes for my friends, but it makes me sick that I don't get to use what I create:

http://www.pocketthemes.com/download...=Foo%20Fighter

http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/forum...php?forumid=90
    If some developer FINALLY made an app like that, I think it would be very popular among power users. Not sure about average users, because it's kinda a more advanced topic. Just like wallpaper on your PC, though many people are finally catching on...but I want it!

Your BMW themes are pretty kool, but I like the one my friend had more, sorrie! That Apple theme is awesome too, kinda a oxymoron, hehe.
    nelson.hsieh
  14.    #14  
    It's nice to see that Compaq has added the much needed improvements that we've all been screaming for, but I think $600 for a PDA is pure insanity! I don't understand why PocketPC hardware has suddenly gotten more expensive? I thought competitive products were supposed to become cheaper over time? :P

PPC 2002 is a nice refinement, but it's still a very sloppy
    Actually, I only paid $150 for it, I took my Ipaq 3635 back to Best Buy and told them it was defective (there was so much dust under the screen it wasn't even funny.) And I argued that since they no longer carried the 3635 I should be able to pay the difference and get a 3835, which I did . The Ipaq has been the ONLY PDA I've ever taken back because of a problem I've had with it, which tells you something about Compaq's quality control. The 3835 is a major improvement, my only real whine about it is that while the screen has a great backlight, the screen itself is too dark when you're doing some things. primarily this is playing games, so it's nothing serious. The good thing is that I've heard a few people are coming out with gamma correction apps for it.

On the whole, I'd reccomend this to any advanced user needing a PPC.

I think only Microsoft and Sony will be around in the end, and some small companies sneaking in and getting thrown out, hehe.
    If Palm died, what would happen to the Palm OS? I don't think they're going anywhere.
    Originally posted by homer
    You guys seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on UI chrome. I don't think a majority of the market really cares a whole lot about that.

As for Microsoft, they are good emulators. That's how they've succeeded. To be fair, however, that can innovate when forced too...they just rarely have to innovate much.

And while the 'Microsoft stole windows from Apple' diatribe is true, it was not Apple that invented the GUI, either.
    Well, I'm sure people wouldn't mind looking at something other than a BIG white background. Like a picture of a family member, a car, whatever suits you.

Yea, Microsoft is so spoiled because they always think they have it made for them, but not always, then they gotta start working hard. Hmm, was just thinking, it was the same with that guy that came up with the idea of the "Fish Diagram" to improve company efficiency. Forgot his name, he showed it to American companies after WW2, and they though they were all bad because they had no competition, so they didn't buy it. So he went to Japan, and helped make what are today Toyota and Sony. So much for American companies having too much pride.

LOL, read my signature, but Apple stole it first, so ha! Microsoft wasn't smart enough, but they were smart enough to steal it from Apple and make billions, so I guess Bill is still the smarter one, but I still like Steve more, Too bad for Xerox, I don't even know the names of anyone that developed that stuff... Sorrie!
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    If Palm died, what would happen to the Palm OS? I don't think they're going anywhere.
    LOL, that's not too smart. If Microsoft died, which will never happen, what would happen to it? Any and every company that could get its hands on it would buy it. The same for Palm, Inc. When they go bankrupt, because they will, companies like Sony, Handspring (if still around), and others will pick it up, and they will be the ones developing the OS.

LOL, the Master has been taken over by the learner.
    "The Circle is now complete, I was once but the learner, but now I am the master."
    "Only a master of evil Darth! You can't win Darth." (That's what he thought too) but...

Two episodes later...Luke kills his own father (see the symbolism, hehe), and the master, Darth, has been lost. hehe...
    nelson.hsieh

[snip]Forgot his name, [/snip]
    I believe you are referring to Edward Demming.
    When they [Palm] go bankrupt, because they will, companies like Sony, Handspring (if still around), and others will pick it up, and they will be the ones developing the OS.
    There is absolutely no question that the PalmOS will remain the dominant OS, whether Palm remains independant or not. I still believe that Sony will gobble them up, but that's just a hunch. As for Palm going bankrupt...I don't think that's going to happen. Some larger company will acquire them LONG before they ever go belly up. If any PDA company is headed for bankruptcy court, it's Handspring. They are teetering on the Edge (pun intended), and have burned through most of their cash. After 3 years in business, they STILL have NOT turned a profit. How much longer can this go on?

LOL, the Master has been taken over by the learner.
    "The Circle is now complete, I was once but the learner, but now I am the master."
    "Only a master of evil Darth! You can't win Darth." (That's what he thought too) but...

Two episodes later...Luke kills his own father (see the symbolism, hehe), and the master, Darth, has been lost. hehe...
    LOL! Yeah, but look what happened: 20 years later, the series makes a comeback!

Maybe that will happen with Palm!
    I believe you are referring to Edward Demming.
    Yea, that's right, can't remember all these names, specially when you're taking Dev of Civ A and Bio at the same time...He's a kool guy...
    nelson.hsieh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast