Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by foo fighter

There is absolutely no question that the PalmOS will remain the dominant OS, whether Palm remains independant or not. I still believe that Sony will gobble them up, but that's just a hunch. As for Palm going bankrupt...I don't think that's going to happen. Some larger company will acquire them LONG before they ever go belly up. If any PDA company is headed for bankruptcy court, it's Handspring. They are teetering on the Edge (pun intended), and have burned through most of their cash. After 3 years in business, they STILL have NOT turned a profit. How much longer can this go on?

LOL! Yeah, but look what happened: 20 years later, the series makes a comeback!

Maybe that will happen with Palm!
    Hmm, yea, that's probably right. I kinda meant, if Palm didn't watch it themselves, they would burn all their cash. Good thing they got rid of what's his name, Yawonski or something? lol. I think if they get some good people in leadership, like *ahem* past Apple president John Scully, they might actually have a better chance of staying alive. Sony is probably just waiting for the right time to strike. Let 'em sweat a little then eat 'em whole. Handspring, Hawkins is probably pretty disappointed at himself. Who knows, maybe he'll join Sony, or try and start another company which will probably end the same. I like that guy too..

LOL, maybe in 20 years, Palm will come back I doubt it...haha
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    ...I kinda meant, if Palm didn't watch it themselves, they would burn all their cash.
    You know what's really sad? They have already burned through most of the nearly one billion they raised from the initial IPO. And look what they have to show for it? Sad, Yankowski should have been booted out long ago, along with the rest of upper management. I still believe in the Palm platform, but if any company deserved to die shearly from its own stupidity and arrogance...it's Palm!

Good thing they got rid of what's his name, Yawonski or something? lol.
    I was opposed to Carl's appointment from the beginning. I've been right every time a CEO is name to a company that he/she has no experience with. Example: Jeff Weitzen was named CEO to Gateway, and his last management position (CFO) was at Pilsbury! That's right, the same company that makes cookie dough! Yankowski's last gig was Reebock, the shoe company. I said he was a bad choice, and boy did I hit the nail on the head. I'm not familiar with David Nagel (OS division leader), but he has the proper attitude. The Zen of Palm is dead, long may it rest in peace. What happens beyond this point is entirely up to Palm and its users. Viva la revolution!

Sony is probably just waiting for the right time to strike.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony did purchase Palm. It's a natural fit.

Handspring, Hawkins is probably pretty disappointed at himself.
    I'm pretty disappointed in Hawkins. This guy has been a complete flop! Lot's of hype surrounded Handspring since its inception, and it has turned out to be a waste of venture capitol money! The end will come soon enough, one way or another.

Who knows, maybe he'll join Sony,
    I think he would be more of a liability than an asset.

or try and start another company which will probably end the same. I like that guy too..
    Oh goody. Another failure! If Handspring goes down, which it will, Hawkins is finished. I won't be shedding any tears at his funeral, metaphorically speaking.
    I'm pretty disappointed in Hawkins. This guy has been a complete flop! Lot's of hype surrounded Handspring since its inception, and it has turned out to be a waste of venture capitol money! The end will come soon enough, one way or another.

I think he would be more of a liability than an asset.

Oh goody. Another failure! If Handspring goes down, which it will, Hawkins is finished. I won't be shedding any tears at his funeral, metaphorically speaking.
    Well...I think you're bagging on him too much. I just said he's probably a little disappointed in himself after being on fire so long. I mean, Handspring will be gone eventually, but I'm sure he's gonna make his last years as good as he can. The Treo is still an excellent product, nothing out there compares with it, yet. Maybe Sony will come out with a "Treo-like" product. We'll see. And as for the cheapest PalmOS PDA avaliable, you cant beat getting an 8 MB machine for $100 anywhere on the internet. And even cheaper at Frys refurbished. Give him some credit...

Even more so, he's the one that took the Newton and made graffiti. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't even be here talking about him and PalmOS. PalmOS would not even have been born if it wasn't for him. He's a brilliant man, I think he's done his job, and maybe it's time for him to move on. He's started a huge new fad and new computing medium. The handheld computer. We'd all be under the evil hand of Microsoft and WinCE if it wasn't for him. You gotta thank him for being a rebel against the Imperial Troops.
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Well...I think you're bagging on him too much.
    Maybe, but I have yet to see him truly prove himself. Handspring started off with a bang, and then went out like a deflating balloon. I'm sick of his keynotes where he "predicts" the death of his competitors, when it's his own product/company he should be worried about!

Am I bagging on him too much? Maybe, but I really believe that Hawkins has lost touch with the market. He still believes in peddling low margin organizers to the masses. Good luck trying to grow, let alone maintain, a company on that strategy.

Handspring will be gone eventually,
    Sooner than you may think. They are already in the process of looking for more suckers...uh I mean investors. What does that tell you?

Treo is still an excellent product, nothing out there compares with it, yet.
    Yes it is. But that doesn't mean it will be a success. I think it's going to tank based on the high price tag.

He's a brilliant man, I think he's done his job, and maybe it's time for him to move on.
    Oh there is no question he is a brilliant man, and I do respect him, but he rested on his laurels. He honestly believed that the market would never change, and that consumers and business would always love his product. I don't think he really knows what his next move will be.

We'd all be under the evil hand of Microsoft and WinCE if it wasn't for him. You gotta thank him for being a rebel against the Imperial Troops.
    I don't think we are even in danger from the Evil Empire. PocketPC is more a danger to itself than Palm.
    Originally posted by dampeoples

If Palm died, what would happen to the Palm OS? I don't think they're going anywhere.
    Not that I agree with the original poster, but with the hardware and OS portions of Palm splitting, it is conceivable that the OS division would survive and the hardware division would die, under the original posters scenario. then, the OS part could be bought out by Sony.

However, I don't really see this happening.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I don't think we are even in danger from the Evil Empire. PocketPC is more a danger to itself than Palm.
    Yea, not anymore, but I meant if he didn't come up with graffiti and the original Palm Pilot, we definately wouldn't be where we are today. WinCE would have still developed, though definately not to where it is today, because they wouldn't have has as fierce comeptition. When Microsoft has no competition, they sit around and do nothing, LOL. So, you gotta give him credit for that...and his company, Handspring has done some neat things with the OS. The Visor was the first PDA I ever wanted, ended up with a IIIc, have to tell you guys that story some other time. They developed 65,000 color capability, the first memory card drives for PalmOS came from Handspring's springboard, it was geeks like us that made it though! They did do some neat things with the OS...but I still think Sony has done the most innovation
    nelson.hsieh
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12