Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. nrs
    I'm afraid I'm going to catch hell for making this post, as others have, but I hope that this post is insightful and helpful to those that have pres and those that are interested in purchasing them. I canceled my AT&T contract, ported my numbers to Sprint, sold my iPhones, bought two new Palm Pre's and then returned them, canceled Sprint, and ported my numbers back to AT&T. My previous phone was an iPhone and a lot of the comparisons I make about the pre are to my iPhone - if you hate Apple or aren't open minded enough to realize a comparison could be made, please don't flame me for it.

Background:

I have been a user of AT&T Wireless for appx 11 years. Started out in the Chicago area with Cellular One which became Cingular which is now AT&T. I have worked in the industry in both a retail sales and technical training capacity though I now work in IT as a systems analyst. My primary phone was some version of Blackberry for the past 4 or so years (8700 > 8800 > 8310 > 8320) until I purchased an iPhone 3G this past January. I actually stood in line (ok, sat in a camping chair) outside (ok, inside the mall) at the local AT&T store on the day the original iPhone came out. I returned it in about 2 weeks for various reasons including poor alert notification options and poor email choices (imap push only supported on mac.com and yahoo accounts) and returned to using my Blackberry curve. I have tried Sprint once in the past, maybe about 6 or 7 years ago, this was when Sprints answer to SMS was a website that they would launch on the browser within the phone - not impressed more by the phone than anything else I returned it and just kept using Cingular.

Decision to move to Sprint:

My wife and I have been fighting with AT&T and our iPhones for some time now. I absolutely love the iPhone for an entertainment device, feel that it is ok for a messaging device (not a fan of the on screen keyboard) and think the form factor and design are good as well. However I did notice my iPhone 3G slowing down a bit the more I used it - my wife upgraded recently to an iPhone 3Gs and this seemed to fix her slowness problems, along with giving improved battery life. One of the places that the iPhone falls short is as an actual phone - mainly due to AT&T's network. I always feel like I'm not being heard very well when I'm talking on my iPhone. I never feel comfortable taking an important business call on my phone for fear of not being able to be heard by the other party. It's a no brainer when you choose to record your outgoing message for voice mail from a land line or other phone because it sounds so bad when you do it from your iPhone. We have always - for the length of having an iPhone had issues with call failed when trying to call numbers, these seem to be random in both time / date occurred and frequency. My wife and I recently had our first child and the amount of phone calls we make has increased significantly. We had two issues, one) my wife was visiting her family with the baby out of state while I remained home and tried to call me several times throughout the day but could not get a hold of me most of the day, just went to voice mail after 4 rings but nothing on my side; two) trying to call the pediatrician to ask a question about our son and kept getting called failed over and over.

We knew we needed to move - we were still under contract but with Sprint being significantly less expensive than AT&T we would save about $40 a month - making the break even point on paying off our early termination fees just under 7 months, well worth it when you consider we might be able to make phone calls with our new Sprint service. The reason I looked at Sprint versus other carriers was price and the insistence of my wife to have a touch screen phone that wasn't a Blackberry or windows mobile phone. I feel strongly that Sprint and the Palm Pre offer excellent value to customers with reasonably priced voice and data plans and good built in features / options that would cost money elsewhere.

Why we moved back to AT&T:

The Network: The Sprint network isn't that much better than AT&T. Is it faster? yes, in my experience it was slightly faster than AT&T, and the Pre renders web pages more quickly than any device I've ever seen. Reception was a bit flakey - there were several spots where I had AT&T coverage before but no Sprint coverage, on the other hand while making a trip to St Louis I had excellent coverage along the highway, something AT&T did not have. I also had a weird problem where my phone would be sitting on my desk and the signal strength would flip between full signal and one to two bars without any external interference. HOWEVER call quality was GREATLY increased - I felt like I could hear the other person much better than on my iPhone. I occasionally got some lag or stutter when talking on the Pre but this was only when speaking with Sprint customer care so perhaps it was their actual system in the call center and not my phone.

The OS: WebOS is solidly ok - but it definitely has signs of being a version 1 piece of software. Certain features are either missing or not where you would expect to find them, case in point - ringer and notification options. I found the OS to be slow and lag at times. This was especially true when trying to answer phone calls and when trying to clear notifications or switch cards. I had originally rooted my phone in order to tether but wiped it clean and kept it with the factory state to see if this resolved my issues, however it did not. The applications selection is very very poor. I understand that the phone is new, the SDK was just released, etc - however they should of been better about getting the SDK out to developers BEFORE they launched the phone and they should be accepting applications by now. If they're willing to have an app store and accept orders for phones they should be willing to accept submissions to the store. Synergy is very nice and worked perfectly for me, though I might add be careful about what it's doing to your contacts in GMail - I noticed that everything looked great on my phone but there was some confusion and mixing up of contacts in GMail. The messaging feature with built in AIM and Google Talk is great and works very well. Over the entire entire phone reminds me of iPhone Gen 1 - great concepts, great idea but missing some key components - almost like it was rushed out the door.

The Hardware: My wife’s phone was all right for the most part except for one huge glaring problem that happened to both of our phones: BATTERY LIFE IS HORRIBLE! - nothing much else I can say, Pres battery life makes the iPhone look like a champ.

I found the build quality pretty lacking. The design is great but the edges are sharp and I encountered the oreo cookie effect after about one week. My Pre also started randomly restarting itself after about a week as well - this is not a battery door issue; it would be sitting on my desk and I would look over and it would be sitting at the Palm logo rebooting. I am disappointed that Palm has enough sense to quietly fix these problems in newer builds but won't officially recall the old ones and fix them too. If it's a big enough issue to start putting little pieces of foam in the battery slot and change the battery around and make other changes then it's a big enough issue to fix them all across the board, instead of leaving customers to return phones in hopes of finding a new one. I think the idea of having to dig through boxes of supposedly 'new' phones to find one to your liking absolutely ridiculous.

Bottom Line:

iPhone users: If you're an iPhone user on AT&T and are fed up with AT&Ts network issues and you're only a casual user of your iPhone you might find that the Palm Pre is the phone for you. The email experience is close to the same, the calendaring is actually a bit better and the messaging app does things the iPhone can't do (its free and runs in the background.) Things that cost money on AT&T are free on Sprint (see the value section) and the service does seem to be cheaper (at least in our case) so if you're not in love with your iPhone and don't have any must have apps it might be a good fit.

Sprint users: You're already a customer but maybe you want a new phone? I might hold off until the touch 2 comes out and get an idea of the situation then - unless you hate windows mobile (which is a fair enough thing) then try a Pre on for size.

Anyone else: I'm not going to try to compare every phone under the sun to the Palm Rre - make a decision for yourself. If you're someone who does not currently have a smart phone of any kind and you *need* one then I would consider the Pre but I might wait until the next software release to see if some issues get ironed out.

Value: Sprint and the everything data packages that go along with the Pre are an excellent value, when compared with the iPhone

I think in the end I really missed the iPhones interface - the fact that I did not have any build or quality issues with the phone and I missed the browsing experience and the app selection.

ATT:

Phone: iPhone 3Gs $199 (16GB)/iPhone 3G $99 (8GB)
    Service: 1400 Mins Family Talk w Unlim Data - $149.99
    Texting: $20 unlim SMS - NO MMS
    Turn by Turn GPS: $99 Tom Tom APP plus Map Updates OR $9.99 month (ATT/Telenav)
    Contact / Cal Backup: Mobile Me (provides other services) $99 per year per phone

Sprint
    Phone: $150 (8GB)
    Service: 1500 Mins Family Talk w Unlim Data - $129.99
    Texting: Included with above plan
    Turn by Turn GPS: Included
    Contact / Cal Backup: Included

Read the forum - check out the problems people have posted, check out the solutions people have posted and make a decision your self. For us - it wasn't the phone and it wasn't the "iPhone killer" I would just make sure you know two things:

• Battery life is poor
    • Build quality is poor - make sure your phone is 'good' before your 30 days is up, otherwise you're stuck for a year.
    Last edited by nrs; 08/20/2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Thoughtful, yes.

Your argument, while valid for you, does not necessarily represent the views many others.

1 - For many, the battery life isn't an issue. Lasts through the day for a majority of users.

2 - Build quality. This may be an issue for some, but not for most. I think the build issues are overblown. Also, the issues that have been reported seem to be dwindling due to Palm making some tweeks to the build.

***** The edges are sharp ***** Show me where it even came close to scratching you.

3 - Network. This is the only thing that might be helpful for others. However, it will only be helpfull for others who live near you. Sprint/Verizon/ATT all have their network issues. They also all have 30 day trial periods. Use the 30 days to figure it out.

All told, I hope you enjoy your Iphone and ATT. Just be ready for the flaming to begin. This is a Palm Pre site afterall.
    I don't see the point of this or any of the goodbye posts. If I don't like a product I get something else and I'm done with the whole things.

And that whole 'sharp edges' thing is just about THE most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The edges are angled, yes, but not sharp. This statement alone speaks TROLL.

Oh! I just realized I now know the point of this post.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I always thought the sharp edges thing was a bit ridiculous (Gizmodo's cheese slicer example... just stupid).

You know if I throw an iPhone hard enough at someone it will mess them up. Hey I bet I could totally tenderize some meat with it too!
    He did think it out, and to him he wanted to go back to AT&T and the iPhone. That is fine.

As for build quality and battery life, each person has different experiences.

I was one of those that did get a few bad ones, which Sprint gladly exchanged and went out of the way to make sure I was happy. The Pre I have now works fine and no problems with build(ie, oreo effect, restart, etc).

As for the battery. I have noticed from the beginning of when I got the Pre, till now, each day the battery life gets better. For example, yesterday I talked on the phone for a few hours (sister's birthday), surfed the web, played Pandora and listened to some Podcasts. By 9 PM last night I still had 65% remaining. Earlier on when I got the Pre, the same usage would leave me at 20%. So the battery life is improving.

The main reason I have been with Sprint is because of their plans. My same plan that I have would cost almost double at AT&T or Verizon. I been with Sprint 11 years.

I have never really had coverage problems. I live in the Northeast and have traveled down South as far as Florida, driving of course, through all parts, and never lost reception. And of course if I went out of range of the Sprint network, I would be able to roam for free of course, so I wouldn't have to worry about coverage.

But, again, everyone's opinions are there own. Thank you for sharing your experience and good luck. The iPhone 3GS is a good phone,(well not great as an actual phone when it comes to making phone calls) but has everything else you could ever want in a phone.

I have to get back to slicing some cheese for my guests. (Sorry, I had to add a little sense of humor.)
    Not To Burn Anyone But:

The technology differences between GSM and CDMA imho is more then enough reason to never go to att unless you really enjoy having to check your voicemail all the time because you miss calls. GSM building penetration is horrible....ever been to like a walmart and tried talking on an att or tmobile phone??? How about a commercial office building? Its a total joke.

Att and tmobile both have extremely slow 3g (tested it side by side with my aircard and speedtest.net) convinced multiple people to toss the att card and go buy a sprint card.

Att is way overpriced. Tmobile's "customer service" consists of yeah well sorry we cant help you or phones freezing = new battery?? wtf

Pre is two months old everyone acts like its a shock that somethings dont work quite right. Here's a good example; when a new car model comes out they have build problems so they warranty the car and fix it for you. No one complains about that, thats just what you get when you go buy that sweet new model car. ... my fingers hurt now though from all the cuts on my fingers from sliding my pre open all day so i gotta go change my hello kitty band aids
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    Besides the fact that most of that post was totally preference based and area based, it seems ridiculous that he couldn't have just posted to the 100 other posts of people whining and going back to their iphones. Iphone isn't a terrible phone, but for most of us we either 1) get crappy service with AT&T, 2) don't want to get raped by the ridiculous price of an iphone plan, and/or 3) like the features/keyboard/etc of the Pre waaaaay better than the iphone.

Personally I fall into the category that likes everything better about Sprint and the Pre over AT&T and the Iphone.
    I would never go to AT&T for many reasons, but I did play with a Pre in the store and I found it to be sharp as well. Not so sharp that it would keep me from buying a Pre, but sharp enough that I considered it uncomfortable.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    Did AT&T hire some professional trolls to post semi-thoughtful essays on why people should stay on their overpriced ****ty network?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Obviously they obviously did
  12. nrs
    The post really is not meant to be a troll - I thought things out and tried to explain my reasons behind each statement.

I *do* see the point in goodbye posts for this reason:
    When I was looking at purchasing a Palm Pre this site was one of the first that came up in my searches. My decision to purchase the Pre was based on in formation I found here.

I never said I got scratched by the phone, but the bottom edge is sharp - it digs into your hand a bit depending on how you hold it and is not comfortable. It's not dangerous safety or otherwise, it's just something worth mentioning design wise.

My network experiences are absolutely location based - my location is clearly listed in my profile - Indianapolis, IN.
    So my question is: if my phone battery drops about 5% and heats up while watching a 4 minute clip on Youtube in the heart of New York City (great signal quality), do i have a lemon? Cause I feel your pain OP.
    11 posts and he wrote a novel as goodbye?

Steve Youtube is def. battery drainer but i haven't really seen that much in terms of battery lose with youtube.
    It trips me when people say that palm is slow in luanching their sdk and getting apps out the phone has been out for 3 months. And the fact that its stiil missing features it took the god phone 3 years to get that update. Come on be real its a good phone stop hateing
    People aren't hating, they just got caught in the hype and wanted the phone to do everything.

When in fact, every phone has short comings, so the phone wasn't for him. But i don't know why he thought people would really care if he is going ack to AT&T....no offense.
    Gen one iphone now that's really funny when my phone runs smoothly has an interface to me that's better than an iphone. And bye the way true multitasking is more than playing a song in the background
    Thank you soooooooooooooo much for the long goodbye!!...Enjoy your Iphone!!...it really is a great phone!!
    Two points. 1) I have had worse call drops on CDMA Sprint than any GSM carrier that I ever used, all due to crappy Treo phones. 2) If I had a new car that had a history that many of the Pre users on this forum complain about, I'd be getting rid of it as a lemon. Too bad there is no such thing as a lemon law for cell phones. You never, ever sell a product until it's been test marketed, which Palm didn't do. Why do you think the auto makers have car shows and show concept cars? I considered getting a Pre, but right now it doesn't do what I need a phone to do for me. Simple as that. Flame me if you want to, but it's my honest opinion, and if you can't handle it, at least respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidminor03 View Post
    Not To Burn Anyone But:

The technology differences between GSM and CDMA imho is more then enough reason to never go to att unless you really enjoy having to check your voicemail all the time because you miss calls. GSM building penetration is horrible....ever been to like a walmart and tried talking on an att or tmobile phone??? How about a commercial office building? Its a total joke.

Att and tmobile both have extremely slow 3g (tested it side by side with my aircard and speedtest.net) convinced multiple people to toss the att card and go buy a sprint card.

Att is way overpriced. Tmobile's "customer service" consists of yeah well sorry we cant help you or phones freezing = new battery?? wtf

Pre is two months old everyone acts like its a shock that somethings dont work quite right. Here's a good example; when a new car model comes out they have build problems so they warranty the car and fix it for you. No one complains about that, thats just what you get when you go buy that sweet new model car. ... my fingers hurt now though from all the cuts on my fingers from sliding my pre open all day so i gotta go change my hello kitty band aids
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I guess T|C has become a place where only people who call other people trolls are the only ones that matter? Just like you have an opinion, so does the O.P.

Concerning the **** or chin of the Pre, it is definitely sharp.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast