Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86
  1. afortiori's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #61  
    As for the build of the Pre, ever try to hold an iPhone to your ear with your shoulder while doing something with your hands? The build of the iPhone is not conducive to such a situation, thank goodness that they FINALLY have bluetooth. Battery life sucks on the Pre? Get a Seidio battery! I just got mine this week and quite honestly, I don't plan on ever using the factory Pre batter ever! The Seidio is an awesome investment and definitely worth it for anyone who is a heavy net/SMS user - nevermind the pricetag of $45, buy a couple of iPhone apps (or turn by turn GPS, which we have for free!) and you break even. The Sprint network is without a doubt WAY better than AT&T; as a former iPhone user I should know, since being with Sprint from the Pre's launch date, I've had only 2 dropped calls, one of which happened in an elevator and the other out in the middle of the Florida Everglades. Personally speaking, there are only a few things that I miss from my iPhone but, I know that the Pre will eventually catch up with Apple and then then the true comparisons can begin!
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs View Post
    The post really is not meant to be a troll - I thought things out and tried to explain my reasons behind each statement.

    I *do* see the point in goodbye posts for this reason:
    When I was looking at purchasing a Palm Pre this site was one of the first that came up in my searches. My decision to purchase the Pre was based on in formation I found here.

    I never said I got scratched by the phone, but the bottom edge is sharp - it digs into your hand a bit depending on how you hold it and is not comfortable. It's not dangerous safety or otherwise, it's just something worth mentioning design wise.

    My network experiences are absolutely location based - my location is clearly listed in my profile - Indianapolis, IN.
    Dude,
    Looks like you have dispensable income to buy phone. **** your issues can only fixed if APPLE custom orders a phone to fit your needs.

    I can agree with network, the rest is not needed.
    You complain about missing features on Pre, talk about "CUT" and "PASTE".

    Thanks for the post , but no thanks. Forum member here have a basin understanding of the phone and did their due diligent research prior to buying the phone.

    You either didn't do that research , or doesn't understand what you need.
    No offense but , coming from ATT/ iPhone , you should have been an informed consumer.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidminor03 View Post
    ..The technology differences between GSM and CDMA imho is more then enough reason to never go to att unless you really enjoy having to check your voicemail all the time because you miss calls. GSM building penetration is horrible....ever been to like a walmart and tried talking on an att or tmobile phone??? How about a commercial office building? Its a total joke....
    Although there are many advantages of CDMA over GSM, I believe the issue of building penetration has more to do with frequency than technology. The lower the frequency, the better the penetration. 800mhz is going penetrate better than 1900mhz. The Navy used ELF (extremely low frequency) to communicate with submarines.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  4. #64  
    Oh Jeez! Another one of these threads?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I don't see the point of this or any of the goodbye posts. If I don't like a product I get something else and I'm done with the whole things.

    And that whole 'sharp edges' thing is just about THE most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The edges are angled, yes, but not sharp. This statement alone speaks TROLL.

    Oh! I just realized I now know the point of this post.
    Yep, and you already posted on it.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs View Post
    I never said I got scratched by the phone, but the bottom edge is sharp - it digs into your hand a bit depending on how you hold it and is not comfortable.
    I hate a number of things about my Pre (see below) but I can't think of a way that I would hold my phone that would cause the sharp edges to cause any sort of problem. The *only* time I remember that there are sharp edges are when someone else complains about them. I really don't get the sharp edges thing.

    That said, here are my primary complaints about my Pre:
    1. It's too S....L...O...W! The slowness to respond sometimes causes me to miss incoming phone calls. The OS won't respond quick enough before Sprint sends it to voicemail.
    2. The oreo twist thing drives me batty. Makes me feel like it's a LittleTikes Pre instead of a Palm Pre.
    3. The battery life is unbelievably frustrating. I have to turn on/off bluetooth, wifi, gps to maximize life. What a PITA.
    4. Since 1.1, random crashes cause me to miss phone calls.


    Most of these are software issues that I hope will be fixed someday. But for now, I go between liking the phone, and (when I miss a call due to one of the above issues) wanting to throw it at a wall in the vain hopes that it will feel pain commensurate with the frustration it's caused me.

    Yeah, yeah, anger management, whatever.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Unfortunately, the masses don't give a crap about notifications or push Gmail.

    They might after they've experienced both, but first they have to be convinced to actually buy a Pre. And Palm fails to recognize or market what the features the masses desire most. Hint: The Pre has these desired features but people remain ignorant of them.

    Me: I really like the notifications that the Pre has.

    Friend: Huh?

    Me: You know..you get an email or text and it lets you know without disrupting you..say if you're browsing the web.

    Friend: I don't care about email. But I don't get it. Disrupting me? Oh, and you said web browser? The Pre has one? Is it like the iphone's?

    Me: Yep, same browser as iphone, multitouch, pinch to zoom, all that.

    Friend: Cool...but i think i'll go with the iphone since that plays music too.

    Me: ...
    The problem is, there is nothing that Palm can do to win over a majority of iPhone users. I know people with iPhones who refuse to even look at my Pre. They don't care about the iPhone's shortcomings, and Apple knows that. I wouldn't infer that Palm shouldn't be doing things to make like easier for people that care more about practicality than being part of the hip crowd.

    One of the IT guys in my office is on the fence; doesn't care for Apple at all, and isn't really crazy about his iPhone, but all of the other guys in IT have iPhones. He's actually told me several times that he loves the Pre interface and complained about how clunky and expensive the iPhone is. He came into my office yesterday to ask me about my Pre again, and said he's probably going to get one for his wife.

    Even when they acknowledge the advantages, it's hard to leave the cult.

    My battery life is actually pretty good, and yet I did go out and get a Seido battery to make sure I have enough juice when I travel, and now have a spare that I can use in emergencies. I like that I have the choice.
  8. Eazy123's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #68  
    A sharp edge? Some of you babies really need to toughen up. It's not even CLOSE to being a sharp edge. The freakin' iPod Touch 1g had a sharper edge, you didn't hear people whining about that.
  9. #69  
    If there were a rounded edge instead of a "sharp" edge, you would complain about the space that is left open at the bottom of your phone.

    "I keep getting pocket fuzz in my phone", you'd say.

    Some people are just not happy unless they're not happy. Yeah, that's it.
  10. Eazy123's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #70  
    Like with the Oreo thing too. The phone's made of plastic. If the shoes were on the rails so tight the phone wouldn't open. There needs to be some give. But I guess OCD is a beeyatch and people can't deal with it.
  11. #71  
    I have to agree with those who warn about the flaming.

    If you consider this a 1st class forum and Pre resource (I certainly want it to be) you should remember that its public.

    People want to trust it as a source of info (me included), but the flaming just damages the credibility of not only those individual members, but of the forum...maybe not to the flamers, but to most of the rest of us.

    I have been Palm/Sprint exclusively since the Treo 300 thru the 755p. Trust me, I want the Pre to be what it can be...but even I have held off after all the issues.

    I couldn't wait till it came out either, but I didn't need it day 1, and I'm glad I waited. I still want it to be my next phone instead of the iPhone, but right now, I think waiting is a good thing.

    The guy who started this thread wrote a well written opinion. He didn't claim to be an expert, but if you really want people to consider purchasing the Pre you should write back with the same quality post as he did. People reading this thread see a few Palm fans here respecting and responding to him, but the take home message of this thread is that most of the Pre fans here are defensive and rude...lending credence to the hesitation to trust what's said here.

    Live in your world and look down your noses if you want, but everyone can read here. You hurt the cause more than help.

    There are issues with the phone, most of them pointed out by loyal Palm enthusiasts and brought to light first on this very forum.

    I want to see the Pre succeed and improve. I want it to sell well, and this means appealing to the "educated masses".

    I'm a doctor boarded in 2 specialties...I'm smart...but I don't know much at all about many of the nuances of technology of either the phone or network. Still, I know more than Joe 6 Pack. You need lots of us buying this phone to make it a success, and this thread doesn't help your cause. Don't try to make someone look like an ***** because they don't know as much as you...they may be smarter than you think (or than you act).

    Thanks to those who respond with discussion rather than vitriol and sarcasm...I still want a Pre rather than an iPhone.
  12. #72  
    I was a hardcore iPhone user, meaning I used it 100% for what it was for and I hated it. I still have it and use it as a paper weight now. The Pre is the best thing for me so far.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffandpamsmith View Post
    I have to agree with those who warn about the flaming.

    If you consider this a 1st class forum and Pre resource (I certainly want it to be) you should remember that its public.

    People want to trust it as a source of info (me included), but the flaming just damages the credibility of not only those individual members, but of the forum...maybe not to the flamers, but to most of the rest of us.

    I have been Palm/Sprint exclusively since the Treo 300 thru the 755p. Trust me, I want the Pre to be what it can be...but even I have held off after all the issues.

    I couldn't wait till it came out either, but I didn't need it day 1, and I'm glad I waited. I still want it to be my next phone instead of the iPhone, but right now, I think waiting is a good thing.

    The guy who started this thread wrote a well written opinion. He didn't claim to be an expert, but if you really want people to consider purchasing the Pre you should write back with the same quality post as he did. People reading this thread see a few Palm fans here respecting and responding to him, but the take home message of this thread is that most of the Pre fans here are defensive and rude...lending credence to the hesitation to trust what's said here.

    Live in your world and look down your noses if you want, but everyone can read here. You hurt the cause more than help.

    There are issues with the phone, most of them pointed out by loyal Palm enthusiasts and brought to light first on this very forum.

    I want to see the Pre succeed and improve. I want it to sell well, and this means appealing to the "educated masses".

    I'm a doctor boarded in 2 specialties...I'm smart...but I don't know much at all about many of the nuances of technology of either the phone or network. Still, I know more than Joe 6 Pack. You need lots of us buying this phone to make it a success, and this thread doesn't help your cause. Don't try to make someone look like an ***** because they don't know as much as you...they may be smarter than you think (or than you act).

    Thanks to those who respond with discussion rather than vitriol and sarcasm...I still want a Pre rather than an iPhone.
    Thank you.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  14. #74  
    Tis so funny! The iPhone is a great mini game console! The phone part was just the icing on the "cupcake." ATT service just plain ____. Then the $$$$ you have to give em to actually use the phone. ROFL! U can have it!
  15. #75  
    From your perspective, his opinions are not facts. From his perspective, they are. That is what helped him determine to follow the course of action that he did. I read the entire first post, and never had the impression that he was on a soap box or trying to dissuade people for following his actions. He gave a logical, well thought explanation for his actions, and his reasoning. That is one of the things I enjoy about his forum is the exchange of not just technical information, but also the things that do and don't work for all contributors. I call it the "geekiness" factor. One of the reasons I stick around even thought I don't have a Pre is I hope that Palm will eventually have a product that will make me want to give up my BB and use a Pre. I also have an iPhone, but the reason I have it is not so much for the phone, but the apps that are available for it. It's a tool that I've come to depend on. The one app I really is the MLB.com app, which lets me listen to the live audio of any game that is being played, for $9.99/year. When apps like that start showing up on the Pre (or Pre II or Pre III), then it'll become a more viable option.



    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Good for you. Really do hope that you get what you wanted out of this. The biggest issue with your original post is that your generalizations and assumptions made it sound like you felt this was the case for everyone. This is why you were called a troll, because this information is uselss when dealing in generalities. Here is how you should have stated your issue:

    1 - I am returning my Pre and going back to ATT

    a - For me the Sprint and the Pre fell short of what I wanted
    b - My particular Pre/Pre's had some defects that weren't what
    I felt were worth my time dealing with.
    c - Sprint did not have the coverage I wanted in (city, State) and
    although ATT was bad too, I felt it was better than Sprint in my
    area.
    d - For me, the best alternative on ATT was the Iphone, as most, if
    not all other phones couldn't do what the Pre/Iphone could.

    The above are your stated issues presented in a way that might be helpful. It's not suprising, therefore, that you have received several less than happy responses to your original post as it was filled with one large glaring error: Your opinion is not fact.

    If there are others who find themselves in your very statistally miniscule shoes, then this helps. Otherwise it receives the flame thrower treatment.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Thank you so much for this info. At first I did not know what you were talking about then I grabbed the phone and geuss what? I got cut. I was in the emergency room for 4 hours and they put 6 staples in my thumb.

    Already called my lawyer about it. Looks like I should get about 2 million for this.

    THANK YOU AGAIN FOR POINTING THIS OUT!!!.

    Without you pointing this out I would not of been able to start the lawsuit

    Thank you

    Michael
    Sometimes it best to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Although there are many advantages of CDMA over GSM, I believe the issue of building penetration has more to do with frequency than technology. The lower the frequency, the better the penetration. 800mhz is going penetrate better than 1900mhz. The Navy used ELF (extremely low frequency) to communicate with submarines.
    One of the reasons that Nextel has had such success with their direct connect.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    From your perspective, his opinions are not facts. From his perspective, they are. That is what helped him determine to follow the course of action that he did. I read the entire first post, and never had the impression that he was on a soap box or trying to dissuade people for following his actions. He gave a logical, well thought explanation for his actions, and his reasoning. That is one of the things I enjoy about his forum is the exchange of not just technical information, but also the things that do and don't work for all contributors. I call it the "geekiness" factor. One of the reasons I stick around even thought I don't have a Pre is I hope that Palm will eventually have a product that will make me want to give up my BB and use a Pre. I also have an iPhone, but the reason I have it is not so much for the phone, but the apps that are available for it. It's a tool that I've come to depend on. The one app I really is the MLB.com app, which lets me listen to the live audio of any game that is being played, for $9.99/year. When apps like that start showing up on the Pre (or Pre II or Pre III), then it'll become a more viable option.

    bingo.

    I didn't buy the Pre when it first debuted. I let others be guinea pigs and help me adjust my expectations, accordingly, or decide not to get it. Now I've got it and I'm not super-pissed when I encounter the things other people complained about.

    It may sound silly but it's almost like their sacrifice (which it may have been for some earlt adopters) made it possible for me to *enjoy* and be patient with the Pre.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. #79  
    I like what they did on another forum regarding 'goodbye' threads, they just stuck them under a sticky appropriately titled. The same can be done for whine, uh, complaint threads. It helps to keep the clutter down and keep the forum focused. This is the king of Pre forums, but it's tiring having to wade through tons of threads complaining about the very same thing to find something interesting.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  20. Owensdus's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #80  
    Hey I still like my iphone, but just as an mp3 player LoL. I had mine on TMO though, and it was super slow.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions