Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    am a mac person first pc second for work, i bought the pre on launch day and paid retail for it here in Los Angeles, i have had att tmo and sprint now and to be honest i have had better signal with sprint then with att and tmo, yes sprint still does not have as many phones *** att and the others , the iphone is a apple produt first att product second and we all know that apple is notorious for feeding people the idea that the new gadget they are coming out with is the must have, its the new thing they have great people to push products example the new laptops now they have a sd slot woooow this is not a new thing pc have had that for years but loyal mac people see that and say yeah thats new and mac is always in the forefront on technology , and thats not always true the iphone is a great gadget not always a great phone people think just because its on the biggest network and has many features its the best just look at the number of commercials att and mac put out showing the newest app .. the pre is not the iphone killer the only thing that can kill the iphone is the mass prprpr $pushing$ $it$ $now$ $what$ $the$ $pre$ $is$ $a$ $great$ $new$ $phone$ $that$ $the$ $cell$ $industry$ $is$ $looking$ $very$ $very$ $close$ $for$ $the$ $next$ $new$ $thing$ $to$ $do$
    I have FULL EVDO coverage 99% of the time. I live in new jersey and sprint is by for the best here. My GF has an iPhone and she has pretty good cover too. she drops calls more often and her phone is def slower than mine over wifi. Either phone is a good choice where I live but having a lot of experience with both I choose the pre. iPhone is played out imo.
    I agree with the OP regarding location but my experience is the opposite from yours. I had an iPhone in Portland, OR and the reception was just **itty. I had to force the phone to GSM so I wouldn't miss calls. Also, 3G was so unreliable that I had to switch my phone again to use EDGE but still had to pay for the higher data plan for having a 3G phone.

If the iPhone and the AT&T had worked as advertised (fewest dropped calls etc., fastest 3G network etc.), I probably would have stayed with them.

So far I'm happy with my Pre (no dropped calls, fast 3G and awesome build quality).

Go with a phone that works for you and if it's the iPhone, then so be it. Good luck to you.
    Well I for 1 carry a AT&T phone for work and the pre for personal use. The AT&T runs around on 3g has pretty good coverage. My Sprint area is still nursing along on 1x so yes I could see a change if I was not on such a good Sprint plan.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    The edges are a bit sharp and can dig into your hand???!!!!?? PLEASE!!!!! First of all the so called sharp edge is pointed up so how the heck are you holding your phone?? There are so many holes in this post. Did you ever try to exchange your Pre and get a better one or did you just run back to AT&T so they can rape your wallet and you can have a phone you cannot even hear on? Preference is preference and that is fine, I respect that but don't use the excuse that the edge is sharp...LOL LOL LOL. By the way since you were comparing prices,memory and quality here is one for you. When I bought the Original Iphone in '07 I paid $500 for a 4 gig (There was no subsidy) as opposed to $199 for an 8 gig Pre. The Iphone could not send picture messages out of the box... oh wait, it still can't. The Pre can. We may have limited apps for the Pre but THERE WERE NO APPS FOR THE IPHONE AT LAUNCH or for a while after. The Iphone did not and still does not have a flash for the camera, the Pre does. My Iphone developed a green streak down one side of the screen and and the screen began to bubble and that was a week after buying it. The Iphone does not now nor did it ever have a removable battery
    You have to buy the battery and pay to have it sent out to replace it! But don't worry they will RENT you a phone. These are comparisons between a first gen Palm device and a first and 3rd gen Apple device. How did palm stack up?? It trounced the first gen Apple and held its own with the 3rd gen. Let's not even get started on plan prices!!! Sorry for the rant and enjoy AT&T sincerely.
    Last edited by kcs7272; 08/20/2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    I am also thinking of going back to AT&T, I miss the smoothness of the interface of the iphone. I had the 1st gen iphone (stolen in europe) and the 3G iphone (stolen in LA), so instead of having the most desirable phone to get it stolen yet again, I decided to get the Palm Pre instead of the 3GS. I wanted to try something different, and give crapple some competition.

I also bought the Pre on launch day at a sprint store in Los Angeles. The signal is GREAT in LA. I haven't ever had a single dropped call in the city. However when I travel to other smaller cities, i get dropped calls all the time, whereas with AT&T when I was in smaller cities I usually still had good coverage.

My corporate email will not work with the Pre. I am trying to use SSL IMAP to connect to my company's Lotus Notes server. I had to manually add my company's self signed cert to Palm's certificate store on the phone. It will not fetch the messages in each mail folder. It worked fine on my iPwn. I have been messing with the gstreamer on the Pre in my spare time working on video recording, which the 3GS has natively. Additionally the slider is pretty loose on my phone, though its not as bad as some of the pics I've seen. I am going to wait a few more months and see if some better apps/update come out for the Pre. I don't want to leave a linux platform =) . Otherwise if im still not happy in a few months or so its bye bye Sprint/Pre.
    Is this like a dear john letter to palm? Where the hell do tool bags like this come from ???Who has the time to conder up all of that crap? Bottom line... try the pre... If you dont like it take it back in 29 days ...It is "the iphone killer" But unfortunately palm has done a horible job marketing it ...
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    This post actually made me want to stick with Pre more. After my wife got her iPhone, I got a chance to play with it and liked it so much that I started thinking what if I get an iPhone also. But this post reminded me all the reasons I need to stick with Sprint and Palm, the plan. ATT is too expense for me, because I use data a lot. Maybe with Wifi, I can avoid using as much data, but still adding up all the features I get from Sprint, it ends up way more expensive to move to ATT.

One thing that still worries me about Pre is Apps. Let's say only 10% of iPhone's 30,000 apps are good quality useful apps, that's still 3000. I sure hope Palm will push harder on adding apps, and maybe more open to the developers than Apple. I think it is just ridiculous that people have to rely on homebrew apps. They should open more of WebOS and just let the world add more things to it. Palm can have a review program that tell users which ones they believe are safe or pass the most basic security check. But let the end users decide if we want to take the risks. Anyway, I hate to see Palm turn into another Apple.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    So if I understand the OP, he went back to a self-admitted crappier network, and he's paying alot more money to do it. Yep, that's a good reason to go back. Lol. Not.
  10. nrs
    I guess I shouldn't be but I'm disappointed in those who just want to dismiss this as a troll or just flame me. If you carefully read all of my post you'll see that I make a lot of great points for the Pre. AT&T *is* more expensive and the Pre *is* a better value. Some one mentioned that they were actually driven to keep the Pre after reading this - that's good, it makes complete sense. I did not seek to return my Pre to see about addressing the issues I had - I had already made up my mind.

For me the reason for coming to Sprint was the network and hopes that it could be better than AT&T, in this location; it wasn't. That was a huge part of my decision to return to AT&T. If you've already purchased a Pre and have 50+ posts on this forum, this post and thread probably isn't for you. If you haven't even registered or only have a few posts and have yet to buy a Pre I hope you find this thread very helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if people purchase a Pre based on my information. For many people on AT&T with an iPhone i hope this thread is helpful.
    I don't see the point of the post. I agree with others, why tell strangers you are leaving?
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs View Post
    I guess I shouldn't be but I'm disappointed in those who just want to dismiss this as a troll or just flame me. If you carefully read all of my post you'll see that I make a lot of great points for the Pre. AT&T *is* more expensive and the Pre *is* a better value. Some one mentioned that they were actually driven to keep the Pre after reading this - that's good, it makes complete sense. I did not seek to return my Pre to see about addressing the issues I had - I had already made up my mind.

For me the reason for coming to Sprint was the network and hopes that it could be better than AT&T, in this location; it wasn't. That was a huge part of my decision to return to AT&T. If you've already purchased a Pre and have 50+ posts on this forum, this post and thread probably isn't for you. If you haven't even registered or only have a few posts and have yet to buy a Pre I hope you find this thread very helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if people purchase a Pre based on my information. For many people on AT&T with an iPhone i hope this thread is helpful.
    Good for you. Really do hope that you get what you wanted out of this. The biggest issue with your original post is that your generalizations and assumptions made it sound like you felt this was the case for everyone. This is why you were called a troll, because this information is uselss when dealing in generalities. Here is how you should have stated your issue:

1 - I am returning my Pre and going back to ATT

a - For me the Sprint and the Pre fell short of what I wanted
    b - My particular Pre/Pre's had some defects that weren't what
    I felt were worth my time dealing with.
    c - Sprint did not have the coverage I wanted in (city, State) and
    although ATT was bad too, I felt it was better than Sprint in my
    area.
    d - For me, the best alternative on ATT was the Iphone, as most, if
    not all other phones couldn't do what the Pre/Iphone could.

The above are your stated issues presented in a way that might be helpful. It's not suprising, therefore, that you have received several less than happy responses to your original post as it was filled with one large glaring error: Your opinion is not fact.

If there are others who find themselves in your very statistally miniscule shoes, then this helps. Otherwise it receives the flame thrower treatment.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    First thing's first. Am I missing something here, or does everyone have to post their personal reasons for leaving the Pre and Sprint? If you made that decision, then live with it - I honestly speak for a couple people here that we probably could care less. There's really no point in posting a dramatic life changing decision about this and expect anything else but flame. This is a Palm Pre forum.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I think you should not be able to write post over 50 words unless you've posted more than 50 times. And yes the goodbye post are getting old, he posted 12 times and feels he needs to say goodbye as if we're all old friends.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Why is everyone so damn Hateful on this Forum?
    I don't think it's necessary to give a goodbye letter but he is throwing out his opinion. this site is way to harsh to posters. troll this and troll that. I am on 4 other forums for my other phones and the flaming that goes on in here can roast marshmellows. Seriously... these posts always get closed because someone has to throw the first stone and then it's just a full out battle. the mob behind the thrower gets more and more riled up. If the poster isn't saying something you like click back and go to the next post.

I got called a troll because I went through three pre's, 2 phones that were bad and I went and got a third. I was labeled a troll by a un named attacker because I was complaining about my phone not working or having defects. Yet every other posts in the forum is about defects and build quality... Without opinions this wouldn't be a forum it would be a cult... chill out
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs View Post

The design is great but the edges are sharp.
    Thank you so much for this info. At first I did not know what you were talking about then I grabbed the phone and geuss what? I got cut. I was in the emergency room for 4 hours and they put 6 staples in my thumb.

Already called my lawyer about it. Looks like I should get about 2 million for this.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR POINTING THIS OUT!!!.

Without you pointing this out I would not of been able to start the lawsuit

Thank you

Michael
    At least the OP is consistent. He/she returned the original iFauxn in 2 weeks. Who cares?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I feel for you man and I know you have to vent to see if other people are having similar problems. For me making a call is the worst of any phone on the pre. 2 - 3 seconds for the call card to come up. Then there is battery and and signal strength, it seems palm didn't think neither through before launch! So, even though I am not crazy enough to switch to ATT, I am going to wait and get the the TP2 when it drops next month.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post
    We may have limited apps for the Pre but THERE WERE NO APPS FOR THE IPHONE AT LAUNCH or for a while after.
    The iPhone also came out in 2007. It's 2009 now, you have to compete in the current market. Had the Pre came out in 2007 the way it is now, then that would have been different, it would have featured something few devices had at that time (elegant touch interface and full browser).

We get it, the current iPhone took two years to evolve, and the Pre will do the same in two years. However, if you are talking about competing in the current smartphone market, the Pre needs to develop a lot faster, because it doesn't have the same time iPhone had. It needs to start matching features soon or Palm isn't going to make it.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast