Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    You are talking cpus while I am talking look and feel to the consumer who is standing in the Sprint store trying to decide which phone to get.
    Again, time will tell, But I am very glad the HERO is coming soon! I went through a few Pres myself, and am now back to my BB while I wait it out.
    If look and feel is all that you care about then the HERO is tuff to beat. Heck they built it with a teflon coating and glass scratch proof screen. The iphone is also pretty solid in look and feel so you might want to check that one out.

I am an avid overclocker and PC junky so all i really care about is speed. I know that the Cortex A8 is the fastest mobile processor on the market and that is why i bought the Pre. Palm definitely needs to do a lot of work optimizing the UI and the apps but at least the browser is going full speed. The future is always brighter when you have fast hardware to build software on top of. When you start out with slow hardware it really leaves you no where to go.

Also many of us have overclocked or Pres to run at 600mhz instead of the default 500mhz to make the phone a little peppier. Sounds like you might benefit from this. Just look for one of the threads i started on cpu scaling.

Yes i know the Cortex A9's were announced today and defeated the intel atom processor in a few benchmarks but they will not be in mobile phones till june of next year (possibly the new iphone). BTW the Cortex A9's will be the first mobile phone processor to be an out-of-order procesor similar to what all the desktop based processor are today (the cortex A8 is in-order processor).
    re: Cortex A9

You have to admit that this is a minuscule segment of the market. Do you think Palm can survive by selling only to those who root and overclock their phones? While I think tweaking your phone is cool, this hobbyist segment represents probably .001 percent of the cell phone market. Not enough to float any company.

Seems to me that most people just want a phone that work well, battery lasts, looks cool, feels good, and has the apps they need. Just ask your non-techy friends (who represent 99.9 percent of the market) what they want in a phone. Raw cpu speed will not be on their list, The Cortex A9 won't be either.
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 09/16/2009 at 02:36 PM.
    number1pete....did overclocking really make the apps load quicker and the calendar move faster? I might be willing to try that. I am not a computer-wizard. What is the downside to doing that?
    Android with the SenseUI looks great. However I still like webOS's metaphor for a smartphone OS.

IMO, Android in itself seems like a better version of Windows Mobile's smartphone metaphor....I've already been there, done that...
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 09/16/2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Agreed, I like WebOS too.
    I saw last week the Hero first time in real (i live in Germany) and have to say....it looks very.....I don't like it. Oh, I saw the phone in a mobile shop, still no Hero sighting in the wild here. I could buy a Hero know, but I will wait one more month for the Pre, it's 10x better
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    number1pete....did overclocking really make the apps load quicker and the calendar move faster? I might be willing to try that. I am not a computer-wizard. What is the downside to doing that?
    yes it makes everything faster.

Two downsides:
    1. Battery life slightly decreased
    2. 6 seconds after you open the camera app there is a 1 second long freeze then its back to normal.

other than that it has been very beneficial to overclock. 600mhz is one of the speeds supported by the Cortex A8 so its not going to blow up or anything. See my other thread for the code to do this. Its just one line of code.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    yes it makes everything faster.

Two downsides:
    1. Battery life slightly decreased
    2. 6 seconds after you open the camera app there is a 1 second long freeze then its back to normal.

other than that it has been very beneficial to overclock. 600mhz is one of the speeds supported by the Cortex A8 so its not going to blow up or anything. See my other thread for the code to do this. Its just one line of code.
    What is the Linux protocol to overclock the cpu. Can you provide it here.

ujsc
    I was very interested in the hero when it was first announced for sprint. It looks like an awesome phone, and though I think palm will start catching up with the apps, I have to admit, I was tempted by having google's backing for apps. One BIG problem that I read about is that the hero is NOT truly a multitouch device...I read that the multitouch functions only worked with the HTC integrated apps (browser, etc). From my understanding, none of the google based apps will be capable of multitouch...This is one big downside for me. If I am misinformed, I will probably look at the hero closer too, but sometime down the line, right now I'm quite happy with my pre
    I didn't buy a Pre without waiting, and I won't buy a Hero without waiting.

I like the concept of the Pre far better but, for me, it's unfinished. It just doesn't yet do the things I rely on my Treo for. I hope it'll get there.

The Hero looks like a more complete, capable device right now, but until it's been out in the wild for a while, I don't know what it's faults will be. The lack of a physical keyboard is one. And I think I read that it's EAS sync is email only, and not the calendar. If true, that's a major FAIL.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I don't know what EAS is, but the Tour does offer syncing contacts with facebook and such services like the Pre does. And of course syncing with Google calendar, contacts, etc., etc.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    When WebOS will mature a little, it will kick Android's ***. 1.2 promises a lot of cool features and an improved battery usage. I wonder how will be 2.0, especially when we all know Pre has a faster processor (ding ding ding)?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Hero for me!!!! As earlier stated about the muti-touch.....its true multi touch, cant have Pinch zoom without it!!! Palm had there chance and they blew it huge!!!!! Between this forum and many others aLOt of people are going to dump thier pre's for the hero and like others have said hero and pre on the same shelf and the pre missing soooooooo many basic features hero will win...... Oh yea and for the pixi.......come on palm no wifi......what the f u c k were u thinking??????? After you shoot yourself in the foot, dont shoot yourself in the other foot, how the hell are you going to walk to the sprint store to buy the hero???
    The Wams
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    Hero for me!!!! As earlier stated about the muti-touch.....its true multi touch, cant have Pinch zoom without it!!! Palm had there chance and they blew it huge!!!!! Between this forum and many others aLOt of people are going to dump thier pre's for the hero and like others have said hero and pre on the same shelf and the pre missing soooooooo many basic features hero will win...... Oh yea and for the pixi.......come on palm no wifi......what the f u c k were u thinking??????? After you shoot yourself in the foot, dont shoot yourself in the other foot, how the hell are you going to walk to the sprint store to buy the hero???
    What does the Hero have that the Pre doesn't besides a larger app store? Because apps will come in time.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    for anyone who cares...... check it out!! Video Tour: HTC Hero : HTC Hero (Phone Scoop)
    i think it looks promising
    The Wams
    Have to take back what i said. Played with a Hero yesterday. Not really feeling the love there for the widget UI or android in general.

Still up to the Pre to lure me back. Maybe 1.2 combined with Any Mobile plan will be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    What is the Linux protocol to overclock the cpu. Can you provide it here.

ujsc
    well first root your pre. then type

Code:
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

this assumes you are using userspace scaling. Which essentiall does not scale the processor. If you want scaling see my page but essentially you will need to enable ondemand scaling.

Tips And Tricks | L337Tech
    What I read about multi touch is that it works for the native htc apps including pinch to zoom for the browser, but not for any other apps, including google's own google maps program. Will try to find that article and post it...if anyone knows othewise, please post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    What does the Hero have that the Pre doesn't besides a larger app store? Because apps will come in time.
    IMO what is interesting about the hero vs.Pre: Hero has:
    ~hopefully more stable hardware!
    ~5mp camera with AF
    ~1500 battery!
    ~bucket load of apps and will always have more due to ammt of phones
    ~backing of Google: no chance Android will disappear in a year or two
    ~activesync (free with phone)
    ~tethering w/o need for rooting
    ~horiz and landscape keyboard and usage
    ~proper copy and past of anything
    ~trackball
    ~app loading and responsiveness look superior to Pre:

~gmail integration, etc.

Sure, the Pre will have some of these things soon, but not the most important ones IMO: stable hardware, high capacity battery, 8000+ apps, backing of Google!

If Palm has some more stable handsets in the works, then they should leak some photos ASAP before there is a stampede to the HERO/Cliq/etc.

Pete: what do you feel the Pre has that the HERO does not aside from the keyboard (which has not stopped too many people from buying the aPhone) and a cheaply made slider?
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 09/17/2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    I don't know what EAS is, but the Tour does offer syncing contacts with facebook and such services like the Pre does. And of course syncing with Google calendar, contacts, etc., etc.
    EAS is Enterprise Active Sync. It syncs your outlook email (and maybe calendar, contacts, etc.) wirelessly. The iPhone and Pre do this. My antique Treo does this. I believe the Hero only syncs outlook email, and not contacts or calendar, wirelessly.

Has nothing to do with Facebook or Google. It's all about work.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast