Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    More hilarity. Yes, HTC and Samsung can built great bricks...
    Bricks are much more useful than oreo's

More hilarity. Yes,they will never come up with something like a gesture area, or slide out portrait keyboard in a compact device, or small keys that are still easy to type on, or the Touchstone. They're just generic hardware manufacturers with no clue in design.
    So according to you, HTC can't write software as well as Palm, and they certainly can't make hardware as well...

HTC MUST know what they are doing, as their revenue is 5x greater than palm's... They are thriving while palm continues to tank. Somewhere along the line, this "great" software and hardware isn't being received well by the consumers, which is what matters.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    im sorry to say but i too am stoked about the htc hero. im really going to look at it in oct and being a government employee, i can buy anytime. i think the pre is a great device and in the next year or 2 it will be outstanding, at that point i'll reconsider.....but for now i can't stand the basic functions that the pre DOES NOT have!!!!! i cant stand my notifications blowing my ear drum anymore.... i know, updated will come, right? i mean really i was at the ford dealership and saw a brand new car, inside and out the newest design, but it did not have wheels and tires yet or steering wheel. the salesman told me that they were working on that and it would be available in "future updates" but for now they were working on "important updates" like paint colors and chrome accents to ya know impress the "corporate world".
    sorry palm but u fk'd yourself real bad and u needed this to survive and because of it you'll probably FAIL!!!!! oh well u could always buy another phone company and fuc them up too!!!
    The Wams
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    No keyboard no dice....
    I am with you there.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Funny stuff! But how is any of this supposed to make me want an Android phone? Because Android makes money (free), or it will run in my car (I'm buying a phone), or its SDK is amazing (don't need a phone to develop and I won't be making money anyway). Who gives a **** about any of this? The UI sucks.
    I see you don't know much about investing in the stock market. A a company with a poor management track record normally doesn't do as well as a company with a good management track record. Investors are interested in those types of details since they impact the profitability of the company. Certainly, I would not be investing in Chrysler right now and GM is ify. Ford is probably okay as well as the Japanese manufactures if you look at track records of their respective management teams.

Likewise, the way in which Palm manages its development support for their phone is very important to the wise end-user: The SDK is important so developers investing in the platform know they can both develop and support their products.

As for the UI, you are entitled to your opinion but instead of stomping around like a 3rd year old wailing about how the world is a mean, cruel place, why not provide some constructive criticisms of what you don't like?

More hilarity. Yes, HTC and Samsung can built great bricks, but they will never come up with something like a gesture area, or slide out portrait keyboard in a compact device, or small keys that are still easy to type on, or the Touchstone. They're just generic hardware manufacturers with no clue in design.
    Really? Do you know the difference between the OS and the Hardware?

Android will support gestures in future releases (the hardware running android to date doesn't preclude it). The main issue for the lack gestures is the Android Development Team needs to do so in a way that complies with patents they come accross to support the input type as well as the more mundane engineering required to make it work.

And the HTC SenseUI that HTC developed is getting a lot of praise and also has the effect of making their phones unique from the Google Expierence phone.

But again, these companies make a lot of money from people who clearly do not share you views.

Now, is there anything else I can either instruct you on or otherwise help you with?
    Last edited by Clack; 09/04/2009 at 06:27 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    I'm still in the middle of what to do. I really like the Pre, but I love Android and only reason I got rid of my G1 was crappy T-Mo signal here, Sprint's service is great. Although I dont like the "new" design for the Hero, I actually preferred the chin.

Im so freakin torn right now! webOS has tons of potential and Android is just now taking off. Which device is better I guess depends on your likes/dislikes and needs/wants are.

IMO there is no argument, both devices are great!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Now, is there anything else I can either instruct you on or otherwise help you with?
    You show an extreme lack of knowledge about what the Pre is and what it can do. Do you even have one?

If you do, then you have either poor reading compression or poor logical reasoning skills.

Maybe it is some combination of all of the above. You managed to write 5 paragraphs without addressing a single point anyone made about anything.
    I like the new Hero design, that chin was weak and ugly, I had the G1 and didn't like that chin either. I only wished that the design was still squared instead of round at the bottom. I still don't understand the hate for not having a chin the phone looks more mature now instead of a tech-nerd gadget.

*EDIT* No offense to tech-nerds out there :-D
    Last edited by L-Boogie; 09/05/2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Looks like a Hero for me. I'm concerned about Pre quality frankly.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Virtual Keyboards suck, the have to have auto correct because they suck. I have fat fingers and I have absolutely no prob with the keyboard on the pre. Every single smart phone I have had or played with regardless of key size I have had to learn how to type on them, but once I did my speed always blows away anyone using a virtual keyboard. Try it, get a friend with an android based phone or an Iphone and have a competition with them. Don't just type a sentence or two, but type alot (Like most of us do on our pre). You will leave them in the dust. No physical keyboard means most of what I do on my pre (text, IM and email) will take so much longer to do on one those absolutely horrible Virtual Keyboard Phones. As far as build quality, well lets see, the HTC went all cheap and made a brick just like the Iphone, just a brick with nothing at all moving on it - so 2 years ago. One would think they could build a phone with a keyboard with all their superior built quality expertise. Really, now, you must not use your phone for much if you are satisfied with a virtual (JUNK) cheap, cheap, cheap keyboard only cell. LONG LIVE THE PRE and the awsome-ness not to make me live with a sub-par keyboardless design of the HTC and the Iphone (so cheap).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong.....I LOVE my Pre, but I just saw a Hero video and that phone seems to do what the Pre does and then some. Anyone else with that conclsion? Can hero outsell the Pre?
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Really? Didn't see a keyboard.
    Let me get my popcorn....the show is about to start
    The number of 13 year old girls is declining as a demographic.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    With the exception of the keyboard the UI seems fantastic.....oh and it has that stupid Jay Leno chin.
    I wouldn't go back to a phone that does not have a physical kybd.
    Endgadget sums it up best:

The Hero represents a valiant effort from HTC -- though unfortunately, the company appears to have bitten off more than its last-generation hardware can chew. If this build of Android were to be loaded atop the guts of a 3GS or Pre, the performance would likely be astounding, but fused with the two-year old architecture of previous devices, it's mostly disappointing. We're not saying this isn't the best build of Android on the market -- we think it is. What we are saying is that this build is a bit too much for a device like the Hero to handle, and that makes for an uneven, sometimes frustrating experience. Going into the review, we desperately wanted to love this phone, but given the combination of a few poor hardware choices and an OS which outclasses the device it runs on, we can only recommend that you enter at your own risk. HTC has an explosive entry in the smartphone category with what its done on the software side... now it just needs the hardware to match.
    No seriously. They are different phones and shouldn't be put against each other. People that love the pre might not like the hero and vice versa. I personally am going to have both for a while, till I find the winner. Personally I think the hero will outsell the pre, but that's not because the pre it's a bad phone.
    Yeah, it's slow, but what do 13 year old girls know about speed?

(The floor is open to all and any jokes)
    My wife liked the Hero when I showed it to her, and then I showed her the Pixi. Pixi will be a part of our family on launch day. As for the Pre vs. Hero, it's a matter of taste. Having good taste, or not.
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast