Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546 LastLast
    Well... then I've got this handy new device, called the Touchstone, to sell you. It'll solve all your battery problems. I've even got spare batteries, extended batteries, and external batteries. Take your pick! Battery life really isn't that bad, tho, after you've customized it and used a few patches "Browser Multi-Mod" saves battery life by giving you page up/down buttons!! There's little nuggets like that all over to increase battery life on the Pre.

And you shouldn't need to wait too long for the video recording. I'd be willing to bet that that will come in the next release or two, so you're looking at 5-10 weeks. The keyboard issue is the only thing that you can't change, you're right. But, more than likely... it'd change you. You're a human. You can adapt to most anything without even trying that hard. Using your thumb tips instead of thumb pads would make you less of a monkey and more of a human.

But really, the keyboard's not that bad.
    AS I said, I did like the Pre, but the battery life IS awful. It wouldn't last me 3 or 4 hours at work and having it tethered to a charger is not a phone, but a desktop. I did a lot of the tweaks, but it still wouldn't last the business day, let alone the full day. I expect any decent smartphone to last the day with average use. I expect to charge it every night, but not mid morning and then again mid afternoon, and then again mid evening, just to get enough juice out of it to keep working. And turning off all of it's functionality is not an option. If I only wanted a phone, I would have bought one without features and saved a lot of money or I could have kept the awful Instinct.

And I'm sorry, the keyboard is that bad. I used to have a Sprint6600 and that keyboard was small. Thankfully I also had the option of using a virtual keyboard. There's not a reliable virtual keyboard on the Pre and the physical one is smaller than the 6600! I used the Pre for a month and my fingers didn't adapt. I used the tips, but I would get awful cramps in my hands after writing some emails. For my business, I need to answer emails regularly and sometimes they can be lengthy and I'm not always at my laptop. That's why I get smartphones. But the Pre's keyboard was functional, but small and cramped and I couldn't get any speed on it. Accuracy was not an issue, but speed and comfort were. I can type away at a virtual keyboard if it's any good (the Instinct's sucked). So far the Hero's is the best after the iPhone's.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbenedict View Post
    I think the Pre has a better OS then Android. IT takes way too many clicks to get things done on the Android. You're always having to hit the menu key, and then make a selection before you get to where you want to be. Unless you take up valuable real estate on the home screens, you have to go to menu>settings>wifi/bluetooth to turn wifi or bluetooth on or off. I like WebOSs way of handling it in the notification bar at the top. I also like webos's way of notifications better.

The problems with the Pre: battery life, lack of a usable/reliable virtual keyboard, physical keyboard is too small, no voice commands or video support and no virtual voicemail (although there are workarounds to that).

I can live with the lack of apps, as the Pre is new, but the rest of it can't be fixed with an OS update and needs a new Pre altogether. If they can fix that stuff, I'd be back to the pre in a flash.
    Odd because I feel the complete opposite almost.
    With SenseUI you essentially have 7 cards/home screens setup to display what you want at the swipe of a hand. How in the world can that be considered worse than having one home screen with a few quick launch buttons (and no other useful information) and otherwise having to navigate though application page listings to launch EVERYTHING you want to do?

With SenseUI I can have 90% of the items I want right on a homescreen only a swipe away. Not a tap, tap, swipe, launch, etc...
    If you're not using Universal Search with the Pre... then you're not using webOS.

Snap the slider open, use my thumbs to type in 3-4 letters... and hit enter. It's almost instantaneous. You can pull up any application, contact, or start a search with one of the available search engines. Pretty slick. This is prolly one of the most underutilized features of webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Every phone manufacturer that is using Android has been pushing OTA updates in sync with other phone manufacturers that employ completely different UIs? And they've been doing this every 5 weeks or so?

I was unaware.
    Obviously you are. Now with WM you could make statements like this and be accurate. But WM also has a huge community support base and pretty open structure.

If you are happy with these very small Palm updates every 4-6 weeks that add a new shortcut, a couple obvious small fixes, etc... then I am happy for you. You will be very happy with your Pre. I am however not very happy with it and becoming more and more frustrated everyday.

And don't get me started with how much grief 1.3.1 (which added no significant feature additions or fixes) is causing. I rolled my OS back to 1.2 twice now... only to have 1.3.1 pushed back onto the phone. Twice now I have woken up to the "1.3.1 has been installed and is now available" message.
    1.3.1 broke the most important feature I need from a "smartphone" (tethering).
    If you're not using Universal Search with the Pre... then you're not using webOS.

Snap the slider open, use my thumbs to type in 3-4 letters... and hit enter. It's almost instantaneous. You can pull up any application, contact, or start a search with one of the available search engines. Pretty slick. This is prolly one of the most underutilized features of webOS.
    Wait... I thought YOU were the one complaining about button (key) taps?

Because typing in half the application name is sooo much easier then swiping a screen sideways and having the information/application right there?

And how does 7 pages of "valuable real estate of home screens" compare to 0 valuable pages of real estate of home screens?

BTW I could check all 7 home screens (weather, time, mail, messages, music, etc.) in the time it took you to slide the keyboard open, type in the application and tap it open. At least 3-4 of them.

P.S. I use the Universal Search constantly.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 11/17/2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbenedict View Post
    AS I said, I did like the Pre, but the battery life IS awful.
    Yes, it is. This is not even close at this point. The Hero just lasted 48hrs+ without charging with using it more than my Wife's Pre (with stock battery; mine has a Seidio 2600). Her Pre (and mine prior to the extended battery) almost never lasted 24 hours. Most of the time it never lasted more than 12-16 hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Odd because I feel the complete opposite almost.
    With SenseUI you essentially have 7 cards/home screens setup to display what you want at the swipe of a hand. How in the world can that be considered worse than having one home screen with a few quick launch buttons (and no other useful information) and otherwise having to navigate though application page listings to launch EVERYTHING you want to do?

With SenseUI I can have 90% of the items I want right on a homescreen only a swipe away. Not a tap, tap, swipe, launch, etc...
    Yes, but the interface is clunky and that's not Android but Sense UI. Once you're in an app, you have to click the menu button to access any other features. To delete you have to click on the menu button and then the delete button rather than swiping to the left. There's no way to close the apps without a task killer and although it might not be necessary or required to close the apps in Android, the choice is nice without having to download an app or drill through the settings menu.

I think that webos is a better thought-out interface and although it would be nice if we could have widgets in webos, the overall interface and experience is better than Android even with SenseUI and keep in mind, every widget (unless a shortcut only) takes up ram and cpu to keep up-to-date which is a drain the battery.
    Obviously you are. Now with WM you could make statements like this and be accurate. But WM also has a huge community support base and pretty open structure.
    Umm... actually, I'm not... "Every phone manufacturer that is using Android has been pushing OTA updates in sync with other phone manufacturers that employ completely different UIs? And they've been doing this every 5 weeks or so? ... I was unaware."

So you're telling me that all Android phones have the same version?? Let's start with how many have 2.0... And you're telling me that each manufacturer is releasing updates averaging every 5-6 weeks?? This is definitely news to me.

If you are happy with these very small Palm updates every 4-6 weeks that add a new shortcut, a couple obvious small fixes, etc... then I am happy for you. You will be very happy with your Pre. I am however not very happy with it and becoming more and more frustrated everyday.
    If you could list off the changelog with each update of webOS and the SDK... we can see if these updates are "very small" or not. At the rate they're going right now... webOS should be about 95% in 3 months. That's pretty quick compared to the rate that any other smartphoneOS has developed. Plus other smartphone companies didn't mold things like Synergy, online Backup, and the Touchstone into one phone. Palm's definitely on the right track at the right pace.

And don't get me started with how much grief 1.3.1 (which added no significant feature additions or fixes) is causing. I rolled my OS back to 1.2 twice now... only to have 1.3.1 pushed back onto the phone. Twice now I have woken up to the "1.3.1 has been installed and is now available" message.
    1.3.1 broke the most important feature I need from a "smartphone" (tethering).
    Well... your issues are unique to you. I have nothing but praise for 1.3.1. There's a couple more things I'd like to see... but I'm sure they'll be ironed out in the next update or two.

Wait... I thought YOU were the one complaining about button (key) taps?
    Umm... no, dude. I have a Pre *because* of the keyboard. I don't like tapping touchscreens except in a browser, and even then, I use the Multi-Mod patch so that I can use spacebar/period as page up/down. Buttons are the only way if you're a true geek. Gestures aren't half-bad either... but they're still not as direct as buttons.

Because typing in half the application name is sooo much easier then swiping a screen sideways and having the information/application right there?
    It's not just the application name... it's contacts... it's anything you want to drop into an online search engine. It's "UNIVERSAL Search". I type the name of an application to open it on my desktopOS and webOS (even had hotkeys wired to start an application on palmOS just by holding a letter -- 'c' for camera, 'w' for web, etc.). Again... keyboards are the only way. It takes 1 second to open ANY application.

And how does 7 pages of "valuable real estate of home screens" compare to 0 valuable pages of real estate of home screens?
    I don't even know \/\/TF that means. If I'm not doing anything, I don't want any apps, widgets, or cards draining my battery life. I want peace and quiet. If you want a today screen, they have cards that do that. 7 pages of junk is what you have... not "valuable real estate". I can open up 22 cards if I wanted... but I would never actually do that in any real life scenario.

BTW I could check all 7 home screens (weather, time, mail, messages, music, etc.) in the time it took you to slide the keyboard open, type in the application and tap it open. At least 3-4 of them.
    Impossible. I can snap the Pre open just like I'd snap my fingers to turn it on from a dead state and type with one thumb faster than you could do anything on any other smartphone -- period.
    Again after using the Pre (for 5+ months) and the Hero for 5 days (so far) the Hero... if I had to choose one... I would choose the Hero.

Both have strengths and weaknesses but the battery life and SenseUI make the Hero a much better choice for me (or my wife). I have not experienced any increased lag at this point. Maybe because I am pretty good about killing tasks? I was used to this from WM?

BTW I have restarted my Pre twice in the past few days because half the applications on the launcher became unresponsive and the phone was lagging very badly. I had to use the keyboard shortcut both times because the shutdown menu was not responding the taps. The taps would register (button would react) but nothing would change. This was on a clean install of 1.3.1. WebOS doctor and update... No patches or home brews at all, at this point.
    I've used both for about a month and I love the Pre, but because of its few shortcomings, it makes it difficult for me to use as an everyday phone, though I wish I could. The hero suffices for me, but if the Pre were to fix my issues I have with it, I'd switch in a minute.
    Again after using the Pre (for 5+ months) and the Hero for 5 days (so far) the Hero... if I had to choose one... I would choose the Hero.
    And after all the Pres and Pixis worldwide are on v1.4.0 in 10 weeks, and we all have video recording, mic APIs, and Flash Mobile 10.1... and you're still on Android v1.5....you'll realize you chose the wrong phone.

BTW I have restarted my Pre twice in the past few days because half the applications on the launcher became unresponsive and the phone was lagging very badly. I had to use the keyboard shortcut both times because the shutdown menu was not responding the taps. The taps would register (button would react) but nothing would change. This was on a clean install of 1.3.1. WebOS doctor and update... No patches or home brews at all, at this point.
    You're doing it wrong. You shouldn't be tapping the screen to launch programs when you have Universal Search, man. And I have doctored my Pre two nights ago and updated to 1.3.1. NO problems for me whatsoever. Things are starting to speed up quicker than I'd expected a few weeks ago when buying the phone.
    Umm... actually, I'm not... "Every phone manufacturer that is using Android has been pushing OTA updates in sync with other phone manufacturers that employ completely different UIs? And they've been doing this every 5 weeks or so? ... I was unaware."

So you're telling me that all Android phones have the same version?? Let's start with how many have 2.0... And you're telling me that each manufacturer is releasing updates averaging every 5-6 weeks?? This is definitely news to me.
    So two phones (by Palm) have the same version OS? Is that some type of accomplishment? And Android 2.0 is brand new and HTC has announced plans for updating numerous new phones to it. I'm not even sure of your point with this. You are obviously in love with your Pre. Good for you but you have very minimal knowledge of the smartphone market as a whole.

If you could list off the changelog with each update of webOS and the SDK... we can see if these updates are "very small" or not. At the rate they're going right now... webOS should be about 95% in 3 months. That's pretty quick compared to the rate that any other smartphoneOS has developed. Plus other smartphone companies didn't mold things like Synergy, online Backup, and the Touchstone into one phone. Palm's definitely on the right track at the right pace.
    I have read every change log. Maybe you should. Sure there are numerous line items for each but they are all very small fixes/tweaks. The most significant items since release are the improved exchange support (which was supposed to already be there) and the addition of Yahoo support.

Well... your issues are unique to you. I have nothing but praise for 1.3.1. There's a couple more things I'd like to see... but I'm sure they'll be ironed out in the next update or two.
    Isolated to me??? Have you read the very boards you are posting on???
    Perhaps your heavenly experience is isolated to you?

Umm... no, dude. I have a Pre *because* of the keyboard. I don't like tapping touchscreens except in a browser, and even then, I use the Multi-Mod patch so that I can use spacebar/period as page up/down. Buttons are the only way if you're a true geek. Gestures aren't half-bad either... but they're still not as direct as buttons.
    Ok, so you bought a Pre and feel that gestures are just a nice thing to use and I dont really like touch screens but try to take the stance that "you aren't using webOS, if you aren't using Universal Search"?????

Seriosuly....

It's not just the application name... it's contacts... it's anything you want to drop into an online search engine. It's "UNIVERSAL Search". I type the name of an application to open it on my desktopOS and webOS (even had hotkeys wired to start an application on palmOS just by holding a letter -- 'c' for camera, 'w' for web, etc.). Again... keyboards are the only way. It takes 1 second to open ANY application.
    Keyboards are the only way? LMAO

I don't even know \/\/TF that means. If I'm not doing anything, I don't want any apps, widgets, or cards draining my battery life. I want peace and quiet. If you want a today screen, they have cards that do that. 7 pages of junk is what you have... not "valuable real estate". I can open up 22 cards if I wanted... but I would never actually do that in any real life scenario.
    22 cards eh? I would like to see you do this frequently (and keep a pleasant experience). I guess tasks, calendar/events for the day, weather, time, news, email, messaging, music, etc. are all junk? Why again do you own a "smartphone" that costs $200+?

Impossible. I can snap the Pre open just like I'd snap my fingers to turn it on from a dead state and type with one thumb faster than you could do anything on any other smartphone -- period.
    Impossible.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 11/17/2009 at 03:50 PM.
    And after all the Pres and Pixis worldwide are on v1.4.0 in 10 weeks, and we all have video recording, mic APIs, and Flash Mobile 10.1... and you're still on Android v1.5....you'll realize you chose the wrong phone.
    I have both phones. So what am I doing wrong again? I will be AMAZED if we have video recording, mic APIs, and Flash Mobile 10.1 in 10 weeks. I mean truly AMAZED.
    For what it's worth I will likely keep the Pre for now. I bought the Hero for my son who will still likely get it next week.

You're doing it wrong. You shouldn't be tapping the screen to launch programs when you have Universal Search, man. And I have doctored my Pre two nights ago and updated to 1.3.1. NO problems for me whatsoever. Things are starting to speed up quicker than I'd expected a few weeks ago when buying the phone.
    Those issues aren't related to 1.3.1 alone. I (as have others) had the same thing happen on 1.1 and 1.2. I was simply pointing out that it is still happening. I know the utility of Universal Search, you are simply overplaying it.

Let me see again... to read email.

Pre - Swipe unlock, tap launcher swipe/open apps. 2 taps and swipe or two?

Pre Universal search - Swipe to unlock, slide keyboard open, type 3-6 characters, tap selection or press enter (if it is the only option).

Of course this is an example for an item that is not on the quick launch bar.

Universal search is nice but it is not the end all be all.

BTW... I didn't see a response with regards to not utilizing (or liking) touch or gestures with webOS (and preferring the keyboard) but in your opinion "You aren't using webOS if you aren't using Universal Search".

That has to be one of the most hypocritical and biased statements I have heard with regards to the Pre. Period. I will leave you alone in you own little Pre Nirvana now!
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 11/17/2009 at 03:47 PM.
    So two phones (by Palm) have the same version OS? Is that some type of accomplishment?
    Yes, it is. No other phone manufacturer will be releasing updates across the board, except for Apple. The only difference is that it takes Apple a year to release an update, while Palm's taking 5 or 6 weeks for each update. I'd prefer 8-10 updates a year than 1 massive update. Maybe that's just me, tho... but I knew what I was getting, and I knew what I was getting *into*. My expectations were based on reality.

And Android 2.0 is brand new and HTC has announced plans for updating numerous new phones to it. I'm not even sure of your point with this. You are obviously in love with your Pre. Good for you but you have very minimal knowledge of the smartphone market as a whole.
    I'm sure HTC has plans. They just won't involve going back to phones that have already been released. Their plans are to make new hardware and slap on some Android with Sense-UI and then move onto the next hardware. HTC is not a software company.

I have read every change log. Maybe you should. Sure there are numerous line items for each but they are all very small fixes/tweaks. The most significant items since release are the improved exchange support (which was supposed to already be there) and the addition of Yahoo support.
    You're kidding yourself.

Isolated to me??? Have you read the very boards you are posting on???
    Perhaps your heavenly experience is isolated to you?
    Not too terribly much the past few days. I've been arguing with people on Internet, like a r3tard... and researching a ton of other things. Too much time to read complaints on this forum. I'm only here right now, because you keep popping up in my email.

Ok, so you bought a Pre and feel that gestures are just a nice thing to use and I dont really like touch creens but try to jump on the "you aren't using webOS, if you aren't using Universal Search"?????

Seriosuly....
    Seriously... if you knew how Universal Search worked, then you wouldn't be tapping icons. Point blank. You've already talked about how tapping icons is slower, but you're doing it wrong. If all you want to do is tap a screen, then maybe the Hero is the right phone for you.

I like touchscreens, and I like computer mice... but only when I *have* to point and click. Using a keyboard is far quicker and far more direct than swiping, flicking, clicking, & dragging. That stuff is for n00bs. Like I said, keyboards are for the true geeks. You can configure the keys to do whatever you want, it's no strictly outputting an 'A' to 'Z'.

My current phone is a Centro with a broken screen. Everything's still visible (including 5 large spider cracks coming from the d-pad), but the touchscreen doesn't work. A Centro with no touchscreen capabilities is far more useful to me than any other device out there... except for a 755p.

I only have the expectation of using the Pre as a phone after a few more months. I could definitely use it right now without issue, but I don't see why I would when the Centro is a better phone. I might even just keep the Pre as a toy and swap from my Centro to a Pixi in 11 more months. Who knows what will be available by the time I'm ready to give up this broken Centro.

Keyboards are the only way? LMAO
    HAHAHA... I bet you'll be laughing as soon as hotkeys are made. Open one of 26 apps configured to each letter on the keyboard. Maybe if you had a Moment, you could enjoy opening applications without even consciously thinking about it.

22 cards eh? I would like to see you do this frequently (and keep a pleasant experience). I guess tasks, calendar/events for the day, weather, time, news, email, messaging, etc. are all junk? Why again do you own a "smartphone" that costs $200+?
    I own a smartphone that cost me $100 and $30/mo. I also own it as a fun device for the moment, because I need the applications to be built around the keyboard moreso than they are now. Who in their right mind would jump on a brand new platform to rely on as their smartphone? I dunno... but I thank them for finding out all the bugs.

But yes, I can definitely open 22 cards and "keep a pleasant experience". The lower swap threshold hack takes care of that. This phone has more power than you realized in your 5 months of using it.

Impossible.
    I'd love to bet you who can open an application faster. We can wager our phones if that's fine by you.
    I have both phones. So what am I doing wrong again? I will be AMAZED if we have video recording, mic APIs, and Flash Mobile 10.1 in 10 weeks. I mean truly AMAZED.
    You will be amazed, I'm sure. Palm will get it done, which might not be as easy to see to the untrained eye... but they are a software company, and they are doing many, many, many things that might not be as apparent as text forwarding or changing the text alert noise.

HTC is not releasing an SDK. HTC is not doing online backup. etcetera... etcetera..

Those issues aren't related to 1.3.1 alone. I (as have others) had the same thing happen on 1.1 and 1.2. I was simply pointing out that it is still happening.
    I'm not even sure what issues you're referring to. Like I said, I have a doctored Pre that was just updated to 1.3.1. I see no issues whatsoever.

I know the utility of Universal Search, you are simply overplaying it.
    Right. If you say.

Let me see again... to read email.

Pre - Swipe unlock, tap launcher swipe/open apps. 2 taps and swipe or two?

Pre Universal search - Swipe to unlock, slide keyboard open, type 3-6 characters, tap selection or press enter (if it is the only option).

Of course this is an example for an item that is not on the quick launch bar.
    To read email...

Pull out of pocket... Check!
    Snap slider open with fingers... Check!
    Type "E - M - Enter"... Check!

Time that yourself and see if that's any quicker than opening email from the Hero's launcher.

Universal search is nice but it is not the end all be all.
    You're right... it's the beginning of the end.

BTW... I didn't see a response with regards to not utilizing (or liking) touch or gestures with webOS (and preferring the keyboard) but in your opinion "You aren't using webOS if you aren't using Universal Search".
    That's 'cause I was busy typing it and P|C was giving me a 504 error or some junk.

That has to be one of the most hypocritical and biased statements I have heard with regards to the Pre. Period. I will leave you alone in you own little Pre Nirvana now!
    I'm not sure what you're referring to here? If you're referring to a keyboard being better than a touchscreen... yes, I'm right. I can open ANY application with a couple keypresses... and soon, it'll be with one long hold of any of the 26 buttons on there. Hardware buttons will always trump software buttons. It's just a fact of life.
    Saying software buttons are better than hardware buttons is like saying an automatic is better than a stick. No, the stick is lighter, more efficient, gets better mileage, and can even be started when the starter or alternator gives up by pushing it just a bit.

Same with keyboard. You have more control that you can configure yourself. It's better on battery life than swiping and scrolling. It's just more direct in every way. And if there ever were a problem with the phone, I can use the keyboard in a terminal to remedy the situation instead of sitting around like a Windows user wondering why restarting the OS didn't solve all my problems.
    Yes, it is. No other phone manufacturer will be releasing updates across the board, except for Apple. The only difference is that it takes Apple a year to release an update, while Palm's taking 5 or 6 weeks for each update. I'd prefer 8-10 updates a year than 1 massive update. Maybe that's just me, tho... but I knew what I was getting, and I knew what I was getting *into*. My expectations were based on reality.

I'm sure HTC has plans. They just won't involve going back to phones that have already been released. Their plans are to make new hardware and slap on some Android with Sense-UI and then move onto the next hardware. HTC is not a software company.

You're kidding yourself.
    Actually, you are reinforcing what you DO NOT know about the smartphone market. Android 2 is already being developed/tested for numerous phones already released. Including the Hero.

Who is kidding themselves?

Seriously... if you knew how Universal Search worked, then you wouldn't be tapping icons. Point blank. You've already talked about how tapping icons is slower, but you're doing it wrong. If all you want to do is tap a screen, then maybe the Hero is the right phone for you.

I like touchscreens, and I like computer mice... but only when I *have* to point and click. Using a keyboard is far quicker and far more direct than swiping, flicking, clicking, & dragging. That stuff is for n00bs. Like I said, keyboards are for the true geeks. You can configure the keys to do whatever you want, it's no strictly outputting an 'A' to 'Z'.
    You didn't even bother to read (or comprehend) what I wrote and you have the nuts to use the term ******?

My current phone is a Centro with a broken screen. Everything's still visible (including 5 large spider cracks coming from the d-pad), but the touchscreen doesn't work. A Centro with no touchscreen capabilities is far more useful to me than any other device out there... except for a 755p.

I only have the expectation of using the Pre as a phone after a few more months. I could definitely use it right now without issue, but I don't see why I would when the Centro is a better phone. I might even just keep the Pre as a toy and swap from my Centro to a Pixi in 11 more months. Who knows what will be available by the time I'm ready to give up this broken Centro.
    lmao. You just proved how much you are using and relying on your Pre... You are still using a cracked Centro as your primary device...

HAHAHA... I bet you'll be laughing as soon as hotkeys are made. Open one of 26 apps configured to each letter on the keyboard. Maybe if you had a Moment, you could enjoy opening applications without even consciously thinking about it.
    I'm already laughing because I have been doing this for 3 years on WM and you think it is some great feature and are looking forward to it like you discovered the wheel.

I own a smartphone that cost me $100 and $30/mo. I also own it as a fun device for the moment, because I need the applications to be built around the keyboard moreso than they are now. Who in their right mind would jump on a brand new platform to rely on as their smartphone? I dunno... but I thank them for finding out all the bugs.
    And yet again you are boldly and blindly hypocritical. You openly admit that you can not rely on the Pre as your Primary device...

But yes, I can definitely open 22 cards and "keep a pleasant experience". The lower swap threshold hack takes care of that. This phone has more power than you realized in your 5 months of using it.
    With the way you just described your use and reliance on the Pre, I can guarantee you I have utilized more functionality and power with it in the first 5 months than you may ever.

I'd love to bet you who can open an application faster. We can wager our phones if that's fine by you.
    No thanks. I have no need for a old centro with a cracked screen?
    Or did you want to wager your secondary "device from the gods" instead of your primary?
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 11/17/2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Saying software buttons are better than hardware buttons is like saying an automatic is better than a stick. No, the stick is lighter, more efficient, gets better mileage, and can even be started when the starter or alternator gives up by pushing it just a bit.

Same with keyboard. You have more control that you can configure yourself. It's better on battery life than swiping and scrolling. It's just more direct in every way. And if there ever were a problem with the phone, I can use the keyboard in a terminal to remedy the situation instead of sitting around like a Windows user wondering why restarting the OS didn't solve all my problems.
    lmao... You didn't just pull the "windows card" did you? lmao...

Is your name Steve by chance?

Actually, you are reinforcing what you DO NOT know about the smartphone market. Android 2 is already being developed/tested for numerous phones already released. Including the Hero.

Who is kidding themselves?
    All we can do is wait and see, but my point was and is still true. Manufacturers using Android will never be able to update the software in lockstep, especially with different UIs and tweaks... therefore, they won't. Android will never get updated across the board like iPhoneOS and webOS. And when it is, you'll more than likely have to hook up a USB cable. Sprint has already stated that they won't be supporting OTA updates with the Hero, so good luck with getting everybody on the same page with that plan.

You didn't even bother to read (or comprehend) what I wrote and you have the nuts to use the term ******?
    Do you care to elaborate? And I called myself a r3tard for arguing on the Internet, because this *is* r3tarded that you're gonna tell me you know all about Universal Search but would rather flick and tap... or that all manufacturers using Android are gonna be releasing every update to Android that Google releases, all OTA. That's just not how Android works.

lmao. You just proved how much you are using and relying on your Pre... You are still using a cracked Centro as your primary device..
    Like I said... I need a phone that has good hardware key support built-in. The Pre is not quite there yet, but the Hero NEVER WILL BE at that point.

I'm already laughing because I have been doing this for 3 years on WM and you think it is some great feature and are looking forward to it like you discovered the wheel.
    Err... I've been using hotkeys on Treos since the 2003, at least 2004. I still use them on my Centro. Nothing discovered, but it's something the Pre *will* get and the Hero *can't*.

And yet again you are boldly and blindly hypocritical. You openly admit that you can not rely on the Pre as your Primary device...
    I admitted that? Where did I admit that? I'm pretty sure I said I could use the Pre as my primary device, but there's no point because I don't want people touching a device with $500+ MSRP and full-face touchscreen that I'm NOT insuring. My reasons have nothing to do with webOS not being able to handle the job. It's just that, at this point in time, I don't want to be handing my phone to people who are going to drop it. I don't want to be flicking and dragging my battery life away. At this point in time, two devices are my thing. I could easily switch to the Pre, but I don't want to pay $40 extra per month just to add voice. There are numerous reasons I'm sticking with the two devices for the time being, not as if I actually need to explain them all to you.

With the way you just described your use and reliance on the Pre, I can guarantee you I have utilized more functionality and power with it in the first 5 months than you may ever.
    You're a pretty lame feller. My peter is bigger... so what? I own 5 Treos, a Centro, and a Pre... does that make me better than you since I've gotten more functionality out of them for the past 6-7 years than you can tap, tap, tap on your screens?

No thanks. I have no need for a old centro with a cracked screen?
    Or did you want to wager your secondary "device from the gods" instead of your primary?
    I was referring to any webOS phone -vs- any Android phone, especially a keyboardless Hero.