Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tintheman View Post
    I do miss the Pre whenever I tried to swipe the screen on my Hero
    Hah... that was my first post in this thread about how I dreamt of swiping cards. If it weren't for the cards interface, I wouldn't be a webOS user either. Kinda shallow, but I do enjoy the elegance of webOS.

And at least everybody seems to agree that it is beautiful.
    I have had my Pre since launch. I have also been a "Smartphone" user for roughly 7 years.

As I have stated a few times prior, the Pre is lacking some fairly significant "Smartphone" features. I will not go into detail with all of those items, since they have been brought up time and time again.

I purchased a Hero for my son 3 days ago and have been "evaluating" it since.

The Hero is a much more polished device and Sense UI is VERY well done.
    The Hero is snappier in general and especially so in email (I get 100-250 emails a day).

The Hero has multi-tasking; it is just different from the Pre's (and more akin to Windows Mobile imo). However, there are a few significant improvements over WM. With Sense UI you essentially have 7 cards available to always be open and, possibly more importantly, setup however you want. Also, web browsing can be done in different windows simultaneously (I believe up to 5 windows?). Tasks have to be managed with a task killer (much like WM).

After having seeing a home screen again (with important basic info right there whenever you look at your phone) I realized that it is such a convenience that it cannot be understated. I have had this functionality for years with my Smartphone’s and seeing it again made me realize (again) how much I truly need/want this.
    I have mentioned it before, but this is a HUGE oversight by Palm imo.

Battery Life - Significantly better than the Palm Pre stock battery. It has a 1500mah battery and it is noticeable. I used the Hero all day yesterday with multiple email accounts setup, very heavy web browsing and simply playing around with the phone. At midnight when I placed it on the charger it still had over 30% battery life. My Pre with a stock battery would have been dead by 8pm easily.

Web browsing does seem to be a little slower than on the Pre but only slightly. Also, the pinch to zoom in/out method works... but it is nowhere as fluid as the Pre. It is certainly serviceable but not quite as elegant.

Apps - Not even close. I wasn't sure how big of a difference there would really be for useful apps. After going through the Android marketplace for a couple days now, it is very significant. Everyone already knows (or should) that the android has more apps but the thing that surprised me was how many useful apps are there AND their price. There are tons of useful free apps. Many apps (or equivalent apps) that are on the Palm marketplace for $.99 - $9.99+ are also on the Android marketplace for free.

So far I am very impressed with the Hero. At stock builds (no homebrew/custom hacks) the Hero blows the Pre away with its polished UI, build quality, battery life, app support and it's battery life.

Yes, I said battery life twice.
    I have Seidio extended (2600mah) currently in My Pre currently but it also is often mistake for a hockey puck. My wife still has a stock battery in hers.

Also, if you take away homebrew's and tweaks/hacks (which your average consumer will never use or consider) these phones are not even close imo. Homebrew's and tweaks/hacks are the only thing that is making the Pre serviceable for me at this point and I am even more concerned about the Pre now that 1.3.1 has wreaked some small havoc on those. I certainly do not want to have to go through cleaning my device and setting up all the tweaks again every time a patch is released.

I am probably going to continue to use both phones for another week or so and evaluate it further. For what it's worth, I wasn't really crazy about the Hero after evaluating it twice in the Sprint store for 20-30 minutes. It just seems like the more I use it, the more I like it. Unfortunately the Pre has had the opposite effect (to this point). I was very optimistic and excited about the Pre when I initially purchased it and have been less and less optimistic (and happy) as time goes by...
    BTW I do not hate the vitual keyboard as badly as I thought I would.
    After using it for a couple days, the landscape keyboard is pretty easy to use and well designed overall. However I do think this might be a issue for people with larger hands or long nails?

The portrait keyboard is servicable but much more difficult (for me) to type easily with.

I still prefer the Pre's physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I have a Hero and am contemplating a switch to Pre before my 30 days are up. I agree with your general comments but I'd say to give it a week or two. The lag has increased noticeably for me over time and it takes 3-5 seconds after my Hero wakes up for me to open the notification bar to check a text message. This is annoying, but what really bothers me is the lag in touch response. When I want to call someone, I often have to press call multiple times wondering if it registered my on-screen button press. This results in me accidentally hanging up on someone or sometimes calling the wrong person by accident. Also, the lag effects the software keyboard so it takes me significantly longer to type something up than I'd like it to. I have the advanced task killer installed so I kill "renegade" apps frequently and do a full reset of the phone one a day, but this doesn't really seem to help.

Also, there is not a good seal around the screen in the Hero and I now have dust accumulating in one of the corners of my screen. Again, this is not a deal killer but pretty annoying after having the phone only two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbriefs View Post
    When I want to call someone, I often have to press call multiple times wondering if it registered my on-screen button press. This results in me accidentally hanging up on someone or sometimes calling the wrong person by accident.
    Both my wife and I have this issue also (with our Pre's).
    This is my wife's biggest complaint about the Pre.

I would say 1 out of 3 calls are improperly handled.
    But with the Pre, you can slide to initiate call... and slide to end call. There's also a patch in development that will allow you to just hit the volume rocker to initiate a call straight to speakerphone (for the times that you're driving).

Pre == WIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Heh... glad somebody got a kick outta that. I'm not sure what those guys were thinking when they said that enabling graphics acceleration wouldn't AT LEAST double the speed of the Pre and give it nearly 50% greater battery life. I simply don't think they realize how many graphical animations/transitions there are in the Pre. But I'll be willing to admit defeat when they come back and show me some numbers of how many processes are actually used for each of the many animations/transitions. There's at least a dozen key graphical "features" that cause the lag seen with the CPU. Enabling graphics acceleration would free more CPU processes than [most] any developer would know what to do with.

This is exactly what I said when I hopped into this thread. I only played with the Hero for 30 min in the Sprint store, but it was very clear that the browser on the Hero really couldn't compare to the Pre. Even just double-tapping a column in the Hero's browser would never resize it the way I wanted. The Pre does just it right every time (except in text fields on occasion). Pre's DEFINITELY better in these two areas, and they were certainly the highlights of what I was looking for in terms of functionality for a device I'll have for 12+ months.

Me too. Those are definitely the Pre's highlights... along with the potential that is Palm & WebOS. Updates should be in sync soon enough with foreign carriers and the Pixi. And, of course, there is no forum quite like this one for Android that is the "home" of homebrew, development, and community in general. And also... competition is good... so hopefully Palm can keep cranking out great ideas that other people can rip off of. Palm is the perfect blend between Apple & Google. They take the best of each model and throw it into one bad *** melting pot.

Fair enough. What do you NEED your smartphone to do? From the rest of your post, it looks like you just need a calendar. Dude... I'm sure your PSP could handle that, right?!?

Why do people always say this? If this were the case, the iPhone would've never sold. Everybody would've bought a Treo 755p because it had EVERYTHING that the iPhone didn't have AND THEN SOME. The only thing that the iPhone had was the UI with pretty transitions. That's it... and it sold MILLIONS.

Correct. Your PSP has an *awesome* browser. Lemme tell ya.

As jabou has pointed out, WebOS will be updated many, many, many times... while the Hero will be LUCKY to get one software update. Why would HTC waste their time on working with Sprint to update Android 1.5 when 2.1 will be coming out soon enough on the HTC Shazzam and HTC BlamBlow. This is the reason I bought the Pre last week was because of the hardware/software integration. It makes a ton of sense. The splintering of Android on devices that didn't actually create Android doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, because the manufacturer's will have no incentive to release updates to their older hardware when they can simply release newer hardware with the newer OS.

You're comparing a 2nd generation iPhone with 3rd generation software to a Pre, which has been around for 5 months? Very fair.

If all you need is a calendar, perhaps I should introduce you to the Redneck Palm Pilot... Redneck Palm Pilot
    They said it would not make it a phone with "essentially" a dual core processor you *****. And you typed so many long damn messages ppl gave up.

Is English your first language?
    Does it look like English is my first language, ya little pimple?

Who said what? And where did they say it? Also, did you ask them for their definition of "essentially"? It seems to vary from person to person.
    As jabou has pointed out, WebOS will be updated many, many, many times... while the Hero will be LUCKY to get one software update. Why would HTC waste their time on working with Sprint to update Android 1.5 when 2.1 will be coming out soon enough on the HTC Shazzam and HTC BlamBlow. This is the reason I bought the Pre last week was because of the hardware/software integration. It makes a ton of sense. The splintering of Android on devices that didn't actually create Android doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, because the manufacturer's will have no incentive to release updates to their older hardware when they can simply release newer hardware with the newer OS.

You're comparing a 2nd generation iPhone with 3rd generation software to a Pre, which has been around for 5 months? Very fair.
    I believe HTC has already announced the Hero will get Android 2.0 (a.k.a. Eclair).

This webOS 1 gen vs iPhone 3rd gen... yadda yadda argument is old, tired and ridiculous. You compare current offerings in the same market place to each other. Not offerings separated by 2-3 years. Especially in technology....
    It's just ****** to make that comparison... and you just show complete bias and a narrow minded outlook.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    My Hero accidently came as an HTC Touch Pro2. I can tell you all one thing for sure-- The iPhone, WebOS, and Android all are intuitive-- winmo is just awful. I had a windows mobile phone a couple of years back in the earlier days of smartphones and it was much more competitive. The TouchPro2 hardware is georgeous- large bright screen, AMAZING keyboard, but the user interface is so convoluted and the process of getting apps to winmobile is just insane.

I re-activated my Pre and I am awaiting a trial Hero.
    I got my Sprint Hero on the 14th Oct. and I'm having the same issues as well. The 1st week the phone was working fairly quick and pretty responsive. As I started adding the widgets I needed, it started to slow down considerably. 3 widgets running seems to be the max amount the system can handle before becoming frustratingly slow.

Calling someone is a pain especially if using the favorites widget because of the lag. Multiple press hang ups are common place.

Also, when google contacts are updated. The contacts images become blurry.

Typing can be a nightmare because the onscreen keyboard takes up more than half of the screen and the auto suggestion covers up exactly where your writing.

The Hero is a good phone and a bit better than the myTouch 3g but well behind the iPhone 3gS or 3g in performance and ease of use. It is not the Super phone that some have made it out to be. I'm getting my Palm Pre today and will find out for myself if all the bashing is warranted while comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by bmbriefs View Post
    I have a Hero and am contemplating a switch to Pre before my 30 days are up. I agree with your general comments but I'd say to give it a week or two. The lag has increased noticeably for me over time and it takes 3-5 seconds after my Hero wakes up for me to open the notification bar to check a text message. This is annoying, but what really bothers me is the lag in touch response. When I want to call someone, I often have to press call multiple times wondering if it registered my on-screen button press. This results in me accidentally hanging up on someone or sometimes calling the wrong person by accident. Also, the lag effects the software keyboard so it takes me significantly longer to type something up than I'd like it to. I have the advanced task killer installed so I kill "renegade" apps frequently and do a full reset of the phone one a day, but this doesn't really seem to help.

Also, there is not a good seal around the screen in the Hero and I now have dust accumulating in one of the corners of my screen. Again, this is not a deal killer but pretty annoying after having the phone only two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    My Hero accidently came as an HTC Touch Pro2. I can tell you all one thing for sure-- The iPhone, WebOS, and Android all are intuitive-- winmo is just awful. I had a windows mobile phone a couple of years back in the earlier days of smartphones and it was much more competitive. The TouchPro2 hardware is georgeous- large bright screen, AMAZING keyboard, but the user interface is so convoluted and the process of getting apps to winmobile is just insane.

I re-activated my Pre and I am awaiting a trial Hero.
    Yeah, I played with one the other day and I absolutely loved the hardware. HTC's high-end phones are still my favorites. Something like that (but with a capacitive screen) and running Android 2.x or WebOS would be sweet. Love the WebOS but there is such nicer hardware out there. Still, while I'm not as anti-WM as you, I agree that it's tough to go back. I had a pretty good time with my Mogul and Touch Pro but the mobile OS market has just progressed a lot since any big WM changes were made. It's decent but not up to date. Maybe if they can hurry up and get WM7 finished and running on a sweet Tegra phone with QWERTY slider...I might just have to shell out for one after my year is up in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I believe HTC has already announced the Hero will get Android 2.0 (a.k.a. Eclair).

This webOS 1 gen vs iPhone 3rd gen... yadda yadda argument is old, tired and ridiculous. You compare current offerings in the same market place to each other. Not offerings separated by 2-3 years. Especially in technology....
    It's just ****** to make that comparison... and you just show complete bias and a narrow minded outlook.
    But the 1st gen vs 3rd gen point is important. That is THE ENTIRE reason I bought the phone 3 weeks ago. After thinking for months and months that I was probly gonna give up on Palm and switch to Android... I watched a few interviews with Jon Rubenstein where he was pushing that Palm is a software company now. And after seeing them drop a new release every 5 weeks or so now, I figured this is exactly what I want for my phone. I want a rolling release cycle every few weeks with new features that I have to read on PreCentral to find. It makes it an exciting ride that Android will not get to enjoy.

HTC will not be pushing updates like this. Samsung will not be pushing updates like this. webOS has the far more developer friendly atmosphere, which would especially include PreCentral. The SDK will be updating, too. Pixi, Pre (Sprint), & Pre (Bell) all have their software in sync now. Again, this is something that Android users will miss -- parity.

We might be missing mic APIs for another 5-10 weeks... but I can promise you, they'll show up very soon. The version thing is very important in this debate because Pre v1 hardware with v1.6 or v2.0 software is going to surpass any dreams I'd ever had for a smartphone... and, at the rate Palm's going now, it won't take them too terribly long to get there. Every aspect of the Palm platform is just a beauty to me at this time. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by boysenberry View Post
    The Hero is a good phone and a bit better than the myTouch 3g but well behind the iPhone 3gS or 3g in performance and ease of use. It is not the Super phone that some have made it out to be. I'm getting my Palm Pre today and will find out for myself if all the bashing is warranted while comparing the two.
    It's not. Make sure you check out my guide to get homebrew working in no time.
    HTC will not be pushing updates like this. Samsung will not be pushing updates like this. webOS has the far more developer friendly atmosphere, which would especially include PreCentral. The SDK will be updating, too. Pixi, Pre (Sprint), & Pre (Bell) all have their software in sync now. Again, this is something that Android users will miss -- parity.
    Wow, this is such spectacular misinformation that it must be flame, right?

Android has been updated far more frequently than any other mobile OS. Period.
    Every phone manufacturer that is using Android has been pushing OTA updates in sync with other phone manufacturers that employ completely different UIs? And they've been doing this every 5 weeks or so?

I was unaware.
    Every phone manufacturer that is using Android has been pushing OTA updates in sync with other phone manufacturers that employ completely different UIs? And they've been doing this every 5 weeks or so?

I was unaware.

Yes you are, since the G1 about a year ago we had pre-cupcake 1.0, cupcake cupcake 1.5, donut 1.6 and now eclair about to drop. they are not as frequent as webos updates but when they are pushed they are usually MAJOR milestones and not a couple things here and their. all the devices that dont get OTA updates end up getting them anyhow one way or another from community builds which usually run much better, are stupid simple to flash and add features everyone wants. i'd much rather see updates less frequent but include ALOT then to push out 7-8 changes every couple weeks that dont address complaints from previous builds.
    So you've had 3 updates in a year. That's not bad, but I really like the pace of Palm's updates every few weeks, and that was my main decision behind not going with Android. There's been more than 100 fixes in each webOS release, not just 7-8 changes.

I really would like to see a list of release dates for Android updates across the wide board of manufacturers. And going to the "community" for updates doesn't count. If the phone doesn't say "Install Now" when an update is ready, then 90% of the people using the phone won't have that update.

With Palm bringing 3 phones (well, 2 phones on 2 carriers) to parity with the same exact OS at the same exact time... things become better for numerous reasons. As soon as the European Pres are brought to parity, support issues will be minimalized.

Palm has given incredible updates, in all honesty... considering they've only begun to get things rolling. Once all the national & international carriers are "in sync" with Palm... I don't see much stopping them.

I was unaware.
    Sprint has yet to put out an update for the Hero even though HTC has said it has sent a fix to the sms issue among others to Sprint.

I've had the Hero for over a month, not a long time I know, but although HTC has confirmed support for Android 2.0, Sprint has not confirmed it publicly and has been hush hush about updates or at least ambiguous about them.

From what I have read, T-Mobile has been quick to update, but Sprint has already acknowledged that there will be NO OTA updates for the Hero and that you'll have to download them from their site to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Please update us (especially me) on your opinion on the Pre after using the Hero.
    I think the Pre has a better OS then Android. IT takes way too many clicks to get things done on the Android. You're always having to hit the menu key, and then make a selection before you get to where you want to be. Unless you take up valuable real estate on the home screens, you have to go to menu>settings>wifi/bluetooth to turn wifi or bluetooth on or off. I like WebOSs way of handling it in the notification bar at the top. I also like webos's way of notifications better.

The problems with the Pre: battery life, lack of a usable/reliable virtual keyboard, physical keyboard is too small, no voice commands or video support and no virtual voicemail (although there are workarounds to that).

I can live with the lack of apps, as the Pre is new, but the rest of it can't be fixed with an OS update and needs a new Pre altogether. If they can fix that stuff, I'd be back to the pre in a flash.