Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 913
  1. #801  
    Dear grndslm,

    LOL.

    That is all
  2. Faculak99's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #802  
    AGAIN - it depends what you use it for. I was soooooo looking forward to the PRE, but the Hero will be my next phone soon if I don't see the bugs going away in the PRE.

    If you use the phone for what a real smartphone was meant to do, then the Hero would be the winner TODAY. I can't speak for tomorrow. A real smartphone is not goofy apps, nor is it the ability to browse the web, christ my PSP can do that.

    A smartphone needs to keep accurate contacts with quick and easy access. A smartphone needs to have a reliable calender that can sync with your web information. Currently the PRE has bugs with both issues. No favorites for contacts other than the old push and hold a number on the dial pad. And no, homebrews don't count. I shouldn't have to jack my phone up for it to be useful. The calender crap is what kills me. Repeat events, or events lost. I can't afford for that crap to happen. If I make appointments, they need to be kept.

    I love the cards too, and the physical shape of the thing (PRE) is awesome. However, a smartphone can't be a smartphone, if it makes you look like a *******. I miss an appointment for even one grievance or hearing, and my clients make me feel the loss both physically and financially.

    Get the PRE if you can be patient on the OS, but as technology is soaring to new heights every second, I plan to go Hero, then hopefully get another look at the Web OS from Palm at a later time when it acts like a smartphone!


    Currently I have a 3G iPhone. Here is an example of a great smartphone ruined by a terrible provider. ATT sucks, and for the same reasons I mentioned about the PRE, the syncing calenders with ATT's 3G network is just as sorry.

    Enjoy your new phone! -- LOL
  3. jaman71's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #803  
    Keep in mind the Hero is stuck right now on Andoid 1.5. The G1 on T-mobile is on Android 1.6 and the new Droid is on 2.0
    That is very lame in my book for a lot of reasons.
  4. #804  
    I recently made a thread for pre vs hero, an then came across this one. Doesn't seem like anyones posted in a while but, I had the hero for a few weeks and returned it for a pre, my girlfriend kept her htc hero. I love the ui on the pre, and felt that the web browser is sooo much better for navagating in web pages. To respont to other peoples coments, the pres interface is kinda slugish, but the efects that flow are 2nd to none. I use my phone for web browsing not apps so much so android doesn't win for me there although some people, maby most get phones based on apps, so maby android is better for some people. I have tested the browsers side by side, when downloading large web pages like myspace profiles, and other large data intensive pages, my pre beats my girlfriends hero when timed by about 15 seconds to completely download the pages. The hero ui is more snappy, but like I said, for me the browser is where its at, and the pre toys with the hero. The hero is rich with features, so I do like the hero alot, and could have been happy with it. If pre would ad video, flash, and more apps, it would be hands down, pre victorious. I'll also note that I disabled plugins in the hero browser, which disables flash and it mad hardly any difference in web speed. If its alot of cool features, apps, and customization you like, get android, if you want very smooth, capable web browsing, its pre. An I like the pre ui enough to not want to customize it anyway. Thanks guys...
  5. #805  
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hk11 View Post
    Dear grndslm,

    LOL.

    That is all
    Heh... glad somebody got a kick outta that. I'm not sure what those guys were thinking when they said that enabling graphics acceleration wouldn't AT LEAST double the speed of the Pre and give it nearly 50% greater battery life. I simply don't think they realize how many graphical animations/transitions there are in the Pre. But I'll be willing to admit defeat when they come back and show me some numbers of how many processes are actually used for each of the many animations/transitions. There's at least a dozen key graphical "features" that cause the lag seen with the CPU. Enabling graphics acceleration would free more CPU processes than [most] any developer would know what to do with.

    Quote Originally Posted by lexspre View Post
    I did several speed tests downloading large myspace pages, and dozens of other pages. The palm pre loaded about 9 out of 10 pages faster, I actually timed them and the pre completely loaded pages on average 14 to 15 seconds faster than the hero, both very even on the quality the page was rendered, full desktop quality. Although the hero displays flash which is fun. I disabled plugins in the her browser and it disabled flash, the timed results were exactly the same...pre is way faster! One more thing to note is that the pinch to zoom is amazingly buggy on the hero so pre was faster, but also way easier to navagate around. Lastly, the camera on the hero takes slightly blurry pictures, although 5 magapixels, zoom feature, and auto focus, the pre takes more clear pictues, so when you zoom into a pictture you have taken, its very clear...in the proper lighting.
    This is exactly what I said when I hopped into this thread. I only played with the Hero for 30 min in the Sprint store, but it was very clear that the browser on the Hero really couldn't compare to the Pre. Even just double-tapping a column in the Hero's browser would never resize it the way I wanted. The Pre does just it right every time (except in text fields on occasion). Pre's DEFINITELY better in these two areas, and they were certainly the highlights of what I was looking for in terms of functionality for a device I'll have for 12+ months.

    Quote Originally Posted by lexspre View Post
    I should note, for me, I care less about apps which the hero has plenty of, and I need great web browsing and good camera.
    Me too. Those are definitely the Pre's highlights... along with the potential that is Palm & WebOS. Updates should be in sync soon enough with foreign carriers and the Pixi. And, of course, there is no forum quite like this one for Android that is the "home" of homebrew, development, and community in general. And also... competition is good... so hopefully Palm can keep cranking out great ideas that other people can rip off of. Palm is the perfect blend between Apple & Google. They take the best of each model and throw it into one bad *** melting pot.

    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    AGAIN - it depends what you use it for.
    Fair enough. What do you NEED your smartphone to do? From the rest of your post, it looks like you just need a calendar. Dude... I'm sure your PSP could handle that, right?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    If you use the phone for what a real smartphone was meant to do, then the Hero would be the winner TODAY.
    Why do people always say this? If this were the case, the iPhone would've never sold. Everybody would've bought a Treo 755p because it had EVERYTHING that the iPhone didn't have AND THEN SOME. The only thing that the iPhone had was the UI with pretty transitions. That's it... and it sold MILLIONS.

    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    A real smartphone is not goofy apps, nor is it the ability to browse the web, christ my PSP can do that.
    Correct. Your PSP has an *awesome* browser. Lemme tell ya.

    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Get the PRE if you can be patient on the OS, but as technology is soaring to new heights every second, I plan to go Hero, then hopefully get another look at the Web OS from Palm at a later time when it acts like a smartphone!
    As jabou has pointed out, WebOS will be updated many, many, many times... while the Hero will be LUCKY to get one software update. Why would HTC waste their time on working with Sprint to update Android 1.5 when 2.1 will be coming out soon enough on the HTC Shazzam and HTC BlamBlow. This is the reason I bought the Pre last week was because of the hardware/software integration. It makes a ton of sense. The splintering of Android on devices that didn't actually create Android doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, because the manufacturer's will have no incentive to release updates to their older hardware when they can simply release newer hardware with the newer OS.

    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Currently I have a 3G iPhone. Here is an example of a great smartphone ruined by a terrible provider. ATT sucks, and for the same reasons I mentioned about the PRE, the syncing calenders with ATT's 3G network is just as sorry.
    You're comparing a 2nd generation iPhone with 3rd generation software to a Pre, which has been around for 5 months? Very fair.

    If all you need is a calendar, perhaps I should introduce you to the Redneck Palm Pilot... Redneck Palm Pilot
  6. #806  
    You guys are comparing the pre browser to the group and your leaving out key points. Last I checked you can't view youtube without a direct link with the pre. You don't have any flash. You have to flip the phone sideways just so you can see the small text.. no intelligent zoom. No options except turning off java and pop-ups. It's not a bad phone but even when things are plain to see. Pre lovers still make excuses for the phone. Go pick up a hero and look in the options for the browser and then you will see all the options missing. My hero is just as fast for browsing if I disable javascript. I have done side by side comps

    I compare the two in many ways and the more I use the hero the more I forget about the pre. The hero is a better phone and the numbers will proove it soon enough. Palm has to continue to update because they sold you an incomplete product. All I need is 2.0 and I am good. One update, not 10 and a boat load of patches to get my phone to do what I want.
    I know the flaming is coming, so excuse me while I get my popcorn.
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 11/07/2009 at 08:05 AM.
  7. #807  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    You're comparing a 2nd generation iPhone with 3rd generation software to a Pre, which has been around for 5 months? Very fair.
    I hear this argument a lot, and it always kind of bugs me. It's a fair argument if you're comparing the development of the OS, or discussing whether Palm is on the right track with OS / updates, etc. However, it's not a compelling argument if someone is comparing which phone they'd buy, or which one is the "better phone".

    When a person walks into a store, they don't buy on future potential - they want to buy the one that best meets their needs now. They don't say "well, if I had a choice between the Pre and the original iPhone, Pre would win, so I'll buy that". They say "well, the Pre is off to a good start, but the 3GS meets my needs better so I'll buy that."

    I love my Pre, and I'm sure that the next version will be even better. But I'd consider an Android phone if it had a hardware keyboard, larger (maybe AMOLED) screen and if Android 2.x is slick. I'm actually tempted by the Moment more than the Hero.
    Last edited by Bujin; 11/07/2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  8. #808  
    1+ above. It's about now for me and most people. If palm fixes the issues on the next pre, I can see it being great, but its incomplete as of now. They have a very intuitive product with lots of potential.
  9. #809  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    1+ above. It's about now for me and most people. If palm fixes the issues on the next pre, I can see it being great, but its incomplete as of now. They have a very intuitive product with lots of potential.
    People keep talking about the next Pre. Palm would have to release a different form factor (slab) to get me interested again. Big high rez screen, high end phone.

    I'll have to wait to see what Apple has in mind before worrying about upgrading.
  10. #810  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    People keep talking about the next Pre. Palm would have to release a different form factor (slab) to get me interested again. Big high rez screen, high end phone.

    I'll have to wait to see what Apple has in mind before worrying about upgrading.
    I really don't see a slab happening - they've invested a great deal in the idea that the keyboard and multi-tasking are what differentiates them from the iPhone. But time will tell.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  11. #811  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    However, it's not a compelling argument if someone is comparing which phone they'd buy, or which one is the "better phone".
    That's my point tho... when people were buying the first gen iPhone... every last one of them made the wrong decision when it came to the "better phone". It had no SDK, no 3rd party apps, no supported homebrew, no MMS, no video recording, no copy & paste, no hardware keyboard, etc. Yet it still sold? Why? Because people liked the Apple "platform".

    Same reason I bought the Palm over the Android phones. I like their platform better. I like that they have the best hardware keyboards around, I like the portrait sliding keyboard, I like the rolling updates for constant tweaking, I like the supported homebrew, I love the sweet camera (I want to see one person take pics in the same spot with the Pre, 3Gs, and Droid), I love the browser (other than text fields sometimes! ), and, of course, I love this forum!! The fact that Palm isn't Apple or Google is a plus for me, too, because I want more competition... a company that is thinking of things like the Pre form factor, WebOS, Synergy, Palm Backup, etc. They might not be the most profound implementation of those ideas... but they were AMAZING ideas that others are ripping off. I wanna see what else Palm can pull outta their sleeves.

    There's a lot I love about this phone, and I didn't buy it on potential (tho it does have A TON more than any other phone). It does pretty much everything I need it to right now, even tho Calendar & Mail are a bit slow. I can deal with those while the platform continues to grow and solidify. But that's just me. If others don't see what I see, then I'll just end up leading a dull Android life. That'll be the end of liveliness & competition in the smartphone arena. Game over. Once you've tweaked Android v4.8, you'll forget what REAL tweaking was like. Right now... "There is another", and I will enjoy my tweaking a new & different platform. This is what I consider fun. Other people... maybe not so much.
  12. #812  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    That's my point tho... when people were buying the first gen iPhone... every last one of them made the wrong decision when it came to the "better phone". It had no SDK, no 3rd party apps, no supported homebrew, no MMS, no video recording, no copy & paste, no hardware keyboard, etc. Yet it still sold? Why? Because people liked the Apple "platform".

    Same reason I bought the Palm over the Android phones. I like their platform better. I like that they have the best hardware keyboards around, I like the portrait sliding keyboard, I like the rolling updates for constant tweaking, I like the supported homebrew, I love the sweet camera (I want to see one person take pics in the same spot with the Pre, 3Gs, and Droid), I love the browser (other than text fields sometimes! ), and, of course, I love this forum!! The fact that Palm isn't Apple or Google is a plus for me, too, because I want more competition... a company that is thinking of things like the Pre form factor, WebOS, Synergy, Palm Backup, etc. They might not be the most profound implementation of those ideas... but they were AMAZING ideas that others are ripping off. I wanna see what else Palm can pull outta their sleeves.

    There's a lot I love about this phone, and I didn't buy it on potential (tho it does have A TON more than any other phone). It does pretty much everything I need it to right now, even tho Calendar & Mail are a bit slow. I can deal with those while the platform continues to grow and solidify. But that's just me. If others don't see what I see, then I'll just end up leading a dull Android life. That'll be the end of liveliness & competition in the smartphone arena. Game over. Once you've tweaked Android v4.8, you'll forget what REAL tweaking was like. Right now... "There is another", and I will enjoy my tweaking a new & different platform. This is what I consider fun. Other people... maybe not so much.
    you sir deserve a thanks for this post. Its the post that had made the most sense coming from a Palm supporter rather than the excuse of ''in due time''

    Enjoy you Pre and perhaps i will join you all again when i see the update im looking for in webos

    Cheers
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  13. #813  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    That's my point tho... when people were buying the first gen iPhone... every last one of them made the wrong decision when it came to the "better phone". It had no SDK, no 3rd party apps, no supported homebrew, no MMS, no video recording, no copy & paste, no hardware keyboard, etc. Yet it still sold? Why? Because people liked the Apple "platform".
    Your point is completely absurd. "every last one of them" did not "make the wrong decision hen it came to the "better phone"". The original iPhone was better than the competition in at least a couple of ways. Web browsing and media (mp3/video etc). It is still better than the competition for media consumption and has been equaled but not bettered in Web browsing.
  14. #814  
    Umm... no.

    Media browsing != "Better phone"
    Web browser != "Better phone"

    Right off the bat, it's impossible for AT&T to offer a "better phone" to anybody.

    ALSO!! The big key behind the original iPhone is that it was NEVER a smartphone. The definition of a smartphone was one that allowed installation of 3rd party apps. The iPhone didn't technically become a smartphone until last year.

    Soo.... HAHA... I'm right, like always. No matter whether you look at the iPhone from a phone point of view or smartphone point of view, EVERYONE who bought a first-gen made the WRONG decision when it came to the better phone.
  15. SenenCito's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #815  
    Quote Originally Posted by coreymcl View Post
    Well like I have stated before in this thread I have both and am using the Hero right now. However, should Palm release the expected Facebook app and include video capture support in the next release I will be switching back to using the Pre as my primary device.

    I am really starting to miss the swipe to delete txt messages. Also I just can not increase my accuracy in typing either.
    im Lucky enough to be jumping on this boat too, got a Hero for under $200 and also keeping my pre, that way I can see how both evolve down the road. To be honest I believe android will grow better, the push from google is just too damn strong at this moment.

    right now what I need the most is better recepcion, something which my Pre has been consistently awful at, and longer battery life. Here's hoping.
  16. #816  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Umm... no.

    Media browsing != "Better phone"
    Web browser != "Better phone"

    Right off the bat, it's impossible for AT&T to offer a "better phone" to anybody.

    ALSO!! The big key behind the original iPhone is that it was NEVER a smartphone. The definition of a smartphone was one that allowed installation of 3rd party apps. The iPhone didn't technically become a smartphone until last year.

    Soo.... HAHA... I'm right, like always. No matter whether you look at the iPhone from a phone point of view or smartphone point of view, EVERYONE who bought a first-gen made the WRONG decision when it came to the better phone.
    You are a genius in your own mind.

    BTW If you are going to judge a smartphone phone by its network in the US, the Droid kicks the Pre's **** (and the iPhones). OTOH if you need a phone to work in as many countries as possible, the iPhone is better than either but the BB Tour leaves both in the dust.
  17. #817  
    I am a genius... true!

    But me being so smart has nothing to do with the fact that the first-gen iPhone was NOT a smartphone. NO 3rd party apps = NO smartphone.

    And I average about 1 1/2 dropped calls a year with Sprint (from the boonies in OK down thru TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, TN, and AR). I really do average about 3 calls per 2 years jumping around all those states. So... no network could possibly be better than that, not even Verizon. Sprint can roam on Verizon's voice network anyway... so I'm not sure how you can say Verizon's got a better network. If anything, that only helps out Sprint just as much.

    And, fortunately, I don't travel out of the States often. And if I did... I'd get a Tour. If I did manage to go out of the country once every year or so... I'd just get a prepaid GSM phone, or a cheap GSM phone off eBay. No sense in suffering with a BB for two years for a couple vacations out of the States.
  18. tintheman's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #818  
    Just want to say what I think about the Pre and the Hero...I did jump from Pre to Hero and I do think at the moment, Hero has better usabilities than Pre. Don't get me wrong though, I love how Pre is operated and multitasking but I have to let it go now since I need other functions that Hero offers. Hero is quite quick on switching apps and emails, in many ways are quicker than Pre but Pre does have better browser and screen resolution. I will wait for Pre to be mature and come back later. I have to say that this forum is one of the best I have ever encountered. I hope you guys continue and hope your Pres will get the better update soon. I do miss the Pre whenever I tried to swipe the screen on my Hero
  19. #819  
    I bought my son a Hero this week. It's definitely a fun phone and meets his needs well (which mainly consist of calling, texting, some gaming, and mostly showing off for his friends.

    I was impressed by build quality, the visual look of the SenseUI, the widget-based OS, and the number of apps. I did find myself tempted by it a bit, but after playing with it, I really don't think I could give up the ease of multitasking, the physical keyboard, and the universal search / synergy. It all comes down to matching the phone and the person's needs.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  20. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #820  
    It looks as if my Pre is going into a drawer for now and the Hero is up for a trial. I will try to hang onto the Hero until 2.0 is released for it and make my final call then.

    Here are my reasons:
    Battery life - hopefully the Hero will be an improvement.
    Screen size
    Keyboard- this is an interesting one- after using a droid and an iphone I find IF the virtual keyboard is good I don't need the physical one. It just takes up space and weight. The virtual keyboard for WebOS is just not that good.
    Apps - Android apps are more mature and developed. Hopefully Palm will catch up.

    I am a long time Palm user and think WebOS is beautiful- the multitasking and notifications are awesome. As it all matures though, the apps need to catch up. I hope they do in time for Palm to survive.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions