Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 913
  1. #741  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    Just throwing out a fyi. Not to anybody in particular. There was some question about the pre browser being faster. That is wrong. Disable javascript and gears settings and the hero will render faster. I have been testing my pre and hero with wifi and the hero beats it. Also at 129.00 with reward zone 50 discount is there any question left.

    How do you do that? Does it hurt anything to disable javascipt and gears? Thanks for helping a pre to hero convert!
  2. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    #742  
    [QUOTE=windzilla;2009530][QUOTE=migs;2009521]Well this is not good news for Palm
    [url]

    the link seems broken

    for some reason someone deleted my precentral post wierd
    here ya go

    News leaked that the Droid Eris (basically a rebadged HTC Hero) will be released Nov 6th alongside the Droid. Eris will be $99 after rebate

    This is a kick in the pants to Sprint and Palm as the Eris may take some of the thunder away from the Nov 15 release of the Pixi which also will be $99

    Verizon's Eris will also undercut its twin brother, Sprint's HTC Hero by $80

    This is going to be an all out war of smart phones Im betting Sprint will lower prices even further
    Last edited by migs; 10/31/2009 at 05:46 PM.
  3. #743  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Well this is not good news for Palm


    Verizon's Eris will also undercut its twin brother, Sprint's HTC Hero by $80

    This is going to be an all out war of smart phones Im betting Sprint will lower prices even further
    Verizon can pay people $200-300 dollars to get on their plan with a free Eris and Sprint still saves you more money. With the prices Verizon charges for basic calling plans you have to be an ***** to leave Sprint.
  4. #744  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    How do you do that? Does it hurt anything to disable javascipt and gears? Thanks for helping a pre to hero convert!
    pull up the browser and hit the menu key and that will give you a menu with black background. the third option should be javascript, uncheck that. then go to the bottom and uncheck gears. I have been leaving gears on so I can still get my youtube in the browser. I may be wrong on the third one down but it's there. I am on my computer and my phone is in another room. Too lazy to get up. Just disabling the javascript will make the phone browse just as fast or sometimes faster than the pre. good luck

    this will not hurt anything whatsoever. What it is doing is causing the flash to be stopped. This is the reason why the browser is slow out of the box. When the pre gets flash it will be just as slow. The difference is most likely the pre won't have an option to stop it. My guess seeing the lack of options in webos currently
  5. #745  
    Thetruth.....I did that. Thanks. What happens if a flash is needed? Thanks for helping a tech untechie person!
  6. #746  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    Thetruth.....I did that. Thanks. What happens if a flash is needed? Thanks for helping a tech untechie person!
    if you keep gears checked and just turn off javascript alone you can still get flash content like youtube in the browser, but you won't have all those pesky adds popping up and slowing things down. I just grabbed my phone and that's how I have it setup and it is working great
  7. #747  
    the only thing under gears for me is location settings for sprint??
  8. #748  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    the only thing under gears for me is location settings for sprint??
    don't go into gears settings. Just make sure the option above that is checked, it says ENABLE PLUGINS. Gears settings can be used for specific sites or you can just check enable plugins and it will work with all sites. sorry I didn't have the phone the first time.
  9. #749  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    ........Just disabling the javascript will make the phone browse just as fast or sometimes faster than the pre......

    ......This is the reason why the browser is slow out of the box. When the pre gets flash it will be just as slow. The difference is most likely the pre won't have an option to stop it. My guess seeing the lack of options in webos currently.....
    @THETRUTH please stop spreading false insinuations and conjecture about current, as well as unknown-future options.

    The Pre has an option to disable javascript in the browser menu, which will presumably disable flash.

    furthermore, if flash uses the GPU, as adobe has stated time and time again it intends to do, the pre, with its superior processor, may not be debilitated in the same way the HERO is with its 3 year old chip.

    but of course, palm could decide to remove the option from preferences to force flash on us. and flash, in its full release, could forever be CPU dependent on the pre, and GPU supported on the HERO. but the former situation seems more likely to me than the latter.
  10. #750  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    @THETRUTH please stop spreading false insinuations and conjecture about current, as well as unknown-future options.

    The Pre has an option to disable javascript in the browser menu, which will presumably disable flash.

    furthermore, if flash uses the GPU, as adobe has stated time and time again it intends to do, the pre, with its superior processor, may not be debilitated in the same way the HERO is with its 3 year old chip.

    but of course, palm could decide to remove the option from preferences to force flash on us. and flash, in its full release, could forever be CPU dependent on the pre, and GPU supported on the HERO. but the former situation seems more likely to me than the latter.
    no trying to insinuate. I said it because some of the obvious options are missing in web os browser. I think we all know that. Like text size option, mobile view vs desktop view, remember passwords, option for loading and not loading images. just little things like that. my pre has three options, block popups, accept cookies, and javacript.

    I hear things about the chipset and on paper it might make the pre look faster but I am sorry to say, I have both and they are about the same when opening and closing apps. The pre is not taking full advantage of the speed they could have. So this would be a argument of once again the pre might, could, maybe get better.
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 10/31/2009 at 08:50 PM.
  11. #751  
    thetruth my reading of your post is that the pre won't be able to disable javascript and block flash like the hero. My point was more that it currently can disable javascript. This also speeds the browser as not everything javascript is flash.

    that's all. The rest including what will happen on the hero with flash 10.1 is conjecture. I agree.
  12. #752  
    Me personally I don't really like flash. Most of the time its just advertisement and I get enough of that on tv. Palm will probably make some great changes and upgrades to the browser when flash comes I'm sure.

    If palm fixes all the issues and comes out with a better build I think I would jump back. I like android because of its current state. If the pre was on the same level I would choose the pre. I think webos is awesome but it is not fitting my needs right now. That's not to put it down at all.
  13. #753  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    Me personally I don't really like flash. Most of the time its just advertisement and I get enough of that on tv. Palm will probably make some great changes and upgrades to the browser when flash comes I'm sure.

    If palm fixes all the issues and comes out with a better build I think I would jump back. I like android because of its current state. If the pre was on the same level I would choose the pre. I think webos is awesome but it is not fitting my needs right now. That's not to put it down at all.
    I agree except that for me the pre is filling my needs well and so I won't have to switch back. If it stagnates however I will be looking around come upgrade eligability.
  14. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #754  
    If the Pre stagnates, I will just glue an iPod touch 4g to it.

    I don't think that that wil lbe an issue at all however. Palm has no choice but to continue supporting WebOS, they have all their eggs in this one basket. Besides, I think there is a pretty good amount of room for Palm to expand between now and next June, with the Pixi and hte Pre on Verizon.

    As far as I'm concerned, the Pre is good enough now, and it has nowhere to go but up.

    It's not like they are going to sell the Pre2 with Windows mobile 6.5 and cut us off.
    Last edited by drizek; 10/31/2009 at 09:45 PM.
  15. Faculak99's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #755  
    What about the Dragon for Sprint. Rumor was that it would be coming out in December, anyone heard any more to that. The specs on that with the new 1ghz chipset sounds sureal.

    This seems to be the phone to wait for if it ever materializes.

    Here is a link of the early specs:
    HTC Zoom 2 (HTC Dragon) Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications
  16. #756  
    Do any of you guys who are drooling over a 1ghz Snapdragon SoC think that you'll get better battery life than the Pre or something??

    Don't you think that iPhone 3Gs is incredibly fast? Did you know that the Pre will be faster than the 3Gs in a matter of months when the GPU drivers are released? Did you know at that time the Pre's Cortex A8 will operate faster than a Snapdragon and will be far more battery efficient. One software upgrade will essentially turn the Pre into a dual-core processor that gets great battery life, like the 3Gs.

    The Pre has made outstanding tradeoffs, and I'm not sure how some of you can call yourself geeks and not notice these "better" tradeoffs.
  17. #757  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Do any of you guys who are drooling over a 1ghz Snapdragon SoC think that you'll get better battery life than the Pre or something??

    Don't you think that iPhone 3Gs is incredibly fast? Did you know that the Pre will be faster than the 3Gs in a matter of months when the GPU drivers are released? Did you know at that time the Pre's Cortex A8 will operate faster than a Snapdragon and will be far more battery efficient. One software upgrade will essentially turn the Pre into a dual-core processor that gets great battery life, like the 3Gs.

    The Pre has made outstanding tradeoffs, and I'm not sure how some of you can call yourself geeks and not notice these "better" tradeoffs.
    Snapdragon is another implementation of the same CPU technology as the Cortex A8 that's in the Pre. 1GHz Snapdragon will probably be faster than the underclocked 500MHz Cortex A8 in the Pre. As for one software upgrade making the Pre dual-core, that's misleading. Just because something has a GPU and a CPU doesn't mean that it's usually referred to as dual-core.

    But anyway, while getting GPU support in there should help quite a bit, it's also not going to be the magic bullet you make it sound like either.

    As for the iPhone 3GS getting better battery life than the Pre, it also has 1.5x the battery capacity so of course it does.

    Software just isn't going to magically fix everything. It can and should help some, but it's not going to make it perfect.
  18. #758  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Snapdragon is another implementation of the same CPU technology as the Cortex A8 that's in the Pre. 1GHz Snapdragon will probably be faster than the underclocked 500MHz Cortex A8 in the Pre. As for one software upgrade making the Pre dual-core, that's misleading. Just because something has a GPU and a CPU doesn't mean that it's usually referred to as dual-core.
    CPU + GPU does not equal dual-core processor? I'm confused. Central Processing Unit AND Graphics Processing Unit. Now that the GPU isn't in use... we have one processor working. "One software update will essentially turn the Pre into a dual-core processor." That statement is most definitely factual. The word essentially was not misleading. It would've been misleading if I hadn't used that word. And yes, everything will be quicker once the GPU is utilized. Flipping between cards, scrolling, opening apps, etc. EVERYTHING will be quicker, just like a 3Gs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But anyway, while getting GPU support in there should help quite a bit, it's also not going to be the magic bullet you make it sound like either.
    Umm... yes it is. The Pre will run faster than the 3Gs once its GPU drivers are actually put to use. That's all there is to it. Offloading the graphics instructions to the GPU will free up a ton of space for the CPU, *essentially* turning it into a dual-core processor with one software update.
  19. #759  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    CPU + GPU does not equal dual-core processor? I'm confused. Central Processing Unit AND Graphics Processing Unit. Now that the GPU isn't in use... we have one processor working. "One software update will essentially turn the Pre into a dual-core processor." That statement is most definitely factual. The word essentially was not misleading. It would've been misleading if I hadn't used that word. And yes, everything will be quicker once the GPU is utilized. Flipping between cards, scrolling, opening apps, etc. EVERYTHING will be quicker, just like a 3Gs.

    Umm... yes it is. The Pre will run faster than the 3Gs once its GPU drivers are actually put to use. That's all there is to it. Offloading the graphics instructions to the GPU will free up a ton of space for the CPU, *essentially* turning it into a dual-core processor with one software update.
    A dual-core processor typically refers to two CPU cores, not a CPU + GPU. You don't call a PC dual-processor just because you have a graphics card in it in addition to your CPU. The same goes for dual-core.

    First of all, the Pre and the iPhone 3GS have the same CPU, except the 3GS' is clocked at 600MHz, the Pre's is 500MHz. Besides that, the 3GS and the Pre both have a PowerVR SGX GPU. I don't see how you could ever say that the Pre will be more powerful than the 3GS with GPU usage.

    In addition, the 3GS has the potential for games to use native GPU instructions, which the Pre will probably not at first release of GPU support. You'd basically only be half using the GPU - to do screen draws and such, not native 3D rendering. This, as I said, will offer quite a bit of improvement. But saying it'll be dual-core, or more powerful than the 3GS is entirely misleading. I'd be willing to bet that you're only going to save maybe 20-30% CPU time by offloading screen draws, if that. That's a respectable amount, sure, but you're still definitely exaggerating the benefit.
  20. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #760  
    By summer of 2011, we will have dual core 1.2ghz ARM 9 processors. I think that Snapdragon is going to be just a minor speed boost over A8, the A9 is waht is really worth waiting for.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions