Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    I have both phones. The Hero has a lot going for it including a stable OS, slick interface, tons of widgets and available programs. It's ready to rock-n-roll out of the box. However, it's less elegant at multi-tasking and You Tube videos look horrible.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    personally i want the HTC Dragon, the Android twin brother of the HD2.... but im fine with the Hero till it releases (hopefully sprint)

as for the specs..... this is what im aware of (anybody can correct me if im wrong)

Palm Pre - 600mhz CPU clocked at 500mhz with no GPU access

HTC Hero - 528mhz CPU clocked at the full 528mhz and with GPU enabled to help with the rendering...

which one wins???
    I run my Pre at 600. http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-app-here.html
    I tried the Hero at the Sprint store the other day. Great build quality and pretty fliud UI. I expected as much and the same with all the HTC's I've owned. However, the Hero just takes me back to thinking I'm running a polished WinMo skin. I can't say exactly what it is but it just doesn't seem so evolutionarily different than WinMo or even Blackberry for that matter.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    If you had a way of combining the "card" system from Palm with Android's superior customization (widgeting), you would have an amazing device.
    It sounds and looks like the Nokia N900 launching towards mid-late November will pretty much be that.
    You Tube videos look horrible.
    You have to switch the YouTube playback setting from "normal" to "high quality". The factory setting is "normal" for some odd reason.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I can't say exactly what it is but it just doesn't seem so evolutionarily different than WinMo or even Blackberry for that matter.
    Well, not every evolutionary step is a step forward. Nature is replete with examples of evolutionary deadends and oddities. If it's pretty, but it doesn't really help you stay on top of your day as well, is it evolution that serves a purpose? I'm not saying webOS is the equivalent of the dodo, but evolution for evolution's sake isn't necessarily a worthwhile endeavor.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    You have to switch the YouTube playback setting from "normal" to "high quality". The factory setting is "normal" for some odd reason.
    Again, that seems odd to even have a "low" setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Again, that seems odd to even have a "low" setting.
    It's probably something to do with bandwidth consumption. I don't even use Youtube all that much but in the 18 days I've had the phone, I have burned through 900 MB of data without tethering or excessive streaming. Mind you I would go through 3.5 - 4GB of data on the Pre with wifi tethering.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Long time Palm user: Organizers and had original 300 flip "smart phone", and 4 others since most recently Treo 755. Was very excited in January when they made the Pre announcement. Been looking at this forum every day since January. Fortunately for me I could not upgrade until this month. Got the Hero last week and there is no turning back. Has everything I could ever want - no hardware and one software issue (text messaging draining battery - which I applied the fix to and it worked).

Just could not see getting the Pre and having to hack it to get SOME of the functions it should have had at launch. Then, the oreo, screen cracking, battery, and signal issues - who needs it! Again, VERY loyal Palm person but they got it wrong with the Pre. I will wait until better hardware/software comes out and hopefully will purchase then. That is IF Palm is still in business or has not been sold.

Seems that this is what many of you loyal Palm customers are saying as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by joehp1 View Post
    Just could not see getting the Pre and having to hack it to get SOME of the functions it should have had at launch.
    sounds like you have to "hack" you Hero for the battery drain issue.
    Then, the oreo
    Fixed, a long time ago.
    screen cracking
    Rare, but units are replaced when they are. Rare that a Sprint store would not.
    battery
    Goes all day for most everyone
    and signal issues
    YMMV, depends where in the Sprint network you are. Same would apply to the Hero
    Seems that this is what many of you loyal Palm customers are saying as well.
    No, not many, some... most are WinMo converts.

That said, the Hero is a nice piece of harware/soeftware. I think I like my Pre better...for now.
    Just throwing out a fyi. Not to anybody in particular. There was some question about the pre browser being faster. That is wrong. Disable javascript and gears settings and the hero will render faster. I have been testing my pre and hero with wifi and the hero beats it. Also at 129.00 with reward zone 50 discount is there any question left.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    Just throwing out a fyi. Not to anybody in particular. There was some question about the pre browser being faster. That is wrong. Disable javascript and gears settings and the hero will render faster. I have been testing my pre and hero with wifi and the hero beats it. Also at 129.00 with reward zone 50 discount is there any question left.
    Thanks for the tip, I will try that.
    I made the switch also from pre to hero, I was just going to try the hero out for one week before my 30 days were up. However the more I had it in my possession the more I fell in love with it. Everyone talks about lagg. Honestly, I have not experience it yet. I enjoyed my pre when i had it, I missed the multitasking abilities. But the more you use the hero the more I can multitask at a fair pace. The advantage is customization..... I'm gonna throw this out there because I honestly believe this ........... mobile world ......ANDROID IS TAKING OVER....Goodbye Precentral.....It was fun.....
    Last edited by GeekLee; 10/30/2009 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekLee View Post
    I'm gonna throw this out there because I honestly believe this ........... mobile world ......ANDROID IS TAKING OVER....Goodbye Precentral.....It was fun.....
    i whole heartily agree with this statement. But i still stick around Precentral cuz i know that WebOS has a huge potential and im awaiting the magical update to add all the features it so desperately needs and make it straight up awesome
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    The lag people talk about does not exist. I have yet to find it. The only thing that is an issue to me is force close on apps. Hopefully the apps that are comings out and being updated will address the issues. Pandora just fixed there issues and I notice a lot of apps are coming out with updates that work with the hero.

When 2.0 drops it might be the last nail on the coufin for palm. They are just too hush hush at such an important time. There next update better be great or they will miss the christmas season.
    i have both phones right now and im sorry to say but i am picking the hero over the pre. especially with the guarantee that 2.0 is coming to hero soon it the deal breaker for me. if anyone is interested in buying my palm pre u can search for it on craigslist in ventura county for only 225 with touchstone and car charger.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    The lag people talk about does not exist. I have yet to find it. The only thing that is an issue to me is force close on apps. Hopefully the apps that are comings out and being updated will address the issues. Pandora just fixed there issues and I notice a lot of apps are coming out with updates that work with the hero.

When 2.0 drops it might be the last nail on the coufin for palm. They are just too hush hush at such an important time. There next update better be great or they will miss the christmas season.
    Well this is not good news for Palm
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-99-leak.html
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Well this is not good news for Palm
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-99-leak.html
    Does it run Android 1.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Does it run Android 1.5?
    Yes. According to Engadget it's nearly identical to the Hero.
    [QUOTE=migs;2009521]Well this is not good news for Palm
    [url]

the link seems broken